Sign in to follow this  

Approach to Qualifying (Tires)

Hi All,

When doing full qualifying what is your approach to tyre use?

In real life the teams will go out early and set an initial time, before doing a final hot lap right at the end. Most of the time I am entering Q3 with only 1 set of softs, I feel as though if I go out early I'm going to use up some life and therefore eat into time on any future hotlaps.

Am I missing something?

I find Qualifying depends a fair amount on which team you drive for and your particular tyre selection for the race weekend.
Mercedes, Ferrari and RedBull... those teams are pretty much guaranteed a spot in the Top 6, so they wouldn't need to use as many sets of tyres to get to Q3, where you have a free set anyway.

As you move further down the grid, you'll find you may need to use the extra set of tyres, here and there, just to get into Q3... as it's a tight field. McLaren, Renault and ToroRosso would likely fall into that category.
Of course with some of the teams, you haven't got a prayer of getting out of Q1, let alone getting into Q3. 

Basically, you have to use your tyre allocation tactically as best you see fit... for your desired target.

• Agree 1

Of course it's also really important for midfield or lower teams to get the car as right as possible in practice and do enough qualifying session runs so you can confidently set a good time in q1 to save a set. Preparation is key. If your first run is always slower in qualifying then the second then you either made a bad mistake or didn't practice enough before! 

If the game simulates real life accurately the rubber should build up on the track during then q1 session so if you are confident just make your first run 8 mins to go not the start. That still gives you enough time to go out again if an ai car messes up your first try by not getting out of the way. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Hi

i'm in no way an expert or something more than an entry-level amateur simracer, but my humble strategy for saving one set of soft in Q1 is :

I will leave the box for my outlap around 7-8 mins to end, using lean mix+ low ERS (super slow outlap) and without trying to warm or wear my tyre, i will start my first timed lap with minimum tyre wear/temp (maximum 2% wear), so it will be my initial/test run to have a benchmark for my next lap, at the start of my second lap i will be on the optimum tyre temp with a low wear(as i have almost eliminated tyre wear from my outlap, it will be maximum of 5% wear) and almost always my second lap will be way better than the first lap :classic_biggrin: this is how i save 1 set of tyre by eliminating one extra run in Q1 in McLaren (it always worked for me in F1 2018 and f1 2017 and now in F1 2019) and i'll have my 2 sets of soft for Q3

where it won't work?

*this method won't work comfortably with lower teams, but with McLaren/Racingpoint/renault you can normally go to Q2 if you make no significant mistakes in your 2 laps, so you have to do a little more practice, sometimes i use TimeTrial for practicing my Q runs, like a role-playing element i pretend i'm a real F1 driver and TimeTrial is my simulator for practicing between sessions or when i'm not in a GP weekend:classic_laugh:

*also it won't work if you are doing lower than 100% races as your tyre wear in Qualy will be scaled hugely and after one lap you will have more than 10% wear

*in some of the long tracks in F1 it can go wrong, like suzuka,COTA,spa, as your initial lap will wear the *** of your boots

*i'm using wheel , maybe the result and tyre wear or temp management is different on pad

You can also use this method in Q3 at circuits that you think your are not starting your fastest lap on the optimum tyre temp, somewhere like monaco or monza doing an "super slow outlap+ one initial lap" before your ultimate lap will make you able to start your fastest lap on better tyre temp. optimum tyre temp with 5-6% of tyre wear will be better than having  2-3% of tyre wear on low tyre temp when you are starting your ultimate lap.

Edited by farjam1990

Codemasters should make it available to use whatever tires you want so you can take them into qualifying.

3 hours ago, peanutt2000 said:

Codemasters should make it available to use whatever tires you want so you can take them into qualifying.

I think you can, but you must turn off parc ferme or however it is spelled. 

Had no idea this game actually had tread buildup on the track.  I guess the risk there in late qualifying is the track is crowded?

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, iXLongyXi said:

Hi All,

When doing full qualifying what is your approach to tyre use?

In real life the teams will go out early and set an initial time, before doing a final hot lap right at the end. Most of the time I am entering Q3 with only 1 set of softs, I feel as though if I go out early I'm going to use up some life and therefore eat into time on any future hotlaps.

Am I missing something?

Balanced allocation for full qualify is S S S M (S for Q3)

I run 2 laps for each session. I don't run the second one in Q2 if I feel confortable.

You have 4 sets of softs for 3 sessions or 3 sets for 2.

S1 for Q1. S2 for Q2. Soft 4 for first run in Q3, soft 3 for second run in Q3. Using this method if you do well in your first run in Q3 you can use Q3 specific tyres again for the second lap and save a set.

Essentialy you have one more set of softs than the number of sessions. It all depends on your goal.

If your team's goal is to reach Q3 the extra set is for Q2 (Q3: both runs on Q3 tyres). If your team's goal is fighting for the pole the extra set (the third one) is for the second run in Q3.

If your goal is to reach Q2 use the extra set in Q1.

The extra set is for the session that is more crucial for your team (and for emergency cases).

I go out at the start of the session and at the end (personal best lap time + 1 minute).

When you go out at the beginning you can still find traffic (occasionally), when you go out at the end you rarely find your self in traffic.

Go for the aggressive allocation if you need one more set of softs.

This is the best and most realistic strategy but you have to be a good qualifying performer to make it work.

Don't be afraid of having a worn set of softs during the race. It's better to start in front than having a fresh set (Ferrari/Monaco docet)

Edited by sirio994