Anyone else despise Monaco?

34 minutes ago, mRfLoZe said:

I'm yet to finish a race on it :<

saying that I've been practicing and im feeling hopeful for this weeks event

I need to try it with the MP car. 2109 car variations on this track stick out more so than any other to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

True, but my point was he may have had more championships. He had 3 and Hamilton is on 5 and counting.

Schumacher is the GOAT, but I'll be surprised if Lewis doesn't pass him. Lewis will likely be at 6 this year. 

I don’t think ‘greatest’ is decided by how many titles you have. ‘Best’, maybe.

3 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

True, but my point was he may have had more championships. He had 3 and Hamilton is on 5 and counting.

Schumacher is the GOAT, but I'll be surprised if Lewis doesn't pass him. Lewis will likely be at 6 this year. 

Yeah Schumi is definitely the target I think Lewis is aiming at and as you say he's pretty much wrapped it up already this year I think. Especially as he's having one of those seasons kind of like what Mansell  had in 1992 when he won the championship where he was just unstoppable.

He reminds me a bit of Valentino Rossi when he was in his prime. Hopefully Lewis doesn't screw it up by going to a lesser team. That's the only thing that could stop him.

Well, unless McLaren and Red Bull suddenly have competitive cars throughout the season. Lando could give him a run. I love Verstappen, but he's too inconsistent. At least, right now he is. Should be pretty exciting in the coming years!

5 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

He reminds me a bit of Valentino Rossi when he was in his prime. Hopefully Lewis doesn't screw it up by going to a lesser team. That's the only thing that could stop him.

Well, unless McLaren and Red Bull suddenly have competitive cars throughout the season. Lando could give him a run. I love Verstappen, but he's too inconsistent. At least, right now he is. Should be pretty exciting in the coming years!

Yeah I think Verstappen has potential and he definitely has the speed but he's just too  aggressive and impulsive atm. For me it's that that's letting him down and it's stopping him from reaching the potential that he has. If he can learn to control that aggression an donly use it when there is more of an opening instead of forcing a way through like a bully he'll definitely get a shot at being a champ in F1 but he needs to control it more and look at his rivals Lewis and Seb and what they did to become champions because neither Lewis or Seb are dirty drivers fighters yes but not dirty like I'll run you off the road aggression. Lewis and Seb are pretty clean in their moves for the most part even if Vettel does sometimes lose it now and then emotionally.

• Agree 1

On 7/17/2019 at 6:28 PM, Voznik said:

You don't really know what you are talking about son.

If you're the kind of person who says "son" unironically then you're also the kind of person who unironically still doesn't rate Hamilton more highly. No surprises there. Old age destroys everyone's minds.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

In terms of the number of championship, yeah, Hamilton will probably surpass Schumacher because no team in history has been more dominant and straight up more rich than Mercedes. The money and personnel they invest into F1 exceeds any other team, and they have the power of PR and the British media (with plenty of help from the largely casual and highly nationalistic British F1 fans) to help them with that. Had they not been allowed to get away with their free tyre test in 2013 things might have been different for a few years, but as it stands Hamilton is probably going to win every championship until he retires because both he and especially Mercedes can be relied on to not put a foot wrong all season, much like Senna in 1990 with his far superior McLaren.

He's exactly like Marquez in MotoGP - easily top 2 material on the grid and top 5 of all time, but massively aided by utterly unbeatable machinery and being in the right place at the right time, unlike Schumacher who dragged Ferrari by the scruff of its neck to the top of the sport. With fairer tyres, Mercedes would've had no problems in 2017 and 2018 (and they wouldn't have been outpaced in Bahrain and Austria) as the Mercedes being hurt by the tyres those seasons the same way Ferrari is hurt this year is the only way Vettel was ever able to mount a challenge. I can't even blame Vettel for making his countless mistakes when Ferrari have been so utterly incompetent they've all but slipped back into 2016 territory and let Red Bull straight up develop a better car - if you're not first you're last, and at some point you have to push yourself into crash territory if you are to have any chance of putting up a fight against the Mercs.

So far, what Hamilton lacks is Schumacher's unbelievable prowess in seasons where he had little to no right to win, like 1994 (Interlagos being the decisive factor for him surpassing Senna), 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2006. He's never won in decisively inferior machinery against someone who is actually on his level, and even if in many ways he can't be faulted for that as he was extremely fast from the get-go and it's Ferrari and Red Bull's responsibility to provide his direct competitors good cars and good strategies, it's one of the two major factors that certainly do stop him from having any shot at being the GOAT. He has the talent, he absolutely does - many drivers in history were more talented than Schumacher. The problem is that Schumacher more than made up for it by 1. innovating the sport in a way that only Verstappen is even remotely doing right now (through using his top tier iRacing experience to quite literally change the rulebook to his advantage, hence Silverstone 2019), and especially 2. being a tried and true team leader and hard worker in a way that only Vettel is right now.

Edited by Coffer

This Bromance with Hamilton is disgusting, it has to be said,

• Haha 2

From my point of view, Hamilton is a great driver. At the moment he can only be stopped by his team mate or a car failure. If he ever win (an i think he will) seven or more championships he will be one of the greatest drivers. If you like him or not, but he is damn fast.

