REQ: Save AI difficulty per track

Posted (edited)

The AI difficulty per track. It must be one of the most daunting tasks a race game developer has to do because after 10 years the player still has to alter the difficulty between tracks and sessions. 

Please make us save the difficulty per track so when the next season starts we don't have to fiddle around anymore with the difficulty slider. Ideally there should be one AI difficulty slider in general and a separate slider per track to increase or decrease the difficulty of AI on track so when you improve overall and increase the general slider the difficulty on the different tracks goes up as well but without having to adjust the sometime steep difficulty difference between some tracks

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

I save a spreadsheet with the value for each track. Not ideal to have to do as the AI is unbalanced as **** (Suzuka seems a LOL this year), but far from a life-changing inconvenience. I've been doing it since 2017.

Edited by Ho3n3r

To save the AI difficulty is a workaround. Normally Codemasters should match all AI times per track in relation to real life. This can't be so hard.

Nevertheless your proposal would be the easier choice.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Ho3n3r said:

I save a spreadsheet with the value for each track. Not ideal to have to do as the AI is unbalanced as **** (Suzuka seems a LOL this year), but far from a life-changing inconvenience. I've been doing it since 2017.

Can you share the spreadsheet? It's very funny you mention Suzuka because I haven't been playing F1 a few days now because I can't figure out how much the difficulty difference is. It's also the reason why I'm posting this. I don't wanna restart the practice programs over and over again season after season.

Edited by BelgiumDude

Just save your difficulty level in the setup name for every track. 

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

To save the AI difficulty is a workaround. Normally Codemasters should match all AI times per track in relation to real life. This can't be so hard.

Nevertheless your proposal would be the easier choice.

Well it was clear since 2012 that this was never gonna be fixed. I used to remember it for each track, but from 2017 it's just been easier to have it documented.

This year I'm anywhere between 102 and 106, with 104 as my most used 'standard'. Every point of increase seems to be worth around 2 tenths or so at that level. Given that Codemasters can't take into account each players' personal skill level and/or their ability to properly setup the car, I don't think that's too bad really. Just deal with it and save as the setup name. 

Or would you rather they go back to about 5 general difficulty settings like before?

28 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

Can you share the spreadsheet? It's very funny you mention Suzuka because I haven't been playing F1 a few days now because I can't figure out how much the difficulty difference is. It's also the reason why I'm posting this. I don't wanna restart the practice programs over and over again season after season.

Not sure what you'd gain from having mine specifically, it's literally the country name in one column and the AI difficulty in the other.

Regarding Suzuka, I believe Tom97 had to go from 108 to 103 and he was still way off the pace. And he is not one who struggles with Suzuka normally.

True, I only need the discrepancy between tracks. I'm just too lazy and not as organized as keeping spreadsheets for racing  games :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

If any of you have done the first season in career mode can you tell me which tracks are the worst offenders?

I am only 3 races into my career.

Also, are there any tracks where the AI is too soft?

5 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

True, I only need the discrepancy between tracks. I'm just too lazy and not as organized as keeping spreadsheets for racing  games :classic_laugh:

Most tracks seem to be within a window of either going down 1 point or up 1 point , which I guess is within the margin of error... the only tracks where I had to go down 2 points are Baku and Suzuka, with the only track where I had to increase by 2 is Silverstone. Note that I haven't done the last 4 GPs yet, so no clue for MEX,USA,BRA,UAE at this moment.

20 minutes ago, Andrew210227 said:

Or would you rather they go back to about 5 general difficulty settings like before?

How is adding even more flexibility the same as only 5 choices? :classic_dry:

16 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

Ah, makes sense. I am only up to Baku now. First 3 were 103, Baku is 101.

Posted (edited)

This may help for the discrepancy. Note that I have Australia on 104.

EDFAAE0C-B063-4F18-A3FD-9A77659738E3.jpeg

83379F25-DDB9-4194-AC80-FA801B4D2209.jpeg

Edited by Andrew210227
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I find this year's AI better balanced between tracks. The only exception for me is Silverstone which seems to be this year's Austria. I hope they will fix the wet well with coming updates. I don't like to touch the AI in general...

I agree about Suzuka. It's a bit hard but I hate the feedback too. Inside kerbs in sector 1 are too punishing and it's the track that shows the limits of current handling based on preseason...

I haven't tested the AI with default setup yet...

Edited by sirio994

I've found the AI difficulty to be all over the place and it's getting really annoying.  Puts me right off playing as it's a **** shoot as to what the race is going to be like.

I wouldn't mind ai being better at some tracks than others if it was different from team to team. For instance Mercedes dominating most tracks this year but having major issues at Bahrain and Austria. That would be way more realistic and exciting instead of being exactly the same positions every race. 

As a player who still struggles at 70 AI (no assists) I always find this topic a little confusing.

If person A thinks that AI are OP on track X and under powered on track Y, does this not just mean that this person is better at track Y than they are at track X?

I’ll release a guide soon since I’m in season 4 but:

lowering Ai qual difficulty by 2 on most tracks balances things.

tracks like Canada, Austria, Italy etc you need to raise Ai by 3-4.

tracks like Suzuka, Baku, Hun you need to lower Ai 3-4.

I’ll release my full guide soon. I got the balance nailed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Metzgerov said:

I’ll release a guide soon since I’m in season 4 but:

lowering Ai qual difficulty by 2 on most tracks balances things.

tracks like Canada, Austria, Italy etc you need to raise Ai by 3-4.

tracks like Suzuka, Baku, Hun you need to lower Ai 3-4.

I’ll release my full guide soon. I got the balance nailed.

Please post a link in this topic so I don't miss it

11 hours ago, CarloLewis said:

As a player who still struggles at 70 AI (no assists) I always find this topic a little confusing.

If person A thinks that AI are OP on track X and under powered on track Y, does this not just mean that this person is better at track Y than they are at track X?

They are OP for everyone at the same tracks, though, and weak at the same tracks as well.

I.e. in 2018 everybody had to up the AI at Canada by a significant amount as they were very weak there. And at Bahrain, it had to be lowered a bit as well, if you watch Youtube career modes, you'll see this pattern.

Of course, this is just an example since both these tracks are much better balanced this year. But Suzuka is one everybody is struggling with, due to the insane exit the AI gets out of the last corner mainly. The fake bump throws off a human car so you have to lift slightly whilst the AI just power out of there like they have TC on.

• Agree 1