One Aspect in Which RBR Has Yet to be Surpassed...

Posted (edited)

... Replays. The movement and zooms simulating a hand-operated TV camera, plus the low-to-the-ground positioning, made that game's replays the most visceral and exciting ever made, imho.

I'm not bagging DR2.0 (replays are very good overall), but anyhow take a look at the below video for what I mean:

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 8

This is what the community have been asking since DR1 and it was partially fulfilled in DR2. But imo it could use an improvement.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Other things that RBR had that I miss from Dirt Rally series:

- animations of spectators running away from your car and helping you back on track

- chance of precipitation that wasn't always clear cut (you had to take a guess sometimes)

- proper rally school

- obviously, more unforgiving damage model and better tarmac handling. 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

It's incredible what RBR accomplished in 2004, fifteen years ago.  I also love the density of vegetation in that stage, and the game's photographic textures and natural colour palette.

I'm playing DR2.0 and watching the replay in Wales, and really it's perfectly fine. The cameras here seem lower to the ground than some other stages, and that's possibly because there's a lack of anchor points on those other stages at ground level.

It's a miracle we have this game, long live DR2.0!!

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 4

For me the best replays are in the German stages. Best good camera postions on the forest serpentine with the hairpins, and at the airfield (where the Tornado jet was in DR1). Wales is OK too but for me Germany and Monte Carlo are the best looking locations.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, redriot77 said:

For me the best replays are in the German stages. Best good camera postions on the forest serpentine with the hairpins, and at the airfield (where the Tornado jet was in DR1). Wales is OK too but for me Germany and Monte Carlo are the best looking locations.

partly because Germany is totally flat with few trees so you can stick the cameras anywhere. and Monte Carlo is on a mountain so yah.

Argentina is also amazing for the same reason as MC i think.

• Thanks 1

it hasnt aged well sounds like my arse after a hot curry :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

On 7/24/2019 at 4:23 AM, Jake Cushing said:

I also love the density of vegetation in that stage, and the game's photographic textures and natural colour palette.

I'd be interested to see what a similar type of environment would look like in DR2, with its much more advanced foliage modelling (i.e. no obvious cardboard cutouts). I think something like that is missing in DR2 – the dense, verdant foliage, and the narrow, twisty roads.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, caerphoto said:

I'd be interested to see what a similar type of environment would look like in DR2, with its much more advanced foliage modelling (i.e. no obvious cardboard cutouts). I think something like that is missing in DR2 – the dense, verdant foliage, and the narrow, twisty roads.

Oh my, such a Japan rally in DR2.0 would be the mother of all joys...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, caerphoto said:

uh, New Zealand.

Japan would be great though!

• Thanks 1

japan is probably one of my most wanted dirt rally events. loved it in colin mcrae 3

4 hours ago, ianism said:

uh, New Zealand.

Japan would be great though!

NZ is close, but it doesn't feel quite the same. The road is more delineated and 'separated' from the foliage. I actually prefer the look of Japan in RBR at any rate, if you disregard the extra tech and effects NZ has to its disposal in DR2.0.

It highlights how RBR had a more natural sort of look, vs DR2.0 looking frequently more 'drawn' and, well, 'gamey' I suppose. Not always, as Wales shows.

1 hour ago, Jake Cushing said:

It highlights how RBR had a more natural sort of look, vs DR2.0 looking frequently more 'drawn' and, well, 'gamey' I suppose. Not always, as Wales shows.

nah, this is 100% opinion, and arguably your nostalgia kicking in.

the lighting in NZ is excellent (sure it is generally prettier than real life), and the dense foliage looks very similar to the real stage.

Image result for rally new zealand trees

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianism said:

the lighting in NZ is excellent (sure it is generally prettier than real life), and the dense foliage looks very similar to the real stage.

1 hour ago, ianism said:

nah, this is 100% opinion

Posted (edited)

Nobody could argue the lighting is not orders of magnitude superior.

And playing again through NZ in the rain, I do acknowledge it's more subtle and textures and objects are much more complex. It's pretty saturated in normal light, but that's the look of a lot of the game.

That Japan stage has a different 'feel' to it I guess - would be great to get a fully lush environment like that, as opposed to the partial lush of NZ.

Edited by Jake Cushing