Sign in to follow this  

Broken penalty system ... how can WE fix this ???

I'm fed up with the penalty system and I'm sure my fellow players (the one who are racing hard but fair) are too. LET'S DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

I'm constantly getting penalised for opponents crashing into me.

- opponent pushing me off, and I mean pushing by t-boning and keeping full throttle on until I hit the wall sideways tenth of meters away from the track - NO PENALTY for opponent

- using me as their brakes in the corner not even trying to not hit me - NO PENALTY for opponent

- slowing down on the straight to wait until I'm almost side by side and then side-sweep me into the wall or off track - NO PENALTY for opponent even better I get the penalty 

- opponent pushing past off track - NO PENALTY not even a slow down and when the opponent touches me I get the penalty 

- opponent can cut corners, race off track, spin AI cars around - NO PENALTY - no slow down on what for me is super glue and I'm getting punished by AI cars suddenly pointing my way at 300 Km/h

FELLOW RACERS ... what is your experience?

@ChrisGrovesMCM ... what's in the pipeline to address this?

A couple of ideas (some of them were taken form the 2016 game):

1. introduce flags 

2. introduce damages to cars

3. disqualify drivers ... could be immediately or one warning and a time penalty and disqualification the second time (at the moment you can go faster around Monaco for example by cutting the chicane and taking the penalty than driving correctly)

Posted (edited)

Adopt F1 rules. Collision from the back, or colliding with car in front - 5 sec penalty added to lap time. Corner cut - ONLY if lap time benefits - 5 sec penalty. stop penalising for accidentally going off track and losing time anyway. Use rules based on Stewards inquiries and  develop some coding to work out who is the aggressor. if unclear - racing incident no penalty.  deliberate multiple colliisions from opponent - disqualification 

Stop the engine cut out which disrupts the flow, and just add time to the lap.

presumably  codemasters have all of these algorithms for their flagship f1 game anyway?

Edited by iainc
  • Agree 1

I absolutely agree!

It is extremely frustrating to run a great qualifying lap and take pole and then get punted off the track in turn one, end up in the back of the field and then either get a warning for a collision which could not possibly be my fault, or get a 2 second penalty if I get spun around and then hit by another car while facing the wrong way. 

And then I lose 50% on my super license because of people running into me!

Sometimes I outbrake myself and run into someone, I should be penalized for that, it's my fault. But I should not be penalized when someone does that to me.

But the absolute worst is when I pull out of the slip stream and am on a good run down the straight and jerk wad decides to side swipe me into a wall, and I get the penalty. I check the race director at the end of the race and they don't even get a warning. 

Now I am no master of coding (play on words only slightly intended) but I do know a little about it. And what I know is that they can code the system so it recognizes information such as changes in acceleration suddenly, or position of a vehicle, late braking, not releasing the accelerator etc... It is possible to code in a system that recognizes who is at fault at least 90% of the time. But the current system doesn't even try.

Likewise, with corner cutting. Seriously guys, if it's wet out and I brake a little late in a real life race and end up sliding off track but manage to recover without gaining any advantage, I don't get a penalty from the stewards, so why does your game not account for such instances? I know corner cutting and track limits are discussed elsewhere so I'll bring it up there, but please, Codemasters, please address your penalty system. It is beyond unfair the way it currently works. It is very discouraging. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, iainc said:

Adopt F1 rules. Collision from the back, or colliding with car in front - 5 sec penalty added to lap time. Corner cut - ONLY if lap time benefits - 5 sec penalty. stop penalising for accidentally going off track and losing time anyway. Use rules based on Stewards inquiries and  develop some coding to work out who is the aggressor. if unclear - racing incident no penalty.  deliberate multiple colliisions from opponent - disqualification 

Stop the engine cut out which disrupts the flow, and just add time to the lap.

presumably  codemasters have all of these algorithms for their flagship f1 game anyway?

the engine cut is also unfair because getting an engine cut before a hairpin - not so bad ... getting an engine cut at the start of the straight in Baku - will cost you a lot more as you will never reach the top speed and will always lacking behind ... cutting the chicane at Monaco - gains you a few seconds

This issue has been rehashed to death. Nothing changes. They've admitted themselves that they don't completely understand how to properly fix it so it's pointless to keep discussing this. It's clear that this is as good as this game is going to be.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, xdakota80x said:

This issue has been rehashed to death. Nothing changes. They've admitted themselves that they don't completely understand how to properly fix it so it's pointless to keep discussing this. It's clear that this is as good as this game is going to be.

it might have been discussed a lot but accepting mediocrity is the opposite of the spirit of F1 any team boss saying this won't be a team boss much longer. 

Remember this is the official F1 mobile game and the only thing we should accept is the best. 

@ChrisGrovesMCM,

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, akajk88 said:

it might have been discussed a lot but accepting mediocrity is the opposite of the spirit of F1 any team boss saying this won't be a team boss much longer. 

Remember this is the official F1 mobile game and the only thing we should accept is the best. 

@ChrisGrovesMCM,

Codemasters has all of zero interest in making this game any better. Given their effort with F1 2016, they have demonstrated they know how to make this game better, but just don’t care to because mobile players are second class citizens and not worth the effort. It helps (them) that there are droves of people paying real money for this hot garbage so why would they bother? I wouldn’t either if I were devoid of integrity and responsibility. My thinking is the F1 gods at F1/FOM don’t read our comments so they’re clueless to how terribly Codemasters is intentionally muddying their $8B brand. I hope either Codemasters is focusing efforts on a proper F1 2020 game or another publisher rises up to give us what we deserve: the best F1 experience.

