Tips for a beginner in Monaco?

I’ve held my own through the first 5 races on career mode. This is my first F1 game. Monaco is insane!  I can’t finish a lap in FP within 10 seconds of even the Williams cars. 

Any tips on set up? Speed?  

If i go fast, it’s like bumper cars. If I make it through a lap, it’s slowly. 

Monaco can be a pain in the neck in these games unfortunately. I've never really got on with it. I normally just drop the AI down. Monaco is a track that rewards patience you can't just charge around it like you can other tracks. Unfortunately it's just the way it is many people struggle with Monaco.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Beast70 said:

I’ve held my own through the first 5 races on career mode. This is my first F1 game. Monaco is insane!  I can’t finish a lap in FP within 10 seconds of even the Williams cars. 

Practice is the only way, whenever im learning a track i forget about setup initially and concentrate on breaking points and turn in points.. Regardless of what laptime you do try to get consistent, so complete 5 - 10 laps all within maybe half a second of each other. Once you can do this aim for, 200 between laptimes... 

Then make minor adjustments to setup and see if they give you the feel you want. 

Monaco is unforgiving though and you need to start pushing your luck with the barriers to get a lap in. 

I will have a vid on my yt channell in the next couple of days for monaco. It will be in cockpit view and you might be able to get some tips from it... 

Edited by Gysepy-Simracer
  • Agree 2

Thanks for the advice. Monaco is like learning the game all over again. I will look for your YT vid. Posted under the same name as here?

I feel your pain. 

I had to turn flashbacks on for any chance of finishing the race!

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, johnboy83 said:

I feel your pain. 

I had to turn flashbacks on for any chance of finishing the race!

What are flashbacks?

Edited by Beast70

4 hours ago, Beast70 said:

What are flashbacks?

Flashbacks are a feature of the game where for example if they are enabled and you should crash in career. You can Pause the game and view replay/flashback, after a few seconds you get the option to (flashback). It basically takes you back maybe 5 - 10 seconds before your incident so you effectively try again lol

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Beast70 said:

Thanks for the advice. Monaco is like learning the game all over again. I will look for your YT vid. Posted under the same name as here?

Here ya go bud, i managed a 1:12.2. I dont bother with the fastest time trial times and juts like to enjoy it. Hope it helps you out, any ? let me know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UczcyxMzOds

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 7/20/2019 at 3:14 PM, Beast70 said:

I don't know if these help you but did 1:10.416 on weekly event qualifying: https://youtu.be/tDQhrX7AHx0

Also the race is here (currently 3rd score on Ps4 but will probably be around P10 when event is over): https://youtu.be/VP5_7Bevb6U

• Agree 1

Such a brutal track to race. Even once you get to a point of good pace, there are maybe two places go overtake and those are sketchy.  It's a miserable course.lol

Another option may be to turn Damage off and just NASCAR your way around it.  Otherwise, you pretty much have to qualify near pole and get a perfect start. If not, pray you nail the pit stop 

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Arttu1202 said:

I don't know if these help you but did 1:10.416 on weekly event qualifying: https://youtu.be/tDQhrX7AHx0

That's a very fast time. When you get a few, please humor some of us and see what you can do in cockpit view. 

T1 and the chicane after the tunnel are losing all my time. My braking points are good, I think I'm just scrubbing more speed than needed.

43 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

That's a very fast time. When you get a few, please humor some of us and see what you can do in cockpit view. 

T1 and the chicane after the tunnel are losing all my time. My braking points are good, I think I'm just scrubbing more speed than needed.

For the chicane, drive on the left side and make the braking zone as straight as possible. They do this in real life too, as there's a bump close to the guardrail on the right side. It helps stabilize the car for turn-in.

2 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

I actually improved 😂 As the event is over I did few laps on time trial, with same setup and same car. Also i can tell you that i did probably 5 times more laps on TV pod when i was making the setup for the event. So that TV pod time should be pretty good comparison. I'm uploading video currently to the youtube and post it here when it's uploaded

TV Pod time: 1:10.292

Cockpit time: 1:10.178

So here is all laps i did on cockpit. As you can see it took few laps to build the pace as i'm not used to it. Obviously I had that previous practice on TV pod for the event, so that's why it was probably easy to improve on cockpit also. However some turns felt easier on cockpit and it was much more fun than TV Pod obviously. 

