Sign in to follow this  

Will a June release help sales

Britpoint said:
There's a lot of stuff we can't do before the Australian GP. The cars are unveiled for the first time in January, but they can change a lot between that and the first GP. Some teams just run with interim 2014 cars in testing. Some teams have liveries completely different to their race livery. Sometimes teams aren't officially entered onto the grid until a week before the first Grand Prix, or maybe there are last minute driver changes or regulation changes. Sometimes entire Grand Prix fall off/get added to the calender!

Obviously you can do some work with placeholders before that first GP, but to go into more detail? Modelling, livery textures, engine audio, handling - gotta wait 'till Melbourne. AI comes once the handling is nailed down; it isn't just a case of tweaking performance numbers to get the grid spread right. If you've changed the way the cars handle (as obviously happens between '14/'15) the AI start out confused. They need to relearn the tracks with the new handling model, then we can start doing the performance balancing for them. And of course with new content comes new sign offs and new bugs to squish.

So yeah, there's a bit of a brief explanation of why throwing something together for the first race can't really happen :) We'd like to get out there as early as we can - I have no idea if that could be before June in the future, as cool as that would be. But it doubt it'll ever be March/April.
Hi Britpoint - thanks for the response!

I understand everything you're saying, but I still don't agree because I feel like everything you've described can be updated after release, if it really can't be done before.  Every other major sports franchise releases their yearly game right before the season starts, then releases updates to account for anything that changed after the game went gold.  Why not have a small patch 1.01 to update some liveries or driver line ups, then always plan a bigger patch 1.1 to update performance/handling, or even to add a team like Marussia who's status was a bit up in the air until the last minute.   Interest for an F1 season is never higher than right at the start of the season, and fans would want to play F1 201x in conjunction with the current season, not 3 months after it starts. 

Perhaps but most games such as fifa are just switching out one player for another to correct for the transfer market for the most part so it's not exactly anything major and that's quick and easy to do I've done it myself in the past on older Fifa games when I haven't bought the next years version. With the F1 games it's a lot more complicated because you need data on the cars to work from and until they at least do winter testing there is no data and in realterms you can't really start to form a semi realistic order until after the first3/4 races as you have to give the teams and cars a chance to settle down a bit. In reality I think June is probably realistically the earliest it probably can be done.

I have to admit though I expected more of a July release than June as I expected it to be more of a summer break kind of release. So Kudos to CM for being more efficient than expected given the troubles they've had lately.

When have Codemasters ever nailed the pecking order anyway? In my copy of F1 2013 Hamilton and Alonso were the 2 dominant drivers, they won a combined total of 3 GPs that year. Chilton also regularly dominated Bianchi, i mean seriously come on guys. In 2012 I had races were HRT got podiums and Sauber were literally unbeatable... Did they even watch the season?

codies are useless

I dont have 2014 but Id bet any money Williams and Red Bull can genuinely beat Mercedes.. Codies have no respect they just want to keep the 10yr olds happy by mixing up the grid every 5 seconds. Button for 2015 Codefarcesters World Champion anybody?

I dont have 2014 but Id bet any money Williams and Red Bull can genuinely beat Mercedes.. Codies have no respect they just want to keep the 10yr olds happy by mixing up the grid every 5 seconds. Button for 2015 Codefarcesters World Champion anybody?
Well that money you betted will be gone.. Because on pure pace mercs are unbeatable against the other ai, if they are 1-2 and there are no safety cars or rain interruptions where the ai panic and do silly decisions the mercs will beat any ai by a fair margin, so maybe play the game before you start bashing them.. 

Britpoint said:
There's a lot of stuff we can't do before the Australian GP. The cars are unveiled for the first time in January, but they can change a lot between that and the first GP. Some teams just run with interim 2014 cars in testing. Some teams have liveries completely different to their race livery. Sometimes teams aren't officially entered onto the grid until a week before the first Grand Prix, or maybe there are last minute driver changes or regulation changes. Sometimes entire Grand Prix fall off/get added to the calender!
why in the 2014 game does the McLaren have the test livery and not the true race livery they had in Melbourne 2014? and why has it not been fixed? just saying lol

Britpoint said:
why in the 2014 game does the McLaren have the test livery and not the true race livery they had in Melbourne 2014? and why has it not been fixed? just saying lol
Because they didn't work on 2014 after March? ...

Britpoint said:

I'd guess that maybe they couldn't get it licensed or approved is all.

Well that money you betted will be gone.. Because on pure pace mercs are unbeatable against the other ai, if they are 1-2 and there are no safety cars or rain interruptions where the ai panic and do silly decisions the mercs will beat any ai by a fair margin, so maybe play the game before you start bashing them.. 

Yeah I agree I think CM's AI is pretty accurate I think for the most part.  Yes the AI did get a little mixed up sometimes on the earlier games but then CM programmed them that way to mix things up a bit and provide the player with different challenges in the career mode from season to season to prevent it from becoming too stale. I personally felt that worked quite well and I liked that feature in the earlier ones and I'm not sure why CM took it out tbhin 2013/2014 as it always keeps the game fresh at least to me. I know a few others @Wynterdust among them was another who liked this feature

Yeah in my 2014 game too the Merc's were on my tail all season long whenever I had managed to get in front and the times when I hadn't been in front myself they pretty much won on 2014 so I agree it's pretty damn accurate and even though I managed to take 6 race wins they still took the title.