Race starts SLOW compared to A.I

Is it just me or do the A.I race off the line and I lose between 1 to 5 places most races off the start . All my friends comment on this also. Any tips ? It's so difficult to get right . This is also with very low A.I between 70 an 80 😂 as in unranked we just place them there for distractions more than anything . 

• Like 1

I haven't found this. Its not easy, you cant pass lots of AI like last year, but i get decent starts and hold my position at my normal difficulty.

i play with a wheel and no assists so maybe its harder with a pad or with tc on.

That use to happen to me last year this year ive only had 1 bad start in 27 races if your useing full traction that tends to lead to slower starts if are useing full traction try turning it to medium or off for the start I play with medium traction and get good starts every time as long as the clutch is in the sweet spot 

• Agree 1

Turn off TC and have the start on Manual. An on screen guide will tell you to hold clutch in and rev to the sweet spot. When it goes green, dump the clutch and get going. You shouldn't have to feather the clutch.  If it is in Career, I'm sure it depends on how well your engine/car us built up and what the AI is set on. 

7 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

Turn off TC and have the start on Manual. An on screen guide will tell you to hold clutch in and rev to the sweet spot. When it goes green, dump the clutch and get going. You shouldn't have to feather the clutch.  If it is in Career, I'm sure it depends on how well your engine/car us built up and what the AI is set on. 

You're right, the clutch isn't progressive in this game. It's an on/off switch basically.

Another tip might be to increase differential at the start or (if you run it) during the formation lap. This should give you better initial traction.

I find the starts are mainly about timing you upshifts. I'm sort of OK at it, but there are still starts where I just get swamped by the AI.

2 minutes ago, Andrew210227 said:

Another tip might be to increase differential at the start or (if you run it) during the formation lap. This should give you better initial traction.

Hadn't thought of that. Do you just put it at full lock? 

Being on Xbox One, I can't map half the switches and buttons on my wheel. That would be an huge advantage at the start to basically have a map of Diff, fuel, etc for launch. 

What Fuel and ERS do you guys have the most success with at race start? If I'm racing 100 or above AI, it seems I have to keep everything max. But, it makes the launches harder. Otherwise, you can launch with them a bit low and then increase.

3 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

Hadn't thought of that. Do you just put it at full lock? 

Being on Xbox One, I can't map half the switches and buttons on my wheel. That would be an huge advantage at the start to basically have a map of Diff, fuel, etc for launch. 

What Fuel and ERS do you guys have the most success with at race start? If I'm racing 100 or above AI, it seems I have to keep everything max. But, it makes the launches harder. Otherwise, you can launch with them a bit low and then increase.

Normal fuel - increase to rich directly after first upshift, and 3- High ERS -> increase to 4 Overtake after launch. I find I really struggle putting the power down initially at Overtake/Hotlap.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rinehart27 said:

Anyone want to explain a good launch technique? 

Turn off TC and have the start on Manual. An on screen guide will tell you to hold clutch in and rev to the sweet spot. When it goes green, dump the clutch and get going. You shouldn't have to feather the clutch.  

Use the fuel/ERS Andrew described above.

• Agree 1

I swear the real life drivers have some special launch mode available that optimizes the starts for them. I consider myself to be an experienced no assist driver but still the starts are all over the place. It's a good start if I only lose 2 places! Plus we don't get the stalls that real life drivers get when it goes wrong. So something is making it easier for them. Otherwise only one bad start by a driver spinning like we do would wreck the grid.

• Like 1

A lot do, but Verstappen has a way of blowing starts from time to time. Lol

3 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I swear the real life drivers have some special launch mode available that optimizes the starts for them. I consider myself to be an experienced no assist driver but still the starts are all over the place. It's a good start if I only lose 2 places! Plus we don't get the stalls that real life drivers get when it goes wrong. So something is making it easier for them. Otherwise only one bad start by a driver spinning like we do would wreck the grid.

Same here, playing no assists since I play sims, but I haven't had even an average start compared to the AI. I have tried everything, but somehow I always get it wrong. 😄 

25 minutes ago, BMXTerminator said:

Same here, playing no assists since I play sims, but I haven't had even an average start compared to the AI. I have tried everything, but somehow I always get it wrong. 😄 

The thing is: I don’t always get it wrong, but when I get it right, I have no real clue why.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Honestly in time trial I'm a top 250 driver but the one thing I fail at this year is race starts in career mode. 105 AI no-assists, I lose 2-5 places every time. It's stupid because it makes me have to drop the AI down a notch. When the AI is maxed out to your ability you get better racing but it can be near impossible to make up 4 or 5 places.

Edited by PureDriving
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

What type of controls are you using? That makes a big difference. 

16 hours ago, TRJoey said:

Is it just me or do the A.I race off the line and I lose between 1 to 5 places most races off the start . All my friends comment on this also. Any tips ? It's so difficult to get right . This is also with very low A.I between 70 an 80 😂 as in unranked we just place them there for distractions more than anything . 

70 to 80 in not low. It may seem low if you're on the sticks. And the AI are using the bite point to launch. 

Another alternative worth trying..ERS at Hotlap and Fuel at Lean. At least you'll only have to cycle one of them after launch. 

Playing offline GP at Silverstone and starting on the inside middle, I had to restart 50 times. Would get decent starts and then get dive bombed by Sainz in turn 1 over and over and over. Or if I backed off I'd get hit and have damage immediately. Lol

May have to sacrifice my view so I can see my mirrors or something. Aggravating.

On 7/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, Rinehart27 said:

Anyone want to explain a good launch technique? 

Can anyone explain a good start technique with traction full please ? 

It's hard to get a good start against the AI in this game. My strategy: formation lap on (it's crucial to get tyres up to temperature) and fuel/ers track specific. If turn 1 is close you need good initial traction (standard fuel and 2/3 ERS). If turn 1 is at the end of a long straight i tend to go more aggressive with rich fuel/ers 3 (4 after the release) because in that case you need a stronger acceleration...

• Like 1

My advice is to turn the ERS to Medium or Low during the formation lap. That way you won't have as much wheelspin at the start as you would with the Hotlap mode. After the wheelspin stops and you reach 4th gear set the ERS to Hotlap. You probably won't get any positions but you will keep your current position.

For Traction Control users, try setting the TC to medium or remove it completely for the start of the race and try the technics above.