Sign in to follow this  

Q&A Thread - Part 2

Andi said:
GRID has never been known for long races, rather groups of 4/5 lap races so I doubt it.
Didn't Grid 1 let you do 20 or 50-lap races? (I remember doing a 12-lap touring car race on Nurburgring).

But, GAS does let you go from 3/4/5 to 12/16/20-lap races if I recall. There's a 'multiplier' option for race difficulties that multiplies the race lengths. I think 20 is the maximum though.

I'm talking about the normal race length in career and that, the game is aimed at doing series of short length races rather than longer ones. 

Yes in Autosport there is a up to a 5x multiplier so endurance races are 40 minutes long for example.

Andi said:
I'm talking about the normal race length in career and that, the game is aimed at doing series of short length races rather than longer ones. 

Yes in Autosport there is a up to a 5x multiplier so endurance races are 40 minutes long for example.
I think you can use the multiplier in career mode in order to get more XP as well.

At Long Beach in GRID there is a race with 8 very short laps in the career game.  That's the race with the most laps in GRID that I recall.  There is also a race at Shibuya that is 6 very short laps (may be 8; not positive).  Also, a 6 lap race at Okutama.  Most are 2-3 laps.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.

@KazzyMac

Indeed you can and I most certainly will be doing that but my point was in reference to someone asking for GRID to have longer races which is not the focus of the game or GRID series in general.

I suspect that Codemasters has given up on the hardcore sim crowd anyway. For instance, the endurance types and the league players (that they court so well in F1). You know...the guys that actually want an experience like you would get on the track. Imagine that.

So, the races have to be short or semi short because they now have a better damage model. That's to their credit. But they don't have pit stops, even as an option (well, they always are an "option" if available, right?). Even on the races exceeding 10 laps or 30 mins. you are going to take some damage, is my guess. And not many "5 lap wonders" with the attention span on a 10 year old are going t put up with a compromised car in a race. "Jeeze, now who would want to drive a slow car...man."

If the physics are right (big if), then all this could have been solved with an option to pit if you wanted to go for longer races. They would not even had to change the length format much, since you can string events together, like, say, three 40 minute races in a row creating a "mini-championship" withing Custom Cup (or longer races in Career).

This also could have been solved if they would have developed a penalty system similar to F1. It's obvious they know how to do it and almost all racing series' have similar rules for "causing a collision" and "dangerous driving" or "unnecessary contact" etc. F1 is not perfect, but it's nice.

So, long races plus EITHER i) pit stops OR ii) penalty system for aggressive driving...and you have a near perfect game if the physics are right. Seems simple, doesn't it?

When Codies followed the three ToCA games with GRID I think they made it pretty clear that GRID (& the series) is not ToCA and is designed specifically not to be a sim or have many sim features.  It fills its own niche in arcade racing, and there ain't no pit stops in that place.  As you've mentioned, there are plenty of other racing games for people who want pit stops, etc.  GRID is different, like it or not.  As far as I'm concerned they've already made more than enough "improvements" in GRID A.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player - GRID since 2008.

I'm fine with no pitstops in GAS, but if they continue the series into the next gen I really hope they're included. I realize that Grid is supposed to be focused on the racing, but pitstops are a huge part of racing. Sure, they aren't for everyone, but that's why there could be the option of turning fuel and tire wear off during races if you don't want to worry about it.

Personally, I think it would complete the formula that the series has been using, and make it almost perfect.

If you want pits and other sim-like features, then, I doubt Grid is for you.

Wait for Project CARS.

Wait for Project CARS.
Pit stops aren't exactly a "sim-like feature". I'm not asking for real-time dynamic weather or professional setups or 100% accurate true-to-life physics. I just think it would be cool to include something that is a vital part of nearly every major form of motorsport in the world.

Wait for Project CARS.
Pit stops aren't exactly a "sim-like feature". I'm not asking for real-time dynamic weather or professional setups or 100% accurate true-to-life physics. I just think it would be cool to include something that is a vital part of nearly every major form of motorsport in the world.
Exactly. Since when are pit stops sim-like? That's sort of like saying being able to turn a wheel in the direction you want is "sim-like." It really has nothing to do with the silly sim vs. arcade debate. It's just about making a better game. And for the xbox, contrary to your statement Ruby, I didn't say "are plenty of other racing games for people who want pit stops." I said that almost all racing series' allow, at the very least, pit stops, even if they don't normally happen, like in WTCC. In fact, pit stops in Forza (not a SIM) are a joke; SHIFT, and GRID has none, DIRT has none, and the only games that do (F1 and Race Pro) are series or genre specific. Race Pro is still the best at putting you *there*, amazingly, after all these years.

