Sign in to follow this  

Frames Per Second - PS4 & XboxOne

Hello guys,

Please excuse me if this has been confirmed in another post, i cant seem to find it.

Are the PS4 & Xbox One running at 60fps please?

The quetion is difficult to answer without saying a) what platform / pc hardware and b) what resolution. Then you have a whole pile of effects on top of that, so for example it maybe easier to achieve 60fps if you turn off some sort of shading/other visual effects.

IIRC the "leaked" work in progress pictures suggested a development framerate of around 50 fps ? There was no mention of what hardware type, but since the PC spec is so hardware dependent my guess it was probably on PS4 or Xbone. There was no mention of resolution.

From what I can see so far both consoles struggle to achieve locked 60fps @ 1080p. Of the racing games FH5 got 60fps I believe, but I don't know about the resolution. Driveclub and FH2 were 30fps. Most devs seem to be struggling to achieve 1080p 60fps locked. Since CM maintain a lot of control over their code (own engine etc) they may well surprise us. Or maybe not.

As ever, if graphics / fps really floats your boat then the solution is PC (I'm on XB1).

Happy to be corrected about any of the above.

Hi guys.

Appreciate you getting back to me on this.

I guess its fingers crossed then, i played the 2013 version on my laptop at 60fps and dont want to go back to 30, its just no where near as good for a game like this.

I was hoping to play my friends on either PS4 or XB1, but if its 30fps then ill have to buy a new PC im thinking.

Many thanks.

e15f said:
Hi guys.

Appreciate you getting back to me on this.

I guess its fingers crossed then, i played the 2013 version on my laptop at 60fps and dont want to go back to 30, its just no where near as good for a game like this.

I was hoping to play my friends on either PS4 or XB1, but if its 30fps then ill have to buy a new PC im thinking.

Many thanks.

I think the codies CM posted a list of PC specs on here somewhere, so you might want to see how they match up with your current. I have no idea whether these are minimum or recommended specs.

Here is the leaked stuff :

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-16-first-shots-of-f1-2015-leak

I see in the text it says 50fps @ 1080p on PS4 but that it is work in progress and there is scope for improvement.

I asked (  Justbiglee) at the announcement release, about 1080p and framerate, and he told me that's not untrue, but it's not confirmed , so he finished by saying , until confirmed by the Dev- team Twitter page , or forum, then it's just rumours 

Be good if they just dropped it to 900p then by the sounds of it, but I imagine the Sony marketing men wouldn't have that.

Rock solid 50FPS shouldn't worry anyone anyway..

Look at Driveclub and Its rock solid 30FPS. Evo devs have taught everyone the old lesson we all usually forget about frames per second not being the most important thing to make a game either enjoyable or deep.

Like everyone else I'd rather have a 60FPS racing game. But If they can't lock It at 60 because the game does not look good at all, then I don't have any problem with 50

e15f said:
Be good if they just dropped it to 900p then by the sounds of it, but I imagine the Sony marketing men wouldn't have that.
I don't get all this 60fps malarky. I have been racing FH2 @ 30fps and it looks great. I think its just a number people like to get their knickers in a twist about without actually thinking about the details and the fact that 60fps means nothing without qualification.

I'd probably be a bit hacked off though if I'd spent extra on a system and the performance was being reduced because a cheaper bit of hardware wasn't capable of doing the job. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem very fashionable to allow users to be able to choose between different configurations on console.

You get better response though mate, twice as much in fact (obviously). Making fine movements at near 200mph, 30fps doesn't cut the mustard and it looks loads better at 60fps, properly smooth. Racing games really need this imo.

hola said:
50FPS will be good enough on consoles
Correct me if im wrong, but I thought TVs always emit at 60Hz, so a 30 fps game shows the same frame twice, but as 50 is not a factor of 60, 50fps would appear quite uneven as some frames are shown for longer than others

doyley101 said:
hola said:
50FPS will be good enough on consoles
Correct me if im wrong, but I thought TVs always emit at 60Hz, so a 30 fps game shows the same frame twice, but as 50 is not a factor of 60, 50fps would appear quite uneven as some frames are shown for longer than others
Most people have crap TVs that operate at 50Hz. Others have the typical cheap 100Hz TV that are in fact interlaced 50Hz, etc, so you shouldn't have any problem. Only the expensive TVs have real 60Hz/100Hz/200hz etc rates. You would actually have more imput lag if the game were released at 60FPS when using one of these crap cheap TVs at 50Hz, not the other way around as you seemed to be thinking.

I never play Videogames on TV since the HDMI era, consoles included. Use always a gaming monitor and that's all, 1ms models (actual 16'9 ms. response time. CRTs had a 13ms imput delay window, so the difference compared to old CRTs is unnoticeable anyway) if possible.