Sign in to follow this  

F1 Tips & Tricks

Having only come into the Franchise for the tail end of the F1 2017 game, skipping 2018 and now hitting the ground running on F1 2019 - I am at best a complete newbie, however i'm picking up bits & bobs but wanted to know what tips and hints/tricks you would give to New F1 players? No matter how obvious you think what advice would you give to someone just coming into the Franchise?

Thanks Phil - Any other tips they dont use in these "5 NEW TIPS FOR PLAYERS" guides? I heard switching to Lean fuel helps cornering in the rain

2 hours ago, mRfLoZe said:

Thanks Phil - Any other tips they dont use in these "5 NEW TIPS FOR PLAYERS" guides? I heard switching to Lean fuel helps cornering in the rain

Are you a wheel user or pad user? ..... because that can depend on how heavy your foot is on the throttle 🙂

3 hours ago, bluwaters said:

Are you a wheel user or pad user? ..... because that can depend on how heavy your foot is on the throttle 🙂

I'm a dirty pad user buddy xD

• Haha 1

I've also read that this year your engine temp is a lot more important than previous years.  As in you can't run in Rich for too long as you engine will overheat and you'll start losing power.  Similarly, you can't run in Lean for too long as your engine will go cold.  When it's cold you can't recover as much energy for ERS.

I've found this year it's harder to manage ERS.  You seem to regen it much slower than last year. So I end up using lower modes more often now.  However you can also pressure someone into using too much ERS while you save it sitting in their wake.....then cruise past the as they take 3 laps to recover.

On tracks that use harder compounds/longer tracks, I'll use Lean for the initial jump off the line at the start.  Then up to Standard and Rich.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ferrethead81 said:

I've also read that this year your engine temp is a lot more important than previous years.  As in you can't run in Rich for too long as you engine will overheat and you'll start losing power.  Similarly, you can't run in Lean for too long as your engine will go cold.  When it's cold you can't recover as much energy for ERS.

Interesting! Where have you read that?

• Like 1

Do you guys have ERS on manual then? I can just about manage switching fuel around during the race let alone ERS - Some great insight there @Ferrethead81

48 minutes ago, mRfLoZe said:

Do you guys have ERS on manual then? I can just about manage switching fuel around during the race let alone ERS - Some great insight there @Ferrethead81

Yes, manual ERS is crucial if you want to be able to attack and defend properly. Are you on pad or wheel? Either way, I recommend unbinding the camera and replay/flashback buttons in the controller settings. Both functions are available from the pause menu anyway, so that's two buttons that are much better used for setting the ERS up/down shortcuts. Avoids having to navigate the MFD menu all the time while driving! 

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Once you get comfortable with your settings @mRfLoZe for the controller/pad and you start working on set-ups. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT work on your set's in Time Trails 'TT's' You'll run into problems if you use the set-up with the multiplayer car. In the TT's the tires stay at one temperature 212*F/100*C. You're tires will over heat quickly. I've been working on set-ups in multiplayer lobbies, ranked. I've spent most of the time in a private un-ranked lobby running against the AI.    

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, KrazyLurt said:

Interesting! Where have you read that?

It's crazy the little things you find out isnt it !!  Being relatively new to the franchise I find im learning all the time.

also thanks @Striker_703 and @Worntoathread  - they are pretty big insights !!! See you dont get any of these things in the whole "Top 5 must do things in F1 2019" 1. Slow down into a corner and fast....

Would you agree that to use ERS effectively you change it down prior to hitting a corner and turn it up when you want to overtake say on a straight? I want to use it manually, however dont want it to take up too much of my concentration as im fiddling with fuel settings lol

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Striker_703 see most of my races I do are either quick 5 lappers or 25% ones - I dont feel that engine/tyre wear really is a think at that short sprint? What do you think?

Just now, mRfLoZe said:

@Striker_703 see most of my races I do are either quick 5 lappers or 25% ones - I dont feel that engine/tyre wear really is a think at that short sprint? What do you think?

Tyre and engine wear rates are scaled to race length from 25% upwards, so the shorter the length the faster they wear. 

• Agree 2

On 7/22/2019 at 9:04 PM, Striker_703 said:

Once you get comfortable with your settings @mRfLoZe for the controller/pad and you start working on set-ups. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT work on your set's in Time Trails 'TT's' You'll run into problems if you use the set-up with the multiplayer car. In the TT's the tires stay at one temperature 212*F/100*C. You're tires will over heat quickly. I've been working on set-ups in multiplayer lobbies, ranked. I've spent most of the time in a private un-ranked lobby running against the AI.    

Aside from camber and toe, what else are you adjusting? 

I understand tuning in more games, but this one seems to have no rhyme or reason behind most of it.

2 hours ago, Worntoathread said:

Tyre and engine wear rates are scaled to race length from 25% upwards, so the shorter the length the faster they wear. 

See, now thats what I thought but my soft tyres will last 13 laps before I start to notice any real grip going or time dropping? or is it just my nubile eye not picking up that im losing out somewhere else?

On 7/23/2019 at 2:30 AM, Worntoathread said:

Yes, manual ERS is crucial if you want to be able to attack and defend properly. Are you on pad or wheel? Either way, I recommend unbinding the camera and replay/flashback buttons in the controller settings. Both functions are available from the pause menu anyway, so that's two buttons that are much better used for setting the ERS up/down shortcuts. Avoids having to navigate the MFD menu all the time while driving! 

If useing xbox controller try the look around stick on right side of joypab its so much easier useing the analogue stick for mfd . The only downside is you cant look back if mfd open on one of the pages were change fuel or tyres and wing but if on tyre wear page can use it I found it so much easier for me self 

I'm going to spend this weekend changing my ERS and Fuel to other areas on the pad I think...I can't be dealing with the MFD 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mRfLoZe said:

I'm going to spend this weekend changing my ERS and Fuel to other areas on the pad I think...I can't be dealing with the MFD 

Are you on PS4? If so, try L1 and R1 for ERS; that way you can easily cycle through modes even mid-corner. Fuel mix I've set to the right stick, left and right. Found that more useful than looking sideways 😉

Another tip: If you do Full Qualifying and reach Q3 and you have an unused set of softs from Q1 or Q2, the game will automatically equip that set instead of the extra Q3 set and you won't have any fresh Softs for the race. This is more noticeable when you select the "Balanced" tyre set in the Weekend Tyre Allocation. So when you reach Q3 go to the tyre select menu on the screen and select the last set of Softs which is the extra Q3 set.

• Agree 2