What can we expect more from the Rallycross side in DR2.0

Posted (edited)

>>> NOTE: These views are mine. Things can be wrong. Maybe my hope is focused more on RX than Rally. <<<

Soon the first two seasons of DLC come to an exciting end with two new Group B RX cars and the Estering RX track. A lot of indications suggest we can expect more DLC. What it will be and in which form (seasons or different) is unknown so far. Probably most of it is already decided, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t interesting to talk and gossip about. In this topic I specifically talk about RX. Although I like rally, my preference goes to RX.

So what are the indications more content will follow?

The biggest indication is the steamdb site about DR2.0 that more locations will come.
A note here, only locations have been specified in this, DLC cars not which are part of a different package. So keep that in mind.

https://steamdb.info/app/690790/depots/
image.png.7cf1bd446b86abd8922409f36bd00d95.png

Also there was an earlier mention that some FB sources (how reliable it is, is unknown) that the Hyundai i20 RX will come. Those sources also mentioned Group B and the Latvian RX track, which have been in S1 and S2.
https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/178-dirty-gossip-thread/?do=findComment&comment=416309

Next to that Oliver Bennett confirmed on IG earlier that his MINI will also be in the game, hopefully by the summer. Don’t forget that in the new GRID game Xite is also heavily visable in the trailers so far. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bscz1xugURP/
image.thumb.png.832452649c1449e61d86b26ea51749d3.png

The final point has been made recently by Community manager PJT in the Welcome to Wales video.
https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/34608-2019-fia-world-rallycross-championship/?page=9&tab=comments#comment-444632
image.png.8331182ad1b7edbf71bafec105fd0d65.png

This chat could suggest a lot of ways, also that it could have ment nothing, but that seems unlikely? First of all he mentions currently, so it means in the future this could change, and secondly he mentions RX and not specifically says WRX. The only RX cars who have 2018 liveries are the Supercars, but next to WRX liveries there are also some ARX liveries (Subaru) and some Euro RX liveries.

At the moment it is most likely 2019 content will come, but there are some other options that could be possible, f.e. a bigger 2018 content (with more WRX, ARX and ERX content),  maybe even “Historic” Supercars like in the F1 games (so f.e. the DS3 from Solberg, maybe the Impreza from DR1, the (Isachsen) Focus ST or Hansen C4 from DiRT 3) although it seems unlikely. One more option, but also unlikely is an older season, f.e. the “missing” 2017 season. (DR1 was about the 2015 season, and D4 was about the 2016 season).

So what can we expect?

First of all I think the future RX DLC content will be 2018 and 2019 seasons focused. Or it will be 2019 focused and at the same time filling the 2018 “gaps”. At least that is what I hope if that is the case. F.e. the i20 and MINI also competed, so when they add this for the possible 2019 content, I also hope they will include the 2018 liveries.

Tracks

It seems 6 more locations will come according to steamdb. Some slots will also be for rally. Currently I have two theories:

• 4 slots will be for RX. Two for the remaining 2018 tracks, CotA and South Africa, and the other two slots for the new 2019 tracks, Abu Dhabi and Spa. From those three Codemasters already has a lot of resource material from their F1 games. The remaining two slots will then be for the two remaining DR1 Rally locations Finland and Greece
  • 3 slots for RX, two for the remaining 2018 tracks and one for the return of Lydden Hill. It could mean that Rally gets a new location, but this could f.e. also be for a free roam area (DirtFish or Battersea).

Although the second theory is not impossible, somehow my feelings say the first theory is more logical.

Cars

It is totally unknown how many new cars will come, so it is difficult to give some good theories about this. So I will go car by car which I think maybe could come.

Xite Racing Mini Cooper (confirmed / likely)
The Xite Racing team has been promoting DR2.0 from the beginning, Bennett kinda confirmed the car will come in the summer and Xite also is heavily represented in the new GRID game. All indications that we can expect the MINI. It is also not the first time MINI has been in RX, with f.e. the Countryman in DR1 and D4.

GRX Hyundai i20 (possible)
This is probably the biggest Supercar entry that is missing from DR2.0. Only some source (reliable?) do mention this car is coming. Also the i20 was already in D4, but than in R5, although this car not made it in DR2.0 so far. Also the i20 R5 was DLC in D4, so maybe it will be again like that for DR2.0.

Munnich SEAT Ibiza (possible)
This car was in DiRT 4, although the current 2019 spec car (also the 2018 version) are quite different from the version that was raced in D4 (2016 season). The team has been a big entry last year and this year (full time WRX and ERX), so it makes quite some sense this car will return.