2069768131_image1(4).thumb.jpeg.b18f5f28213e60f33edd5dbb3808b37c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

So here is the lap 🙂 Can't wait Blunt to come here and tell how much minimap helped on time trial lap 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Andrew210227 said:

For the chicane, drive on the left side and make the braking zone as straight as possible. They do this in real life too, as there's a bump close to the guardrail on the right side. It helps stabilize the car for turn-in.

Good to know, thank you. I was coming I from the right to help throw the car left then back right. Will certainly change this up. 

Edit: In the video here, he is coming from the right. Or do you mean the T1 mini chicane?

Edited by DaleRossi

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Arttu1202 said:

I actually improved 😂 As the event is over I did few laps on time trial, with same setup and same car. Also i can tell you that i did probably 5 times more laps on TV pod when i was making the setup for the event. So that TV pod time should be pretty good comparison. I'm uploading video currently to the youtube and post it here when it's uploaded

TV Pod time: 1:10.292

Cockpit time: 1:10.178

So here is all laps i did on cockpit. As you can see it took few laps to build the pace as i'm not used to it. Obviously I had that previous practice on TV pod for the event, so that's why it was probably easy to improve on cockpit also. However some turns felt easier on cockpit and it was much more fun than TV Pod obviously. 

2069768131_image1(4).thumb.jpeg.b18f5f28213e60f33edd5dbb3808b37c.jpeg

Very nice runs. What downforce are you running? I need to adjust my lines a bit. Monaco is still pretty new to me since I've always avoided it like the plague.lol

To play devil's advocate, you may go back to TV Pod now and run even faster.

Cockpit is a bit slower on some tracks, but it's worth it IMO. FOV plays a role, too. Use a close FOV and you can see all the details, but you can't see that far ahead.

Edited by DaleRossi

Posted (edited)

So here is the lap 🙂 Can't wait Blunt to come here and tell how much minimap helped on time trial lap 😂

TV pod absolutely has an advantage on quite a few tracks strictly due to better visibility. I mean, that's why people use it..visibility. Fast drivers are going to be fast no matter what, though. 

In fairness, no virtual mirror screws everyone.lol

Edit: I see you're coming in much further left than I am in T1, also. 

Edited by DaleRossi

Absolutly stella lap and insane time in my opinion, so nice to see more cockpit views on YouTube,

First Like on YouTube, BluntRS dont hate, BluntRS congratulates, 😎

Ok since you asked, FYI am not writing this by choice, no hate here, but they asked.

Its @BluntRS FYI, mini circuit in TT are like pre advice info etc, like the arrows in Dirt that not only tell you how far they are away , but also what type of corner your approaching,  giving more time to prepare, speed / gear etc, very helpful in braking that mm later due to the GPS location on track,  also cause you got a visual of angles from above, which you dont normally have, which is clearly shown in the video by your last lap being your fastest,

Lap delta again gives you info on excalty how much time however small your gaining / losing on each corner, by braking just that eye blink later, getting on the power just a eye blink early, very helpful wilst trying to find any time left on the table, which is shown to be a advantage in the video by your last lap being the fastest,

17 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

Very nice runs. What downforce are you running? I need to adjust my lines a bit. Monaco is still pretty new to me since I've always avoided it like the plague.lol

To play devil's advocate, you may go back to TV Pod now and run even faster.

Cockpit is a bit slower on some tracks, but it's worth it IMO. FOV plays a role, too. Use a close FOV and you can see all the details, but you can't see that far ahead.

Well as that was classic car the setup was 1-11 and 11 ballast 😂 

Yeah it's possible that tv pod would be faster now, however Monaco seems to be pretty easy on cockpit compared to some other tracks. Tried France for an example on Mercedes with default setup, pretty similar times (cockpit was 0.1s slower) but it was harder to nail some corners. But it's obviously more fun with cockpit which i might use on career mode but not in league races (at least not yet).

18 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

TV pod absolutely has an advantage on quite a few tracks strictly due to better visibility. I mean, that's why people use it..visibility. Fast drivers are going to be fast no matter what, though. 

In fairness, no virtual mirror screws everyone.lol

Edit: I see you're coming in much further left than I am in T1, also. 

I agree that TV Pod has advantage on visibility, however for me it seemed like in Monaco it actually shows too much and it was easier to concentrate on driving with cockpit but on some other tracks it's totally opposite etc. But anyway on one lap pace there might not be too much difference on the view as it's mostly about pure pace. However i don't know about longer stints, as it might increase the tire wear if car's rear moves a bit more on cockpit than on tv pod etc.

