DiRT Rally 2.0 - Force Feedback

8 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

I have TX on PC. And I have the same findings as @flowerdealer

++1

I am using the TX on the XB1. It is much improved over how it was at release...but as noted, FFB at release was - well, nothing. So something is better than nothing as it stands, but we are still desperately lacking the feeling of ‘bite’ from the tire, and when it starts to lose (or gain), grip. Livable - yes. Needs improving - yes. Improvements in this area are truly what will bring back the masses. It was after-all a major reason why the game sputtered out of the gate. That and the other issues, which have now been addressed in large part. 

Give us better FFB, fix the sound bug, add some new locations - and I am a happy camper.

11 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

I have TX on PC. And I have the same findings as @flowerdealer

Road feedback is poor yes, but not completely missing for me on X, nor is tyre slip

7 hours ago, flowerdealer said:

Nothing on 1.8 and no mention of it for 1.9. I guess it's not happening... shame. 

Wouldn’t say that it’s been permanently shelved - but perhaps just further down the road (no pun intended). The FFB is tolerable in its current state. Sure it could use some layers of refinement - but it’s not a crisis situation we’re in here. 

If you are still feeling disenchanted - there is always WRC 8 to reorient your perception of what constitutes good Rally FFB, and why we should be pleased overall with DR2.0 🤣

Edited by Buckwilder

24 minutes ago, Buckwilder said:

Wouldn’t say that it’s been permanently shelved - but perhaps just further down the road (no pun intended). The FFB is tolerable in its current state. Sure it could use some layers of refinement - but it’s not a crisis situation we’re in here. 

If you are still feeling disenchanted - there is always WRC 8 to reorient your perception of what constitutes good Rally FFB, and why we should be pleased overall with DR2.0 🤣

Or Dirt Rally 1 😜

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

and racing sims around. it's enough to compare them on tarmac to find huge gap. It might change the meaning of what is meant 'tolerable'

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Seems like @Grimmi36 disagree. Maybe he thinks that other sims has worse FFB than DR2. But we will never get to know. He never wrote a post. What a sucker.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Seems like @Grimmi36 disagree. Maybe he thinks that other sims has worse FFB than DR2. But we will never get to know. He never wrote a post. What a sucker.

yes, he/she is most peculiar.

all they do is give out thumbs down and negativity, with no posts.

A really valuable member of the community lol

Edited by Pieman99
  • Disagree 1

On 9/4/2019 at 3:04 AM, MaXyMsrpl said:

and racing sims around. it's enough to compare them on tarmac to find huge gap. It might change the meaning of what is meant 'tolerable'

Yes I would agree that ‘tolerable’ is a relative and largely subjective assertion - and to your point; the one area in which I crave better FFB, is tarmac. I enjoy unpaved surfaces, but find myself avoiding tarmac in any location in this game because it is so poor. Not quite sure why, but a lot CM’s games seem to have ‘floating’ tarmac physics. There is no indication the car will break traction - and then it does. Some kind of feel to suggest the tires are actually in contact with the surface would be nice. I wonder if that will ever be addressed...I really hope so as it would add another dimension of driving enjoyment to DR2. 

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Agree 1

On 7/26/2019 at 10:04 AM, PJTierney said:

This is all good stuff, keep it up.

Once I get another page or so of responses I can pass it on so that we've something substantial in terms of organised feedback.

This isn't a guarantee that anything will change (I can't speak for the dev team and their plans/workload) but at least it guarantees your feedback is acknowledged and it may have impacts in ways you do not know of yet (like future games) 🙂 

It's been a while since... is this being looked into by the devs?

9 hours ago, chukonu said:

It's been a while since... is this being looked into by the devs?

🤷‍♂️ Good question, one would hope!

Edited by Buckwilder

6 hours ago, WhyBother777 said:

Blah, blah blah !

I completely agree! 

Edit: Of course I agree that the above is a lot of blah blah blah!

Edited by richie

i just compared WRC8's ffb with Dirt Rally's 2.0 and i must say i prefer the WRC8 ffb over Dirt Rally's. It has nice vibration effects which are completely missing in Dirt Rally 2.0. C'mon, please improve it for us.

P.S.: Dirt Rally's ffb is superior to WRC8 and Dirt Rally 2.0. Wish we could have something like that for 2.0!

Edited by Makromatic

Enough has been said on this topic - so anything more is just adding insult to injury - but they need to address this. After spending 7 months with this game it is glaringly apparent the FFB needs a touch up. Specifically, on tarmac. I have always been a CM supporter, and I still play DR2.0 daily - but good Lord, please fix the tarmac physics and FFB.

Meanwhile, I got used to the FFB, but I avoid Monte Carlo, because there I have no feeling for the car. A pity.....

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Flens07 said:

Meanwhile, I got used to the FFB, but I avoid Monte Carlo, because there I have no feeling for the car. A pity.....

