Possible Baku Tyre Practice Program Issue

Question

Posted (edited)

I have just completed the Baku GP in my career and during the practice sessions, I noticed that the Tyre practice program is still broken

I say still because this has been an issue since F1 2016!

The issue I'm talking about is that the needle in the colour bar during the program goes down when you're going down the back straight and main straight. Baku isn't a tyre hungry circuit so why the hell is this program so hard to do regardless of the issue, you have to be soooo smooth on throttle application and it means I mostly can't keep up with the time objective. I spent an hour on 1 program (on 100 difficulty) Ridiculous 

There was a different issue with the Baku 'Top Speed' team objective but that has been fixed. Would be nice if the tyre one could be fixed or balanced in some way. Let me know if you've noticed the same issue :) 

Edited by DerpTheThird

15 answers to this question

Just because you cant do it doesnt mean its a bug. Its an indicator that your setup is too agressive. Lower tyre pressures, and go easy on the camber.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew210227 said:

Just because you cant do it doesnt mean its a bug. Its an indicator that your setup is too agressive. Lower tyre pressures, and go easy on the camber.

The...needle...goes...DOWN...on...the...straights...

Setup issue my arse

1 minute ago, DerpTheThird said:

The...needle...goes...DOWN...on...the...straights...

Setup issue my arse

OK then. The fact that you dont understand how this program works, and has worked for years, is a bug.

Just take a deeper look for yourself. It's definitely broken. 

As I said, it's something I've noticed since F1 2016. I have tried all types of setups on both wheel and controller on all the games since and the same thing happens.

Not too sure what you mean by I don't understand the program...what is there not to understand.

And once more...the f-in needle goes down when racing down the straights, something's wrong there. That's not a setup issue

The needle goes down on ALL tracks on the straights when your pressures are too high. That you havent noticed this before is whats surprising to me.

No it doesn't :classic_laugh: are you not reading properly

I have tried all manner of setups...same problem each time for all of the games with every car. 

I've tried everything mate. When I was doing the program yesterday I was running low pressures (F-22.2 / R-20.7) 

Stop trying to disprove me

1 hour ago, DerpTheThird said:

No it doesn't :classic_laugh: are you not reading properly

I have tried all manner of setups...same problem each time for all of the games with every car. 

I've tried everything mate. When I was doing the program yesterday I was running low pressures (F-22.2 / R-20.7) 

Stop trying to disprove me

When you tried everything, it seems your game is broken, because it worked for many others. As @Andrew210227 already said tyre wear mainly depends on setup and your behaviour for steering, brake and throttle.

Baku can be hard, because of many sharp turns and strong acceleration after it. Try to lower your corner entrance speed.

Tyre wear programs working fine for me. Please upload a vid in tyre wear program  to show your driving style and the behaviour of the tyre wear display.

Good advice in general, but when the dial goes down indicating heavy tyre wear on the straights, you really have no choice but to bail on the program as you're not going to make it anyway. It's a clear indicator that your combination of tyre pressure, camber/toe and/or general stiffness/roll is too agressive.

Contrary to OP's posts: it does actually happen on other tracks as well when your setup is way off. It makes the tyre wear program actually the only one out of the acclimatisation/fuel/ers/tyre programmes that actually helps you in your search of an optimal setup.

Something else you’ve got to watch is how you downshift into hard braking zones.  If you start downshifting and causing the engine to bang of the rev limiter with each downshift you can drop a lot from that alone.  Downshifting later and upshifting earlier was more than enough for me to beat the program at Baku with the optimal score.  Another issue I noticed (not unlike real life if you actually watch the GPs) is the tire temps are pretty hard to keep up in the high 190s to low 200s to provide optimal grip so you’re also doing more sliding through corners which increases wear more.  I will give you it took me 3 laps to complete it instead of just 1 lap like normal.  

Real life and real F1 have no participation trophies, you get out what you put in, and the game should be no different.  Start a GP weekend,  run full 90/90/60 minute practices, go out and run 10 laps on the default setup, make handling notes on feel as well as how tire wear and temps were.  Now go back and change one setting one way, do 5 laps making the same observations as before,  now change the same setting the same amount in the other direction and repeat.  Now decide which way feels better to you and start making small incremental changes in that direction until you find a point where you stop making gains from adding anymore additional input.  Rinse and repeat.  Once you find a good baseline setup that works for you it transfers very well to the other circuits.  I find myself making minimal changes track to track again this year except for downforce levels really and maybe some minor changes to the spring stiffness and ARB settings to try and eek out those last couple tenths, or to be able to stretch the tires a couple laps longer.  

Hang in there, it can be done I promise, try running -2.7, -1.4 for camber and 0.08, 0.38 for toe settings and see how that feels to you.  Also think I did +1 notch on front tire pressure and -2 notches on rear tire pressure.

Posted (edited)

My Baku setup is:

4 - 4 | 95% / 75% | 3 / 1.50 / 0.15 / 0.35 | 3 / 3 | 6 / 7 | 2 / 4 | 80% / 56% | 22.2 / 21/1

Very smooth setup, tried various other setups too. I'm a smooth driver, been using the wheel for years so I don't need to be told how to drive

Thanks for everyone's input

Edited by DerpTheThird

39 minutes ago, DerpTheThird said:

My Baku setup is:

4 - 4 

95% / 75% 

3 / 1.50 / 0.15 / 0.35

3 / 3 | 6 / 7 | 2 / 4

80% / 56% 

22.2 / 21/1

Very smooth setup, tried various other setups too. I'm a smooth driver, been using the wheel for years so I don't need to be told how to drive

OK, my advise would be to lower the on throttle diff settings significantly.

1 hour ago, DerpTheThird said:

My Baku setup is:

4 - 4 

95% / 75% 

3 / 1.50 / 0.15 / 0.35

3 / 3 | 6 / 7 | 2 / 4

80% / 56% 

22.2 / 21/1

95% on throttle differential and complaining about tyre wear 😂

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, DerpTheThird said:

My Baku setup is:

4 - 4 

95% / 75% 

3 / 1.50 / 0.15 / 0.35

3 / 3 | 6 / 7 | 2 / 4

80% / 56% 

22.2 / 21/1

Just checked My setup, I have on throttle at 55% at Baku. And your suspension geometry is also way too agressive. Suspension stifness and brakes is about right actually.

• Agree 1

The 95% is only for TT sorry, I use 75% - 95% for the career race, and bear in mind that you don't push to the max in practice & I was using lean fuel and Low ERS in my career practice for the corners

Spent 2 hours perfecting my Baku setup, it's now: 

3 / 4 ► 75 / 95 ► -2.70 / -1/30 / 0.13 / 0.35 ► 2 / 3 / 4 / 3 / 2 / 4 ► 80% / 54% ► 21.8 / 20.7

Edited by DerpTheThird

On 7/12/2019 at 6:30 PM, Andrew210227 said:

Just checked My setup, I have on throttle at 55% at Baku. And your suspension geometry is also way too agressive. Suspension stifness and brakes is about right actually.

What bit was too aggressive? The front toe? I like a partially oversteer-y car, but it is down to 013 now