AI in the wet - all circuits

12 minutes ago, sjsharp2010 said:

Yeah I'm thinking if I end up with a wet session I'll just drop the AI down 5 points to give myself a bit more of a chance of fighting them.

Yeah that works well , and is a easy thing to do. 👍

Where it’s an real issue with the AI being OP in Baku levels is changeable conditions (Dry-wet or vice versa).

13 hours ago, KrazyLurt said:

Yeah that works well , and is a easy thing to do. 👍

Where it’s an real issue with the AI being OP in Baku levels is changeable conditions (Dry-wet or vice versa).

I don't think it's jus the AI that are screwed I think it's possible that the Practice programs are as well as I seem to be struggling to meet them in the wet and usually I find them easier

• Agree 1

In canada 3rd place in qualy. During race i was 3rd after 15 laps rain. I lost 3 sec for lap. 

Wheel T150

No assists

AI 90%

Posted (edited)

Just finished a Brazil career mode race. Struggled to qualify (intermediate wet) p18 in the 4th fastest car, finished the race p8 with the 6th fastest lap time, in the dry... not sure if it’s just me, but I could not keep up with the pace in qualifying in intermediate rain conditions. 

I was on xbox w/ thrustmaster tx

no assists, ai 103, 1-shot quali

Edited by dpbowie
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, just had this in Brazil qualifying. Over 2 seconds slower than everyone else. Silly.

Has this mainly started due to the latest patch?

This is honestly a joke now. 1.5 seconds to the nearest car is slightly embarrassing in Q3. Hope they balance this out along with bringing back online championships.

6 hours ago, TomAAA said:

Has this mainly started due to the latest patch?

Yes since 1.06 patch.

Im still on v1.05 on Xbox, still no update to v1.06 so far, it seems to take ages getting patches on xbox, but that's maybe a good thing right now then

• Agree 1

I think the main problems I face are in Gears 4 to 5 and 5 to 6 where I get destroyed by the AI in terms of traction. It takes way too long for revs to build up in these gears which is why the AI always get a strong exit.

5 hours ago, kamsufc said:

I think the main problems I face are in Gears 4 to 5 and 5 to 6 where I get destroyed by the AI in terms of traction. It takes way too long for revs to build up in these gears which is why the AI always get a strong exit.

Thats the biggest problem in the rain, 4th gear is awful... i tried everything to solve the lack of acceleration... but no success.

In Singapore, I lost 4~6 car lenghts every time... then the track dried and I was competitive (in lap times only, because I was way behind)

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:12 PM, Ferrethead81 said:

If I could ask Codies to fix one thing it would be the consistency of the AI.  I mean come on.  Surely they have all sorts of data showing how most people are getting eaten alive at Bahrain and Baku by the AI, while carving up at other tracks like Canada.  Yet every single year it's exactly the same complaints seen here on these forums.  

Or maybe they don't have the data?  I think it'd be useful if a lot of people would post up what AI settings they use on each track to level things out, or something to quantify the difference in AI from track to track.  I started a thread, AI Difficulty Settings Track to Track, with this in mind.

On 7/28/2019 at 11:08 AM, Dmayne7 said:

Yeah, just had this in Brazil qualifying. Over 2 seconds slower than everyone else. Silly.

Yes I think so but it could have been with 1.05 as that's when the AI were changed.

On 7/23/2019 at 4:27 AM, Andrew210227 said:

USA is tricky but not too bad. Over 1 lap it was OK but full race distance I couldn’t quite keep up on my regular difficulty. Close to a second too slow. May have something to do with it being my least favorite track though and I lost interest soon and crashed out.

Based on full wet only by the way.

This just happened exactly the same for me too.

Battling with the top 3 for most of the race, then the rain came, then the AI blew past me.  I also lost interest and crashed out 😖

(@Faya,  Logitech G29,  No Assists,  Cockpit View,  100% Distance,  AI Difficulty set at 60).

4 hours ago, stephen31416 said:

Or maybe they don't have the data?  I think it'd be useful if a lot of people would post up what AI settings they use on each track to level things out, or something to quantify the difference in AI from track to track.  I started a thread, AI Difficulty Settings Track to Track, with this in mind.

Yeah that's probably fair.  My assumption that they have the data is based on things they've said about the data they have on Time trial for all players.  Career is probably not recorded I guess not being online.  

For me, I race at AI 107 in career normally, but knock it down to 105 at Bahrain and Baku.  I got chewed up at China recently, but I accept that I'm just not that great at that track.  On 107 I'll just beat, or be within a couple of tenths of my AI team mate.  At Bahrain I'll be 0.7-1.0 seconds behind.  

18 hours ago, Ferrethead81 said:

Yeah that's probably fair.

On further reflection maybe they will have better data soon -- with the ELO ranking system they ought to be able to tell what kind of times comparably ranked drivers put up on every circuit.  That would be a pretty good starting place for balancing the AI.

Finally happened to me in China. Race started dry but turned wet within 4 laps, and immediately the AI started to crush me. Them being over a second faster in the final sector very strongly seems to point to them having excellent traction.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:01 PM, Faya said:

Hi all and thanks for the feedback.

Could you let us know if you're using wheels or pads and what assists you are using, if any? Thanks! 

Edit: Can you let me know what level AI you're using as well, please! Thanks!

In list form:

• Wheel or Pad?
  • Any Assists?
  • AI Level

I use the Pad on PS4 PRo. Version 1.06

Assists are full traction control, anti lock on.

