Ai is draining less ERS than me.

I'm by no means any good at this game, I play with a few assists on and 95 Difficulty.

I have just noticed in a race on Australia that the Ai drains less ERS and also recovers more of it going into a corner, I was in a Red Bull and behind me was Leclerc in a Ferrari.

We both were on ERS Mode 4, as a starting point I took the white line right before the final corner and the finish line as the end. 

At the start I had 70% ERS and Leclerc 12%, at the finish line I only had 58% (-12%) and Leclerc 5% (-7%), I was also recovering less when braking into the same corner +5 compared to him +8. 

I know recovering ERS under braking might be because I use a few assists but the ERS drainage on the straight can't be because of it? Is this because of the difference in cars, assists or just something that needs to be fixed?

If it is an issue I don't know if it has been addressed already but I would like to hear other people opinions on this.

How do you know how much the AI has? I understand they are lower than max when their red lights come on, but that's all I understand about it. They do seem to have a lot of ERS, though. 

8 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

How do you know how much the AI has? I understand they are lower than max when their red lights come on, but that's all I understand about it. They do seem to have a lot of ERS, though. 

I went to the replay screen and checked their steering wheel

• Thanks 1

I think codies have confirmed in another thread that steering wheel animations are not accurate for the AI...

4 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

I think codies have confirmed in another thread that steering wheel animations are not accurate for the AI...

Yes but wasn't that about being in the pits? Where the steering wheel doesn't even turn at all?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JordyCruijff said:

Yes but wasn't that about being in the pits? Where the steering wheel doesn't even turn at all?

David Greco confirmed that the numbers on the wheel (for the ai) don’t always show the correct usage for the ai and that although they are pretty good at deploying the ERS, it does in fact function the same as the player and there is no glitch there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrod22145 said:

David Greco confirmed that the numbers on the wheel (for the ai) don’t always show the correct usage for the ai and that although they are pretty good at deploying the ERS, it does in fact function the same as the player and there is no glitch there.

Thanks for letting me know.

Posted (edited)

I’m not convinced, it’s very convenient of David Greco to brush this off as not accurate, but then why is it shown on the ai cockpit at all I wonder....

We have no explanation of how the ai uses the ers at all.  

I’ve done extensive testing of the ai ers vs mine, I usually race at 101-107 and even if ai are not at mode 4 always until mode 1 and do the constant fiddling of the modes when overtaking, their speed does NOT reflect that. 

I think there is much more to the story than just “not accurate “

Edited by KrazyLurt
Spelling
  • Agree 4

Can't say I've lost any sleep over how the AI deploys ERS. I imagine it's similar to how automatic ERS functions for the player.

• Agree 2

Also in career one can develop ERS. Maybe the AI car of the other team has better developed ERS so it is better in harvesting and deploying? You can only compare with your teammate really.

If in career and havent upgraded the ers in engine conpartment chances are the other teams have . Hence the use less ers and lasts for longer 

15 hours ago, Chicane486 said:

Also in career one can develop ERS. Maybe the AI car of the other team has better developed ERS so it is better in harvesting and deploying? You can only compare with your teammate really.

True, but I tested it in a regular GP. I'm yet to start my career mode, waiting for the performance update.

16 hours ago, KrazyLurt said:

I’m not convinced, it’s very convenient of David Greco to brush this off as not accurate, but then why is it shown on the ai cockpit at all I wonder....

We have no explanation of how the ai uses the ers at all.  

I’ve done extensive testing of the ai ers vs mine, I usually race at 101-107 and even if ai are not at mode 4 always until mode 1 and do the constant fiddling of the modes when overtaking, their speed does NOT reflect that. 

I think there is much more to the story than just “not accurate “

Exactly what I was thinking too.

16 hours ago, Zachrulez said:

Can't say I've lost any sleep over how the AI deploys ERS. I imagine it's similar to how automatic ERS functions for the player.

It does seem like it indeed, didn't really think of that tbh. When I'm in Auto ERS it does seem I'm losing less ERS compared to Manual though.

There are 3 factors that I've not seen written down;

1. Did leclerc use ERS the whole straight?

2. AI use braking more efficient causing them to gain more ERS. Braking less hard but longer fills up ERS more than the other way around. Changing your race style and qually style improves it.

3. ERS is less efficient below 10% Below 10% is less ERS usage and less power gain.

The only way to know if the data on the steering wheel are inaccurate is by watching the replay of said driver from start to finish(AI always starts in hotlap mode)

Could it be simply that Codies use ERS as a way to manage AI difficulty? I.e. if you select 0 on the difficulty slider, the AI have a much smaller energy store compared to if you select 110 difficultly?

This would seem like an easy way for the Devs to manage difficulty. A higher store would mean less of a percentage use over that of the player running the same ERS mode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PineappleBuster said:

There are 3 factors that I've not seen written down;

1. Did leclerc use ERS the whole straight?

2. AI use braking more efficient causing them to gain more ERS. Braking less hard but longer fills up ERS more than the other way around. Changing your race style and qually style improves it.

3. ERS is less efficient below 10% Below 10% is less ERS usage and less power gain.

The only way to know if the data on the steering wheel are inaccurate is by watching the replay of said driver from start to finish(AI always starts in hotlap mode)

1. I only tested in from that white line till the finish line, he was in mode 4 the entire time.

2. I get that, I think I said that in my OP.

3. How do you know that?

I guess so, I only checked for a little part. But it wasn't meant to be an official test or something, I just found out about it and wanted to know what other people thought about it or maybe have experienced the same thing and have more details.

1 hour ago, CarloLewis said:

Could it be simply that Codies use ERS as a way to manage AI difficulty? I.e. if you select 0 on the difficulty slider, the AI have a much smaller energy store compared to if you select 110 difficultly?

This would seem like an easy way for the Devs to manage difficulty. A higher store would mean less of a percentage use over that of the player running the same ERS mode.

Interesting, could be indeed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CarloLewis said:

Geesh I hope not that would be the laziest ai coding ever! Ai skill is supposed to be how fast they can take corners, not with extra power but more skill. Even ai on 0 should still be the same speed as you on straights. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Geesh I hope not that would be the laziest ai coding ever! Ai skill is supposed to be how fast they can take corners, not with extra power but more skill. Even ai on 0 should still be the same speed as you on straights

Well, in theory they would. Considering that you were both in the same car, with the same ERS setting and exited the corner with the same speed on the same line, they would be the exact same speed. The difference would be that they would have less energy stored so would need to use lower ERS settings throughout a race/lap.

They would still have an AI skill (allegedly each driver has their own AI), but if you've ever tried racing 0 AI for fun, you fly passed them on the straights, not just corners.

3 hours ago, JordyCruijff said:

3. How do you know that?

It has been implemented in F1 2018 and didn't change this year, you do need to manage it more this year.

7 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Geesh I hope not that would be the laziest ai coding ever! Ai skill is supposed to be how fast they can take corners, not with extra power but more skill. Even ai on 0 should still be the same speed as you on straights. 

They're just as fast in straights, they just brake earlier and accelerate later. It feels much slower because of it.

AI Difficulty changes driver performance but not car performance.

• Agree 1

On 7/15/2019 at 7:32 PM, jrod22145 said:

What are they based on then? Those numbers must have a source. It doesn't make sense to have a whole separate algorithm for fake numbers to put on the LCD instead of just using the actual ERS charge numbers.

Is there a possibility to check the ERS usage by an App using the UDP stream? I don't know if you can record the AI telemetry. This would provide some clarity about this fact/myth.

3 hours ago, Ho3n3r said:

What are they based on then? Those numbers must have a source. It doesn't make sense to have a whole separate algorithm for fake numbers to put on the LCD instead of just using the actual ERS charge numbers.

It does make sense to have an algorithm to generate fake numbers if the real numbers aren’t there....

The AI is much more simplistic than the player so i’d bet their ERS usage is too. Total speculation but maybe they just get x seconds of extra power per lap?

21 hours ago, PineappleBuster said:

It has been implemented in F1 2018 and didn't change this year, you do need to manage it more this year.

They're just as fast in straights, they just brake earlier and accelerate later. It feels much slower because of it.

AI Difficulty changes driver performance but not car performance.

Great point about the perceived slowness of low level ai on straights!