Sign in to follow this  

R and D

2017 had it about right in my opin. Took me 7 seasons to get Toro Rosso to the top.

Is 2019 the same for R and D or is it like 2016 where the R and D trees get full after 3 seasons and you cant upgrade anymore? Heard rumours it's like 2016 again??🙈

2 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

2017 had it about right in my opin. Took me 7 seasons to get Toro Rosso to the top.

Is 2019 the same for R and D or is it like 2016 where the R and D trees get full after 3 seasons and you cant upgrade anymore? Heard rumours it's like 2016 again??🙈

It is like 2016 but unlike 201 6R&D can be refreshed due to rule changes that were brought  in in 2018 so once you've bought an upgrade there's no guarantee you'll keep it and you may need to purchase it again down the line. They did it this way to try to make it interesting for all 10 seasons

Yes but even taking this into account I saw a 3 season career sim on YouTube where alfa Romeo and Renault were virtually maced out after two seasons. Their r and bars were almost completely full.

I’m in season 3 and Alfa Romeo have maxed out their car, Toro Rosso are maybe 2-3 upgrades from maxing out their car. 

In 2017 I maxed out start of season 4. Game over as car too fast and team mate unbeatable. 

2018 I maxed out 6 races into season 3, game over same reasons as above. In each case every single reliability and performance plus price upgrade was applied. 

I get the feeling that maybe the R&D system needs a slight revamp.

I'm thinking it needs 2 sections for each of the chassis, engine, downforce and reliability departments - 1 which is your base performance which can be upgraded and carried over from season to season as well as being impacted by reg changes as per what it is now. As this is carried over, it can still mix up the starting season performances depending on what you did last season.

The 2nd section of each is regarding upgrades to your car for that season only which resets at the start of each season so that you cannot max out your car. With this 2nd part you literally cannot earn enough R&D points in a season to max out all 4 departments and so have to choose wisely to direct resource to a specific department to gain the edge. This section can also be affected by reg changes but where maybe more resource points are needed to buy parts (as the departments reset each season of course). 

Don't forget also you can choose part way through a season to stop on this current seasons car and direct resource to next year's car starting off the season with more R&D points than normal and purchasing upgrades of the 2nd section in pre-season!

The reason why I say this is because you will never find a team where at the end of the season they say that their car cannot be improved. There's always room for improvement and each season is a fresh new design to start over again.

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, martbloke said:

The 2nd section of each is regarding upgrades to your car for that season only which resets at the start of each season so that you cannot max out your car. With this 2nd part you literally cannot earn enough R&D points in a season to max out all 4 departments and so have to choose wisely to direct resource to a specific department to gain the edge. This section can also be affected by reg changes but where maybe more resource points are needed to buy parts (as the departments reset each season of course). 

Great idea. I would also add a dependency between performance upgrade and durability. You can't have both. Each performance upgrade should have a negative effect. Would make it much more interesting. For example you boost your engine which has the negativ effect of higher engine wear or boost downforce and have more tyre wear....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As I said 2017 had it right for me. R and D worked well, during  the whole ten seasons you could bring a couple mid-tier teams to the top if you worked hard at at. Why on earth they've changed it back to the 3 seasons and done 2016 model I'll never know 😞

Talking about R&D, holy hell, I think Red Bull just brought their B spec car to Singapore in my career mode:

3AE41F23-5C27-41BC-8498-91351C0AA947.thumb.png.1c2f821954996f5eaed3541a7c22e45e.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andrew210227 said:

Talking about R&D, holy hell, I think Red Bull just brought their B spec car to Singapore in my career mode:

3AE41F23-5C27-41BC-8498-91351C0AA947.thumb.png.1c2f821954996f5eaed3541a7c22e45e.png

Wow. Massive upgrades.

1 hour ago, 1henryw said:

As I said 2017 had it right for me. R and D worked well, during  the whole ten seasons you could bring a couple mid-tier teams to the top if you worked hard at at. Why on earth they've changed it back to the 3 seasons and done 2016 model I'll never know 😞

I think I remember seeing a few complaints that it was to slow which is why they just changed it back and added the rule changes which I think is a decent compromise as it keeps things interesting and keeps things mixed up. I wasn't one of them as I didn't mind the grind being a mostly RPG type player these days and you do have to grind a lot in those sorts of games but I can see why the slower speed irritated some. But I think the rule change idea is a decent compromise as it ensures that no t all teams will ever be maxed out making suer tha there'll always b someone somewhere on the grid that'll need to improve depending on how the 10 seasons play out.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, sjsharp2010 said:

I think I remember seeing a few complaints that it was to slow which is why they just changed it back and added the rule changes which I think is a decent compromise as it keeps things interesting and keeps things mixed up. I wasn't one of them as I didn't mind the grind being a mostly RPG type player these days and you do have to grind a lot in those sorts of games but I can see why the slower speed irritated some. But I think the rule change idea is a decent compromise as it ensures that no t all teams will ever be maxed out making suer tha there'll always b someone somewhere on the grid that'll need to improve depending on how the 10 seasons play out.

Yeah but how impactful is the reg change feature? From when it's announced, can you preserve all those being affected? If yes, then it's not good enough IMO.

That would suggest that with the current speed of the R&D, you could take a midfield team to the top in 1 season, preserve all affected before the new season (if it comes in mid season) then the carry on upgrading to max it out through the new season. I would hope it wiped out at least half of the affected parts no matter how many points you throw at it.

31 minutes ago, sjsharp2010 said:

Yes, could be the reason. To avoid to being to slow or to fast they should implement a difficulty option for R&D. Those guys who play ten seasons could change it to hard, to earn less points as normal. For regulation changes there should be a maximum which can be saved. Maybe three or four. Otherwise it’s nearly senseless. Ok, you have to spend some points, but you don’t have to think about which one should be saved and which could be given up. 

Edited by Akkan74

1 hour ago, martbloke said:

Yeah but how impactful is the reg change feature? From when it's announced, can you preserve all those being affected? If yes, then it's not good enough IMO.

That would suggest that with the current speed of the R&D, you could take a midfield team to the top in 1 season, preserve all affected before the new season (if it comes in mid season) then the carry on upgrading to max it out through the new season. I would hope it wiped out at least half of the affected parts no matter how many points you throw at it.

That depends on how many points you choose to save up if you're just throwing upgrade after upgrade a the car you don't have enough. Personally I stop upgrading once I hit the summer break(after Hungary) so I can save some points for the change then depending on how severe the changes are figure out what I want to do from there

21 hours ago, martbloke said:

I get the feeling that maybe the R&D system needs a slight revamp.

I'm thinking it needs 2 sections for each of the chassis, engine, downforce and reliability departments - 1 which is your base performance which can be upgraded and carried over from season to season as well as being impacted by reg changes as per what it is now. As this is carried over, it can still mix up the starting season performances depending on what you did last season.

Don't forget also you can choose part way through a season to stop on this current seasons car and direct resource to next year's car starting off the season with more R&D points than normal and purchasing upgrades of the 2nd section in pre-season!

The reason why I say this is because you will never find a team where at the end of the season they say that their car cannot be improved. There's always room for improvement and each season is a fresh new design to start over again.

Awesome idea!! I think they should also change how failures happen for upgrades, instead of it having a issue at the factory which should only delay a upgrade a week or two.  it should be put on the car and fail during a session or race like in real life. Then we have to purchase the upgrade again.

31 minutes ago, Adolfus58 said:

Awesome idea!! I think they should also change how failures happen for upgrades, instead of it having a issue at the factory which should only delay a upgrade a week or two.  it should be put on the car and fail during a session or race like in real life. Then we have to purchase the upgrade again.

Yeah totally. Like say you use it in practice to test it. If it fails, you've wasted that time in practice and could even cause you to properly crash and end you're whole session. If you choose to skip practice and go straight to qualy or race, then you are risking more if you choose to use the new part and it fails. Bit like Grosjean today spinning out the pit lane because he's a moron...I mean, changed back to their original aero design from the start of the season.

Would also make the practice sessions less tedious.

• Agree 1