Sign in to follow this  

Call of Duty. Is it Dead ?

I'm not ashamed to admit I've been a bit of a fan of Call of Duty over the years.

Don't play it anywhere near as much as racing games, but I really enjoyed MW, MW2, MW3 and Black Ops. Always bought it cheap as chips on ebay and played the campaign only. The co-op modes on MW2 and MW3 lasted me and my mate ages and were really fun to play together.

Unfortunately Black Ops 2 didn't quite hit the spot for me, and Ghosts I never bought. I got advanced warfare for the XB1, but so far I have been a bit underwhelmed. It feels like to me that all the gritty realism   :) of the first few has gone with all these sci fi weapons trying to jazz the thing up and make it better for people with short attention spans.#

So what's the view on here, is it dead ? And what could be done to make it not dead ?

It died a long time ago imo.

They keep trying to add more crap in terms of perks and killstreaks that take away from the game. If they would release an HD remake of MW2 and CoD4 with all the maps and fix all the issues with it then I know me and lots of my friends would pick it up.

While there's still 12-16 year old guys out there there'll be a new mindless CoD game every year. With new features like bullets that shout insults as they leave the barrel, and the revolutionary new grenade up the butt melee kill, the next Call of Duty game will be genre-changing and more powerful than the last game that come out the year before thatwasalmostcompletelyidenticalexceptforthesetinynewlittlefeaturesthatmakeabsolutelynodifferenceandarejustguffdesignedtosellmorecopiestotheidioticwhodon'trealisethateverCallofDutyisthesame!

Platy said:
It died a long time ago imo.

They keep trying to add more crap in terms of perks and killstreaks that take away from the game. If they would release an HD remake of MW2 and CoD4 with all the maps and fix all the issues with it then I know me and lots of my friends would pick it up.
I don't play the multiplayer stuff, but I agree there is lots of stuff you can do with the level design. Clever level design beats silly perks any day of the week, Some of the co-op stuff I played with my mate on MW2 and MW3 was really well thought out, you really need to think about working as a team to make things happen. I haven't tried the GTA V heists, but my guess is that these are the same. 

I wouldn't say dead as I know my brother loves playing the game but I'd like to see some better single player stories and maybe some RPG elements to make the player think a bit or something just to expand the sp experience a bit. I do think the Advanced Warfare game was pretty good but I don't jump on the game every year though as I know it is very repetitive.

Technically it isn't even close to dead. But for me, it is almost dead. I've not played AW since the first 2 weeks of release, and unless the next Treyarch game is mindblowing, that'll be it for me. And I was a huge fan during BO2, so that's how far it's fallen. 

It is not even that AW is that bad, because it really isn't that bad. I'm just a bit sick of the franchise now.

Too many of the Call of Duty games have been little more than re-skinned mods of previous games in the series. Literally. It's mostly been the same core engine for many years/sequels, and they just keep rearranging textures & environments while scripting in a few new variables (perk effects, icons, audio clips, map layouts, cut-scenes, etc.)... Every sequel since CoD 4 could have almost been just DLC & patch updates to the first Modern Warfare title, instead of "full" stand-alone releases. Activision has ridden that tired horse into the dirt, and they keep propping it back up, dusting it off, & riding it (& monetizing it) some more - but people keep buying it while complaining about how bad it keeps stinking.

Every year & sequel, it might be a relatively fun "new" game for those who haven't played any (or many) previous Call of Duty games, but it's usually just a poorly-thought-out re-run for those who have been playing CoD games for years. It's worse than just stale because their attempts to "innovate" in each sequel often result in poorly-balanced game-play that goes against the foundational mechanics that made CoD famous.

...Not to mention, they keep mucking up the netcode more & more in CoD multiplayer. Every sequel produces even more "WTFBBQ?!" BS deaths online than the last game (you shoot an enemy in the back first but then they somehow turn around & kill you instead, or you get shot around corners & through walls, etc.). There's nothing "competitive" about it anymore: every enemy encounter is just a flip-of-the-coin, and no amount of planning & good tactics can affect the luck-of-the-lag (a phenomenon that those who are somehow often on the advantageous side of the lag viciously deny because they like to believe they are "MLG-caliber" pro players "dominating" noobs on so-called "WalMart connections" ...until those same "pro" wannabes start landing on the wrong side of the lag themselves & rage-quit every match until they randomly land in a lobby where the lag is back in their favor again).

MW3 was the last CoD game I paid full retail price for new - a decision that SledgeHammer & Activision made me (& many others) woefully regret. After that, I figured since Activision wants to keep selling me a badly recycled game, I won't pay more than a recycled price - so I bought Black Ops 2 used/pre-owned well after launch. Blops 2 was the last CoD game I bought & played at all. I haven't touched Ghosts or Advanced Warfare - after reading some reviews & watching some YouTube videos, they just don't look like good CoD games to me.

I think they should go back to the beginning and make another WW2 shooter, been years since we've had one on consoles. Had enough of modern/future warfare.

Lukedfrt said:
I think they should go back to the beginning and make another WW2 shooter, been years since we've had one on consoles. Had enough of modern/future warfare.
Or re make the old Medal of honor games.

Yep. Hit the nail on the head there. Didn't buy the last two games and Blops 2 was more miss than hit for me. The game needs to feel...tangible.

I thought Black Ops 2 was the last great CoD game. If I had to rate them all out of 10 I'd probably go. Metacritic score for Xbox 360 (XONE for Ghosts and AW) is on the right of mine.
CoD4: 9/10 [Metacritic: 94] 
WaW: 8.3/10 [Metacritic: 84]
MW2: 9.2/10 [Metacritic: 94]
BO: 8/10  [Metacritic: 87]
MW3: 5.5/10 [Metacritic: 88]
BO2: 8.8/10 [Metacritic: 83]
Ghosts: 6.5/10 [Metacritic: 78]
AW: 7.2/10 [Metacritic: 81]

The trend here, excluding BO2 in my opinion, is pretty much spiraling downwards.  According to Metacritic, its pretty much been going down since MW2. Honestly I do not know how MW3 got an 88, maybe for the story? Because the story was good, but MP was awful. If it was MP only I'd happily give it a 2 or 3. 

I think a new setting in WW2 that is gritty and realistic with gore would be awesome. I'd really be hoping for a British Empire campaign (Obviously with another side too).  This time though, maybe in North Africa again with Montgomery against Rommel. That would be really cool.

I also think it would be really interesting to play as one of the Axis nations. Maybe we could play a German soldier and we could follow him all the way from Stalingrad to Berlin? Just a thought. Or a Japanese one during the Malaya campaign onwards.

The last cod game I actually enjoyed was back on the PS2 and PC. Loved the Ww2 games they did. The games from the Ps3 onwards just felt a bit stale and crap

Have to agree with most of the comments on here.

Been continuing to play the single player campaign. Got to the bit last night where you have to creep around the building. Kind of reminded me a bit of the Last of Us when you are sneaking around trying to avoid the zombies. But for some reason the whole thing felt a bit stale and nowhere near as exciting, which is a bit strange because normally I like the stealth fps games.

The hover bikes as well felt quite boring. Nowhere near as much fun as the snowmobiles felt on MW2. 

Advanced Warfare isn't a bad game. It's just to me that it's got nothing new, and playing the campaign just feels like ticking boxes. The strange thing is I would have thought with all the cash they splurge on developing this sort of stuff they would have been able to come up with something a bit more novel.

I can't say whether the multi player is dead, but it feels like the campaign pretty much is.