Sign in to follow this  

Best news ever

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-02-rod-cousens-leaves-codemasters-to-become-new-jagex-ceo

This man you see so happily smiling in the article pic is the actual responsible for the direction all CM games took 10 years ago and the awful policy CM have been following since then toward the community (needless to comment on this one right?), and on their games (casual oriented, unfinished games prior launch, etc). It wasn't all about just Steve Hood leaving, which was also some fantastic news of course, but this one was the true problem for all this time, not allowing CM games/employees developing the memorable CM games we were used to enjoying once, loong time ago; in other words, games that weren't oriented to the casual crowd only.

Let's see now If the handling has actually changed in F12015 (not oriented to the casual only), and If things have changed for the Dirt series too, just as one of the devs told us in the dirt forum last year. After learning of such great news like this one, I can now have more faith in what that dev in the dirt forum said, and in what Biggles recent posts about the new handling/etc tell us about

Yes because a man who left yesterday is going to cause the change of direction of a game that's been in development for over a year

hehe xD. Long time I wasn't that happy about CM after learning about this tbh

Strange that no matter how bad things get at companies & how many people lose their jobs to lay-offs ("redundancies"), there's still plenty of money to throw at executives & CEOs.

One of the biggest reasons that gaming feels (to me) like it's been going downhill fast lately is: too much focus on "the business of gaming" & a declining focus on gaming itself. Without quality games, there is no gaming business.

^ That's why this guy leaving could make a diference. It was since his sad arrival that CM began going downhill in what It comes to game content, crowd orientation (all games casualized to the core), unfinished games, etc.

Perhaps we will see the return of old school CM games soon enough now that devs sure will be able to focus on making games for the gamers, thanks to the fact that this, one of the most awful  at CM CEOs ever (from the gaming perspective of course, not from a business point of view) is finally leaving at long last.

hola said:
^ That's why this guy leaving could make a diference. It was since his sad arrival that CM began going downhill in what It comes to game content, crowd orientation (all games casualized to the core), unfinished games, etc.

Perhaps we will see the return of old school CM games soon enough now that devs sure will be able to focus on making games for the gamers, thanks to the fact that this, one of the most awful  at CM CEOs ever (from the gaming perspective of course, not from a business point of view) is finally leaving at long last.
I think you'll find it is just swapping out one suit for another. CM have the following major issues IMO -

i) They don't seem able to leverage the community, and as a small-mid size game maker they have to do this. I say on threads very often that there are a ton of people who want to do mods and help with the game, but if they aren't given the tools to do this then they can't.

ii) Their tech is probably too expensive to develop and not used in enough different games. It must take a ton of effort to develop something like an engine for example. If once you've developed that engine you can't use it on many, many games (like for example frostbite) then its difficult to make money. I think one of the things about CM games in the past is that the graphics have always been great. For me Dirt3 is outstanding and the graphics on PC hold up very well against XB1 and PS4, even 4 years after the release. So I kind of understand how they want to keep hold of the engine development as this probably allows them to develop their trademark high quality graphics. But unless they can claw back the dev costs over more games then they will find it difficult to make money.

iii) They are a small fish in a big pond, having to compete increasingly against people with big wallets who are swallowing up all the licences. I don't think you can afford to be half in it in the racing world. People want to race ferraris, lambos and porsches. If you cannot licence them due to cash issues competing with the big boys then your sales base is going to suffer further and its a downward spiral into nowhere. In some sense if you can't get this sort of stuff on tracks and cars its better to go down a toybox turbo or super mario cart route. It's a matter of either crapping or getting off the pot.

I love CM games. I want them to continue making great games and being successful, otherwise I wouldn't bother posting on here. Can't help feeling though that Dirt 3 was the high point and they are going to really struggle going forwards in a world that seems to be stacked against them.

Rod Cousens was hardly just "a suit", to be fair. He's been a familiar name and face in the video games industry since his Quicksilva days in the very early 80's.

hola said:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-02-rod-cousens-leaves-codemasters-to-become-new-jagex-ceo

This man you see so happily smiling in the article pic is the actual responsible for the direction all CM games took 10 years ago and the awful policy CM have been following since then toward the community (needless to comment on this one right?), and on their games (casual oriented, unfinished games prior launch, etc). It wasn't all about just Steve Hood leaving, which was also some fantastic news of course, but this one was the true problem for all this time, not allowing CM games/employees developing the memorable CM games we were used to enjoying once, loong time ago; in other words, games that weren't oriented to the casual crowd only.

Let's see now If the handling has actually changed in F12015 (not oriented to the casual only), and If things have changed for the Dirt series too, just as one of the devs told us in the dirt forum last year. After learning of such great news like this one, I can now have more faith in what that dev in the dirt forum said, and in what Biggles recent posts about the new handling/etc tell us about
I agree .... can only be good news ....