Sign in to follow this  

Will a June release help sales

as I see it, June - mid summer is a dull time for top releases, I used to swear at a late september release. because it was a date that was just before releases of all top games, and by the time we got any update, cod - fifa - BF was being released, so I lost interest in f1, hopefully a June release can , keep interest high

I think it could. It's a few weeks before the Silverstone Grand Prix and I imagine the British are one of the main demographics. Also it's the summer holidays so a lot of people won't have anything to do, rather than mid to late October when a lot of potential buyers have exams to revise for.

When 2010 was released they did a feature on BBC at Monza where Lewis and Nick Hamilton played against Jake Humphrey. I think if Codemasters managed to do something like that with Sky this year it'd be very cool. The Sky F1 Team all have a race.

It may help but it may also depend on when P Cars get's released as well. ATM there isn't an official release date for it other than a possibility of May but we can't assume anything right now.

I don't think it would hurt sales by releasing in June. Some good reasons have been mentioned as to why this would be the case, but also the game will be relevant for longer. One of the most annoying things about the release dates of previous F1 games is that the season is so close to finishing that the cars and even drivers become out of date very quickly.

At least I will have time to play it over the summer too. The previous release dates always coincided with going back to school/college/university. Having just started my first year at university in September this was particularly problematic with F1 2014 and I've barely had time to play it.

It Pcars doesn't get delayed again and it gets released in May it could affect sales of F1 2015.

If F1 2015 releases shortly after Project Cars, then no. CM should either release 2015 before Project Cars or keep their traditional end-of-the-year release date after a lot of consumers have already familiarized themselves with Project Cars. Project Cars is going to be a tremendous game so releasing F1 2015 shortly after Project Cars will only hurt F1 2015 sales as it will fall unnoticed in Project Cars' shadow.

Well I saw on Amazon the latest release date estimate is May 15 for P Cars so going to be a tough one to call. Whether it is released for definite on that date though I can't say.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KL32DCE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=06S70JZZCJBCFA11CXAN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

Last I read it's June 12 for F1 2015 so as things stand it looks like they're pretty much going head to head here atm

A March (Australia GP) release would have helped more.

I doubt they'll ever manage to do that as they need a look at the cars first and foremost before they can go in the game and they don';t get to see them any earlier than we do. IU think the June/July period is realistically probably the earliest it can be done..

Fortunately it won't have to go up against projects like PCars every year.  but this time around it could hurt things

Its never going to compete with the big boys. F1's a niche sport, droves of casual gamers from a broad audience arent going to be running to the shops to spend £50 on a sport theyre not interested in. 

Thats why I wish Codies would make a game for the fans of the sport. Just look at Geoff Crammonds games, they pay the right amount of respect and dignity to F1 and its fans. Codies version seems childish and immature in comparison

I don't think a release date at any time of year would alter the amount of people buying the game. The f1 series has a very strict audience and the people that were gonna get the game would get it regardless of other game release. It's one of them games which you either love or hate

I don't think a release date at any time of year would alter the amount of people buying the game. The f1 series has a very strict audience and the people that were gonna get the game would get it regardless of other game release. It's one of them games which you either love or hate

maybe not for the true fans of racing games but it might affect the casual audience a bit more. I guess only time will tell though as I could be wrong.

maybe not for the true fans of racing games but it might affect the casual audience a bit more. I guess only time will tell though as I could be wrong.
OK but realistically how many casuals actually go out and spend £50 on a game like this? I wish Codies would stop trying to pull these people in and just make a good game for the people who will truly appreciate it

OK but realistically how many casuals actually go out and spend £50 on a game like this? I wish Codies would stop trying to pull these people in and just make a good game for the people who will truly appreciate it

I think they tried that with F1 2013 and it ended up being a bit of a mess and had I known it was going to be in that kind of mess I know I wouldn't have bothered buying the game. So I think CM are trying to tread more lightly this time which is understandable as they don't want to repeat those sorts of mistakes again hence the creation of a Pro mode I think in 2015 for the more hardcore sim lovers so those that prefer the older way of playing can still use the old simcade way of doing things. Maybe this idea of theirs will work maybe it won't but either way we won't know until the game comes out in June.

