Anyone else despise Monaco?

15 hours ago, poulka22 said:

@HDR10 I agree whole heartedly.  It was a few games ago it was fun.  You set down force to preset 1 and you had something called wheel lock.  Which allowed the front wheels to have a larger turning radius.  With both of those you could maneuver quite well.  It was still tight but you more control and we’re much more competitive.  Here lately I run a few laps then quit because I cannot keep up.  Just to give an idea I race on 48 difficulty as to have challenge.  I run in the top ten with an occasional victory running with Toro Rosso.  Just did a Monaco race set difficulty to zero could not do anything.  AI just ran right by me.  As understeer was so bad.

I actually feel way better now I know I'm not the worst Monaco driver in the world. I can beat the ai on level 30 at Monaco!! You're right about the steering in older games. Not much point in having all this extra so called realism if the cars don't go where you want them to! 

Actually these days whenever I see Monaco I think yay all new car parts. Cos. I'm gonna qualify last anyway so may as well switch out every single part for new. Last race I did there game said I had over grid penalty of over 60 I think. Still started same place... Last! 

My new car actually gave me a noticeable speed advantage so over the full race distance I actually made it up to 7th! With a gazillion flashbacks or course! 

Without flashbacks....... That should be a YouTube challenge! 

• Haha 2

Monaco I have to put the difficulty lower than any other track, though I'm still not exactly sure what would be my optimal difficulty, if I push hard the AI is suddenly too slow, but I risk errors.

However in F1 2018, my first season I did without using flashbacks at all (turned it off entirely) I actually crashed out of both Baku and Singapore causing DNF's for both, Monaco on the other hand I actually completed on 100% without any flashbacks.  I probably damaged a wing at some point though.  

Given that I actually like Monaco more so than either Baku or Singapore, those other two city tracks just seem so... bland.  Monaco has an interesting layout with fun elevation changes, even if I can't figure out the optimal AI level.  

Wheel users..are you using 360 degrees or less on Monaco? I tried 270, but that was too much. 

• Like 1

The trick to Monaco is drive as slowly as possible without losing too much time.
Since it's damn nearly impossible to overtake on that infernal track, it's about the best way of finishing a race.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I hate Monaco. I've won the race twice (100% distance). Never higher than 95 AI (2018). The AI became harder from 2017 to 2018. Too much hard for me. I keep the difficulty level at what it is and hope for a miracle. I feel like the only way to win is to go for less stops and lead the train.

Overcut, less stops and lead the train.

I can't imagine how people are faster at Monaco than other places...

Edited by sirio994

Posted (edited)

My results in Monaco are slightly above average on other tracks, but I don't really like to drive there. Current cars just feel so big there. I can get used to it and start to feel confident with my driving, but it's so frustrating in the beginning. I normally race at 50% length, but for Monaco I change to 25%, because I can't imagine driving almost 40 laps there. I also allow myself 3 flashbacks during the race. If I crash after the 3rd then it's over. I never look forward to Monaco and it happened a few times that I just went into the barrier in the first corner and retired, just to move forward in the season.

Edited by kubakw

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sirio994 said:

I can't imagine how people are faster at Monaco than other places...

The same way Vettel is faster at Tilkedromes than at classic tracks: being good in slow corners and being good out of corners in general. The former suits Monaco well and is why I'm faster there than in most places, but I am also faster at tracks like Singapore and Abu Dhabi than I am at Monaco and I am also much faster in F1 2016 than in any of the games that came after it because of the slimmer rear tyres and the lower traction.

Edited by Coffer

On 7/15/2019 at 11:28 PM, CarloLewis said:

I'm terrible at it, but I actually like it. Maybe I'm a sadist? 🤔

You mean masochist. 🙊🙉🙈

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

Wheel users..are you using 360 degrees or less on Monaco? I tried 270, but that was too much. 

I use 360°.

Changes to that value makes the experience less enjoyable to me as it loses the 1:1 movement to what i am doing with the wheel, if changed to anything but 360°.

Imo, Monaco is extremely hard on the wheel, if we do 100% distance, pad on the other hand is too easy, except maybe the Loews Chicane which is too narrow for the pads sluggish steering angles.

