Do something different next year.

I don't like F1 2019 all that much. The game starts out good but it becomes very fast too familiar. The problem with Codemasters F1 series is that it's always evolutionary. Something good get's added, it get's improved and improved but it feels like you are playing the same game each year. To me F1 2019 does not feel like a game anymore, it feels like repetitive work that you have been doing for years. It makes me feel like retiring from F1. I'm too old for this, maybe I should go look for an Indycar game like F1 world champions tend to do in real life when becoming bored with F1.

It started out good actually, it started like no F1 game ever started, it started with a story and the story was not dull what surprised me. I would have appreciated F1 2019 much more if there was a massive change in career and the story would have continued in season 1. I would not have minded being not able to drive full length races but get scenario's in season 1 instead. Just adding two fictional characters to F1 career and adding some generic mails did not keep the story alive. After half a season I didn't care for the two fictional drivers anymore so I restarted career without F2 feeder series and then it struck me that I'm doing the same thing for a few years now.

The biggest problem with suggesting to flesh out the story in F1 2020 is that we will get F1 2019 with just some more cutscenes so I'm not gonna suggest it. What I want to suggest is: do something really different. Surprise us with total new gameplay. Start from scratch again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

57 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

I don't like F1 2019 all that much. The game starts out good but it becomes very fast too familiar. The problem with Codemasters F1 series is that it's always evolutionary. Something good get's added, it get's improved and improved but it feels like you are playing the same game each year. To me F1 2019 does not feel like a game anymore, it feels like repetitive work that you have been doing for years. It makes me feel like retiring from F1. I'm too old for this, maybe I should go look for an Indycar game like F1 world champions tend to do in real life when becoming bored with F1.

It started out good actually, it started like no F1 game ever started, it started with a story and the story was not dull what surprised me. I would have appreciated F1 2019 much more if there was a massive change in career and the story would have continued in season 1. I would not have minded being not able to drive full length races but get scenario's in season 1 instead. Just adding two fictional characters to F1 career and adding some generic mails did not keep the story alive. After half a season I didn't care for the two fictional drivers anymore so I restarted career without F2 feeder series and then it struck me that I'm doing the same thing for a few years now.

The biggest problem with suggesting to flesh out the story in F1 2020 is that we will get F1 2019 with just some more cutscenes so I'm not gonna suggest it. What I want to suggest is: do something really different. Surprise us with total new gameplay. Start from scratch again.

TBH I'm not suer it's as easy as all that seeing as it took them 2 years to build this much but if you're looking for a good sport story mode I'd suggest playing Fifa's the Journey assuming you like football and you haven't already. I don't know if you've already played it but you start out as a young and up and coming footballer and over the course of 3 seasons assuming you have all 3 parts you become one of the best players in Europe and get to try to win the Champions League. I'm not sure CM could do anything like this simply because I don't think they have the resources like EA do. They even used people from their Bioware(the people who make Mas Effect and Dragon Age) studio to help build some of the mechanics used in the game mode.

Also after you've completed you've completed the 3 seasons of the journey there is an option to import your Alex into a career mode either player or manager in Fifa 19 I've not used it yet myself but that's mainly because I want to create the right Alex for that and the right circumstances as well and I haven't had the chance to do that yet. As I want to eventually get Alex and his friend Danny playing as my main strike force at my club. I know how I just haven't got round to it. Basically it'll import them into whatever club they're playing for in Alex's case Real Madrid but in Danny's that depends on what English Premier League club you choose.

• Like 1

I don't like soccer so why would I play Fifa :classic_blink: I'm an F1 nut so I felt immediately invested in the story. But the journey from what I here is very good if you like Fifa games.

@BelgiumDudecould not agree more. The game is a chore and a half. Sick of complaining on this forum about it so I'm not gonna say much. Until patch 1.05 I had stopped playing for the first time in 3 years. Now I'm stopping again because multiplayer lobbies are dead, still.

Also it might aswell be called F1 assists 2019, since patch 1.05. I'm sick of grinding no assists for 0 reward against assist users on a pad.

The last reason is setups, theres no way to prepare for league racing or multiplayer racing. TT setups dont work online properly so we have to go out of our way and make unranked lobbies to tweak setups. Until these changes are made I am forced to go find a different game, probably Fifa in September. 🤒🤮

• Agree 2

I haven't put any significant time into an F1 game since 2013, and I haven't bought the last two at all as my old Mac can't quite keep up any more. Doesn't really sound like I've missed much.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, PureDriving said:

@BelgiumDudecould not agree more. The game is a chore and a half. Sick of complaining on this forum about it so I'm not gonna say much. Until patch 1.05 I had stopped playing for the first time in 3 years. Now I'm stopping again because multiplayer lobbies are dead, still.