GCK Renault Clio (possible)
Two Clio’s are full time entered in the 2019 WRX seasons (and was full time 2018 ERX as well), and next to that Renault is quite a lot in DR2.0 already. Also there is some support from R.S. this season for GCK. That makes it all likely the Clio could turn up.

ES Skoda Fabia (possible)
ES runs a Skoda Fabia supercar this season (almost full time), which is based on the R5. Licensing is pretty difficult for Skoda, but Codemasters managed to get the R5 in the game. Maybe it seems impossible to get the license for the Supercar, but there are two indications that might change this. First of all the Super 1600 polo from ES Motorsport is also in the game, and secondly the Supercar also has been featured on the official Skoda Motorsport IG page meaning that Skoda not is against the project. They also say “our rallycross car”.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzLl8qhnv8I/

Volkswagen Beetle ARX (possible)
VW has been well represented in the game, although they are all Polo: WRX, R5, GTI and S1600. I will be interested if the ARX Beetle could show up. The Subaru from ARX is already ingame and next to that the Beetle is a VW product (well represented) and is a championship winning machine. Only thing that could stop it imo is that VW doesn’t really want to promote it anymore and stops producing the car. Currently their R brand is supports the program in ARX. Although I wouldn’t say it is unlikely, but I think it makes less chance than some other to show up.

Volkswagen Polo - Privateers (possible)
This Polo has been in DR1 and D4, and is currently still very active in different rallycross championships, including full time entries in ERX and had guest entries in WRX. I think because the model is ready (still need to do rework for DR2.0) makes it still possible to show up. But with the factory version already in the game and it is no full time WRX entry, it makes it less likely.

M-Sport Ford Focus (possible)
Probably one of most popular Supercars in DiRT 4 thanks to Bakkerud, Block and its aggressive looks. The car has no entry in 2019, but did a full season in ARX 2018. Although I would say the car is unlikely to come in DR2, the car model already being available and there is no other Supercar Focus in the game, I think there is still a chance we might see it, also to have some more variation.

M-Sport Ford Fiesta MK7 (unlikely)
Only the OMSE Fiesta MK7 is currently in the game, even though the STARD and Nitiss (SET) were based on M-Sport shells. I now also doubt the car will come. Though it would be nice to see the accurate models, also because in this ARX season the Loenbro team races with it full time.

Ford Fiesta MK8 2019 spec (unlikely)
In DiRT Rally 2.0 the OMSE MK8 Fiesta is quite different compared to this year car, especially due to the cooling of the car is this year in the back, instead of it being in the front in 2018. And with that it gives quite a different driving characteristics with this years MK8 Fiesta (OMSE and STARD) have the cooling in the back. Aero wise both MK8 Fiesta are quite similar (especially compared to the MK7 Fiestas between the OMSE and the M-Sport based Fiestas, which were very different) and from the outside it is all just more about the details. I will be interested if CM will consider to make a 2019 spec Fiesta, while visually it seems only the cooling need to be changed. Physics wise the car will also need some adjustments.

Citroën DS3 (unlikely)
The DS3 has been a popular car, although not has been seen much in the WRX/ARX/ERX scene in last season and this season. All were/are guest entries. The Barbosa car (ex-LDM Bakkerud car) this year has an awesome livery though. In other championships the car is still entered a lot, and CM could also think to attract more f.e. French RX fans to the game with adding this car. Also my idea to add “Historic” cars to add the DS3 (Solberg championship winning car, Doran, Bakkerud, Hansen, Oliver Solbergs popular run at Goodwood) could be an interesting one. But for now I think the car is unlikely.

Honda Civic Coupé (unlikely)
Former GRC car, and current RallyX Nordic cars, entered at Holjes as a guest entry. Unlikely this car will appear, but with the OMSE connections and maybe interest from Honda could make it an interesting addition.

CARS
I think the focus will be on the big 2018 and 2019 WRX entries, and with that it will be already 5 new car models: MINI, i20, Ibiza, Clio and Fabia. Three models of those exists already (partly) and two from that need to be scratch made. I will also wonder than if there will be still development space for f.e. the Beetle, Focus and privateer Polo. It could also depend a bit on the vision of IMG (RX promotor) and CM, if they f.e. also want to promote ARX a bit more, than the Focus and Beetle might also get more interesting and than the i20 and Fabia might be sacrificed due the possible difficult licensing.

image.png

Edited by JorritVD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JorritVD said:

VW has been well represented in the game, although they are all Polo: WRX, R5, GTI and S1600. 

nope. Golf GTI, H2 FWD.