Nevertheless i would count Schumachers championships a bit more. Yes, im from Germany, but thats not the reason. :classic_happy: The time Schumacher went to Ferrari, they were a lousy team. Lots of failures in strategy, car development.... The first year every race i thought, ok let's see how far he will come. Maybe he will see the starting lights. :classic_happy:

But the biggest reason for me is, back in the 90's it was way difficult to drive the cars. Good results depends way more on driver skills than today. Thats my meaning. Look at rainy races today. Most or all drivers can hold their speed in the rain and run around the course. In the 90's if it started to rain, you could clearly see who was a good driver, an average driver or a bad driver (remember Katayama spinning in the rain multiple times).

8 hours ago, Coffer said:

In terms of the number of championship, yeah, Hamilton will probably surpass Schumacher because no team in history has been more dominant and straight up more rich than Mercedes. The money and personnel they invest into F1 exceeds any other team, and they have the power of PR and the British media (with plenty of help from the largely casual and highly nationalistic British F1 fans) to help them with that. Had they not been allowed to get away with their free tyre test in 2013 things might have been different for a few years, but as it stands Hamilton is probably going to win every championship until he retires because both he and especially Mercedes can be relied on to not put a foot wrong all season, much like Senna in 1990 with his far superior McLaren.

He's exactly like Marquez in MotoGP - easily top 2 material on the grid and top 5 of all time, but massively aided by utterly unbeatable machinery and being in the right place at the right time, unlike Schumacher who dragged Ferrari by the scruff of its neck to the top of the sport. With fairer tyres, Mercedes would've had no problems in 2017 and 2018 (and they wouldn't have been outpaced in Bahrain and Austria) as the Mercedes being hurt by the tyres those seasons the same way Ferrari is hurt this year is the only way Vettel was ever able to mount a challenge. I can't even blame Vettel for making his countless mistakes when Ferrari have been so utterly incompetent they've all but slipped back into 2016 territory and let Red Bull straight up develop a better car - if you're not first you're last, and at some point you have to push yourself into crash territory if you are to have any chance of putting up a fight against the Mercs.

So far, what Hamilton lacks is Schumacher's unbelievable prowess in seasons where he had little to no right to win, like 1994 (Interlagos being the decisive factor for him surpassing Senna), 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2006. He's never won in decisively inferior machinery against someone who is actually on his level, and even if in many ways he can't be faulted for that as he was extremely fast from the get-go and it's Ferrari and Red Bull's responsibility to provide his direct competitors good cars and good strategies, it's one of the two major factors that certainly do stop him from having any shot at being the GOAT. He has the talent, he absolutely does - many drivers in history were more talented than Schumacher. The problem is that Schumacher more than made up for it by 1. innovating the sport in a way that only Verstappen is even remotely doing right now (through using his top tier iRacing experience to quite literally change the rulebook to his advantage, hence Silverstone 2019), and especially 2. being a tried and true team leader and hard worker in a way that only Vettel is right now.

Great insights. A lot of champs need Stars to line up for longevity and that is true in any sport. What I didnt like about Schumacher was the periodic team order **** of having his teammates over the years, who would be leading races here and there, to "take one for the team" and let him pass. I understand that is F1, but that's always a let down.

Maybe a few thousand years from now they will have a time machine series and put all the greats together.lol

55 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

But the biggest reason for me is, back in the 90's it was way difficult to drive the cars. Good results depends way more on driver skills than today. Thats my meaning. Look at rainy races today. Most or all drivers can hold their speed in the rain and run around the course. In the 90's if it started to rain, you could clearly see who was a good driver, an average driver or a bad driver (remember Katayama spinning in the rain multiple times).

True. In fairness, people said the exact same things in the 2000s. Each previous decade's cars were more difficult than the next. The cars now are relatively easier to drive, but they also pull a hell of a lot more Gs.

The only real open wheel I've tracked was a Formula Mazda and even that little thing had me pretty beat up after 50 or so laps in a day. All the F1 drivers at any era have my respect. They're all good. Very few are phenomenal. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, BluntRS said:

This Bromance with Hamilton is disgusting, it has to be said,

Haterade lol. Like him or not, he is a beast behind the wheel, although he is certainly polarizing. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DaleRossi said:

Haterade lol. Like him or not, he is a beast behind the wheel, although he is certainly polarizing. 

Put 20 spec cars on the grid, Lewi would struggle to make Q3 :classic_wink:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BluntRS said:

Put 20 spec cars on the grid, Lewi would struggle to make Q3 

giphy3.gif

• Haha 1

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't handle Monaco. I was really beginning to get a complex about it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Coffer said:

If you're the kind of person who says "son" unironically then you're also the kind of person who unironically still doesn't rate Hamilton more highly. No surprises there. Old age destroys everyone's minds.

Funny, reading your (long) comment, I actually agree with you on the comparison between Hamilton and Michael. 

I just think that Senna was respect and admired by his colleagues in a way Hamilton will never be, just because (like you said), many on the grid think that driving a silver arrow, they would easily win too. 