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Spelling error
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SturmDesTodes said:

I use 360°.

Changes to that value makes the experience less enjoyable to me as it loses the 1:1 movement to what i am doing with the wheel, if changed to anything but 360°.

Imo, Monaco is extremely hard on the wheel, if we do 100% distance, pad on the other hand is too easy, except maybe the Loews Chicane which is too narrow for the pads sluggish steering angles.

I also use 360° like on all other tracks. Lower the angle will be easier in one chicane but destroys the feeling on all other corners for me.

• Agree 1

On 7/15/2019 at 10:21 PM, DaleRossi said:

With a wheel, I hated it in Formula C in PCars and I hate it in this game. lol  It is always one hairpin away from needing reconstructive surgery on my wrists from smacking the wall.

No clue how real drivers handle this track. Especially guys like Senna and Hamilton that just dominate it. It's going to take a Miserable 50 or 100 more laps to even get remotely good at it for this week's deal. 😕

It's the most attractive option it's been for a while IMO, I suck at it but it actually feels driveable and the lock is possible even on 360 steering so I hope to be enjoying the league race this time around. I doubt my brief flirtation with career will reach Monaco as I can't even bring myself to finish the Devon Butler scenario since @Tiametmarduk destruction tested the theory that any of that s**t even MATTERS.... :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SturmDesTodes said:

You mean masochist. 🙊🙉🙈

Looks like we have a BDSM expert over here! 😉 🤣

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, svensenk86 said:

Which distance are you using ? 😄

I am driving on 50%, but yes, those 36 laps are enough. I quit after the gearbox got stuck the third time, this is ok then to stop the car 😉

But as I said, I am looking forward when I am competitive because I somehow like Monaco. With my first year Alfa I cannot compete, made it to P15 in qualifying, race, no chance due to gearbox and bad tyre decision from me. But Baku is not better at all, this track I do not like at all.

Full distance. Which is a real chore around Monaco. Managed to drag my Alfa home in the points in 9th, 2 laps down and one place ahead of my team mate who I had an effort to keep behind me for the last 30 laps. All achieved because I made 1/2 stops less than the rest of the field, and then ended up with the train of all trains behind me. Oh and roughly 1,335,599 flashbacks 😂😂  I really enjoy Baku, and Singapore so I’m not dreadful at all Street circuits, I’ve just never been able to get round Monaco on any of the more recent f1 games. Maybe I need to invest in a wheel...

Edited by johnboy83
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, sirio994 said:

(100% distance).

That sounds like Hell. 25% is all I've done there and it was miserable. lol

12 hours ago, Bankai3987 said:

The trick to Monaco is drive as slowly as possible without losing too much time.
Since it's damn nearly impossible to overtake on that infernal track, it's about the best way of finishing a race.

That makes sense. It's almost more difficult if you're any bit faster than the AI since there are maybe 2 overtake zones.  With full damage, it's really tricky. 

It would be fun to see what the actual drivers think about the course when they are being completely candid. I find it hard to believe there arent at least a few that dread it. Although, the rest of the time there probably more than makes up for it.lol

21 hours ago, lilfurbal said:

Monaco I have to put the difficulty lower than any other track, though I'm still not exactly sure what would be my optimal difficulty, if I push hard the AI is suddenly too slow, but I risk errors.

However in F1 2018, my first season I did without using flashbacks at all (turned it off entirely) I actually crashed out of both Baku and Singapore causing DNF's for both, Monaco on the other hand I actually completed on 100% without any flashbacks.  I probably damaged a wing at some point though.  

Given that I actually like Monaco more so than either Baku or Singapore, those other two city tracks just seem so... bland.  Monaco has an interesting layout with fun elevation changes, even if I can't figure out the optimal AI level.  

Yeah it's the only way I can really cope with Monaco and get a semi decent result. As I tend to run the AI about 20% lower than I do at any of the other tracks. I can just about cope wi9th it but it's not easy.

On 7/16/2019 at 1:38 AM, Coffer said:

Why? Hamilton is better than Senna at this point. It doesn't take much since Senna is, as of right now, not even in the all-time top 5 anymore. He was excellent for his time, but that's more because only Schumacher physically trained harder than he did and he effectively pioneered the idea of doing that sort of training.

