Jump to content Jump to content

FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA PIRELLI 2014

alonsofan46

I don't see the problem. He wasn't jumped t the first stop and then they split their strategies.Don't tell me you thought Kimi would pit first and then still do a 2 stopper ? 
No, but why did Kimi do a two stop to begin with? His lack of pace once Alonso had made his second stop was disastrous.

The team's fault. If Raikkonen had gotten the first call into the pits and stayed on the same strategy, Alonso would never have gotten past. You saw how he was within a second of Kimi for almost the entire first stint and couldn't find a way through.

Because the two stop was (in hindsight at least) the slower strategy for Ferrari. Raikkonen kept Alonso at bay for the first stint and could pull out a gap in the second. Now if Alonso were doing one stop more he should have pushed and passed Raikkonen, but he didn't. That indicates that Ferrari switched Kimi to a two stop belatedly which was why he was so slow for the rest of the second stint- his tyres were shot. Alternatively, they switched Alonso to a three stop which again benefitted him.

I agree with yugin. Along with all the points he mentions, Alonso was 2 seconds a lap faster than Raikkonen after his second stop, so that's basically 11 laps of clear running to eradicate the gap lost in the pit stop. Not much to cover in a 66 lap race and I find it difficult to believe that just slipped under Ferrari's noses.

On another point though, doing some basic number crunching it's clear Red Bull have made strides on Mercedes performance advantage, at least in race trim. 

Ricciardo finished 48 seconds behind the Mercedes. He was 20 seconds behind when it came to his first stop, but we can presume he had much more pace in the car considering he was swarming all over the back of Bottas in the first stint. But anyway that means in 52 laps of near enough identical running, in clean air and with the same strategy, Ricciardo lost a further 28 seconds. That's around 0.54 a lap. Still fairly significant admittedly, but considering we are to assume Mercedes were lapping to somewhere near maximum as they were fighting each other hard, it's certainly less than it has been. 

• Codemasters Staff
Can't wait till Monaco now. Lewis keeps coming out on top in these fights, but we know how good Nico is around Monte Carlo. Yes, the Mercs are still going to be a second or so ahead of the rest, which is a shame, but hopefully there will be another close fight between the two. Maybe one on old rubber, and one on new softs, a la Senna and Mansell...

VetteIfan said:
I agree with yugin. Along with all the points he mentions, Alonso was 2 seconds a lap faster than Raikkonen after his second stop, so that's basically 11 laps of clear running to eradicate the gap lost in the pit stop. Not much to cover in a 66 lap race and I find it difficult to believe that just slipped under Ferrari's noses.

On another point though, doing some basic number crunching it's clear Red Bull have made strides on Mercedes performance advantage, at least in race trim. 

Ricciardo finished 48 seconds behind the Mercedes. He was 20 seconds behind when it came to his first stop, but we can presume he had much more pace in the car considering he was swarming all over the back of Bottas in the first stint. But anyway that means in 52 laps of near enough identical running, in clean air and with the same strategy, Ricciardo lost a further 28 seconds. That's around 0.54 a lap. Still fairly significant admittedly, but considering we are to assume Mercedes were lapping to somewhere near maximum as they were fighting each other hard, it's certainly less than it has been. 
You better don't put up your hopes for this season anymore Seb. ;)