Also it might aswell be called F1 assists 2019, since patch 1.05. I'm sick of grinding no assists for 0 reward against assist users on a pad.

The last reason is setups, theres no way to prepare for league racing or multiplayer racing. TT setups dont work online properly so we have to go out of our way and make unranked lobbies to tweak setups. Until these changes are made I am forced to go find a different game, probably Fifa in September. 🤒🤮

Yep. Still finding good lobbies in Assetti Corsa. YMMV

@DaleRossiI might just once and for all buy an xbox to play Forza! Codemasters dont seem to listen to there customers. Normally I'm the last one who will complain about anything, but f1 2019 has rubbed me up the wrong way.

3 hours ago, sjsharp2010 said:

TBH I'm not suer it's as easy as all that seeing as it took them 2 years to build this much but if you're looking for a good sport story mode I'd suggest playing Fifa's the Journey assuming you like football and you haven't already. I don't know if you've already played it but you start out as a young and up and coming footballer and over the course of 3 seasons assuming you have all 3 parts you become one of the best players in Europe and get to try to win the Champions League. I'm not sure CM could do anything like this simply because I don't think they have the resources like EA do. They even used people from their Bioware(the people who make Mas Effect and Dragon Age) studio to help build some of the mechanics used in the game mode.

Also after you've completed you've completed the 3 seasons of the journey there is an option to import your Alex into a career mode either player or manager in Fifa 19 I've not used it yet myself but that's mainly because I want to create the right Alex for that and the right circumstances as well and I haven't had the chance to do that yet. As I want to eventually get Alex and his friend Danny playing as my main strike force at my club. I know how I just haven't got round to it. Basically it'll import them into whatever club they're playing for in Alex's case Real Madrid but in Danny's that depends on what English Premier League club you choose.

They SAY they have been working on it for 2 years, but looking at the bugs like setup resets in lobbies (since 2017), safety car, and i can keep on going, i for starters can't and don't believe that this product has been in the works for 2 years.

the quality of life in general would be a lot better and when you have 2 years to works bugs from previous versions out, theh should be out now but still exist. 

• Agree 3

I find it hard to believe that it took them 2 full years just to add F2, one new podium cutscene, driver transfers and an unfinished career story. All of this is roughly 8 month work. The rest of the game is exactly the same as last year but with updated cars and drivers.

• Like 2

Yeah, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that 2 years developping ended up in the same product with the same bugs, with the same exploits, the same everything. I guess modelling a new menu costs them 2 years. It takes already almost a month after release to get the performance right. What have they been doing in those 2 years i wonder

I think they could overhaul the contract system and make the game much more interesting.  The contracts could be split into short term and long term goals.  Instead of giving you a new contract every 4 races, which isn’t really how it works, and giving you the option to switch teams every 4 races, which also doesn’t happen very often, you’d be given an evaluation based around the short term goals you’d been given.  Instead of renegotiating a new contract, you’d still get to adjust the expectations and perks, but you’d get a new set of short term goals set for the next race.  So essentially it would more or less stay the same except you wouldn’t be able to change teams at that time and your basically getting performance reviews rather than contract negotiations.  Then at the end of the season based on how you did through the year in the standings and how you did on the short/long term goals, you would be offered a new contract for new year (maybe even multiple years).  You could also get offers from other teams depending on how you did etc.  They could work F2 and the Driver Academies into it too!

Firstly, they could start you off with a season in F2 and you’d have a basic contract with certain performance goals, both short term and long term.  Then around mid season, based on your results, you’d get offers from driver academies.  Whichever one you pick would then set the goals for the rest of the season.  Then based on how well you do, at the end of the season, give you a 1 (or more up to say 3) year(s) contract to drive for one of the F1 teams.  Then during F1, there could be a possibility that your driver academy loans you out to another team for a season while somebody at the main team is waiting to retire or whatever.  They could even work the Rival system into it and have your driver academy pick a rival you go up against for the second half of the year and whoever does better gets a set at the main team.  I.e. You get a contract from Ferrari for 3 years and they first get you a drive at Alfa and your having a good season.  Say Kevin Magnussen is too at Haas.  So Ferrari then decides to put you up against K-Mag to pick a new partner for LeClerc because Vettel is going to retire at the end of the year. Say maybe you lose to K-Mag because the Haas was a better developed car that season but it was close so your status with Ferrari doesn’t drop that much.  So maybe then Ferrari decides to stick you in the Haas for a season and see how you fair at the top of the midfield.  Then you have a good year and K-Mag doesn’t so Ferrari decide to move you up for Season 3 and you then win the championship.