Spain, Germany...same deal. Like the locations, hate the experience.

i'm not an expert, so i don't know if this will be realistic but i would like to have an ffb effect when braking, so that i can feel wether my wheels are locking up or not when i'm braking.

I’m just dumbfounded a company that produces car racing games wants to know how a steering wheel should feel in feedback on dirt from the community? Forget the content, bells and whistles. If you don’t have FFB correct for dirt, you don’t have anything, but a game that is made in the '80’s. Dirt Rally 1 was only good in feedback by using TemplarGFX’s mod on RaceDepartment for FFB and his 4K mod etc...I would suggest CM study AutoMobilista, rF2 and AssettoCorsa, using at the least, Fanatec V2 for the sort of fine detailed, low feedback that is available, that everyone is looking for. Provide that and with all of the content, bells and whistles and not only will you stop all the complaints, but will get the accolades CM have been looking for. Everyone wins.

What worries me is that they stopped to respond on this topic at all. To me it does mean they try to make this subject lost. It's pitty because they already promised further refinements. My guess is they decided to not fulfil them.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

8 hours ago, LibranRabbit said:

I’m just dumbfounded a company that produces car racing games wants to know how a steering wheel should feel in feedback on dirt from the community? Forget the content, bells and whistles. If you don’t have FFB correct for dirt, you don’t have anything, but a game that is made in the '80’s. Dirt Rally 1 was only good in feedback by using TemplarGFX’s mod on RaceDepartment for FFB and his 4K mod etc...I would suggest CM study AutoMobilista, rF2 and AssettoCorsa, using at the least, Fanatec V2 for the sort of fine detailed, low feedback that is available, that everyone is looking for. Provide that and with all of the content, bells and whistles and not only will you stop all the complaints, but will get the accolades CM have been looking for. Everyone wins.

You listed a lot of track sims there.  And one of the reasons CM is asking for feedback is to know what exactly people think/feel is missing.  From a general perspective I think they have enough feedback from their SME's (drivers) to know the current FFB is in a reasonable enough shape to be considered good enough.  

Another point is that just because the market has been doing X for 10 years, doesn't mean it's 100% correct.  Even if people got used to it.  Anyway, blaming a company for asking for constructive  feedback about a feature is really not reasonable at all.

Edited by bn880

asking alone not. However I would expect they know answers either because they are on the market for years or because the have changed ffb intentionally (considering such changes are not result of random code modifications). Maybe they should ask for that before they make the ffb suboptimal (or at least different than expected by majority)? Don't you think?

Anyway asking for a feedback and then trying make the thing never happened is somehow wrong.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

36 minutes ago, bn880 said:

From a general perspective I think they have enough feedback from their SME's (drivers) 

Considering bugs in steering wheel support (ie in steering lock implementation) I highly doubt in what you are saying.

6 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Considering bugs in steering wheel support (ie in steering lock implementation) I highly doubt in what you are saying.

You shouldn't, because I am talking about FFB not steering lock.

Asking for feedback and then doing absolutely nothing after analyzing it is also common in various industries and government, and is not implicitly wrong.  It's just analysis and decision making.  You might disagree if they do nothing, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have looked at people's opinions.

Edited by bn880

1 hour ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Maybe they should ask for that before they make the ffb suboptimal (or at least different than expected by majority)? Don't you think?

The problem is the phrase (or at least different than expected by the majority). The majority in this case being house bound sim racers with little to no experience in a real world rally/rallycross car, everyone of whom came to the game with their own idea of what realistic ffb should be. Which is why Codies asked for as much information as possible from those particular people.

• Agree 1

Are you confident about what you are saying? Or you are saying that all simracing developers do that wrong for almost 20 years already?
Anyway you made 2 mistakes in single sentence.

At first the game is developed for majority. No for real world rally/rallycross drivers.
Ignoring majority needs is like shooting own foot (regardless majority are right or not)

At second who are those consultants whos help turns into FFB lacking of slip-related feedback? The same who suggested to break steering range?

And on top of that: CM's previous titles was better fitting "house bound simracers" needs. if CM invented ground breaking change in FFB (obviously different to what is proposed by leading developers of simracing titles), why I never seen any word about this new approach? I would expect big billboard "we've done it more realistic than you used to".

I'm not even going into details why FFB MUST be different comparing to real world steering wheel and why. I though it's pretty obvious for anybody over here.

4 hours ago, bn880 said:

Asking for feedback and then doing absolutely nothing after analyzing it is also common in various industries and government, and is not implicitly wrong.  It's just analysis and decision making.  You might disagree if they do nothing, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have looked at people's opinions.

I just expect, that after collecting feedback (so involving community into some kind of work), they could inform community about the decision. Instead of that, they pretend they can't see the questions appearing from time to time about promised FFB changes. Answer "we decided to not change it any more" would be at least fair. Especially since it's official support forum, so getting answer from authorized person shouldn't be something extraordinary.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl