Sign in to follow this  

Monaco - Ice and snow

Hello

Against better judgement, I just need to vent this out here:

Have the devs of this game ever diven a single meter on a snow and ice covered road with proper winter tires?

It doesn't feel like it, Monte Carlo should not be like Bambi on the ice, against contrary beliefs, theres is actually quite a lot of grip on ice and specialy snow, even on summer tires, and specially with studded winter tires. Yes it's more slippery than dry tarmac, but it is quite frippy, and you will normally get a gradual slip, much like on gravel. 

And before you start, I'm from Norway, I do know how it feels on snow and ice 🙂

There, rant over, phew, good to get it ofmy chest 🙂

Brilliant game Codies, and I mean it, it's imposible to get everything perfect, but you nearly got there....

• Agree 4

49 minutes ago, Auduns said:

Hello

Have the devs of this game ever diven a single meter on a snow and ice covered road with proper winter tires?

It doesn't feel like it, Monte Carlo should not be like Bambi on the ice, against contrary beliefs, theres is actually quite a lot of grip on ice and specialy snow, even on summer tires, and specially with studded winter tires. Yes it's more slippery than dry tarmac, but it is quite frippy, and you will normally get a gradual slip, much like on gravel. 

Brilliant game Codies, and I mean it, it's imposible to get everything perfect, but you nearly got there....

That's very interesting, especially this part - "there is actually quite a lot of grip on ice and specialy snow, even on summer tires" 😂 Are you serious? It sounds quite funny because on snow there is almost no grip from summer tires as they have no sips in it's grooves so the tire is not working at all. Not to mention much harder compund. There is a big difference even between snow tires - old ones and new ones and you can immediately feel it. 

I think that in game we have to choose between slick tires and winter tires with no studs so it will still be pretty slippery with those powerful cars. And trust me, I know a thing or two about this 😉

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Auduns said:

Hello

Im from sweden and agree 100% with this. The lack of grip on the snow frustrate me so much. When you drive a big chunk of the year on snow IRL, the handling in MC mess you up in the head 🙂  

Edited by mirk1983

@Auduns, I totally agree. Another Norwegian here. 😁 They have confused snow and white ice with black ice. Black ice is formed by rain that freezes as it lands on the ground or from melt water done by the sun that freezes because the ground is very cold. The tyres do not behave like in Monte Carlo in this game on normal ice and snow. Only on black ice.

@mirk1983, I’m living at 60 degrees north and it is approximately the same latitude as where rally Sweden is held: Have you noticed how much light there is at dusk/dawn and at night? The stages that starts at 00:17 seems like mid June, and not in february or there about. Last year we had +30 degrees celcius in eastern Norway in June. 😁 Even in the evening like 17:07 it is pitch black outside in the winter in Norway/Sweden, but in the game it looks like it is high noon. 😄

I've seen this discussion before and I'm open for debate, however I wonder:

The black ice you're talking about, is it something like this? I mean, they're having almost zero grip there, conditions I haven't remotely seen in DR2 Monte, even with soft tyres.

And the grip they're having in this video, to me it looks very similar to the grip I have in DR2 Monte with winter tyres, although it's snow only in this video and mostly ice in DR2 (if anything, I'm a little confused by how snow and ice feel exactly the same in DR2 Monte).

I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just that I don't seem to quite get what's so wrong about it, and I'd be grateful for anyone shedding light on this.

I'm from Germany and I very rarely get the chance to drive on actual snow, and even then I can hardly push my Astra before the ESP kicks in which can't be turned off (how am I supposed to go sideways through corners? What were they thinking?)

ok, so to the people claiming the ice is too slippery because studded tires behave like that, it's because the tires are just winter tires, not studded ones, because studded tires are pretty terrible if you're racing on tarmac. Sweden is where you can use studded tires in DR2. sure, winter tires have a lot of grip, but not so much when you're going 150km/h 😉

it was also claimed that even summer tires have better grip on snow and ice than the winter ones in DR2. and I'm from a part of the world where it's mandatory to have winter tires on your car from December through to the end of April. this is a ridiculous statement.

third, yes the times of day for Sweden compared to how much light there is are just completely hilarious

@DocStrangelove, it is called black ice because it looks like if the asphalt is wet, but it actually is ice from something we call «underkjølt regn» translated to «undercooled rain»/«unterkühlter Regen» if that makes sense? Black ice is extremely dangerous and we have these conditions several times during the winter. In your first video it looks like something similar, but the ice has probably been formed by the sun melting the snow to water which again has frozen to ice. In addition it looks like it has been snowing covering the ice, so no doubt there is almost zero grip. In DR2.0 this is how the game reacts. Problem is that the game works like that also when it is only snow as well, like in your second video. There is no difference between ice and snow in DR2.0, and evry little snow patch will make the car want to spin, and that’s not right, imho. I also did a timetrial just now in Col de Turini - Sprint en descent with the Renualt 5, first with winter tyres and then with soft tyres. The winter tyres had a slight advantage on ice (and snow), but on bare asphalt there was no differnence, so my conclusion is there is really no reason for choosing other tyres than winter tyres in MC. All in all, the game has simplyfied the winterconditions by not seperate the snow from the ice, and I think the tyre model in the game is also lacking. I guess these two aspects makes the game a little bit oversimplyfied for those of us who is living in these conditions. Not a gamebreaker, though, I still enjoy the game very much. 🙂

@ianism, I’m not going to claim one thing or another, but tyres and compund are complex science. How well a «summer» tyre works on the road depends on compound, treadpattern and lots of other stuff. Is it intermediate tyres? Slicks? Etc etc. In southern parts of Norway winter tyres are mandatory from November 1st until one week after Easter. When it comes to DR2.0 we should be able to pick between Winter tyres and studded winter tyres as well as the ordinary «soft» tyres when driving in Monte Carlo.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kjell007 said:

In DR2.0 this is how the game reacts. Problem is that the game works like that also when it is only snow as well, like in your second video.

But my point is that DR2 doesn't work like that at all. I've actually made a video of the worst conditions I can think of, Monte in the RGT 911 with soft tyres, and still I had MUCH more grip than the cars in that real life video (which I'm pretty sure didn't choose soft tarmac tyres).

And then, with winter tyres in a 240HP 1982 RWD car, I felt like I had a ton of grip, and again to me it seemed similar to those real life videos in snowy Monte (jump to 6:15 for the ice/snow parts). I don't know, should it be even more grippy than that?

Edited by DocStrangelove
  • Agree 1

@DocStrangelove, seeing those replays just confirms what I said earlier, imho. The gamemodel in DR2.O has simplyfied this aspect in a way that is very noticable for many of us. I also assume that you play the game like I do, with all driving aids turned off. The video with the Ascona, I experience the track mostly as snowy but dry - no black/blank ice in the wet as far as I can see. But I can agree that the sound indicates wet conditions which is a bit strange since visually it looks like dry snow swirls after the car and not slush or wet snow.