Sign in to follow this  

Rev lights don’t appear to match engine note.

Posted (edited)

I have noticed that in the 2019 Mercedes the rev lights seem to be telling you to shift prior to the engine note sounding ready. Same with the McLaren.

I have watched a few onboard Merc laps from this season and to be honest codies your implementation of the rev lights v engine sound is a dogs breakfast.

The Ferrari however seems spot on.

Anybody else noticed this.

Edited by JamesAberdeen73

There is a thread about this issue and about the issue of overall engine note sound being less aggressive and harder to tell when its time to change

It helps a lot to turn on the audible beep in the audio settings. Never occurred to me until I saw Lando Norris using it.

Some cars likely have different power bands. Some need to be overrevved and some do not. I could be wrong though, but it is like that with GT3 and GTE cars.

1 hour ago, DaleRossi said:

It helps a lot to turn on the audible beep in the audio settings. Never occurred to me until I saw Lando Norris using it.

Some cars likely have different power bands. Some need to be overrevved and some do not. I could be wrong though, but it is like that with GT3 and GTE cars.

It's a sad day indeed when a pro racing driver can no longer rely on the engine note to judge gear shifts. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

It's a sad day indeed when a pro racing driver can no longer rely on the engine note to judge gear shifts. 

All drivers have been using it for years, and before that it was purely based on the rev lights - since early 90's at least. So there have been many "sad days" for you already then.

Besides, every RPM they go above of that which they really need, is wear on the engine, of course this (beeps) is a more reliable thing to do than just hoping your driver's ears are calibrated.

Edited by Ho3n3r

23 minutes ago, Ho3n3r said:

All drivers have been using it for years, and before that it was purely based on the rev lights - since early 90's at least. So there have been many "sad days" for you already then.

Besides, every RPM they go above of that which they really need, is wear on the engine, of course this (beeps) is a more reliable thing to do than just hoping your driver's ears are calibrated.

OK well if that's indeed the case explain to me why we don't have auto gear shifts then? If the driver only shifts when the light or beep tells him to and it's allowed then it's the same as having an auto shift as regards a driver aid. I know these lights exist they are on some old cars for sure I just thought it was more a reminder not to over Rev the engine rather than a SHIFT NOW command light. BTW don't tell me when I can be sad or not that's a personal choice lol. Yes I am definitely sad if drivers have to rely on a visual or aural aid to know when to shift. So much for being one with your vehicle! 

Posted (edited)

It is merely just a "suggestion" as to when to shift, IMO. Sometimes you want go stay in that gear and rev it out a bit. Other times, you may need go short shift. Manual control of those things definitely help.

Shift points on various cars, especially when you start mixing in other series with unlimited engine formats, varies so much. Some like being taken deep into the redline since they have no low end torque. Others like to be shifted 500rpm before redline.  I assume the same may be happening here, but I don't know.

Lando probably has it on for realism.

Edited by DaleRossi

The shift light, or audio beep, is set at the optimum shift point.
It's up to the driver to decide when he/she wants to shift gear.

As for the out of sync shift/engine note thing... f1 cars don't even get close to their rev limits as is, and I don't believe that it's the revs that are the problem.
I believe the gears are using the wrong ratio, making it seem like the engine is out of sync.

1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

OK well if that's indeed the case explain to me why we don't have auto gear shifts then? If the driver only shifts when the light or beep tells him to and it's allowed then it's the same as having an auto shift as regards a driver aid. I know these lights exist they are on some old cars for sure I just thought it was more a reminder not to over Rev the engine rather than a SHIFT NOW command light. BTW don't tell me when I can be sad or not that's a personal choice lol. Yes I am definitely sad if drivers have to rely on a visual or aural aid to know when to shift. So much for being one with your vehicle! 

I have to regrettably inform you that this is neither within my jurisdiction nor under my control to say.

1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

BTW don't tell me when I can be sad or not that's a personal choice lol.

1. I can.

2. You said it yourself, not me.

Posted (edited)

Please use this thread guys:

And for these who doesn’t see a problem there, you probably have no knowledge how the real Onboard and shifts sounds like.

Edited by Jaketa

55 minutes ago, Bankai3987 said:

The shift light, or audio beep, is set at the optimum shift point.
It's up to the driver to decide when he/she wants to shift gear.

As for the out of sync shift/engine note thing... f1 cars don't even get close to their rev limits as is, and I don't believe that it's the revs that are the problem.
I believe the gears are using the wrong ratio, making it seem like the engine is out of sync.

I think it’s more the pitch of the recordings it self , one easy way for CM is too alter the pitch of the engine note.