DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Rainmaster personal challenge

I decided upon a personal objective for the game. For 10 weeks I will be posting a new wet weather hotlap once a week. The conditions for the challenge are that it must be a top 10 TT lap and be completed in either a Ferrari or a Red Bull. I'm currently racing in a 10 race league, so each week I will be following our track calendar, except for swapping Bahrain for Hungary. I run cockpit cam and no assists.

First up was Australia. The timer stopped at 1:34.412 for the scarlet Ferrari. Second place overall was up for grabs. I'm not sure if the no. 1 time is legit or not, I know the driver has posted very good times on other tracks too, but this one doesn't have a ghost or sector times available, and the time itself feels like it's out of this world. Anyways, enjoy!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Part 2 of my challenge was Hungaroring. This time the lap is driven in a Red Bull. It's possible to gain some time in the middle sector by cutting the left-hander of the slow chicane, but I decided not to do it. As usual I'm running without driving aids and from cockpit cam with a G29. Enjoy!

After a few more of these I'd be willing to do a tutorial for driving and setting up the car in the wet if people show interest for such a thing. Give a shoutout here or in YT if you'd like me to do it.

• Disagree 1

No Assits, HMmmm I beg to differ,

Please put correct description when posting YouTube videos.

• Confused 1
  • Disagree 2

3 hours ago, BluntRS said:

I'm assuming you are talking about the external hud data. I don't usually remember to turn off stuff like the mini-map for TT. They are all useless info for me though, or do you actually think I'd be looking at a track map while driving? I can understand if you regard it as an assist in a race, but I'm troubled if you think it assists in any way in TT. Besides, it's nice for the viewer to be able to see the timing data etc. instead of having to look for it on the steering wheel.

This challenge would probably be more interesting if you strictly used the default setup. The Ferrari is absolutely exposed when in the rain, but you should be able to get a WR or two even with the default setup like I did last year since not very many people do wet weather TTs.

5 hours ago, janbonator said:

I'm assuming you are talking about the external hud data. I don't usually remember to turn off stuff like the mini-map for TT. They are all useless info for me though, or do you actually think I'd be looking at a track map while driving? I can understand if you regard it as an assist in a race, but I'm troubled if you think it assists in any way in TT. Besides, it's nice for the viewer to be able to see the timing data etc. instead of having to look for it on the steering wheel.

He's trolling, ignore him.

Edited by Coffer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

9 hours ago, BluntRS said:

Like to expand on that?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Ho3n3r said:

Like to expand on that?

I'm expecting it to be the normal blah blah of it being the map and also the middle column of the halo being disabled being "assists" 🤦

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Coffer said:

This challenge would probably be more interesting if you strictly used the default setup. The Ferrari is absolutely exposed when in the rain, but you should be able to get a WR or two even with the default setup like I did last year since not very many people do wet weather TTs.

Thanks for the feedback! I think that's an interesting idea, I might give it a go for the next one. Most top 10s in the wet are dominated by drivers with ABS and/or traction control, so I feel like a good setup is important in taking back some of that advantage. Changing the ride height seems to be especially important in the wet. I never tried last years game so I don't quite know how it was like then, but I'm guessing it was pretty much the same thing.

3 hours ago, joserdcosta said:

@janbonatorwell done. Very nice driving.

Cheers, much appreciated. 🏁

17 minutes ago, janbonator said:

Thanks for the feedback! I think that's an interesting idea, I might give it a go for the next one. Most top 10s in the wet are dominated by drivers with ABS and/or traction control, so I feel like a good setup is important in taking back some of that advantage. Changing the ride height seems to be especially important in the wet. I never tried last years game so I don't quite know how it was like then, but I'm guessing it was pretty much the same thing.

Yeah, that was my experience back in 2018 as well - at Spa where I got my first pre-leaderboard wipe WR with the Ferrari with the default setup I ran into lots of Mercedes drivers with multiple assists, with only the top 4 or so running no assists and very good setups (and #4 driving a Red Bull). Because most league racers practice in dry conditions though, your skills are good enough that you should at least be able to get something like a top 10 result on most tracks even with just the default setup and the slowest frontrunning car in these conditions (Ferrari).

And yeah, outside of using the ballast + front wing exploit 2018 required pretty similar setups to 2019 in these conditions. The biggest difference was that even without the exploit the cars were a little bit more oversteery, which helped me a lot as sliding right at the threshold of the tyre grip and modulating the throttle made up for the Merc's higher and more efficient downforce and less peaky power delivery.