That's all, son (just kidding!)

He has a great car and he would likely agree with that, too. However, he has had teammates with the same car. Hamilton won in every series he was in. Hell, Louda ensured he had the best car, too. 

I wonder if Rossi regrets leaving Honda and going to Yamaha? It's the same in all sports and there is no way Brady would go to the Bengals or Dolphins.  lol  Put Lewis in Max's car and there would be very similar results.

I think Lewis is the best driver on the grid right now, and would beat any team mate in any car. He has a natural born talent for this and can extract 15% more than most other drivers apart from Alonso. I think Norris has that gift and in time with experience he will also be up there as is the same with Verstappen. Some people are born for this and some work for this, Hamilton was born to be a racing driver, Bottas for example works hard to be a racing driver.

I agree that whole "put Hamilton in a Renault" and he wont win a race - but that's a silly concept, that's like saying give Fleetwood town a new stadium and they will be champions of Europe.

I do think there will be a time when Hamilton will stop racing or not be with us anymore and we will look back posthumously and think jeez we did not give him the respect he deserves for his talent.

On 7/19/2019 at 6:42 PM, DaleRossi said:

He has a great car and he would likely agree with that, too. However, he has had teammates with the same car. Hamilton won in every series he was in. Hell, Louda ensured he had the best car, too. 

I wonder if Rossi regrets leaving Honda and going to Yamaha? It's the same in all sports and there is no way Brady would go to the Bengals or Dolphins.  lol  Put Lewis in Max's car and there would be very similar results.

Remind me who won in 2016,

Which driver would of been sacked in 2016, if it wasnt for the above driver leaving,

Put Alonso in Bottas seat, Lewie would urinate his suit.

19 hours ago, BluntRS said:

Remind me who won in 2016,

Which driver would of been sacked in 2016, if it wasnt for the above driver leaving,

Put Alonso in Bottas seat, Lewie would urinate his suit.

lol The same Alonso that in 08 only won 2 races and one was due to his teammate intentionally causing a wreck to bring out the safety car? 

It's been a while, but I recall Lewis winning the championship that year, too. 

Lewis is in a fast car because he is and has been the fastest driver by a pretty wide margin.  

I love Alonso and the fact that he is a throwback. He reminds me more of Andretti, who may be the actual GOAT driver. LeMans, Indy, F1 etc.

10 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

lol The same Alonso that in 08 only won 2 races and one was due to his teammate intentionally causing a wreck to bring out the safety car? 

It's been a while, but I recall Lewis winning the championship that year, too. 

Lewis is in a fast car because he is and has been the fastest driver by a pretty wide margin.  

I love Alonso and the fact that he is a throwback. He reminds me more of Andretti, who may be the actual GOAT driver. LeMans, Indy, F1 etc.

Nico Rosberg was the answer 😁

Taking nothing away from Lewis, but lets get real, that Merc is untouchable in a lot of current F1 drivers hands, 2021 fingers crossed things will change, but as fans yes its great to see our fav driver win, ultimately we want great racing, which at the moment with the leader lapping up to P6 or more, is not racing.

I use to be a fan, but 2016 just went off him. which I think after his actions, I think a lot of others did.

• Agree 1

He admittedly "strongly disliked" losing to Nico. You're talking about one year of the past 12 or so, though. lol  Lewis is an Alien. He's not my favorite driver, but the guy is incredible.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BluntRS said:

Nico Rosberg was the answer 😁

Taking nothing away from Lewis, but lets get real, that Merc is untouchable in a lot of current F1 drivers hands, 2021 fingers crossed things will change, but as fans yes its great to see our fav driver win, ultimately we want great racing, which at the moment with the leader lapping up to P6 or more, is not racing.

I use to be a fan, but 2016 just went off him. which I think after his actions, I think a lot of others did.

Very true Nico did win in 2016 - however he was also so distressed and emotionally/physically spent from the lengths he had to go to to beat Hamilton he retired the before the next season. Hamilton is not infallible and he is not unbeatable - he is however by far at the moment the fastest and most accomplished guy on the grid, I can't see how people can argue with that? whether you like him or not sometimes you have to just stand back and applaud not only Mercedes but Lewis also.  I'd love Alonso to take Bottas seat next year, I think it'll be Ocon though.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, mRfLoZe said:

Very true Nico did win in 2016 - however he was also so distressed and emotionally/physically spent from the lengths he had to go to to beat Hamilton he retired the before the next season. Hamilton is not infallible and he is not unbeatable - he is however by far at the moment the fastest and most accomplished guy on the grid, I can't see how people can argue with that? whether you like him or not sometimes you have to just stand back and applaud not only Mercedes but Lewis also.  I'd love Alonso to take Bottas seat next year, I think it'll be Ocon though.

I have the feeling that Russell has jumped Ocon in the pecking order. Wolff has already openly discussed the possibility of releasing Ocon from his Mercedes deal in order to allow him to pursue other opportunities. I still think he'll take Hülkenberg's seat for next year, though I think he'd be a great fit as a lead driver for Haas.