Sign in to follow this  

10 Place Grid Penalty for a new gear box

Just received a 10 place grid penalty for changing my 1st gear box.  

After doing some research this was in last years game as a bug. Have they still not fixed this issue.

I have the latest 1.05 version. Also do penalty’s carry over into the next GP. Should of brought in all new engine components as well if I new I was getting a ten place grid drop. 

You're only allowed 1 gearbox for every 6 races. If you choose to take a new one before completing 6 races then you take a grid penalty as the irl sporting regulations state. Funnily enough though I swapped mine out at the 4th race and didn't get a penalty 🤫

The first one is 10 places, after that 5. It is that in real life as well last time I checked

And you will have access to two different gearboxes throughout the season. One is the Practice Gearbox, which will be used during P1 and P2, and can be replaced at any given moment without ever having the risk of being awarded a grid penalty. The Event Gearbox, however, is used for P3, qualifying and the race. As Thundercats said: this can only be replaced after six races, otherwise you will get a penalty.

32 minutes ago, Qrazzo said:

The first one is 10 places, after that 5. It is that in real life as well last time I checked

Nope. That's just for engine components. Gearbox is 5 places for each replacement, including the first.

Not sure about this case but there is also another bug(or something i can't understand!?), if you unlock an extra PU component outside of your allocation to race on it (like the fourth ICE or the 3rd CE) ,or even picking the extra one for all of your PU components just before starting the race session (i mean after the Qualy when you are at the control center) you will get the penalty caution but will be starting the race on your original grid position while using new elements...

in Chinese GP it was a wet/dry qualy and i have managed to leave the garage at the last part of it and got a P3 with my McLaren as only 4-5 drivers got their lap on dry compound, so i saw the situation is good to take one extra ICE for later races and start from a reasonable P8 but i got no penalty on my new ICE!

for research purpose i have load it back to that point and try to unlock extra ones outside of the allocation for all parts of PU, a fresh set of a complete PU and the result was the same, got penalty caution/notification but no penalty received, maybe i'll get it for the next race? i doubt it as i'm sure it will be considered a change before the current GP ends(before the race)

this extra ICE of PU components was a big gift for my McLaren career lol

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, farjam1990 said:

Not sure about this case but there is also another bug(or something i can't understand!?), if you unlock an extra PU component outside of your allocation to race on it (like the fourth ICE or the 3rd CE) ,or even picking the extra one for all of your PU components just before starting the race session (i mean after the Qualy when you are at the control center) you will get the penalty caution but will be starting the race on your original grid position while using new elements...

in Chinese GP it was a wet/dry qualy and i have managed to leave the garage at the last part of it and got a P3 with my McLaren as only 4-5 drivers got their lap on dry compound, so i saw the situation is good to take one extra ICE for later races and start from a reasonable P8 but i got no penalty on my new ICE!

for research purpose i have load it back to that point and try to unlock extra ones outside of the allocation for all parts of PU, a fresh set of a complete PU and the result was the same, got penalty caution/notification but no penalty received, maybe i'll get it for the next race? i doubt it as i'm sure it will be considered a change before the current GP ends(before the race)

this extra ICE of PU components was a big gift for my McLaren career lol

It's a known bug, many have reported it already and CM is aware of it. If you add any component AFTER qualifying you'll not be penalized in the race.

Edited by Andrew210227
  • Thanks 1

Well, I just got a 15 place grid penalty after I hit Russel in practice. But the notification I got said that I was only rewarded a 5 place grid penalty.

I don't know, but it seems like some problems are present with the grid penalty system.