Sign in to follow this  

Illumination Improvements

Posted (edited)

I can't be the only one who finds the graphical effect of headlight illumination to be a bit... underwhelming?

Apart from the poor throw distance, the effect of headlights is to sort of drape everything over with a thick, single shade of sickly yellow.

Any time the road is still visible, eg dusk, I switch off the headlights as the graphics look so much better. The lights remove detail and make it all look rather last-gen.

Hopefully Codies can see fit to improve this aspect, as there has been a steady stream of graphics improvements in other areas...

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 4

I think this is the best we can get with this engine and 60fps until a new engine and new consoles. 

Posted (edited)

The challenge has been set, CM lighting department...

Lighting in this game is overall outstanding, so some improvements in the headlight illumination would go a long way to making the game even more impressive. It's the only weak link left graphically, imho.

Edit: Playing through Monte at dusk, it actually looks really good. Monte doesn't seem to suffer from this shortcoming the way, say, Poland at night-time does.

Edited by Jake Cushing

1 hour ago, Jake Cushing said:

The challenge has been set, CM lighting department...

Lighting in this game is overall outstanding, so some improvements in the headlight illumination would go a long way to making the game even more impressive. It's the only weak link left graphically, imho.

Edit: Playing through Monte at dusk, it actually looks really good. Monte doesn't seem to suffer from this shortcoming the way, say, Poland at night-time does.

That may be because snow illuminates well and places like Poland do not.  But, with all the flood lights etc on some cars, it probably would have a bit more.

Posted (edited)

The lighting actually may be extremely accurate. Fast forward 10 minutes or so to get to night. :-o. I see an Unexpected Moment Codies could add at 11:15 lol

Edited by DaleRossi

idk man on the straights it seems to me the headlights extend a bit further than they do in the game. 

what would help is if the light pods didn't fall off every time you went over a bump or every time the co-driver farts. i mean seriously, one tiny bump and it's "oops there go the lights".