They could even take it further and tie in the rookie to veteran slider they have in game to the contracts offered to you after your first driver academy contract expires. Honestly I could go on forever how they could use they’re pre-existing systems they already have in place and beef them up a little bit and make the game a whole lot more immersive!  To tell the truth these are the type of scenarios I’ve been playing out in my head for a couple years now when I pick who my rivals will be and what teams I decide to switch to etc.  

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, AvengerGR35 said:

I find it hard to believe that it took them 2 full years just to add F2, one new podium cutscene, driver transfers and an unfinished career story. All of this is roughly 8 month work. The rest of the game is exactly the same as last year but with updated cars and drivers.

It'll become like Fifa, new menus every year, no worthwhile gameplay changes.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, scottishwildcat said:

I haven't put any significant time into an F1 game since 2013, and I haven't bought the last two at all as my old Mac can't quite keep up any more. Doesn't really sound like I've missed much.

If you haven't played an F1 game since 2013 I guess F1 2019 will blow your mind. If you haven't played 2017 or 2018 this is the best F1 game ever. But when you bought every version (except the one that was not on PS4 whilst every other game came out on PS4) the game get's old quickly.

I have to agree with people saying it's hard to see that 2 years of development or actually I would have to say that I'm beginning to understand that 2 years was not enough. When the game was not out yet it was already obvious the F1 part was pretty much the same. The announcement of driver transfers sounded fenomenaal but it's also clear why it was revealed so late, It's work in progress

Edited by BelgiumDude
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PureDriving said:

It'll become like Fifa, new menus every year, no worthwhile gameplay changes.

Yeah probably and I have to admit I'm thinking of giving Fifa a miss this year as it doesn't look like it's had anything big added to it as the Journey is now finished and I'm not interested in the Volta thing which is basically just going to be a street football mode but at least this way it gives me some time to catch up on my gaming backlog. The only new game I have my eye on atm is the new Star Wars Jedi one but other than that there's not much attracting me but then as I said I still have games to finish so maybe this is a year I can get that done. The only time CM have come close to doing a good racing story was with the first Toca Race Driver  I think but I'm betting most of the people that worked on that are no longer at Codies anymore. I almost chose to give F1 2019 a miss too but the driver transfers convinced me to give it a shot. So far I don't regret it as I've had a lot of fun with F2 and the practice races I've done but then I've not started career yet. I plan to soon though once I've finished my career mode season I'm playing on 2017 atm. I'm up to qualifying for the Italian GP atm so I haven't got too much further to go

Edited by sjsharp2010

7 hours ago, AvengerGR35 said:

This 2 year dev time thing is a bit cheeky IMO. All it takes is for someone to be appointed project manager of a future game then for that person to ask an intern to come up with some new ideas. 1o months later you actually allocate programmers to work on the new ideas and bingo that's '2 years in development'. I'd be stunned if a full dev team worked day and night for 2 years on this release. The career is cut and paste from 2018 with some minor edits and extras that could be done in literally a few days. The cars are different, not always in a good way and the multi-player is shamefully ill thought out. 

Every twitch streamer I watched start career has given up and changed games before end of even the first season. I'm so glad I didn't buy 2019, 2018 with the superb 2019 driver mod was perfectly fine fine for me already. 

Sorry to be harsh but I'm old and have played some great games over many years... This won't be one of them. 

• Agree 1

Well I'm looking forward to starting my career soon so I guess I'll see how I feel then.

I believe that if the devs of Dirt took over the F1 game we would see something different and probably better. Dirt isn't a perfect game, but the car damage and sounds are on point. Not to mention the other features like creating your own team and other stuff. Codies, please swap the F1 dev department with the Dirt dev department just for one year to see what they can do.

• Haha 1

Keep saying it but the forum has put me off buying 19 and I am sticking with 18. Seems more like a bugged 2019 update not a new game.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, BelgiumDude said:

The problem with Codemasters F1 series is that it's always evolutionary. Something good get's added, it get's improved and improved but it feels like you are playing the same game each year.

That's the sport in a nutshell. In fact, that's sport in general in a nutshell. Have you only now realized that spending $60/year on video games of the same sport might not be financially wise?

These are the tell-tale signs of burnout. Take a break from the series and come back in 2-3 years, possibly longer.

• Agree 3

21 hours ago, BelgiumDude said:

The problem with Codemasters F1 series is that it's always evolutionary. Something good get's added, it get's improved and improved but it feels like you are playing the same game each year. To me F1 2019 does not feel like a game anymore, it feels like repetitive work that you have been doing for years.

You’re right, but that’s the problem with annual releases. I do like the racing, but all the other off track stuff is indeed getting stale by now. I’d like to see that change too. 