I'm just waiting for VR as then cockpit would feel natural, now it's a bit too limited as it's pure tunnel vision and can't see mirrors. But i admit that TV Pod in the other hand shows too much, so it's not good either. So basically time to go to chase cam or nose cam 😂

About T1, i made there a bit of mistake as you can see from delta, however coming there from left is the way i do it. I just missed the apex as you need to cut that kerb a lot.

1 11 and full ballast. Jeebus.lmao  I haven't played this game since 2013 or so, so I have no clue about that. I think I was using 7 11 or so.

Yeah, cockpit is a give and take. Going back to the 90s, I raced hood view basically because that is all there was, mostly. A few years ago, I just made the decision to go cockpit in every game (pedals and wheel).  The only really tough part is constantly fiddling with FOV settings. That will be an issue until I get a decent setup where I'm not sitting so far from the screen. Or like you said, VR or even three screens.

Most people don't give two s***s what people run, they just want at least one lobby that is geared towards Sim. This game at least alludes to some semblance of sim, so not having those options is a huge let down.

Fortunately, few as they are, I have a few people on Xbox that like to race the same way. The lobbies in F1 are way too close to Forza as they are. JMHO

Other than ballast and wing, did you have to adjust tire pressure for that? With a setup like that, it seems like it would almost be like powersliding through everything. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

1 11 and full ballast. Jeebus.lmao  I haven't played this game since 2013 or so, so I have no clue about that. I think I was using 7 11 or so.

Yeah, cockpit is a give and take. Going back to the 90s, I raced hood view basically because that is all there was, mostly. A few years ago, I just made the decision to go cockpit in every game (pedals and wheel).  The only really tough part is constantly fiddling with FOV settings. That will be an issue until I get a decent setup where I'm not sitting so far from the screen. Or like you said, VR or even three screens.

Most people don't give two s***s what people run, they just want at least one lobby that is geared towards Sim. This game at least alludes to some semblance of sim, so not having those options is a huge let down.

Fortunately, few as they are, I have a few people on Xbox that like to race the same way. The lobbies in F1 are way too close to Forza as they are. JMHO

Other than ballast and wing, did you have to adjust tire pressure for that? With a setup like that, it seems like it would almost be like powersliding through everything. 

Oh looks like i was wrong with wings on the setup, it was 4-11. Anyway with classic cars high ballast is always good, so you can get good rotation. However with high ballast you need to be careful with a throttle and turning so you don't lose the car as rear oversteers a bit. Anyway here is the full setup:

Wings: 4/11

Differentials: 50/55

Suspension geometry: -2.5/-1.00/0.05/0.20

Suspension: 3/2/11/9/4/5

Brakes: 85/54

Tyres: 21.0/19.5

Ballast: 11

Obviously I need to point out that this way doesn't work on 2019 cars as they are not having ballast and setting those cars up is a lot trickier than this one 🙂 

Yeah I get the point that some people would like to race against each other when there is forced cockpit etc. Honestly I wouldn't mind about it if there would be option for this, it would be fun. However good start for this would be to make ranked lobbies totally driving assists off, then maybe forced cockpit as well etc. Anyway ranked is currently a joke as when I go to the lobby, I'm like 10-15s ahead on 5 lap races and then i get kicked out because of winning. So currently ranked lobbies are more or less for those who don't do league races etc.

Edited by Arttu1202

19 hours ago, Arttu1202 said:

Oh looks like i was wrong with wings on the setup, it was 4-11. Anyway with classic cars high ballast is always good, so you can get good rotation. However with high ballast you need to be careful with a throttle and turning so you don't lose the car as rear oversteers a bit. Anyway here is the full setup:

Wings: 4/11

Differentials: 50/55

Suspension geometry: -2.5/-1.00/0.05/0.20

Suspension: 3/2/11/9/4/5

Brakes: 85/54

Tyres: 21.0/19.5

Ballast: 11

Obviously I need to point out that this way doesn't work on 2019 cars as they are not having ballast and setting those cars up is a lot trickier than this one 🙂 

Yeah I get the point that some people would like to race against each other when there is forced cockpit etc. Honestly I wouldn't mind about it if there would be option for this, it would be fun. However good start for this would be to make ranked lobbies totally driving assists off, then maybe forced cockpit as well etc. Anyway ranked is currently a joke as when I go to the lobby, I'm like 10-15s ahead on 5 lap races and then i get kicked out because of winning. So currently ranked lobbies are more or less for those who don't do league races etc.

Thanks for the info and totally agree on ranked lobbies.

Regarding tire pressures, do you use that setting no matter the downforce? I notice at least the default setups have a wide range of TP depending on downforce.