I find it amazing how people hail Hamilton as some sort of god right now yet still think that he isn't better than Senna. Hamilton never had to intentionally take his (superior) championship rival out to win against inferior machinery the way Senna did in 1990.

You don't really know what you are talking about son.

9 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

That sounds like Hell. 25% is all I've done there and it was miserable. lol

I think it was the first time completing a full distance at that track. Or actually finishing. The whole weekend took an age with practice, quali and race. I do feel I have cheated a little with flashbacks In this instance, but they are there for a reason and by god did I need them. 

14 hours ago, johnboy83 said:

I think it was the first time completing a full distance at that track. Or actually finishing. The whole weekend took an age with practice, quali and race. I do feel I have cheated a little with flashbacks In this instance, but they are there for a reason and by god did I need them. 

lol Yeah, flashbacks are forgivable at Monaco.  Every now and then I can get through it comfortably,  but not consistently. 

I'm starting to notice the Mercedes gives me a lot more problems there and the Ferrari and Alfa both feel pretty good there.

Senna vs Hamilton, just like other sports, it is tough to compare since they were in completely different eras.  Racing Senna's cars with an H shifter and a clutch was an absolutely handful.  They both were a men among boys, but Hamilton has been more dominant for a longer period. Obviously, Senna's career was cut short.

Schumacher was incredible, too. He did have quite a bit of help from teammates taking one for the team time to time.

Mario Andretti is arguably the most accomplished racer of all time. Championships in F1, Le Mans 24 Hours, Indy 500, 24 Hours of Daytona, Sebring, etc etc.

Great video for those that maybe havent seen it of Lewis taking Senna's MP4 for a spin:

• Like 2

I have almost never had bad races with a wheel (370° rotation) in Monaco in leagues. I believe I am really good at it but hate it with a passion. As difficult to drive they are and as much as a driver can make a difference, to me those 3.3km are no race track.

A racetrack should always provide the necessary room for overtaking opportunities and battles, wether you drive a 1m wide kart or 2m wide, high downforce F1 car. Anything else is just not suited for racing cars, no matter if it is as "glamorous" as they say. You just end up with a grand prix weekend where qualifying is a lot more exciting than the actual main event, in which they only follow each other in a train formation, hoping for a lucky safety car situation or a mistake from an opponent.

I just do not see the joy in watching something like that, let alone driving at it.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, DaleRossi said:

Senna vs Hamilton, just like other sports, it is tough to compare since they were in completely different eras.  Racing Senna's cars with an H shifter and a clutch was an absolutely handful.  They both were a men among boys, but Hamilton has been more dominant for a longer period. Obviously, Senna's career was cut short.

Schumacher was incredible, too. He did have quite a bit of help from teammates taking one for the team time to time.

Mario Andretti is arguably the most accomplished racer of all time. Championships in F1, Le Mans 24 Hours, Indy 500, 24 Hours of Daytona, Sebring, etc etc.

Great video for those that maybe havent seen it of Lewis taking Senna's MP4 for a spin:

I don' tknow about that yes he died but I think even had he lived I doubt he'd have raced for much more than another 2 or 3 seasons at most tbh given he was more or less the same age as Prost/Mansell his main competition as he came in at the same time as them.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:21 PM, DaleRossi said:

With a wheel, I hated it in Formula C in PCars and I hate it in this game. lol  It is always one hairpin away from needing reconstructive surgery on my wrists from smacking the wall.

No clue how real drivers handle this track. Especially guys like Senna and Hamilton that just dominate it. It's going to take a Miserable 50 or 100 more laps to even get remotely good at it for this week's deal. 😕

I'm yet to finish a race on it :<

saying that I've been practicing and im feeling hopeful for this weeks event

47 minutes ago, sjsharp2010 said:

I don' tknow about that yes he died but I think even had he lived I doubt he'd have raced for much more than another 2 or 3 seasons at most tbh given he was more or less the same age as Prost/Mansell his main competition as he came in at the same time as them.

True, but my point was he may have had more championships. He had 3 and Hamilton is on 5 and counting.

Schumacher is the GOAT, but I'll be surprised if Lewis doesn't pass him. Lewis will likely be at 6 this year.