AI Qualify pace vs Race pace

Hello there,

I've noticed this before the patch as well. Usually I have to up AI difficulty (2 clicks) for qualify. It seems AI has better race pace than quali.

Do you feel the same?

Thanks!

• Agree 1

Still on patch 1.04, haven’t really found this to be the case. Seems pretty well balanced to me.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, joserdcosta said:

Hello there,

I've noticed this before the patch as well. Usually I have to up AI difficulty (2 clicks) for qualify. It seems AI has better race pace than quali.

Do you feel the same?

Thanks!

Yes, me personally, i use 110 for Qualifying and something between 90 - 105 for the race depending on what track i'm at whilst 95 being the standard go to AI race difficulty due to the fact that on most tracks 95 gives the most realistic race pace for the AI if compared to real life.

Difficulty is out of sync, imo, race pace seems to be faster than quali pace for the AI.

Made a thread about this issue recently asking for the implementation of a possible solution i believe could be easier than recoding the AI itself:

Simply put, this is about the addition of "hardcoded AI difficulty presets" for all individual and seperate GP events, meaning that i only dial in the difficulty once in the beginning, e.g.:

FP1 90,

FP2 90,

FP3 105,

Quali 110,

Race 95.

This way the AI gets set up once to our liking for all events and we won't have to bother having to adjust constantly all the time anymore.

Of course this is not a core fix for the imbalance of the AI itself, but, imo, this should be easier to be implemented into the game as the assets are already there.

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Spelling error, format

1 hour ago, SturmDesTodes said:

Yes, me personally, i use 110 for Qualifying and something between 90 - 105 for the race depending on what track i'm at whilst 95 being the standard go to AI race difficulty due to the fact that on most tracks 95 gives the most realistic race pace for the AI if compared to real life.

Difficulty is out of sync, imo, race pace seems to be faster than quali pace for the AI.

Made a thread about this issue recently asking for the implementation of a possible solution i believe could be easier than recoding the AI itself:

Simply put, this is about the addition of "hardcoded AI difficulty presets" for all individual and seperate GP events, meaning that i only dial in the difficulty once in the beginning, e.g.:

FP1 90,

FP2 90,

FP3 105,

Quali 110,

Race 95.

This way the AI gets set up once to our liking for all events and we won't have to bother having to adjust constantly all the time anymore.

Of course this is not a core fix for the imbalance of the AI itself, but, imo, this should be easier to be implemented into the game as the assets are already there.

That would be nice. Nice suggestion. Thanks for the reply

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Some of the difference in pace may be if you are running less than 100% race and using flying lap for qual and quitting to the garage you will have insane tire wear on your quali set so you will have no pace in the first stint. I had this happen in the first few races, so you lose on the start (cuz ai starts are crazy fast), you lose in the first stint with tires more worn than theirs, then when you move to stint 2 and beyond its been pretty close for me. Usually I am gaining on the ai some at this point but with 25% distance i usually run out of laps.

If you Drive Out and manually drive back in the pits slowly after your qual lap you can save your tires a lot. I can have 8-9% wear instead of over 20% wear by doing flying lap/quit to garage. Its still a bit of a disadvantage to the ai maybe, but its a lot better.

This has been a common issue in F1 games for a long time and they don't seem to ever get it dialed in. They must not put a lot into balancing the % difficulty. Of course this year with the tire wear multiplier in qual its makes it worse...

Edited by Sojourner
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

Some of the difference in pace may be if you are running less than 100% race and using flying lap for qual and quitting to the garage you will have insane tire wear on your quali set so you will have no pace in the first stint. I had this happen in the first few races, so you lose on the start (cuz ai starts are crazy fast), you lose in the first stint with tires more worn than theirs, then when you move to stint 2 and beyond its been pretty close for me. Usually I am gaining on the ai some at this point but with 25% distance i usually run out of laps.

If you Drive Out and manually drive back in the pits slowly after your qual lap you can save your tires a lot. I can have 8-9% wear instead of over 20% wear by doing flying lap/quit to garage. Its still a bit of a disadvantage to the ai maybe, but its a lot better.

This has been a common issue in F1 games for a long time and they don't seem to ever get it dialed in. They must not put a lot into balancing the % difficulty. Of course this year with the tire wear multiplier in qual its makes it worse...

Good call. As I mentioned before I haven't had this issue at all and run 100% race distance exclusively offline, including full qualifying with manual out/inlaps (I don't want any sim/ffw times).

It's really weird that they still scale tyre wear during qualy for shorter races.

In F1 2017 & 2018, I did notice that on 100% distance, the AI were really slow in the opening stint, solid in the middle part and OP towards the end. Was quite annoying, but this year that actually seems to have disappeared completely.

1 minute ago, Andrew210227 said:

Good call. As I mentioned before I haven't had this issue at all and run 100% race distance exclusively offline, including full qualifying with manual out/inlaps (I don't want any sim/ffw times).

It's really weird that they still scale tyre wear during qualy for shorter races.

In F1 2017 & 2018, I did notice that on 100% distance, the AI were really slow in the opening stint, solid in the middle part and OP towards the end. Was quite annoying, but this year that actually seems to have disappeared completely.

As far as I remember I don't think qual tire wear was based on the % distance race you were doing. I think this is a bug or error in 2019. Many have called it out already, but Codies hasn't acknowledged it as far as im aware.

If you can get the % right the racing is pretty good for ai honestly. Its just a shame you have to do so much playing around with it. If you throw in career mode car performance progression its about impossible to keep it close, but this isnt just an issue with F1, any sim racing game its difficult.

For me it depends on how much time i want to spend on a track. If i run 40 laps i'll be faster than if i run 20 laps (practice) so its even harder to determine ai if you are always trying to practice until you can beat them. Also of course certain tracks im just better at, or the ai is better or worse at.