Sign in to follow this  

Procedural Stage Generation

I'm going to say this right off the bat: yeah, this is probably a longshot for a couple reasons.

so cons first:

first, a lot of people hated it in D4.

second, it would be difficult to implement, what with currently twice the number of rally locations as D4, and with Finland and Greece probably on the way.

pros:

first, if it's done well it would extend the lifetime of the game massively, I think. the main failing in D4 was simply not enough variety in the turns, and apparently that was a limitation of the media, since the game had to fit on a disc. if it comes as post-release content however, that's no longer an issue, aside from it taking up an absolute ton of room.

second, in one of the dev diaries prior to release of the game, one person mentioned that the game would have both the procedural generation engine and hand-made stages, so at the very least it was being looked at/worked on.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, ianism said:

I'm going to say this right off the bat: yeah, this is probably a longshot for a couple reasons.

so cons first:

first, a lot of people hated it in D4.

second, it would be difficult to implement, what with currently twice the number of rally locations as D4, and with Finland and Greece probably on the way.

pros:

first, if it's done well it would extend the lifetime of the game massively, I think. the main failing in D4 was simply not enough variety in the turns, and apparently that was a limitation of the media, since the game had to fit on a disc. if it comes as post-release content however, that's no longer an issue, aside from it taking up an absolute ton of room.

second, in one of the dev diaries prior to release of the game, one person mentioned that the game would have both the procedural generation engine and hand-made stages, so at the very least it was being looked at/worked on.

Particularly, it was the most liked feature in d4, this helps make the rally more difficult and unpredictable, and with a library that would increase over time, that various situations, curves, climbs, decides, with many trees, bumps, among other variations, really is a fantastic tool, and it makes the navigatoror important as it is in the real, the community did not see it, and the bad physics of d4, ended up frustrating the community. I would like to see this in DR2.0, as this is the only way to end the hotlap!

I loved it too, and I think in theory it is the future of rally games if it gets better but it was not the "most liked feature" of D4.

I would say the most liked feature was the massive number of times of day (10) and weather conditions (13) for each location.

if we can get anything close to this in DR2 I will be extremely happy. 4 times of day and 3-4 weather conditions per location doesn't cut it.

21 hours ago, ianism said:

I loved it too, and I think in theory it is the future of rally games if it gets better but it was not the "most liked feature" of D4.

I would say the most liked feature was the massive number of times of day (10) and weather conditions (13) for each location.

if we can get anything close to this in DR2 I will be extremely happy. 4 times of day and 3-4 weather conditions per location doesn't cut it.

but the cool thing is to gradually increase the library of curves, jumps, and various stage situations, in D4 was to say a beta, but fully functional even a small variation but still, always increasing that library, there will come a time that in fact we will have to do stage survey as it is in the real, this particularly I think fantastic, and as I said before, of the due value of the browser, and ends with the hotlap.

• Like 1

we must think not only of an editor with many different types of curves, but also of being able to work on the altimetry, variable background (example: smooth asphalt, ruined asphalt), the variable weather would be the cherry on the cake. 

special stages that represent many rallies in europe I saw only on RBR and Sebastien Loeb Rally EVO (Alsace and Sanremo !!!)

11 hours ago, diogotilim said:

ma la cosa bella è aumentare gradualmente la libreria di curve, salti e varie situazioni sceniche, in D4 è stato dire una beta, ma perfettamente funzionante anche una piccola variazione ma comunque, sempre aumentando quella libreria, arriverà un tempo in cui Infatti dovremo fare un sondaggio sul palco come è nel reale, questo in particolare penso fantastico, e come ho detto prima, del valore dovuto del browser, e termina con il hotlap.

• Thanks 1

Sorry but for me is a big NO.

Procedural stages are automatically predictable and boring.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

11 hours ago, DoubleTen said:

Desculpe, mas para mim é um grande NÃO.

Os estágios processuais são automaticamente previsíveis e chatos.

actually it is predictable, but with time increasing the library of possibilities, it would decrease it! = D

Sorry, but NO.
Worst thing ever happened in Dirt series that released a Procedural stage generator
it's not Trackmania

• Agree 1

On 7/17/2019 at 10:28 AM, RallyLover19 said:

Sorry, but NO.
Worst thing ever happened in Dirt series that released a Procedural stage generator
it's not Trackmania

people compete to have the best time over a point-to-point course that they have to learn as they go.

of course it's not trackmania. but it's not that different 😉

just because there wasn't enough variety in the industry's first attempt at a procedural generation system does not make it a bad idea.

rally is about not knowing the upcoming turns, so you have to just react. procedural generation (done better, of course) is the way to get there.

please note I am proposing it as an addition to what's already in the game, not a replacement.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/19/2019 at 2:01 AM, ianism said:

just because there wasn't enough variety in the industry's first attempt at a procedural generation system does not make it a bad idea.

and just that, in dirt4 the variation library was small. but that can be increasing from game to game, and let's just say that the failure of dirt4 was not the generation of stage, but the horror physics that forced Paul Coleman to put in the game! Dirt4 was but a game of entrepreneur than a game of Paul Coleman, because it does not make sense you get right in developing the Dirt Rally, and make a mistake in Dirt4, so I'm sure it will now switch between Dirt Rally, simulators, and Dirt5 , 6, 7, arcades.

• Haha 1

Please forget it.

R.I.P.
giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d38c9bc7741506f73

Posted (edited)

is good news  if codemasters add generate stage in dr 2.0  because after 3 month play in DR 2.0 now is not rally but is hillclimb, personally  new   i want challenge in rally 

Edited by gk9147

On 7/16/2019 at 2:27 PM, DoubleTen said:

Sorry but for me is a big NO.

Procedural stages are automatically predictable and boring.

clearly no because D4 no  have lot of different turn that why is predictable but if codemasters add   big  pack of lot  different turn in DR 2.0  he would be different  , the stage is more difficult when you play in dashboard and different weather ( rain , night full fog ....) and at that moment you will not be able to predict turns

The reason DiRT4 had a limited number of different pieces for stages was due to the limitations of consoles.

• Agree 1

Procedural Generation done right, would be amazing. That said, as with any feature, if done wrong, it'll suck. The mistake a lot of people make is that they classify the first impression the Procedural Generation made in D4, as all that it has to offer, which isn't the case. Given there's enough time and effort, you could end up with a seemingly endless collection of bits and pieces that when randomly put together could make a really good stage, without that stage already being used before.

That said, unlikely we'll see it in DiRT Rally 2.0 due to the amount of effort it'll cost. If anything we'll see a return in maybe DiRT 5. At least I hope so 🙂

• Agree 2

honestly I'd be down just to have the procedural generator (and locations) from D4 just copy/pasted into this game (I know I know it's not that simple). I don't have to have procedural generation for every location in DR2, but it'd be nice.

maybe with the extra tiles that were made for D4 but didn't make it into the game for the reason @SkiddyMcCrash mentioned

Posted (edited)

Not only predictable but they lack any of the "soul" of the real locations, taking for example that hairpin around the tree in Greece (Dirt Rally 1), or the final section of Sweet Lamb, it's impossible to have ideas of fictitious places as "complete" as real places in a number enough to make it worth releasing a game only with them. If the idea is to just insert the feature into the game, it gets like Dirt 4, if the idea is to increase the number of combinations until each experience gets unique, it's worth putting much more real life stages and locations into the game, Mobil 1 Rally Championship like, that it would be better.

Honestly? I hope Codemasters releases even much more locations to Dirt Rally 2 and I'm willing to pay for them since the price currently is nice.

Oh, not even to mention how cool it is to race knowing that road exists in real life.

Edited by mattpetty