Edited by Fierce

For the first time in a while I played a few grid start duels and the issue of the penalty system was on my mind. I tried to race as safely as possible and still I was hit with penalties and I now see the problem. It is the behaviour of the AI cars. They don't behave like real race cars. They are totally irrational and if they were in a real F1 race they would all be black flagged. This is why "we"....the real drivers don't stand a chance. Because we're against cars that take hairpins three abreast. Cars that cut inside you without braking as you reach the apex of a corner at a responsible speed. Cars that box you in and leave you with no options to go anywhere and again it is you that is penalised. Have any of the developers watched an actual race? If so they'd know that after the first corner cars fall into a single line. Why doesn't that happen here? If a race consisted of overtaking single cars one at a time and using real world tactics like late braking or slipstreaming or the DRS zones we could eliminate the penalty system for all but the most blatant cheating. But as others have pointed out, we have F1 cars racing NASCAR style.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

For the first time in a while I played a few grid start duels and the issue of the penalty system was on my mind. I tried to race as safely as possible and still I was hit with penalties and I now see the problem. It is the behaviour of the AI cars. They don't behave like real race cars. They are totally irrational and if they were in a real F1 race they would all be black flagged. This is why "we"....the real drivers don't stand a chance. Because we're against cars that take hairpins three abreast. Cars that cut inside you without braking as you reach the apex of a corner at a responsible speed. Cars that box you in and leave you with no options to go anywhere and again it is you that is penalised. Have any of the developers watched an actual race? If so they'd know that after the first corner cars fall into a single line. Why doesn't that happen here? If a race consisted of overtaking single cars one at a time and using real world tactics like late braking or slipstreaming or the DRS zones we could eliminate the penalty system for all but the most blatant cheating. But as others have pointed out, we have F1 cars racing NASCAR style.

I think it also says a lot that the goal of each of these races isn't to come in 1st place. That's what racing is. Instead, the goal here is to dodge the AI and opponent as best you can in order to keep your safety rating from falling. And the only reason you want to do that is so you don't fall so low that you're matched up with the people that intentionally ram you. That's honestly the only thing I stress about in these duels. Keeping the damn safety rating intact instead of winning these things.

Edited by xdakota80x
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, xdakota80x said:

I think it also says a lot that the goal of each of these races isn't to come in 1st place. That's what racing is. Instead, the goal here is to dodge the AI and opponent as best you can in order to keep your safety rating from falling. And the only reason you want to do that is so you don't fall so low that you're matched up with the people that intentionally ram you. That's honestly the only thing I stress about in these duels. Keeping the damn safety rating intact instead of winning these things.

Good luck with keeping the safety rating up ... I had the same strategy but in the last few days I get paired with people who's rating is high but their only objective is to make contact... on top of that anytime I get touched by an opponent I get the engine cut (when they rear-end me, crash into my side in the turns not even trying to make the turn, push me off track ... and the list goes on) the only time an opponent got a penalty in one of my races was when they cut a corner ... 

I experience more SR demerits due to bots than anything else.  With my connection, there is too much lag for another player to hit me like the bots do.

Occasionally seeing "bad bots are back mode" with them making contact from the rear, blocking and/or brake checking in unexpected places.  Had a couple of races where they hit me full speed going into the first corner.  

Also have reason to believe some of this is developers/testers with extra powers messing with us.  They have to be out there...

It's just part of the charm of the game kids 🤣

I've never viewed the safety ratings as anything other than arbitrary. When you're in the red it's like trying to dig yourself out of a hole. I was at 0.6 for weeks despite wins and losses. Then suddenly shot up into the green. Next race a simple qualifying which I won, no corner cutting or going off track and it dropped immediately to red again. I can't even comprehend how anybody can hang onto a green rating. Who can race with any regularity and not make any contact or be hit by anyone and win? Maybe those guys at the top of the Ranks for Events whose cars must have every upgrade available. Or they cheat? Nah. That couldn't be it. They are simply 10 seconds a lap faster than me. 20 if it's Spa.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

I've never viewed the safety ratings as anything other than arbitrary. When you're in the red it's like trying to dig yourself out of a hole. I was at 0.6 for weeks despite wins and losses. Then suddenly shot up into the green. Next race a simple qualifying which I won, no corner cutting or going off track and it dropped immediately to red again. I can't even comprehend how anybody can hang onto a green rating. Who can race with any regularity and not make any contact or be hit by anyone and win? Maybe those guys at the top of the Ranks for Events whose cars must have every upgrade available. Or they cheat? Nah. That couldn't be it. They are simply 10 seconds a lap faster than me. 20 if it's Spa.

it actually is better to be paired with higher safety rated players ... although there are still a number of players who's only aim is to take you out, penalise you etc. because they never get any penalties.

I've been working very hard (sacrificing races for rating improvements) but it still is a lottery.

on your theory about the players with much better performance I believe that Codemasters is slowing us down rather than the other players having better performance. I don't know what algorithm they apply but my car performance is much worse in duels compared to singles ... no idea how to set up a car if you can't practice and get comfortable with your setup.