Sign in to follow this  

Power Unit Penalty System

Sorry if this has already been clarified. I did a search, and manually went through the first 20 pages of posts with no luck.

So I have the information from the attachment...official regulations, but it is still unclear to me.

Assume I want a new MGU-K.

In 2018, it was better to just go ahead and order a new one of everything Power Unit.

But reading this, if I’m understanding it...if I do that, I’m going to get a penalty for each and every part AS I use it.

Is this correct?

And if I do just go ahead and put a new everything on, and use it that weekend...will I be penalized the next weekend for any of the other parts?

Am I just better off replacing 1 piece at a time as I need to?

Apologies...I’m really not dense, but to me the wording in this is, well, confusing.

Thanks to any who take the time.

15987BFE-5FE7-490A-AED8-077BD9D1FEB7.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Every additional piece (beyond the 2 or 3 parts that are allowed to switch without penalty) has a penalty attached to it. 10 places for the first extra part of every component and 5 for every additional part after that. Strongly suggest to just order and fit an extra part of everything (incl gearbox!) at one event (tip: do it at a place like Spa or Monza where overtaking is easy) and just start at the back (make sure you dont run in Q2 if you use full qualifying so that you will have free choice of tyres at the start of the race)

Edited by Andrew210227
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew210227 said:

Every piece has a penalty attached to it. 10 places for the first extra part of every component and 5 for every additional part after that. Strongly suggest to just order and fit an extra part of everything (incl gearbox!) at one event and just start at the back (make sure you dont run in Q2 if you use full qualifying so that you will have free choice of tyres at the start of the race)

True. Gives Monaco a purpose finally. Upgraded my entire car last race in Career as I qualified last anyway. Game gave me grid penalty of 63 places I think!! I'm sure there would be additional penalties if you did that in real life as lower order teams who struggle to get to q3 could have new cars every few races and have a real chance of earning points against worn out too teams who try never to get penalties. 

Added note: the part in the official regulation saying you can only use the last fitted extra part without penalty does not apply to the game. If you for instance order a 4th ICE, you can still use 1 2 and 3 without further penalties.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

True. Gives Monaco a purpose finally. Upgraded my entire car last race in Career as I qualified last anyway. Game gave me grid penalty of 63 places I think!! I'm sure there would be additional penalties if you did that in real life as lower order teams who struggle to get to q3 could have new cars every few races and have a real chance of earning points against worn out too teams who try never to get penalties. 

Did you already use all components in the first 5 races then? If not, you’re kind of cheating the game’s system as in real life you cant install a 4th component if you havent used 1 through 3 yet.

Edited by Andrew210227

Awesome.

Thanks so much for the replies, and CLEAR explanation.

Monza it will be.

Race hard.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew210227 said:

Did you already use all components in the first 5 races then? If not, you’re kind of cheating the game’s system as in real life you cant install a 4th component if you havent used 1 through 3 yet.

Well yes I had used them of course.. Not sure what you mean exactly? They were not worn out at all though. So after new parts I could switch around between 2 low wear units constantly. If the game allows it then it's not cheating its just power gaming. I upgraded my reliability all the way and 2nd season would order new practice gearbox every first few races until I had 7. Then would order new parts for the rain races which I always did terrible at. So after Monaco I would have 4 sets of all kinds of parts. I reserved 2 for practice and 2 for q and races. By alternating the sets I always had w and race parts with less than 10% wear for the entire season. 

Hell, I was using McLaren in 2018 you need every bonus you could get! 

6 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Well yes I had used them of course.. Not sure what you mean exactly? They were not worn out at all though. So after new parts I could switch around between 2 low wear units constantly. If the game allows it then it's not cheating its just power gaming. I upgraded my reliability all the way and 2nd season would order new practice gearbox every first few races until I had 7. Then would order new parts for the rain races which I always did terrible at. So after Monaco I would have 4 sets of all kinds of parts. I reserved 2 for practice and 2 for q and races. By alternating the sets I always had w and race parts with less than 10% wear for the entire season. 

Hell, I was using McLaren in 2018 you need every bonus you could get! 

OK. I meant I have seen some people exploit the system by ordering new components before ever installing and using the old ones.

3 hours ago, Andrew210227 said:

OK. I meant I have seen some people exploit the system by ordering new components before ever installing and using the old ones.

Ah.. I guess you could do that every session until you had full storage and would just be giving up one race. Yes I'm glad I didn't think of that before must mean I'm honest lol.