Sign in to follow this  

Is Time Trial Redundant?

Posted (edited)

Hey everybody!

The main use of Time Trial in my view is for bragging rights on the leaderboards but does it make you a better racer, does it translate to race pace? Personally I’m not so sure, I can see it helping in qualifying the most but during a Grand Prix the car feels so vastly different (including managing tyres, ERS, fuel etc) to where I feel Time Trail practice can be redundant, including the setups. I’m fast in Time Trial I can match some of the best online, but is it more beneficial to spend your time practicing under Grand Prix conditions, leaving Time Trial alone? Because after all the race is where it matters. 

5D3AEF94-CE41-4D23-8F4A-5242252A1C18.jpeg

Edited by ObiWanMaHomie
Photo upload of my lap times after a few practice laps at China in Time Trial to test the new update (so people know I’m not full of BS haha)

Trial in your view is for bragging rights,

Your fast in Time Trial I can match some of the best online.

I think your view is absolutely spot on, redundant, id say pointless due to dirty, exploiting, cheats, I put a link in track limits showing a ESports player all 4 wheels of track, however rewarded with DHL fastest lap, minority of true racers on here simply refuse to lower thier standards, so pintless entering.

• Agree 2

I only use time trial for a bit of practice sometimes as a kind of winter test mode where I just do a few laps in a car I plan on racing next in career mode. I don't care too much for bragging rights.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Time trial setups dont seem to work in multiplayer races this year, its beyond stupidy. It should be more accessible to prepare for equal car races.

Edited by PureDriving

In terms of F1 so far this year - Someone on the front row has won 9 out of 10 races. Bahrain was the exception with the third place qualifier winning.

Time Trails are just a benchmark for some @ObiWanMaHomie to see where they stand as in time's. TT's push drivers/players to get the best time. It doesn't push you to be consistent. Consistency is for better than outright speed. I consistent driver/player will always be faster that TT driver/player over the course of a race.   

Time trial is basically practice mode to learn the tracks but nothing else as cars handle so different and crucially there is no tire wear. So you can use ridiculously stupid setups that would destroy your tires in no time in Career or online. Although he's fast anyway without using track exploits I used a TRL limitless hot lap setup in Career once. I could not get out of the red in the tire management session. Was impossible to use. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

From now on I think I’m going to do my own setups and also spend my time practicing against 110% AI. Weirdly I actually agree with every single comment on here, which never happens. I’ve had my question actually answered which is also nice. So thank you to everybody who’s left a comment thus far. 

Edited by ObiWanMaHomie
  • Like 1

I use Time trial to get a base setup for my car and reacquaint myself with a track before FP1 in career mode.  After season one it becomes much less about a base setup (as I have mine from the previous season and the cars are no where near the same as the TT cars anymore) as it is to just get back in the groove of a track, pick general braking points, etc.  This way I can limit the laps needed to be done in practice and reduce wear on my car.  Also then I have less of a chance of smashing up my car in practice and Dnf’ing out of the session.

I just view this like the simulator work the drivers do IRL.  I’ve also suggested a few times that they should have a TT mode inside the career mode accessible from the data center.  Have it so you can only drive your teams car and have it have all the upgrades on it like it will in the actual sessions.  Obviously the times you set wouldn’t count towards the real TT leaderboards or anything.  They could even award R&D points for doing laps on it say 1 per lap, this way it would be more useful to more people.

• Like 1