Posted (edited)

Personally, the less RX the better, but I suspect we'll be looking at 2 to 4 new RX venues.

Few points about cars:

- So far, cars have always arrived in pairs from the same class (2x Group B RX or 2x 2000s Rally, for example). And matching the 'type' of location (RX cars with RX venues). So I'm assuming the Mini will be accompanied by something else new.

- The omission of the Hyundai R5 makes me think the i20 is unlikely. It feels like Hyundai and Seat both have cars that would have been easy to include in the base game but haven't been, so I suspect there have been 'difficulties' with these two licensing departments. Hopefully they're resolved, but we'll see.

- If we can expect 6 new locations over 2 'seasons', then I suspect 4 of those will be RX personally. Much as I wish for it, I just don't see a 'new' rally location being created for DR2. If that is the case, surely that is completing the 2018 track roster and then adding the two new 2019 venues. And I don't see them adding the venues without the equivalent 2019 cars.

- Personally, I'd rate the DS3 RX as more likely than the privateer Polos (and the Seat and Hyundai, as mentioned above); licensing a slightly different variant of the Polo feels unlikely, especially when VW have an approved 'works' car in game.

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Agree 3

I will agree with all that was proposed from the track side of things re: finishing out 2018 and the two new '19 tracks.

I'm also in the camp that would love to see a full blown RX game but I know that would never work.

11 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

Personally, the less RX the better, but I suspect we'll be looking at 2 to 4 new RX venues.

... ... ...

- If we can expect 6 new locations over 2 'seasons', then I suspect 4 of those will be RX personally. Much as I wish for it, I just don't see a 'new' rally location being created for DR2.

I must say I agree with the less RX the better. I have still almost not touched the RX content in the game except for the necessary to platinum the game. The rally content (especially new locations) in the new Seasons (3 and 4?) will decide if I will buy the additions or not. 

I want to see rally removed from the next DiRT game. I am sick of all the rally snobs who want to get rid of rallycross, so I think it's time to fight back. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, JorritVD said:

>>> NOTE: These views are mine. Things can be wrong. Maybe my hope is focused more on RX than Rally. <<<

Soon the first two seasons of DLC come to an exciting end with two new Group B RX cars and the Estering RX track. A lot of indications suggest we can expect more DLC. What it will be and in which form (seasons or different) is unknown so far. Probably most of it is already decided, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t interesting to talk and gossip about. In this topic I specifically talk about RX. Although I like rally, my preference goes to RX. [...]

Well done @JorritVD

100% agree.

I would also like more RX atmosphère inside the FIA WRX championship mode like we have in the F1 2019 games. I mean, for example, we need more Andrew Coley like on my new edit :

We need to have the Monster energy super charge award at each RX final for example. This kind of cool stuff IMO.

Edited by JamesMcAdam

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

I want to see rally removed from the next DiRT game. I am sick of all the rally snobs who want to get rid of rallycross, so I think it's time to fight back. 

Lol 😄

I was close to come here and say similiar things like "the less RX the better", but I realised, it's a bit unfair. It is part of the game and a good mix of DLC probably please everyone.

I just don't get warm with RX. Can't really say anything about the AI because I only did the championship once for the achievements in february. Since then only the community daily's.

But I like the races in Höljes, Hell, Bikernieki and Silverstone with the RX Supercars or Group B RX.

A cool addition would be the Audi Sport quattro E2 RX. I watched a vid on YouTube seeing it, didn't know that it existed in RX after Group B ended. I thought only the other 4 raced.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, JamesMcAdam said:

Well done @JorritVD

100% agree.

I would also like more RX atmosphère inside the FIA WRX championship mode like we have in the F1 2019 games. I mean, for example, we need more Andrew Coley like on my new edit :

We need to have the Monster energy super charge award at each RX final for example. This kind of cool stuff IMO.

let's be honest: that's kind of a dumb award though... on tracks where the joker is on the first corner it usually goes to whoever goes joker first, because they're not braking for the first corner!

1 minute ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

A cool addition would be the Audi Sport quattro E2 RX. I watched a vid on YouTube seeing it, didn't know that it existed in RX after Group B ended. I thought only the other 4 raced.