I don't know about you but I haven't bought any game for £50 and last I checked on Amazon the PC version was actually closer to £30 than 50 so it's not necessarily so that you will have to pay £50 for it so it may do you some good to shop around if you're not happy paying that kind of price as that's what I do.

I doubt they'll ever manage to do that as they need a look at the cars first and foremost before they can go in the game and they don';t get to see them any earlier than we do. IU think the June/July period is realistically probably the earliest it can be done..

Fortunately it won't have to go up against projects like PCars every year.  but this time around it could hurt things

Cars are unveiled in late January.  6 Weeks is more than enough time just to create some car models and liveries.  Now, in their defense, I'll give it to them that there may be a lengthy FOM approval process, but they could easily have the game finished by the end of January sans the cars, then focus the last development on the car models/FOM approval to get it released a bit earlier than what we're seeing this year, and I hope we at least get a May F1 2016 release, and then maybe April F1 2017.

Cars are unveiled in late January.  6 Weeks is more than enough time just to create some car models and liveries.  Now, in their defense, I'll give it to them that there may be a lengthy FOM approval process, but they could easily have the game finished by the end of January sans the cars, then focus the last development on the car models/FOM approval to get it released a bit earlier than what we're seeing this year, and I hope we at least get a May F1 2016 release, and then maybe April F1 2017.
Won't happen and you're forgetting about the AI here as well the cars need to be programmed in such  a way in that they're preforming in a semi realistic way if not 100 % accurate as in Mercedes winning a lot of races atm. Ferrari getting close on a few tracks the order of the AI and how they perform. Yes these things will be updated throughout the season but having some of it in place as early as possible will make the job easier for them later on. They need to know the pace of the cars and how they're performing otherwise you'll end up with a completely unrealistic grid and they can't do this without some form of data.

Won't happen and you're forgetting about the AI here as well the cars need to be programmed in such  a way in that they're preforming in a semi realistic way if not 100 % accurate as in Mercedes winning a lot of races atm. Ferrari getting close on a few tracks the order of the AI and how they perform. Yes these things will be updated throughout the season but having some of it in place as early as possible will make the job easier for them later on. They need to know the pace of the cars and how they're performing otherwise you'll end up with a completely unrealistic grid and they can't do this without some form of data.
I think you solved the very problem you presented - "these things will be updated throughout the season".  There's no reason they can't have it a little bit wrong for Australia, then they can continuously tweak throughout the season, even as soon as the first race is in the books.  What do the fans want? A game that has the wrong AI pace for a short period of time, or a delayed game until the AI never have the wrong pace?  Quite sure everyone would rather have the game.

There's a lot of stuff we can't do before the Australian GP. The cars are unveiled for the first time in January, but they can change a lot between that and the first GP. Some teams just run with interim 2014 cars in testing. Some teams have liveries completely different to their race livery. Sometimes teams aren't officially entered onto the grid until a week before the first Grand Prix, or maybe there are last minute driver changes or regulation changes. Sometimes entire Grand Prix fall off/get added to the calender!

Obviously you can do some work with placeholders before that first GP, but to go into more detail? Modelling, livery textures, engine audio, handling - gotta wait 'till Melbourne. AI comes once the handling is nailed down; it isn't just a case of tweaking performance numbers to get the grid spread right. If you've changed the way the cars handle (as obviously happens between '14/'15) the AI start out confused. They need to relearn the tracks with the new handling model, then we can start doing the performance balancing for them. And of course with new content comes new sign offs and new bugs to squish.

So yeah, there's a bit of a brief explanation of why throwing something together for the first race can't really happen :) We'd like to get out there as early as we can - I have no idea if that could be before June in the future, as cool as that would be. But it doubt it'll ever be March/April.

Its never going to compete with the big boys. F1's a niche sport, droves of casual gamers from a broad audience arent going to be running to the shops to spend £50 on a sport theyre not interested in. 

