Sign in to follow this  

Credit where credit is due!

Posted (edited)

People know me for being hard on Codemasters because of not improving in areas which we customers have been begging for, for example new features or HUD options but this time I want to show that I also applaud them for the good things they have done so far. I‘m always trying to be constructive in my criticism because I want to help make the game the best it can be. So this time I just want to share the good things I have experienced.

I just finished my first Grand Prix weekend (because I waited for patch 1.05 to drop) before starting my career and here are the things I‘d like to mention in a positive manner:

• the whole race was fun and I was fighting with lots of other drivers throughout the race. Race pace was good for the most part for all drivers and nothing strange happened. The handling really has improved since 1.04 and it is almost perfect now IMO. Good job for changing that, Codemasters. 
  • I had three cars retiring (Magnussen, Sainz and Vettel) due to mechanical failures which is nice to see because in F1 2018 I thought there were too few DNF‘s occuring. 2-5 car retirements have to happen on each race weekend since this seems to be the norm. 
  • I even had the safety car come out after Sainz retired (without using the flashback workaround) which was fun and nothing too strange happened. Some cars benefitted from the safety car as they directly went to the pit lane to change their tyres. Other drivers became victims which shook up the order but this is how it is in real life, too. Good job Codemasters for that. I hope it wasn‘t just a „once in a lifetime“ lucky moment for me.
  • The highlight reel at the end was really a pleasure. It mostly showed my most important moments including the race start and some fights with Verstappen, Leclerc and Magnussen. I really enjoyed it and it was 2:10 minutes long (I‘m doing 100% races) and it ended with me driving to the side of the finishing straight to celebrate with my team. That was a nice touch (I really drove to the right side where the wall of the pit lane is when approaching the chequered flag and they included it in the highlight reel. Good job, Codemasters. I hope the highlight replays stay that long and entertaining throughout my career.
  • Performance on PS4 Pro was good for the whole race (no stuttering or crazy framerate drops).
  • AI fighted each other and attacked in good fashion (no crazy moves or non-overtaking/car trains because of slower cars in front)
  • Crowd was clapping their hands and applauding me when I overtook Verstappen (nice little feature, adds to atmosphere)

So overall a real good and fun experience! However there are still the things I want improved in the game to make it even more fun and better overall:

• Make HUD customizable for us (display the whole grid with constant gaps and driver name abbreviations)
  • give us the option to disable midseason driver transfers (it‘s an immersion killer for me if for example Verstappen leaves Red Bull to join McLaren or Hamilton leaving Mercedes to go to Red Bull). It can happen after a season, I‘m fine with that, but please not midseason
  • Scale back the rain chance. It‘s raining too often and it should at a maximum happen in 3-4 of 21 races.
  • Development of other teams‘ cars in one single season is too overpowered.
  • Implement spectator mode HUD in race replays
  • Team sponsor templates on career helmet would be nice, especially with drivers changing teams.

That‘s it. Just wanted to share that and hopefully the dev team is working on improving the game for us on a consistent basis. 👍

Edited by AllenB2609
  • Agree 7

I generally agree with everything your saying however for me personally, the fact that the ai retire in a races and you cant, really ruins career mode for me and can spoil championship battles with other drivers. I think a great addition they could hopefully add in this years game would be to add an option to turn off ai retirements. In future editions of f1 I would like to see an option where you can turn on or off player retirements.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Finja482 said:

I generally agree with everything your saying however for me personally, the fact that the ai retire in a races and you cant, really ruins career mode for me and can spoil championship battles with other drivers. I think a great addition they could hopefully add in this years game would be to add an option to turn off ai retirements. In future editions of f1 I would like to see an option where you can turn on or off player retirements.

Yep, that‘s another good point. It would be nice if mechanical failures would also happen to players from time to time, not only AI cars.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Yep, that‘s another good point. It would be nice if mechanical failures would also happen to players from time to time, not only AI cars.

the only "mechanical" issue I had so far was the gearbox, that you stuck in gears, kind of a good reason to stop the car (it happened to me in Monaco) besides this, are there no other mechanical events to the players car?

52 minutes ago, svensenk86 said:

the only "mechanical" issue I had so far was the gearbox, that you stuck in gears, kind of a good reason to stop the car (it happened to me in Monaco) besides this, are there no other mechanical events to the players car?

You can have similar minor failures happen with other parts too, similar to the turbo failure from the first F2 scenario. It's much more rare because most people have problems with the gearbox wear and not so much with the engine components.

• Agree 1

On 7/22/2019 at 2:49 AM, Coffer said:

You can have similar minor failures happen with other parts too, similar to the turbo failure from the first F2 scenario. It's much more rare because most people have problems with the gearbox wear and not so much with the engine components.

I -respectfully- think that a lot of people have problems with gearbox because they don't really know how to downshift and let the revs go crazy high every downshift. I had to learn it myself. Regarding user's engine/mechanical failures, it's true, we don't get those like other drivers do, but on the other side people complain massively for being held in the pit too long...I think those things kinda create a balance..

Dunno, just random thoughts.. :) 

• Agree 1