Sign in to follow this  

FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA PIRELLI 2014

I don't see the problem. He wasn't jumped t the first stop and then they split their strategies.Don't tell me you thought Kimi would pit first and then still do a 2 stopper ? 

I don't see the problem. He wasn't jumped t the first stop and then they split their strategies.Don't tell me you thought Kimi would pit first and then still do a 2 stopper ? 
No, but why did Kimi do a two stop to begin with? His lack of pace once Alonso had made his second stop was disastrous.

Alonso and Raikkonen were close all race. Fernando then passed him on circuit. Different strategies or not, the pass still happened on circuit.

Alonso had options ten laps younger than Raikkonen's primes. It was a strategy induced pass; whether or not it happened on circuit is irrelevant.

Who's fault is it that Kimi lost 17 seconds to Alonso ? fernando was on new tyres , yeah , but SEVENTEEN SECONDS  ?

The team's fault. If Raikkonen had gotten the first call into the pits and stayed on the same strategy, Alonso would never have gotten past. You saw how he was within a second of Kimi for almost the entire first stint and couldn't find a way through.

Ferrari can support Alonso all they want, but he's never going to win a championship again with them.
Nobody's gonna win a championship with them for years

@yugin96. Are you talking about the first stop or the second ?

Ferrari split their strategy. If Kimi wasn't so slow in that stint the 2 stopper would have worked. How was that Ferrari's fault ?

Because the two stop was (in hindsight at least) the slower strategy for Ferrari. Raikkonen kept Alonso at bay for the first stint and could pull out a gap in the second. Now if Alonso were doing one stop more he should have pushed and passed Raikkonen, but he didn't. That indicates that Ferrari switched Kimi to a two stop belatedly which was why he was so slow for the rest of the second stint- his tyres were shot. Alternatively, they switched Alonso to a three stop which again benefitted him.

I agree with yugin. Along with all the points he mentions, Alonso was 2 seconds a lap faster than Raikkonen after his second stop, so that's basically 11 laps of clear running to eradicate the gap lost in the pit stop. Not much to cover in a 66 lap race and I find it difficult to believe that just slipped under Ferrari's noses.

On another point though, doing some basic number crunching it's clear Red Bull have made strides on Mercedes performance advantage, at least in race trim. 

Ricciardo finished 48 seconds behind the Mercedes. He was 20 seconds behind when it came to his first stop, but we can presume he had much more pace in the car considering he was swarming all over the back of Bottas in the first stint. But anyway that means in 52 laps of near enough identical running, in clean air and with the same strategy, Ricciardo lost a further 28 seconds. That's around 0.54 a lap. Still fairly significant admittedly, but considering we are to assume Mercedes were lapping to somewhere near maximum as they were fighting each other hard, it's certainly less than it has been. 

But if they don't give Alonso an advantage he will throw his toys out the pram again, and again, and again.

Maldonado is now a third of the way to being the first driver to be banned for a race for penalty points.

fIsince08 said:
Maldonado is now a third of the way to being the first driver to be banned for a race for penalty points.
All he has to do is crash 20 or so more times and he might get there. He's dangerous, should be banned outright immediately. 

Can't wait till Monaco now. Lewis keeps coming out on top in these fights, but we know how good Nico is around Monte Carlo. Yes, the Mercs are still going to be a second or so ahead of the rest, which is a shame, but hopefully there will be another close fight between the two. Maybe one on old rubber, and one on new softs, a la Senna and Mansell...

VetteIfan said:
I agree with yugin. Along with all the points he mentions, Alonso was 2 seconds a lap faster than Raikkonen after his second stop, so that's basically 11 laps of clear running to eradicate the gap lost in the pit stop. Not much to cover in a 66 lap race and I find it difficult to believe that just slipped under Ferrari's noses.

On another point though, doing some basic number crunching it's clear Red Bull have made strides on Mercedes performance advantage, at least in race trim. 

Ricciardo finished 48 seconds behind the Mercedes. He was 20 seconds behind when it came to his first stop, but we can presume he had much more pace in the car considering he was swarming all over the back of Bottas in the first stint. But anyway that means in 52 laps of near enough identical running, in clean air and with the same strategy, Ricciardo lost a further 28 seconds. That's around 0.54 a lap. Still fairly significant admittedly, but considering we are to assume Mercedes were lapping to somewhere near maximum as they were fighting each other hard, it's certainly less than it has been. 
You better don't put up your hopes for this season anymore Seb. ;)

To be fair I still see Red Bull as top dogs for next season, their development team is second to none. Hopefully Dan will lead instead of  the other one.