Thats why I wish Codies would make a game for the fans of the sport. Just look at Geoff Crammonds games, they pay the right amount of respect and dignity to F1 and its fans. Codies version seems childish and immature in comparison
Your mistake is assuming everyone who is a die hard F1 fan must want a sim - ie die hard F1 fan = die hard sim racing fan.

That's a false assumption IMO. In fact most F1 fans probably don't even know about sim racing. When they pick up the game they want something entertaining. They want some that claims to be a taste of the real f1 experience and has some tech detail, but they don't necessarily want something that's hard to play. Thing is with consumers a lot of them don't actually know what they want. My guess is if you asked die hard F1 fans whether they wanted a game that is as realistic as possible they would say yes, but they would drop it like it was on fire the minute they found they couldn't play it because it was too hard.

Also IME video games players tend to be the younger crowd and these are the people that are likely to find a sim more difficult to handle.

Britpoint said:
There's a lot of stuff we can't do before the Australian GP. The cars are unveiled for the first time in January, but they can change a lot between that and the first GP. Some teams just run with interim 2014 cars in testing. Some teams have liveries completely different to their race livery. Sometimes teams aren't officially entered onto the grid until a week before the first Grand Prix, or maybe there are last minute driver changes or regulation changes. Sometimes entire Grand Prix fall off/get added to the calender!

Obviously you can do some work with placeholders before that first GP, but to go into more detail? Modelling, livery textures, engine audio, handling - gotta wait 'till Melbourne. AI comes once the handling is nailed down; it isn't just a case of tweaking performance numbers to get the grid spread right. If you've changed the way the cars handle (as obviously happens between '14/'15) the AI start out confused. They need to relearn the tracks with the new handling model, then we can start doing the performance balancing for them. And of course with new content comes new sign offs and new bugs to squish.

So yeah, there's a bit of a brief explanation of why throwing something together for the first race can't really happen :) We'd like to get out there as early as we can - I have no idea if that could be before June in the future, as cool as that would be. But it doubt it'll ever be March/April.
Hi Britpoint - thanks for the response!

I understand everything you're saying, but I still don't agree because I feel like everything you've described can be updated after release, if it really can't be done before.  Every other major sports franchise releases their yearly game right before the season starts, then releases updates to account for anything that changed after the game went gold.  Why not have a small patch 1.01 to update some liveries or driver line ups, then always plan a bigger patch 1.1 to update performance/handling, or even to add a team like Marussia who's status was a bit up in the air until the last minute.   Interest for an F1 season is never higher than right at the start of the season, and fans would want to play F1 201x in conjunction with the current season, not 3 months after it starts. 

Every other major sports franchise releases their yearly game right before the season starts,

It's not true, fifa 1-2 months after start, motogp - June/July, 

Every other major sports franchise releases their yearly game right before the season starts,

Sorry, I should have said the majority of the major ones; NBA Live, NBA 2K, Madden NFL, NHL 2K, NCAA ones, etc.  Isn't FIFA debatable since it covers the whole globe and football/scoccer never ends? :P

Sorry, I should have said the majority of the major ones; NBA Live, NBA 2K, Madden NFL, NHL 2K, NCAA ones, etc.  Isn't FIFA debatable since it covers the whole globe and football/scoccer never ends? :P
Madden is just the same game over and over anyway lol.

Also, in none of those, does the handling change. People will run the same next year as they do this year. So it's a little easier. 

On top of all that, the courts/fields they play on are all the same with just a different visual look. So they only have to program for on,  and spread it across all others. Can't do that on a racing game with 20 different layouts.

Britpoint said:

So yeah, there's a bit of a brief explanation of why throwing something together for the first race can't really happen :) We'd like to get out there as early as we can - I have no idea if that could be before June in the future, as cool as that would be. But it doubt it'll ever be March/April.
Which was exactly what I was trying to say. I don't know all the inner workings of these things as I've never been part of anything like what you do However I do realise these things need to be done before the release of any game. Which was what I was trying to explain.