AI in the wet - all circuits

Posted (edited)

Hi there,

It seems AI is not correctly balanced in the rain. Before it was slow, not it's OP. In Baku is messed up but it's not happening in every track. What do you think about keeping a list of the tracks to help people (and myself) to skip races in career mode? 

AI Balance (wet)

Australia
Bahrain - AI too fast
China -
Azerbaijan - AI too fast
Spain - AI too fast
Monaco - AI OK
Canada - AI too fast
France - AI too fast
Austria
Great Britain - AI OK
Germany - AI too fast
Hungary
Belgium - AI OK
Italy
Singapore - AI too fast
Russia
Japan - AI OK
Mexico
United States - AI too fast
Brazil - AI too fast
Abu Dhabi - AI too fast

Cheers

Edited by joserdcosta
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah I had a problem with AI in Baku too. But in Monaco I was able to keep up with Vettel and fight with him for 3rd place though I race with Alfa Romeo. 

Edited by itsayoke420
  • Thanks 1

USA is tricky but not too bad. Over 1 lap it was OK but full race distance I couldn’t quite keep up on my regular difficulty. Close to a second too slow. May have something to do with it being my least favorite track though and I lost interest soon and crashed out.

Based on full wet only by the way.

• Thanks 1

If I could ask Codies to fix one thing it would be the consistency of the AI.  I mean come on.  Surely they have all sorts of data showing how most people are getting eaten alive at Bahrain and Baku by the AI, while carving up at other tracks like Canada.  Yet every single year it's exactly the same complaints seen here on these forums. 

They also shouldn't be making the AI faster by making their cars god tier in horsepower so they blow right past you on the straight only so you can over take them again on a corner.  Would be much better if the higher levels of AI just got a little more downforce or something.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

I had a feeling they were gonna make the AI way OP with the patch again.

Before 1.05 I always finished between 2nd and 5th/6th in the wet in my Haas on 103% AI (full race distance). Now in my second season with Alfa as soon as it rains I'm screwed. In Hockenheim I was about 6-7 seconds ahead of my teammate, quite comfortably pulling away each lap by a few tenths. Then it started to rain and he was over a second per lap faster. As I'm typing this I'm racing at Spa. I was in P9 when it started to rain. Now the AI is about 2.5 to 3 seconds per lap faster than me. So frustrating. I know I'm not the best driver but I'm sure a lot of players now have this problem. At least before 1.05 I could role play this and imagine I'm the new Regenmeister or something. Now it's just hopeless. It always amazes me how Codies can never get the AI quite right. Whatever they increased the AI speed in the last patch by, they should reduce it by half in the next one imo (like if they increased it by 10%, they should lower it by 5% again. Something like that). But I doubt they'll do it.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

I'm playing on 105 AI and racing for McLaren. I got 2nd in qualifying (dry conditions). The race was in wet conditions and suddenly I was ~2 seconds slower than the others. So frustrating to see that the game gets worse and worse with the patches

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I'm racing for McLaren (S2) and knew i wasnt gonna qualify high so struggled through dry qualy with a wet setup. Was 10th by z long way. Come race day was just getting ripped to shed. Never got any higher then 7th. 

I'll admit im not the nest driver (80 Diff) but it shouldnt be so pronounced. The issue lies in the fact while i might be making tiny errors in braking zone and my driving line the AI doesnt at all 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the replies. I've updated the original post with the track list. I'll update it accordingly.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes exactly this! I am glad that other people have this issue too, it is ridiculous atm. I am racing with 101 AI and I have 8 wins this season (I am racing for Mercedes in season 1) before Abu Dhabi but after the 1.05 patch I am constantly 1-3 seconds slower than my team mate now in wet conditions. And I have years and years of experience in Codemasters' F1 games so I know how to drive in all conditions, it's not about that.

In Brazil we had intermediate conditions for the whole race and even though I drove pretty well all race, I was constantly at least 1 second slower than the rest of the top runners, even Kimi Räikkönen in an Alfa Romeo beat me to the finish by a couple of seconds. I think that tells enough, Alfa Romeo beating Mercedes in a full race (50% distance) when it's wet...Absolutely unplayable, this needs to get fixed as soon as possible.

+ I think the situation is even worse when it's full wet conditions...The AI are OP as hell, no way any player can match that pace unless you drop the AI level to something like 90-...

Edited by ZTheLightningZ

For me it was ok in France and Singapore, not OP. It was also ok in Hungary, but I only tried qualifying.

Posted (edited)

Hi all and thanks for the feedback.

Could you let us know if you're using wheels or pads and what assists you are using, if any? Thanks! 

Edit: Can you let me know what level AI you're using as well, please! Thanks!

In list form:

• Wheel or Pad?
  • Any Assists?
  • AI Level
Edited by Faya
Added AI level

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Faya said:

Could you let us know if you're using wheels or pads and what assists you are using, if any? Thanks! 

T300RS

PS4 Pro

No Assists

AI 99%

Thanks

Edited by joserdcosta

14 minutes ago, Faya said:

I am using a pad and medium traction, all other assists are off. I don't see how it could get any better if at all with turning traction control fully off lol. Plus I wanna say that the AI level in wet conditions has been pretty fine in all previous Codemasters' F1 games so it's pretty weird why it is not alright now. 

1 hour ago, Faya said:

In list form:

• Wheel or Pad?
  • Any Assists?
  • AI Level

*)Wheel *) No assists *)102-104

For me it’s pretty much spot on.

I have tested wet and mixed wet 25% races at Silverstone and Barcelona post patch. I was maybe a bit slower. 

50% Wet race with inters at Suzuka, was pretty spot on comparing to my later test race with dry pace.

Did a dry-wet (1/3-2/3) 50% Champ mode at Canada.

103 difficulty, were +\- .100 / lap at P2 vs P1 Hamilton + 2 sec gap in the dry. 
Pit for inters at the same lap for testing purposes. 

Overtook Hamilton after 3 wet laps. 
Won by roughly 6 seconds. 

His out lap was very fast though maybe because I race with simulated tyre temps. 

Other players problems might be tracks related because I haven't tried the majority of the tracks. But the general pace is fine.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, joserdcosta said:

T300RS PS4 Pro here. Thanks

No assists here AI 99%

Edited by joserdcosta

Update: Seems to be track related. 
I can confirm previous posts of ai being really fast at Baku. For me , 2,5 seconds/ lap. It’s traction adjustments that needs to be lowered at Baku. 

Another finding is that there is a lack of speed for the first 2 laps on all tracks I’ve tested, and the ai is not affected by that.  50% race , inters, + 2 fuel, rich mode. 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, rfvgt said:

I had a feeling they were gonna make the AI way OP with the patch again.

Before 1.05 I always finished between 2nd and 5th/6th in the wet in my Haas on 103% AI (full race distance). Now in my second season with Alfa as soon as it rains I'm screwed. In Hockenheim I was about 6-7 seconds ahead of my teammate, quite comfortably pulling away each lap by a few tenths. Then it started to rain and he was over a second per lap faster. As I'm typing this I'm racing at Spa. I was in P9 when it started to rain. Now the AI is about 2.5 to 3 seconds per lap faster than me. So frustrating. I know I'm not the best driver but I'm sure a lot of players now have this problem. At least before 1.05 I could role play this and imagine I'm the new Regenmeister or something. Now it's just hopeless. It always amazes me how Codies can never get the AI quite right. Whatever they increased the AI speed in the last patch by, they should reduce it by half in the next one imo (like if they increased it by 10%, they should lower it by 5% again. Something like that). But I doubt they'll do it.

Haven’t tried Hockenheim but I just did full wet at Spa and though challenging, after getting in the groove it’s actually fine. No assists 105.

Edited by Andrew210227
  • Agree 1

I tried Hockenheim, it’s fine , the same at Singapore. Like earlier post @ 103 level, inters etc 

also no real issues at Melbourne and China. 

This may or may not be relevant but bear with me. Assuming I know how ai are programed in rackng games, it's not the ai themselves that are actually slower but the lines they are told to take by the programmers for each track. After playing many seasons in the previous 2 games and watching hotlaps by pro drivers I have my best lines ready for each race by now. The ai does NOT drive the same lines the pros use at each track for sure. A way of checking this is I believe the track acclimatization practice sessions use the ai lines to set up the gates for you to pass. This is so far off the best lines especially for example China turn 1 that I just can't make the gates without spinning off. The ai follows those lines for sure. Anyway my point is that you can't just adjust the ai to go faster at a certain track without either 1) programming better lines manually or 2) speeding the cars up or slowing them down with power settings. 2 is obviously unacceptable but a workaround. If the ai is too fast all you can do is learn their lines. If they are still faster then they actually have more powerful cars with better brakes and /or more ERS available. 

So the only way to make the ai level at every track (doesn't happen in real life as different cars suit different circuits) would be to make the ai car perform identical to the player car (huge cpu usage) and also have the best racing lines dialed in for each track. 

I think it is impossible for codemasters to do the above with current available console power. Only by fake lap time matching with different power settings is available to them. 

If a dev reads this and thinks I'm talking total b****x please let me know. It's not an easy task I know! 

Those examples are only a few variables that determines the speed of the AI. 

Traction values are one of lots of  more variables for them to alter. 
Traction values was what they adjusted in v1.05 , and that was a good move. This ( I hope) was done per track.

Baku seems to been a screw up , there might be more tracks I haven’t tested all of them. 
And honestly, this shouldn’t have been necessary, that’s what the devs team and beta testers are for.

F1 201x series games are always sold as beta versions and you are buying full price to be a beta tester basically.

sad  

Yeah I think originally they were too slow in the wet but now they're probably in general a tad too fast just did a wet Baku race and they kind of left me for dead. I don't think I necessarily hadthe best setup for the race but I just couldn't keep up with them.

On 7/24/2019 at 9:01 PM, Faya said:

In list form:

• Wheel or Pad?
  • Any Assists?
  • AI Level

Pad

Traction on and Anti Lock off

AI level 80

19 hours ago, KrazyLurt said:

I tried Hockenheim, it’s fine , the same at Singapore. Like earlier post @ 103 level, inters etc 

also no real issues at Melbourne and China. 

Os Singapore ok or too fast? And Hockenheim?

Cheers

3 hours ago, joserdcosta said:

Os Singapore ok or too fast? And Hockenheim?

Cheers

Both tracks are okay. 
AI are as strong traction as dry, I.e always perfect. I wouldn’t mind if CM could ad variations to their traction the same way as cornering speed. 

On 7/25/2019 at 12:48 AM, KrazyLurt said:

Those examples are only a few variables that determines the speed of the AI. 

Traction values are one of lots of  more variables for them to alter. 
Traction values was what they adjusted in v1.05 , and that was a good move. This ( I hope) was done per track.

Baku seems to been a screw up , there might be more tracks I haven’t tested all of them. 
And honestly, this shouldn’t have been necessary, that’s what the devs team and beta testers are for.

F1 201x series games are always sold as beta versions and you are buying full price to be a beta tester basically.

sad  

Yeah I'm thinking if I end up with a wet session I'll just drop the AI down 5 points to give myself a bit more of a chance of fighting them.