Yeah, there were a few quattros used in rallycross, but the 205T16 and Delta S4 were the superior cars in the late 80's and then the RS200 and 6R4 became the weapons of choice once they were fully developed. 

10 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah, there were a few quattros used in rallycross, but the 205T16 and Delta S4 were the superior cars in the late 80's and then the RS200 and 6R4 became the weapons of choice once they were fully developed. 

But is it me or is the Ford RS200 Evolution in the game uncompetitive against the Peugeot 205 T16 Evo 2?

Because the leaderboards suggest so.

And did you mean that first the Peugeot and Lancia dominated RX with slightly upgraded cars for RX and then Ford and MG came to the party with much better versions and ruled everything?

And the Audi was just...there sometimes?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ianism said:

let's be honest: that's kind of a dumb award though... on tracks where the joker is on the first corner it usually goes to whoever goes joker first, because they're not braking for the first corner!

The super charge award goes to the guy who has the best reaction time with the green light. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

But is it me or is the Ford RS200 Evolution in the game uncompetitive against the Peugeot 205 T16 Evo 2?

Yeah it is. The specification of it is all wrong as well: the Evo was a 2.1L and the car should be developing 600+ BHP. I am not sure where they have got the figures from for the car in game, cosmetically it is modelled on Pat Doran's RS200 in it's late '00's configuration, but I am not sure where they have got the performance data from. 

1 hour ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

And did you mean that first the Peugeot and Lancia dominated RX with slightly upgraded cars for RX and then Ford and MG came to the party with much better versions and ruled everything?

And the Audi was just...there sometimes?

Yeah, the Peugeot 205T16 and Lancia S4 were the strongest cars in '87 and '88 (though some drivers did have success in the quattro, Olle Arnesson in particular), with the 205T16 emerging as the car to have. 

The RS200 had some success at a National level, but it was Martin Schanche who really developed the Ford and made it a front runner. From 1990 onwards I would say that was the best car, with the most developed 6R4's (most notably the bi-turbo car of Will Gollop) in close pursuit. 

I think there was some manufacturer involvement for some cars (specifically Peugeot and Ford), but other manufacturers weren't interesting in developing the cars in rallycross. The best examples of the 6R4 ended up quite a long way off the rally specification, but the RS200 wasn't, which does make you wonder what might have happened if the car had more time in rally.

Group B rallycross has been the only disappointment of DR2.0 for me thus far: it's really cool to have those cars in game, but I wish the class was more accurately represented. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Group B rallycross has been the only disappointment of DR2.0 for me thus far: it's really cool to have those cars in game, but I wish the class was more accurately represented. 

How high are the chances the RS200 Evo gets an performance upgrade to match the Peugeot? I mean, it seems to be pretty useless that way.

Also both cars have pretty noticable bugs, too.

The Peugeot on the engine upgrades and the Ford on the Dashboard (not working speedometer etc.).

Hopefully the other 2 cars are "bug-free" 😄

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

How high are the chances the RS200 Evo gets an performance upgrade to match the Peugeot? I mean, it seems to be pretty useless that way.

I don't know. I did ask @PJTierney about the specification/performance errors with the rallycross RS200 when it was released and he said was going to ask around, but I am not sure if he ever got a reply. 

Forget about the cars. Add some life to the career mode. It’s bare bones, lifeless with no sense of progress of achievement. You make the finals and it’s copy paste from the last races. Not limited to rx since rally is the same. 

• Agree 2

On 7/19/2019 at 11:44 PM, Kiwiazbro said:

Forget about the cars. Add some life to the career mode. It’s bare bones, lifeless with no sense of progress of achievement. You make the finals and it’s copy paste from the last races. Not limited to rx since rally is the same. 

I have to say that I appreciate their efforts and I hope our speculations are right that there will be season 3 and 4. I think all the locations (both RX and rally) are excellent, and so are the cars, and I want them coming in the future. Still, I hope they would work on the core of the game as well: As you say no sense of progress or achievements, and this goes for both rally and RX. Generally I think this game does a decent job competing against other players online, and against AI, but I think the game misses totally when it comes to competing against yourself. We have a time attack mode completely cut off from everything else in the game, and that’s it. I remember how I enjoyed the corner mastery from Shift1 and Shift2, and I think something like that could be very enjoyable and useful in a rally sim like DR2.0. If we could have corner mastery on each corner on the RX tracks where you get an achievement for doing the ideal line (two variant: 1. for fastest time and 2. in traffic) in that spesific corner, imho this would make it more interesting. 

• Like 1