Time to update Spa Francorchamps

Posted (edited)

Spa right now is the least realistic track in the F1 Game.

Almost every kerb and elevation change is being represented incorrectly.

Here are a few examples:
Turn 1 - La Source: The kerb is way too big and the elevation change is slightly off

1522661915_LaSource.thumb.png.dd797799b3d16d7214e21eb09a866cf9.png

Turn 6 - Kemmel: Elevation change is slightly off. Very noticable when driving.

Kemmel.thumb.png.98d028b8a106ce5e23c5a74ea196eeb4.png

Turn 9 - Malmedy: Kerb is way too big on the inside and bit too high on the exit.

Malmedy.thumb.png.fb598337fda4a1025e0e40f1b3598cc3.png

Turn 10 - Bruxelles: Kerb is way too big on the inside and the kerb on the exit is angled upwards, which is wrong.

Bruxelles.thumb.png.40e1efb2157454bece9a931d14731f61.png218096215_ExitBruxelles.thumb.png.be96bfa4ac71b8ddc9f87b35cdf6a6a2.png

Turn 11 - Corner with no name: Kerb is way too big.

737119378_Cornerwithnoname.thumb.png.80ca77e75cd43664aa983005c8048377.png

Turn 12 - Pouhon: Kerb is way too big, high and not as round as in real life.

Pouhon.thumb.png.ac97122193178a1743ec1c8beca08be5.png

Turn 15 - Stavelot: Kerb is way too big and drops off, which is wrong.

Stavelot.thumb.png.582e751cb92336311012ec2d0297671a.png

Turn 18 - Blanchimont: Kerb is way too big.

Blanchimont.thumb.png.76e80fcbc2f125e9fec7d73fb72c805e.png

Turn 19 / 20 - Chicane: Easily the worst case. Kerbs are too big, especially at turn 20. Elevation change is... well it's flat in game, while in real life it's a rollercoaster.

Bustop.thumb.png.4225cb3c506405059dee6d2a4c0e2e9c.png

Spa is one of the greatest tracks of all time, so it definitly deserves more attention than this, because it's been like this for years.

If possible, i would like to see a proper update of the track in a patch of this years game, if not, in F1 2020.

Thank you.

La Source.pdn

Edited by seVVen
  • Agree 10

While a few of the details might be slightly out (the kerbs look a tiny bit different), it’s hardly a big deal. I can’t see the elevation differences, again, if they are there they are minimal. Personally i think there are far more important things for them to be thinking about patching.

Also, you’re not even comparing this years (or even last years as i know you cant for this years yet) real life footage. The game could be right for this year for all we know! (I’m not saying it is, just making a point that the above comparison doesn’t make sense).

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 3

14 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Also, you’re not even comparing this years (or even last years as i know you cant for this years yet) real life footage. The game could be right for this year for all we know!

I've used 2017, because 2018 quali was rainy, so poor visibility and drivers taking different lines, putting some of the kerbs shown here out of the camera shot.

There was no change between 2017 and 2018 and i doubt there will be one for 2019, which Codemasters wouldn't have known about anyways.

17 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

While a few of the details might be slightly out (the kerbs look a tiny bit different), it’s hardly a big deal. I can’t see the elevation differences, again, if they are there they are minimal.

It's not just the looks of the kerbs. These differences mean you cant ride some of these kerbs, when you could in real life and vice versa. The track is driven differently.

Especially the elevation changes make a huge difference, they are a major part of the track characteristics.

A game published in 2019 has to represent those track characteristics correctly.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, seVVen said:

A game published in 2019 has to represent those track characteristics correctly.

Given that probably 99% of all players either don't notice or don't care about it, I'd say there very little reason why this would be true.

You clearly put a lot of effort into this, which I appreciate, but the reality is that this isn't IRacing and shouldn't be judged as such.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

Do the teams not have access to lazer scanned tracks for their simulators? 

This really needs to be implemented, if the tracks are nit correctly depicted then how can it be simulating anything correctly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

Here's a comparison of Codies' Spa to the laser scanned version in iRacing. Ignore the kerbs, they're the least of the issues - the track is fundamentally wrong layoutwise. https://streamable.com/oyjs1

If people making mods for Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 can build high quality accurate tracks using public LIDAR data and offer those for free, Codemasters has no excuse.