AI Level is 55.

Had a quali in Canada where I was over 2 seconds slower than the AI, and yet in the dry practices and the race was able to keep up, and race against the AI. 

Also had a wet practice session and no matter what I did, I could not get green timings for the practice programs at all, not matter what, was like the timings being used for the practice programs was still for dry laps. Would be like 4 seconds down by the end of the lap. 

Glad to know this maybe due to a unexpected glitch in the game. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Faya

Same issue for me. Fairly competitive in the dry, but once it starts to rain AI seems to be much stronger. About 2-3 seconds difference, happened in Canada and France. Haven't tested other tracks. Traction out of corners seem fine or fairly even with the AI, but I feel like in the corners they close in so much and have a lot more grip.

I drive with 105% AI, Thrustmaster TX and no assists.

Edited by BadanieLuck

Posted (edited)

My problem isn't really the skill of the AI, it's the fact that the driving line is utter garbage. I'm currently on Baku on my second season with Toro Rosso. Through R&D, I have the 3rd fastest car in the field. I qualified 20th by over a second on 80 difficulty. I'm also 2nd in the driver's championship. I don't know if it's from the TCS or ABS that I use (please don't flame me, just trying to have fun) but I have to break 50 feet before the driving line in order to make a turn, otherwise I end up in the wall with the wheel at full tilt. The AI may be overpowered, but I haven't been able to find out because I can't drive with a line that doesn't work. If it matters, I am playing on Windows using a Xbox elite controller.

I should also add that this problem isn't restricted to Baku. It has happened in every race I have done in the rain (about 4 of them in my first season).

Edited by Logan42325443

1 hour ago, Logan42325443 said:

My problem isn't really the skill of the AI, it's the fact that the driving line is utter garbage. I'm currently on Baku on my second season with Toro Rosso. Through R&D, I have the 3rd fastest car in the field. I qualified 20th by over a second on 80 difficulty. I'm also 2nd in the driver's championship. I don't know if it's from the TCS or ABS that I use (please don't flame me, just trying to have fun) but I have to break 50 feet before the driving line in order to make a turn, otherwise I end up in the wall with the wheel at full tilt. The AI may be overpowered, but I haven't been able to find out because I can't drive with a line that doesn't work. If it matters, I am playing on Windows using a Xbox elite controller.

I should also add that this problem isn't restricted to Baku. It has happened in every race I have done in the rain (about 4 of them in my first season).

The AI uses ABS too, so don't worry too much about that. Go into a replay and use some sort of track marker to figure out where they're braking, then try to emulate what they did. If you miss the corner, odds are it's indeed because the AI are bugged, as when it happens it usually reflects through them having simply too much grip.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Coffer said:

The AI uses ABS too, so don't worry too much about that. Go into a replay and use some sort of track marker to figure out where they're braking, then try to emulate what they did. If you miss the corner, odds are it's indeed because the AI are bugged, as when it happens it usually reflects through them having simply too much grip.

That's what I've had to do in order to complete the races. I try to race without flashbacks, but as soon as I see rain on the forecast, I have to turn it back on so that I can actually finish the weekend. I'm not certain that the AI are bugged, but the driving line itself definitely is. I just finished Baku in the rain. Coming out of the pits I held the brakes and it was not possible to make T1 without hitting the wall or going into the runoff. A bit ridiculous truth be told. It may be that the automated driving isn't calibrated for slicks in damp conditions (very light rain, everybody was still running slicks).

Also, as long as I brake where the AI do, I'm fine. That doesn't help me in quali though 😕

Edited by Logan42325443

I found AI seem faster in career.

In Championship and grand Prix I seem to get better times and better face fights

I don't think the AI is that op in the rain. Yes they are quicker but isn't that what everyone wanted. Just practice more and you'll be up to speed. 

The problem I'm seeing is the transition from dry to wet or wet to dry. They are extremely quick in that situation for a few laps and it's extremely hard to keep up with them. 

Sorry but no. The AI is op in the rain and don't throw 'get good' at me. Difficulty is the problem and there's a reason why there is a number that lets us change it. 

The new patch hasn't fixed this either though I'm not surprised. I mean a little inconsistency from circuit to circuit I can adapt to with memory, I know which ones the AI is good on and can change the difficulty accordingly. It's not ideal but I can 'fix' this myself. This however, I cannot. For as long as there are changing conditions I can't do anything. 

In the new patch on Canada in my career in season 1 (I stopped my main career until this problem was fixed) I was in the Williams on 90 difficulty. No upgrades yet, I max out the efficiency first. Anyway, point is I qualify 14th. Not too bad, I mean a little above average, usually Im around 17th/18th but I can accept some variance. Problem 1, as soon as the race starts everyone is significantly slower for some reason. I mean, REALLY slow. I'm catching the top three teams and am second before rain falls on lap 17-18. 

Needless to say it all goes to hell after that. Running second over 8 seconds ahead of Weber in the Alfa (the top teams pitted earlier for new softs but I still got past all of them on track except for Hamilton) and I'm losing over a second a lap to Weber. I quit by lap 40 because I'm just too frustrated with the inconsistency at this point. I can't change the difficulty mid race, I can only 'guess' at where it should be in light of changing conditions but considering I qualified 14th and then was running second on merit and then was lapping slower than my team mate in 18th by the end of it? No. This is an unplayable, broken mess and 100% needs to be fixed before I'm touching it again. 

• Agree 2