Certainly it defies common sense to have "Endurance" races with no pit sops, but then again, "Endurance" has become somewhat of a joke in mainstream gaming.

If it's clear to everyone that Codemasters' mea culpa has resulted in more of a SIM-like approach, then why not at least add the OPTION on having pit stops? That's just basic racing. They could have had the "final and best" overall console racer stamped on their forehead with just a few small tweaks. However, I'm glad they did wake up and look forward to playing Autosport.

Wait for Project CARS.
Grid has always been a arcade or simcade which never had features like this, so why suddenly Autosport needs it?

I like to have pits but I just dont think its something Codemaster will do. Lack of pits in endurance is a joke but considering that Autosports is made in a very short development cycle, it is just ridiculous to expect it. It is a major feature for a game which I hope it will be in the next gen Grid game but not Autosports.

Same goes with the constant circle jerk on the shitty cockpits. Yeah, its shitty but do we need to keep going through it again and again?

Cockpit in Autosport not that shitty when you consider that you have a HUD and compare it to what real life is...

Actual View:

Game View:

Wait for Project CARS.
Grid has always been a arcade or simcade which never had features like this, so why suddenly Autosport needs it?

I like to have pits but I just dont think its something Codemaster will do. Lack of pits in endurance is a joke but considering that Autosports is made in a very short development cycle, it is just ridiculous to expect it. It is a major feature for a game which I hope it will be in the next gen Grid game but not Autosports.

Same goes with the constant circle jerk on the shitty cockpits. Yeah, its shitty but do we need to keep going through it again and again?
I'm not saying Autosport needs it. I'm just saying if they plan to continue the GRID series, possibly onto next gen systems (which I hope they do), I would like to see them add pit stops as they add more variety to the races. I'm no 70-lap, super hardcore guy, but I like to run longer races once and a while and without that element of strategy, a 20-lap race around Okutama or Chicago can get a bit old. Like I said, if some don't want to deal with it, no problem. Codies could easily add the option to turn it off.

This is just my personal opinion, but I'm sure there are others that feel this way. Even without pit stops I think GAS is going to be fantastic, but (at least in my opinion), the addition of stops would make an already great game series truly incredible.

Cockpit in Autosport not that shitty when you consider that you have a HUD and compare it to what real life is...

Actual View:

Game View:

I say tell that to the people who are constantly hating on Autosports because it has shitty cockpits.

I am fine with it because at the end of the day, a good racing game depends on a variety of factors, not because it has high detailed cockpits.

Actual View:

Game View:

I say tell that to the people who are constantly hating on Autosports because it has shitty cockpits.

I am fine with it because at the end of the day, a good racing game depends on a variety of factors, not because it has high detailed cockpits.
Just proves how these days the majority of gamers only care about how shiny the paintwork is and not how the underlying mechanical parts fit together and perform.

aka in layman's terms: They care only for the graphics and not the gameplay. When it should be the other way around. Kids these days. if all they had to play was Super Mario or Super Hang On! then they would probably commit suicide because of how everything back then was pixellated, 16-bit-color sprites. lol.

Loore said:
@flowaangelz

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean :) We are planning a live stream soon so should be able to show off some of the lobby for you while we're doing that.
I may have missed this somewhere, but did this stream ever happen?

Really want to see the lobby stuff in action ya know?

Goonertez said:
Loore said:
@flowaangelz

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean :) We are planning a live stream soon so should be able to show off some of the lobby for you while we're doing that.
I may have missed this somewhere, but did this stream ever happen?

Really want to see the lobby stuff in action ya know?
It has not happened yet. I think it's on hold for a bit as @Loore is off rubbing elbows with the greats at E3. :)

Actual View:

Game View:

And what when you turn off hud because you like that or just for more exp and money???

@Loore the game is going to be fully translated to Brazilian Portuguese, like F1 2011, F1 2012, F1 2013 and GRID 2? 

Actual View:

Game View:

And what when you turn off hud because you like that or just for more exp and money???
You are absolutely right. I was more referring to the complaints that the head-cam or non-dash cockpit view was too restrictive and closed in. But it's actually quite realistic and allows you to see a wider angle instead of the moon, like Forza. But yea, Whoever left out mirrors made a major blunder. I can live with the artificial telemetry.

Gui1 said:
@Loore the game is going to be fully translated to Brazilian Portuguese, like F1 2011, F1 2012, F1 2013 and GRID 2? 
would have thought so as most games have multi lingual modes

Gui1 said:
Yup