Edited by amphobius
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It’s not simulating anything “correctly”, it’s a game.

It’s fun, and it’s absolutely a great representation of driving round Spa, or any other track in my opinion.

When i’m driving round at racing speed i’m not interested in whether x curb is marginally to high / too low / too big etc.

I’m interested in the overall experience it gives me... does it make me feel like i’m racing round Spa? It does, so i’m happy 😊

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 3

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Gysepy-Simracer said:

Do the teams not have access to lazer scanned tracks for their simulators? 

This really needs to be implemented, if the tracks are nit correctly depicted then how can it be simulating anything correctly. 

According to Lee Mather, Paul Ricard got Lidar scanned, which is a less detailed form of laserscanning as it usually gets done by drones flying at extremely high altitudes or by helicopter sessions etc. and therefore do not create accurate track details such as bumps or elevation changes, but at least Lidar scans grant the correct width and length for the tracks and that's the bare minimum we should expect.

Either way, for proper elevation changes and track details such as bumps, they'd either need to...

...rent the track and do a full on track laserscan via a flying drone at very close proximity to the track or a car that will be driven around the whole track to scan each bump and elevation change correctly (very costly and time consuming)...

or

...get the already existing laserscanned data from F1 teams, the FOM, other gaming studios such as ISI etc., or even third party companies by fully buying off or by paying timely limited licence fees in order for the files to be used in game (less expensive and the fastest way of gaining access to the necessary data compared to doing the scan themselves, but usually timely limited or fixed to some dubious contractual clauses).

Regardless of how CM tackles this persistent issue, a "officially licenced game" should have a very close representation to 100% correct accuracy of tracks and car performances, sadly neither is the case in CM's F1 franchise as the ingame tracks are not accurate and the ingame cars are too slow and handle like bricks compared to what real life telemetry suggests.

I personally really hoped they actually went on and have done it to finally give us a revolutionary masterpiece of a game in the past 2 years, it sounded very promising, but, it's the usual CM product, meaning it's "mediocre" and or "good" at best, and unfortunately not "perfect" or "revolutionary" for any specific aspect at all.

Imo, if we stripped the exclusive official F1 licence off of this franchise, the game would not be selling half of what it does right now.

Very disappointing.

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Spelling error
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, amphobius said:

Here's a comparison of Codies' Spa to the laser scanned version in iRacing. Ignore the kerbs, they're the least of the issues - the track is fundamentally wrong layoutwise. https://streamable.com/oyjs1

If people making mods for Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 can build high quality accurate tracks using public LIDAR data and offer those for free, Codemasters has no excuse.

THIS.

12 minutes ago, SturmDesTodes said:

a very close representation to 100% correct accuracy of tracks

A lot of good stuff in you explanation, but the above statement jumps out since it's completely subjective. Some would argue it already is a very close representation, while some think it's way off. Most won't care.

This is what I meant when I said there's really no point comparing F1 series with (semi)hardcore simulators. The player base is completely different, and incredibly varied. They could put an enormous amount of energy and money into something that, what, 5-10% of all players will actually really notice? It doesn't make a lot of sense for them.

• Agree 1

From my point of view, i saw the comparison against iracing. Due to the fact Codesmasters didn‘t use a laserscan, i must say they have done a great job here. 

But i‘m not a hardcore fan which compares the width of the kurbs. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Andrew210227 said:

5-10% of all players will actually really notice?

Those 5-10% of players are the ones, who buy the game every year and pump hundreds of hours into the game, some even respresent the game in esports, while the other 90% leave the game after 15 hours or so, so why shouldn't these 10% be pleased first?

Edited by seVVen
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, BRICKS44 said:

Sure is a lot of nit picking in modern gaming.  

You just noticed that too. huh? 😛 Seems to go on in a lot of gaming forums where people seem to want to nit pick on every little detail instead of enjoying the game people have worked hard to create.

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, seVVen said:

Those 5-10% of players are the ones, who buy the game every year and pump hundreds of hours into the game, some even respresent the game in esports, while the other 90% leave the game after 15 hours or so, so why shouldn't these 10% be pleased first?

Because if they implement all the requests from that 10%, they’ll turn the game into ‘F1 Automobilista’ and the other people may not buy the game anymore.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2