I haven't gotten around to fully testing the difference between the post-nerf Ferrari and the Merc in this year's game, but last year in the wet with the default setup the gap between the cars (also post-nerf) was something like half a second per lap, primarily lost in fast corners due to the Ferrari's high speed instability on entry and mid-corner and worse brakes. Given the way the cars drive now and what little experience I have with the Ferrari I suspect that the gap is around about the same this year, despite it looking higher in the performance chart. The Red Bull may very well be the best car in these conditions now though, so you could do some laps with the default setup in that first before trying the Ferrari. Whatever you do, I reckon it's at least good to turn a few laps in without a setup as that can really help give you an indication of where the cars excel and struggle and what you need to focus on when making your setups later.

Edited by Coffer
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Coffer said:

3 hours ago, martbloke said:

I'm expecting it to be the normal blah blah of it being the map and also the middle column of the halo being disabled being "assists" 🤦

Please read above, since the OP ( Thats orginal poster ) understood my and agreed with what I was saying,,

If your still un sure mybe ask a adult to explain it to you,

Nice effort though, but sorry its a F- from me,

You might wanna call ER for that burn, looks nasty, if you dont know the number ask mummy, but since am nice ill help you out its 911.

Have a good day Yall, and dont forget your sun cream, its hot out in the school yard 😎

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Coffer said:

Yeah, that was my experience back in 2018 as well - at Spa where I got my first pre-leaderboard wipe WR with the Ferrari with the default setup I ran into lots of Mercedes drivers with multiple assists, with only the top 4 or so running no assists and very good setups (and #4 driving a Red Bull). Because most league racers practice in dry conditions though, your skills are good enough that you should at least be able to get something like a top 10 result on most tracks even with just the default setup and the slowest frontrunning car in these conditions (Ferrari).

And yeah, outside of using the ballast + front wing exploit 2018 required pretty similar setups to 2019 in these conditions. The biggest difference was that even without the exploit the cars were a little bit more oversteery, which helped me a lot as sliding right at the threshold of the tyre grip and modulating the throttle made up for the Merc's higher and more efficient downforce and less peaky power delivery.

I haven't gotten around to fully testing the difference between the post-nerf Ferrari and the Merc in this year's game, but last year in the wet with the default setup the gap between the cars (also post-nerf) was something like half a second per lap, primarily lost in fast corners due to the Ferrari's high speed instability on entry and mid-corner and worse brakes. Given the way the cars drive now and what little experience I have with the Ferrari I suspect that the gap is around about the same this year, despite it looking higher in the performance chart. The Red Bull may very well be the best car in these conditions now though, so you could do some laps with the default setup in that first before trying the Ferrari.

Sounds very much the same this year then. The Ferrari has less efficient aerodynamics but also less drag, which means you can run higher wing settings and still have a comparatively good straight-line speed. I've definitely noticed a difference in brakes and power delivery, too. I couldn't agree more about the oversteer, it's so much easier to drive at the edge of grip with oversteer than understeer, which is why I'm comparatively much slower in the dry - I have a long history in rally sims after all :classic_biggrin:

You're absolutely right, the Red Bull feels fantastic in the wet. It's very stable in all aspects - acceleration, braking and corner entry. Post-patch McLaren didn't feel too shabby around Monaco either (managed top 7 at the time), but the track limits there are so broken that I don't want to encourage anyone actually trying.

1 hour ago, BluntRS said:

Please read above, since the OP ( Thats orginal poster ) understood my and agreed with what I was saying,,

If your still un sure mybe ask a adult to explain it to you,

Nice effort though, but sorry its a F- from me,

You might wanna call ER for that burn, looks nasty, if you dont know the number ask mummy, but since am nice ill help you out its 911.

Have a good day Yall, and dont forget your sun cream, its hot out in the school yard 😎

As said before it is the normal blah blah. :classic_blink::classic_wink:

• Confused 1
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

The more people ignore him and his raving antics, the better. He contributes absolutely nothing of value to these forums and craves attention like no other. He even disliked all of the OP's posts for no reason other than him being offended at them and others accurately pointing out how much of a child he is and showing him the door.

Edited by Coffer
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Akkan74 said:

Great contribution to the thread as allways 😂

3 hours ago, Coffer said:

The more people ignore him and his raving antics, the better. He contributes absolutely nothing of value to these forums and craves attention like no other. He even disliked all of the OP's posts for no reason other than him being offended at them and others accurately pointing out how much of a child he is and showing him the door.

Great way to ignore someone and contribute absoluty nothing to the thread :classic_rolleyes:

Are you aware of the ignore user option.

Or you just could keep on trolling, cause trolling what you do, keep on trolling, until your day is through.