Sign in to follow this  

FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA PIRELLI 2014

Well, and this sounds like I'm being a douche, you're nnow getting a taste of how it's been for the rest of us since 2011. It isn't great for the sport, that's undeniable, but it not being Red Bull this time is a relief. 

And I agree on that. It was always going to be a Merc 1-2, the only thing it effected was who would start 3rd and it didn't make that more exciting with him out.

Well, and this sounds like I'm being a douche, you're nnow getting a taste of how it's been for the rest of us since 2011. It isn't great for the sport, that's undeniable, but it not being Red Bull this time is a relief. 

And I agree on that. It was always going to be a Merc 1-2, the only thing it effected was who would start 3rd and it didn't make that more exciting with him out.
I was fed up of 2013 pretty quickly, but atleast in 2011 there was races where Vettel wasn't totally dominant, he won a fair few but Mercedes will win everything this year. 

In fairness, Ricciardo did look like he had the edge at that point (more or less, purely subjective).

Subjectively, exactly the same was evident in China (vice versa) up until the last run of Q3. I'm sure Sky F1 will still milk "4-1" now though. And AMS, there is more to F1 than just the front of the field. Same as I said under the Vettel era, if you don't like what's going on at the front maybe pay attention to the fact that Grosjean did an awesome job to get the Lotus 5th, the fact Bottas did an equally as awesome job to get the Williams P4, and the fact Raikkonen has the upper hand on Alonso this weekend. There's plenty more stories other than just what's going on between the two Mercedes.

VetteIfan said:
In fairness, Ricciardo did look like he had the edge at that point (more or less, purely subjective).

Subjectively, exactly the same was evident in China (vice versa) up until the last run of Q3. I'm sure Sky F1 will still milk "4-1" now though. And AMS, there is more to F1 than just the front of the field. Same as I said under the Vettel era, if you don't like what's going on at the front maybe pay attention to the fact that Grosjean did an awesome job to get the Lotus 5th, the fact Bottas did an equally as awesome job to get the Williams P4, and the fact Raikkonen has the upper hand on Alonso this weekend. There's plenty more stories other than just what's going on between the two Mercedes.
Thanks for reminding me :( :P

I do pay attention to the battle behind, Grosjean did a great job and Raikkonen did well, Hulkenberg also beat Perez. But this domination is FAR to much. 1 second from Hamilton to 3rd place. The dominance is too much, Red Bull were still beatable, but Mercedes are not.

A second in F1 is monumental, especially since Mercedes can probably stretch it further

mike96 said:
Yeah first an aborted start, and then safety car after lap 1!
*/quote*

And Coletti being a bit... shall we say...
ambitious 3 wide into turn 1.

My "Driver of the Day" didn't turn a wheel.  It is Charles Pic.  When the cameras focused on him in the Lotus garage after Maldonado binned it - again - he gave an Oscar Worthy performance of not cracking a smile.

AMS97KRR said:
I do pay attention to the battle behind, Grosjean did a great job and Raikkonen did well, Hulkenberg also beat Perez. But this domination is FAR to much. 1 second from Hamilton to 3rd place. The dominance is too much, Red Bull were still beatable, but Mercedes are not.

A second in F1 is monumental, especially since Mercedes can probably stretch it further

4 years ago at Catalunya I seem to remember a Red Bull front row lockout where pole was 9 tenths clear of the field. And Red Bull were beaten on a number of occasions that season, and we witnessed one of the greatest championships of the modern era. I understand Mercedes have been doing it a little more consistently this season, but my point is anything can happen.

VetteIfan said:
AMS97KRR said:

4 years ago at Catalunya I seem to remember a Red Bull front row lockout where pole was 9 tenths clear of the field. And Red Bull were beaten on a number of occasions that season, and we witnessed one of the greatest championships of the modern era. I understand Mercedes have been doing it a little more consistently this season, but my point is anything can happen.
Yes, these things can happen. But as you said yourself, that championship was a very close battle and it was not consistently happening. 
It doesn't bother me every now and again, but every race is too much. 

I think 2014 is really interesting in the mid pack :) Also, the top 2 is also really battling it out for the wins. It really depends on who will get the final podium spot. Unless Mercs have technical issues of coarse.

Mclaren-Honda won 15 out of 16 races in 1988, but it was still an exciting season thanks to the close fight between Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost. I won't mind a dominant Mercedes as long as both drivers are competitive and fighting amongst themselves, it's only an issue for me if you have the same driver 20 seconds up the road every race.

Prost vs Senna is two legendary drivers who can both win.

Rosberg vs Hamilton is one great driver against a 2nd tier driver who has to hope Hamiltons car messes up if he wants to win anything. 

AMS97KRR said:
 Prost vs Senna is two legendary drivers who can both win.

Rosberg vs Hamilton is one great driver against a 2nd tier driver who has to hope Hamiltons car messes up if he wants to win anything. 
You do remember a few months ago when you said Rosberg would beat Hamilton in the drivers standings of the 2013 season?

You're lucky CM are changing their forums on a yearly basis so I can't quote you on that anymore.

AMS97KRR said:
What an exciting qualifying, couldn't have guessed Hamilton would have taken Pole. What an exciting parade we have in store for tomorrow, really looking forward to it. 

I love how Sky don't point out that Vettel missed all of Friday. I just decided I don't like Sky F1 commentary any more (except Martin Brundle).

I don't remember you saying that last year?

My Qualifying review:

Hamilton: not bad, standard pole
Rosberg: angryish
Ricciardo: smiling
Bottas: so good
Grosjean: punching above his weight
Raikkonen: not sleeping
Alonso: lower than I thought
Button: q3
Vettel: lol
Hulkenberg: not quite there
Perez: lente