Maybe they should take some ideas from their fellow devs, like Avenger said. Dirt-style team management system, Grid’s rival system...

this forum is full of ideas to pick from.. 😁

14 hours ago, jrod22145 said:

I think they could overhaul the contract system and make the game much more interesting.  The contracts could be split into short term and long term goals.  Instead of giving you a new contract every 4 races, which isn’t really how it works, and giving you the option to switch teams every 4 races, which also doesn’t happen very often, you’d be given an evaluation based around the short term goals you’d been given.  Instead of renegotiating a new contract, you’d still get to adjust the expectations and perks, but you’d get a new set of short term goals set for the next race.  So essentially it would more or less stay the same except you wouldn’t be able to change teams at that time and your basically getting performance reviews rather than contract negotiations.  Then at the end of the season based on how you did through the year in the standings and how you did on the short/long term goals, you would be offered a new contract for new year (maybe even multiple years).  You could also get offers from other teams depending on how you did etc.  They could work F2 and the Driver Academies into it too!

Firstly, they could start you off with a season in F2 and you’d have a basic contract with certain performance goals, both short term and long term.  Then around mid season, based on your results, you’d get offers from driver academies.  Whichever one you pick would then set the goals for the rest of the season.  Then based on how well you do, at the end of the season, give you a 1 (or more up to say 3) year(s) contract to drive for one of the F1 teams.  Then during F1, there could be a possibility that your driver academy loans you out to another team for a season while somebody at the main team is waiting to retire or whatever.  They could even work the Rival system into it and have your driver academy pick a rival you go up against for the second half of the year and whoever does better gets a set at the main team.  I.e. You get a contract from Ferrari for 3 years and they first get you a drive at Alfa and your having a good season.  Say Kevin Magnussen is too at Haas.  So Ferrari then decides to put you up against K-Mag to pick a new partner for LeClerc because Vettel is going to retire at the end of the year. Say maybe you lose to K-Mag because the Haas was a better developed car that season but it was close so your status with Ferrari doesn’t drop that much.  So maybe then Ferrari decides to stick you in the Haas for a season and see how you fair at the top of the midfield.  Then you have a good year and K-Mag doesn’t so Ferrari decide to move you up for Season 3 and you then win the championship.

They could even take it further and tie in the rookie to veteran slider they have in game to the contracts offered to you after your first driver academy contract expires. Honestly I could go on forever how they could use they’re pre-existing systems they already have in place and beef them up a little bit and make the game a whole lot more immersive!  To tell the truth these are the type of scenarios I’ve been playing out in my head for a couple years now when I pick who my rivals will be and what teams I decide to switch to etc.  

Good post, good ideas. Guessing it took about 10 mins to write...

Impossible to see how codemasters could not come up with anywhere near as many good ideas in 2 years!!!

I know it’s not all that easy to make it work, but honestly it can’t be that hard either to do some of it...

I like 2019, i’m enjoying it... but there’s no way it’s been in development for 2 years. It’s a fun game, but there’s barely anything new in there, and the stuff that is new is half (actually way less than half) finished. There is room for so much more if they just had some creativity... actually they don’t even need that - they should just read the forums and use some of these ideas!

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, jrod22145 said:

Spot on! This is how career should be (near the real thing). The way it is now feels like a thought up thing "because we had to do something new". If you have the F1 license (and als F2 now), develop a game/sim that comes as near as the real thing.

The last half an hour I spend on this forum trying to get a feeling what the hardcore racers want and what occasionally racers want. I think I can sum it up as follows.
- Quality over Quantity.
- More immersive.
- Options/configuration that turns the 'game' in to a 'sim'.

Off course I do not know what the agreements are between CM and the FOM. Are CM required to release a new game annually (financially the best for CM, I get that)? Are CM competent to release DLC's/big patches instead of annually releases, to get quality over quantity?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, JackLane1982 said:

Are CM required to release a new game annually (financially the best for CM, I get that)?

They absolutely are. That's why F1 2014 exists.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanleyGoodspeed said:

this forum is full of ideas to pick from.. 😁

I'm not sure if it is. The best example is driver transfers. It's the most asked feature and now we have it and it sucks. The problem I see with user ideas is that they focus on a detail without looking at the entire picture and it just makes it easy for Codemasters: Just tack an idea from the forum on the previous game and everybody's happy. F1 2019 is a bit too much F1, the user idea edition. A lot of user ideas that sound great on paper just kill it for me.

I have so many ideas on how driver transfers should work but I clearly have no idea on how many resources it takes for Codemasters to implement them. I'm sure Codemasters themselves actually know even better than us how the driver transfers should work but they clearly don't have the resources to implement them like they should be implemented. Two years of development and a bigger team was used to create F1 2019 and still there's a lot that seems to have been rushed in to the game to get it out on time.

Maybe this is a good user idea: get an even bigger team? :classic_laugh: