Career Mode - Lack of Racing Incidents

Posted (edited)

Has anyone else noticed a lack of racing incidents in comparison to last year's game? 

I drive 100% races with 89 AI and the only ever incidents listed on this year's game are retirements due to failures and maybe one or two collisions between AI (usually when Vettel/Hamilton are lapping a Williams). 

In last year's game I ran the same set up (100% and 89 AI) and there was a page full of racing incidents - Collisions, penalties, engine failures - literally about 20-30 of them a race and as I say on this year's there are only approximately 3 per race. 

I feel like this has an impact on the lack of safety car discussed in other threads. 

Edited by BuzzTics
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, BuzzTics said:

Has anyone else noticed a lack of racing incidents in comparison to last year's game? 

I drive 100% races with 89 AI and the only ever incidents listed on this year's game are retirements due to failures and maybe one or two collisions between AI (usually when Vettel/Hamilton are lapping a Williams). 

In last year's game I ran the same set up (100% and 89 AI) and there was a page full of racing incidents - Collisions, penalties, engine failures - literally about 20-30 of them a race and as I say on this year's there are only approximately 3 per race. 

I feel like this has an impact on the lack of safety car discussed in other threads. 

Yes, I notice that too, maybe this is the reason for the absence of the safety car?

Posted (edited)

Engine failures are dumb because they don t affect the player at all but i agree that some racing contacts would be a nice addition

Edited by frds2
  • Agree 5

noticed this too.

i´m through 3/4 of first season in carreer mode, 50% length and mostly 85 - 90 diff.. Had only one big accident of the AI with sc deployed and mostly one guy retiring from race.

Simply needs more accidents to get a good imersion, probably a little scripting?! would be ok for me!

• Agree 1

I play F1 since the 2016 title and I have NEVER witnessed a terminal racing incident between AI cars. N E V E R.

It's nonsense, plus I have never seen incidents during race start which is a thing that happens lots of times, no safety car in the first lap or yellow flags. It is totally unrealistic and it really kills immersion. Such a shame. 

• Agree 5

Posted (edited)

On the other hand i have seen cars getting disqualified on the installation lap lol

Edited by frds2
  • Haha 1

On the other hand i have seen cars getting disqualified on the installation lap lol

but this just happened in 2018, never saw this in 2019

True, AI never shots themselves out of the track -.- this I also recognize so if this happens to me I am the only dude in the complete grid who gets off the track. Further, could it be that the AI is cheating when they hit each other? I had Perez flying by after racestart, first corner, he was late on the brakes took over 4-5 cars, hit in the corner another car in the side with his frontwing, queued back in with a nice race pace -.-  

Think its simply the AI are much cleaner and cautious with each other, 2018 they brought out the amazing new aggressive fighting AI that were battle ready, the AI are still very good in 2019 but a bit more docile in 2019, the only issue I've had with 2019 AI collisions is myself vs AI on the inside they will always tap your wheels regardless how tight in you are to the curb. Too many people complained that 2018 was too aggressive I feel. Sad times for such a huge step forward. Though still far better than 2017 and back. 

I've nearly completed 1 season and I'm yet to see a SC or a VSC phase. nearly every race one AI car pulls off with a mechanical issue and after a yellow flag for one lap it's gone, excitement over. 

I guess I could try to cause a pile up that might bring out the SC, but that would defeat the object...! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rinehart27 said:

I've nearly completed 1 season and I'm yet to see a SC or a VSC phase. nearly every race one AI car pulls off with a mechanical issue and after a yellow flag for one lap it's gone, excitement over. 

I guess I could try to cause a pile up that might bring out the SC, but that would defeat the object...! 

Can confirm safety car does come out for extreme weather. But for retirements it won’t, unless you use a flashback right after.

Can confirm safety car does come out for extreme weather. But for retirements it won’t, unless you use a flashback right after.

I cannot confirm, I switched it on in Austria, since then it appeared in every race once, Austria, Silverstone & Germany - always after a retirement from a car near the track.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2019 at 4:14 PM, BuzzTics said:

The only incidents I've seen are caused by scripted events (the usual quadruple lock-up), wonky behavior interactions when multiple AIs go side by side (4 into a corner, or hitting the wall because there's not enough room, or things like the AI on the left side swerving a bit and accelerating slowly out of the final chicane in Canada and slowing down the other car as well), or the AI simply ignoring me when I'm alongside them and have the line (which seems to be new to this game, complete with them continuing to turn into me as though I didn't exist). Totally robotic and not at all organic, with any out-of-the-ordinary behavior simply being the result of poor behavioral implementations. They still get warnings and the like, and honestly I've seen no real difference from 2018 besides the AI-ignoring-you issue, but again, it's nothing like the kind of racing you would see IRL.

Tested on various difficulties between 101 and 110%, also in 100% races.

Maybe a little off topic but I have noticed that brake-testing Ai ooponents just doesn't work. For example, even if you are on a straight, in front -very close- to another car and suddenly hit the brakes on the middle of the straight, the car behind never hits you, the AI is magically able to predict your random behaviour and act accordingly to avoid an accident. Now, am I saying I need to brake test people or I want to brake suddenly in the middle of every straight? No, I am not, but if we are talking about accidents-realism etc.. I thought to throw this in here.

• Like 1

I think the issue is that AI race as if they were on rails. They’ll lock up a bit, but that’s about it. Since 2018, I’ve never come across AI spinning out, or wrecking. It’s always just component failure. They’re too damn perfect. This needs to change, be more realistic. 

• Agree 1

If every ai driver uses exactly the same ai routine then they would never crash as they would always known exactly what every other car was doing all the time. Each ai driver should have his own special routine that reflects the real drivers racing style. Once the ai were independent of each other you would see much more unpredictability and racing incidents. Of course then it might also be possible they there would be a wreck every lap! 

• Like 1

I'm up to Silverstone in Season 2 and yet to see a SC or VSC, so this is quite blatantly pathetic! 

I saw a massive shunt in my rear view mirror during the first lap in Canada which took about 5 cars out, bouncing off the walls at the turn 3/4... if that's doesn't trigger it, dunno what will. Amazingly in the Race Director page, no DNF's for that shunt! I have full damage and SC on so I guess the probability is just set way too low. 

• Agree 2

Ai do sometimes lockup’s but never miss an apex or running wide. They are perfect and make no mistakes and have tremendous traction power on corner exit!

• Agree 2

I don't need big mistakes or accidents from AI. But it would be great if we would see more small mistakes. Big lockups, missing the apex, missing a corner and take the escape route, too much wheel slide on corner exit, small accidents where they loose a bit of their wing etc.

Especially on race starts there should be more possibilities to make mistakes and in the wet there should be even more of them. Until now the AI drives like robots. Would be great to see an opponent which looses 2 sec due to a missed corner and you see your advantage to push even more.

• Agree 3

An aggression slider might work wonders, it's like they are set real low against each other but higher against the player, which doesnt make sense. In project cars if you set the ai to higher aggression you often see them hustling each other ahead of you and sometimes this leads to off track moments or spins. It also has some negative results too like blatant cheating too such as cutting a chicane to pass you! In fact that ai is reminiscent of the online play when dialed up! 

Realistic and believable ai would be a huge selling point for a future game I'm sure. Particularly if it was possible for individual ai drivers to remember incidents against each other and the player which carried forward between weekends. Imagine a driver mistake forcing an ai off track and making them pit for damage and then when lapping them later they cynically take the player out in retaliaton. That would be awesome IMO and encourage the player not to treat the ai like robots with the memory of goldfish, which they are now in most racing games.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2019 at 6:54 PM, sloppysmusic said:

If every ai driver uses exactly the same ai routine then they would never crash as they would always known exactly what every other car was doing all the time. Each ai driver should have his own special routine that reflects the real drivers racing style. Once the ai were independent of each other you would see much more unpredictability and racing incidents. Of course then it might also be possible they there would be a wreck every lap! 

The best AI I ever raced with was GP3/4 like 20 years ago!! They made mistakes, crashed into each other and so many DIFFERENT failures!! How are we now going backwards? Someone should give Geoff Crammond a call...

Edited by johnboy83
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnboy83 said:

Someone should give Geoff Crammond a call...

Definitely. This game had everything we want today with far less powerful computers!

Is this man still alive? Please give him a call.

Just now, philappleraily said:

Definitely. This game had everything we want today with far less powerful computers!

EXACTLY!!!! And even consoles nowadays would be more powerful than the best PCs from back then! I just can’t fathom how a game that is 20+ years old, still has so many better qualities that the current F1 games. The modern ones do have their advantages as I seem to remember the GP’s very limited in terms of actual game modes it was single race or championship and that was it!

3 hours ago, johnboy83 said:

EXACTLY!!!! And even consoles nowadays would be more powerful than the best PCs from back then! I just can’t fathom how a game that is 20+ years old, still has so many better qualities that the current F1 games. The modern ones do have their advantages as I seem to remember the GP’s very limited in terms of actual game modes it was single race or championship and that was it!

Well it's always easy to look back and say these kind of things, but if that game would've released now, it would've probably sold terribly and considered clunky and such. Well we won't know that as we sadly don't have access to other worlds in which this could be possible 😛 

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

Well it's always easy to look back and say these kind of things, but if that game would've released now, it would've probably sold terribly and considered clunky and such. Well we won't know that as we sadly don't have access to other worlds in which this could be possible 😛 

Indeed. It’s just such a shame that it feels as though things have gone backwards since then. I mentioned on another post that even a game I had for the SNES had red flags!! Where are they now?

3 hours ago, UP100 said:

Well you could buy the oldest pc you could find for maybe $5 and play it! 

90% of games today are all hi res and detail gfx **** you can't really even see when driving fast. People are unlocking hidden classic tracks in gt5 and loving them... Sometimes with no scenery at all! 

At some point we need to go back to what makes games actually good for long term. Gfx it ain't cos in 5 years current gfx will look **** anyway! 

We need to use out imaginations more, which is possible with a great in depth game that doesn't give you time to stop and say oh that helmet looks good. Nice tires.etc etc 

If I could get my G29 to work with the Geoff crammond games I'd be playing now! With a friend taking turns of course... Another long lost coop mode...