Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Held in pit box after stop is complete - race ruined

Recommended Posts

This bug has been present since 2010, but why is such a huge margin left between cars in the pit lane? Why has it not been addressed?

During a 25% race I was 12th before a pit cycle, pitted ahead of four or five cars, but had to wait for every single one to pass my stationary car after the stop was complete! I lost at least 10 seconds to a car I was wheel to wheel with, and by the time everyone had stopped I was 19th! Can't cars just be released when their stop finishes, and temporarily ghosted if there ends up being an overlap?

Edited by FatalMistake465
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Codi don't care. Rain lights are more important to fix. 1 of the most important strategies are pitstops. But codi don't care about it. Better they are saying that they are listening and do something about the feedback. They don't care.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's supposed to be an authentic representation of F1.
When was the last time you saw an F1 car ghost through another during the pitstop phase? 

YOU... MUST... WAIT... for the pitlane to be clear before you can exit the pitbox. It's actually a rule.

It's not a bug, it's a thing that actually happens. So instead of moaning about it, just accept it and move on.

Edited by Bankai3987
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bankai3987 said:

It's supposed to be an authentic representation of F1.
When was the last time you saw an F1 car ghost through another during the pitstop phase? 

YOU... MUST... WAIT... for the pitlane to be clear before you can exit the pitbox. It's actually a rule.

It's not a bug, it's a thing that actually happens. So instead of ******** about it, just accept it and move on.

I get it when you are being held because of unsafe release, but I agree that they are too careful about releasing cars, a lot of the time there is big enough gaps to release a car safely, and in real life they release the cars in much smaller gaps. I also don't want to see ghosting at all, but come on, some of the gaps they hold you in the pit for is just ridiculous, and could easily be released in. 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bankai3987 said:

It's supposed to be an authentic representation of F1.
When was the last time you saw an F1 car ghost through another during the pitstop phase? 

YOU... MUST... WAIT... for the pitlane to be clear before you can exit the pitbox. It's actually a rule.

It's not a bug, it's a thing that actually happens. So instead of moaning about it, just accept it and move on.

Yes I'm aware of the unsafe release rule. But the game's safety factor is too high.

The current situation is not authentic. We don't even driver the car during the stop. And that's fine, this is after all, a game. It's the feeling that I've lost places through a flaw in the game that is the problem here. I'd happily take a minor drop in authenticity for a gain in player experience.

Teams will often risk it for track position in the real world, and cars have come out of pit lane nose-to-tail IRL and not been penalised. Currently the game seems to want a few car lengths between you and the cars ahead and/or behind. My solution of ghosting is just a possible way of improving the player experience, rather than causing them to needlessly lose hard earned places every time they pit.

And a small word of advice, if you disagree with someone, do so respectfully, rather than attempting to belittle them by telling them to 'stop moaning, accept it, and move on'. A little respect goes a long way in this world.

Edited by FatalMistake465
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FatalMistake465 said:

And a small word of advice, if you disagree with someone, do so respectfully, rather than attempting to belittle them by telling them to 'stop moaning, accept it, and move on'. A little respect goes a long way in this world.

I did so... respectively... and I stand by my statement.
If you feel belittled by it, then that's not particularly my problem, but I won't apologise for suggesting someone quit moaning about a mechanic of a game that, while a little exaggerated, is still there for a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Just like in real life if you lose time in the pits over a crowded pit lane then thats on you and your choice to pit when the pits are crowded. The best time to pit to lose the least amount of time is part of F1 strategy. The general rule is to not pit the same time cars around you are pitting for that reason.  Do the opposite of what they do when it comes time to pit. 

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the big issue here is in my opinion is that in the game a lot of the cars are on the same strategy and most of the field pit within the same 1-2 laps which makes the pitlane very crowded. It would also make the game better if the AI didn't seem so much as robots and they tried different strategies for some of the cars where some would go longer stints than others and try to save their tires. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kevinkirk said:

 Just like in real life if you lose time in the pits over a crowded pit lane then thats on you and your choice to pit when the pits are crowded. The best time to pit to lose the least amount of time is part of F1 strategy. The general rule is to not pit the same time cars around you are pitting for that reason.  Do the opposite of what they do when it comes time to pit. 

Yeah I get that. I will never follow a car or a group of cars in because it will almost guarantee I will get held. But I can enter an empty pit lane, only for a group of cars a few seconds back to follow me and cause me to lose 8 or 9 seconds at the drop of a hat. If it was occasional, then fine, it adds a bit of drama, but it affects most stops depending on race distance. Also when you time your stops to avoid AI pitting, you lose time anyway because you take too much life from a set of tyres. It just devalues the wheel to wheel gameplay which forms the vast majority of the game.

10 hours ago, Bankai3987 said:

I did so... respectively... and I stand by my statement.
If you feel belittled by it, then that's not particularly my problem, but I won't apologise for suggesting someone quit moaning about a mechanic of a game that, while a little exaggerated, is still there for a reason.

Telling someone to stop moaning because they say one thing you disagree with is not what most people would call respectful. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and sharing it once is not moaning.

Edited by FatalMistake465
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bankai3987 said:

It's supposed to be an authentic representation of F1.
When was the last time you saw an F1 car ghost through another during the pitstop phase? 

YOU... MUST... WAIT... for the pitlane to be clear before you can exit the pitbox. It's actually a rule.

It's not a bug, it's a thing that actually happens. So instead of moaning about it, just accept it and move on.

It's always a bug when player doesn't like some thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xawille said:

It's always a bug when player doesn't like some thing. 

Overall, this is a good game, its just a shame that it carries some legacy issues forward from previous titles that detract from the experience. This being one of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The safety gap for pit stops is way too big. Sometimes there is a car twenty meter behind and they don’t release you. That’s not like real life, that’s wrong. Normally there could be three cars within the gap. Look at Monaco race that was a bit too risky, but in real life there is sometimes only half a meter between the cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Xawille said:

It's always a bug when player doesn't like some thing. 

seems like anything that causes them to need to use their head and adapt to situations that happens they call a bug. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevinkirk said:

seems like anything that causes them to need to use their head and adapt to situations that happens they call a bug. 

For crying out loud, as I have said, I won't follow cars in to the pits, but you can't adapt to cars behind you pitting when you have already committed to the pit entry. 

Sure, if cars are alongside my pit box dont release me, but when there is a clear gap, it's frustrating being forced to wait and watch your race go up in smoke. THAT is the bug here. 

For example, look at the gap between Zhou and Latifi after Dams released Latifi in today's feature race. It was less than half a car length, was totally fair and was not penalised, yet this game wants maybe 6 to 8 times that!

 

Edited by FatalMistake465
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FatalMistake465 said:

For crying out loud, as I have said, I won't follow cars in to the pits, but you can't adapt to cars behind you pitting when you have already committed to the pit entry. 

Sure, if cars are alongside my pit box dont release me, but when there is a clear gap, it's frustrating being forced to wait and watch your race go up in smoke. THAT is the bug here. 

For example, look at the gap between Zhou and Latifi after Dams released Latifi in today's feature race. It was less than half a car length, was totally fair and was not penalised, yet this game wants maybe 6 to 8 times that!

 

I havnt ever been held in the pits for that long so maybe thats why I can make what im suggesting work, but if that is happening it needs to be fixed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kevinkirk said:

I havnt ever been held in the pits for that long so maybe thats why I can make what im suggesting work, but if that is happening it needs to be fixed. 

To be fair I usually do full length races and that sort of solves it as there is way more variance in AI strategy, and there are bigger gaps. Its the casual players as well as those that have less free time that want to do 25% races that will run in to this time and time again. It's still a problem in full length F2 races, because the whole field tends to pit within two to three laps and the field never really spreads out like the F1 field does.

I just think that the ghosting idea would allow things like Verstappen and Leclerc in today's GP to take place since the game probably can't support cars going down pit lane alongside one another (even if it doesn't look absolutely perfect).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they need to make it so that it's up to the player. Have a 3rd pit light (lollipop) which is amber. 

Red = player cannot do anything as the pit crew are working on the car/stationary for a stop/go penalty.

Amber = full control to player to leave the pit box BUT there is danger of an unsafe release i.e. another car close to the back edge of your stationary car (maybe 5-10m). Changes to green when all clear (see below for what classes as all clear).

Green = full control to player to leave the pit box and no car near i.e. car nowhere near the back edge of the car, not alongside and has cleared the front edge of your car.

 

If you release under amber and effectively you are going to hit the other car going through the pit you ghost to avoid an actual collision and if the other car is coming in for their pitstop i.e. their garage is after yours, you stay ghosted until the other car boxes or if they are exiting the pits i.e. already pitted and now leaving, you stay ghosted as well as slow down until you are behind the other car still ghosted in case there is another car behind the 1 you would have collided with. In each case you get the unsafe release penalty whatever it is.

 

That way it's your call and you can either risk it or wait until green and then go.

Edited by martbloke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, martbloke said:

Maybe they need to make it so that it's up to the player. Have a 3rd pit light (lollipop) which is amber. 

Red = player cannot do anything as the pit crew are working on the car/stationary for a stop/go penalty.

Amber = full control to player to leave the pit box BUT there is danger of an unsafe release i.e. another car close to the back edge of your stationary car (maybe 5-10m). Changes to green when all clear (see below for what classes as all clear).

Green = full control to player to leave the pit box and no car near i.e. car nowhere near the back edge of the car, not alongside and has cleared the front edge of your car.

 

If you release under amber and effectively you are going to hit the other car going through the pit you ghost to avoid an actual collision and if the other car is coming in for their pitstop i.e. their garage is after yours, you stay ghosted until the other car boxes or if they are exiting the pits i.e. already pitted and now leaving, you stay ghosted as well as slow down until you are behind the other car still ghosted in case there is another car behind the 1 you would have collided with. In each case you get the unsafe release penalty whatever it is.

 

That way it's your call and you can either risk it or wait until green and then go.

The thing is though, a 5 to 10 metre gap is still safe because many FIA grade 1 pit lanes are wide enough for two cars, as demonstrated at Silverstone this weekend in F2 and in the F1 with VER and LEC. Obviously there are a few outliers like Monaco, Melbourne, and the Hungaroring. If Codies want to start issuing unsafe release penalties in the game, then the player needs full control in the pit lane to allow them to avoid breaking rules.

All ghosting would to is practically allow the same situation as VER and LEC in the game. I agree that it wouldn't be being 100% visually authentic, but if you're doing a 25% race and lose 10 positions because somebody followed you in and you got caught in train of slower cars, then that's not authentic either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 11:54 PM, Bankai3987 said:

YOU... MUST... WAIT... for the pitlane to be clear before you can exit the pitbox. It's actually a rule

THEY... DON'T... NEED... to wait 3 seconds after the pitlane is clear to release you. That's not the rule.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 6:32 PM, kevinkirk said:

seems like anything that causes them to need to use their head and adapt to situations that happens they call a bug. 

Amen to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FatalMistake465 said:

The thing is though, a 5 to 10 metre gap is still safe because many FIA grade 1 pit lanes are wide enough for two cars, as demonstrated at Silverstone this weekend in F2 and in the F1 with VER and LEC. Obviously there are a few outliers like Monaco, Melbourne, and the Hungaroring. If Codies want to start issuing unsafe release penalties in the game, then the player needs full control in the pit lane to allow them to avoid breaking rules.

All ghosting would to is practically allow the same situation as VER and LEC in the game. I agree that it wouldn't be being 100% visually authentic, but if you're doing a 25% race and lose 10 positions because somebody followed you in and you got caught in train of slower cars, then that's not authentic either.

 

I get what you're saying and I would love full control in the pit lane which is another way to go. Would take that all day.

 

The issue would still be there however as it's when they release you from the box that is causing the issue. The 5-10m I was referring to was more distance behind rather than the width of the pit lane. You'd need ghosting to occur if they allow 2 wide in there because there's no way people will be willing to give up a place to allow someone else to exit before you at most tracks seeing as they converge to a width allowing only 1 car at a time at exit as per Silverstone. You'd have collisions and blocked exits all day long! Haha.

 

If Codies could program it so that if you are at a track that could allow 2 wide, then the release could be quicker but if you are behind even by a foot, your car gives way at exit. Perhaps that would work although I'd still say people will be kicking up a fuss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, martbloke said:

The 5-10m I was referring to was more distance behind rather than the width of the pit lane. 

Yeah I know, that is a safe gap. Zhou and Latifi were almost bump drafting down the pit lane in F2 on Saturday.

I get the feeling 2 wide isn't possible at the moment since the movement of the car pit lane seems to be animated rather than simulated. But for now ghosting cars until there is no overlap at pit exit seems like a good medium.

20 hours ago, Xawille said:

Amen to that.

Adapting to cars following you in to the pits when you don't use flashbacks is a little difficult. I usually run 100% races, and don't have any problem but it's the people that don't/can't play for that much time that will notice the issue more. I'm only suggesting a solution that will allow those players to get more enjoyment, and less frustration from the game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, FatalMistake465 said:

Adapting to cars following you in to the pits when you don't use flashbacks is a little difficult. I usually run 100% races, and don't have any problem but it's the people that don't/can't play for that much time that will notice the issue more. I'm only suggesting a solution that will allow those players to get more enjoyment, and less frustration from the game!

Yeah, I mean in general people just complains and blames "bugs" instead of adapting and learning the game. 

***** I hate that "people can't play because they don't have time" argument, why these games should be done based on the opinions of those who don't have time to play? 

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't matter if its a full or short race still does it. happened twice in the past week, once in wheel to wheel battle with Sainz entered pit 1st team finished work but had to wait for Sainz to pass, second was today, rain started pouring on lap 41 in Australia, had to go in to change to intermediates, was leading a train of 4 entered 1st but held and released last. i only race at 100% so that's not the issue. As OP has stated the margin to release is tooooo big if you disagree it simply means you have not yet experienced the bug else you'd be moaning here as well.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×