Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×

Thank you for nothing Codemasters.

Is it me there is something wrong with or is f1 2019 the biggest pile of **** to come out from Codemasters? 

I use T300 with Ferrari add-on rim, and this game is completely unplayable. For sure never buying an Codemasters F1 game again, and cross my fingers someone who knows what they are doing get the license. 

I have to trim away everything of downforce to keep up with the AI in straight line, and because this game has absolutely no feel of the car it feels like you are driving on ice. Are Codemasters really that stupid thinking that F1 cars always run the minimum of downforce possible. However the AI still manages to go through the corners quickly. Also had a wet race and I had downforce way to low to maybe keep up with AI in straight line, but no chance even then. 

Am I missing something? Have already reduced the AI difficulty A LOT from F1 2018. 

I get absolutely no feeling of driving the car. It seems heavy and slow. Like driving a sponge on ice. 

This is just throwing money out the window and I don't recommend anyone to buy this game unless Mario Cart is the most realistic racing game you have played. 

Thank you Codemasters. Never buying your piece of **** F1 games again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Yeah pretty much you only have to watch free practice to see the cars are absolutely on the limit with downforce. If the tyres aren't warmed (not enough mechanical and downforce) they go off track really easy. Slightest contact in a race and they're the same, dirty air and the drivers can't push.

F1 has backed itself into a corner.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, steviejay69 said:

Yeah pretty much you only have to watch free practice to see the cars are absolutely on the limit with downforce. If the tyres aren't warmed (not enough mechanical and downforce) they go off track really easy. Slightest contact in a race and they're the same, dirty air and the drivers can't push.

F1 has backed itself into a corner.

Actually, no. Because IRL they don't only set the setup based on straight line speed. They make the setups based on driving style, tire degredation, etc. And for what setup is the fastest around the track. They don't have to worry about some AI's having ******** amounts of straight line speed, even though it is a Williams. 

I can push the car to match AI pace with low downforce for one good lap. But the issue is that the AI drive in qualifying pace for 60 laps in the race. While I have trimmed away all down force not to be a sitting duck on the straights. 

I am all for the car being hard to drive and it should absolutely be rewarding to be consistent and do that perfect qualy lap, but it is not realistic that the laptimes in the race are so close to qualy laps as they are, and that the car feels like **** to drive. Tried all the different setups but the car keeps understeering and oversteering at the same time.

I like some things of the handling but the Mario Cart feeling the game has now totally ruins it for me. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

IRL the cars are set for maximum cornering speeds, topspeed is secondary, whereas in game the opposite is the case.

Not to mention that the cars are still lacking quite a bit of grip, especially in highspeed corners, on tracks such as Spain noone in the game is able to get close to Lewis Hamiltons ridiculous 1:15:4 pole laptime, even worse not even E-Sports drivers nor the highest AI at 110 are able to be faster than a 1:16:7 on this track.

CM need to make the cars at least  another 1 - 1,5 seconds faster to replicate real life performance based on telemetry more accurately.

Hope this will get fixed in one of the future updates.

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Spelling error, new points of idea
  • Confused 1

I like so much Codemasters F1 Games, since 2010 (had on PS3) and 2011-2019 on Steam, 

3 hours ago, Uppern said:

They make the setups based on driving style

Like you said.... IRL they make the setups based on driving style....   This is a game so maybe you need to change your driving style a bit to adapt to the game or find the middle ground.  I'm not saying the game is perfect, but it isn't as far off as you make it sound as many positive reviews are out there, including my own.   Like each iteration of the game that is released, you adapt to it.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SturmDesTodes said:

IRL the cars are set for maximum cornering speeds, topspeed is secondary, whereas in game the opposite is the case.

Not to mention that the cars are still lacking quite a bit of grip, especially in highspeed corners, on tracks such as Spain noone in the game is able to get close to Lewis Hamiltons ridiculous 1:15:4 pole laptime, even worse not even E-Sports drivers are able to be faster than 1:16:7 on this track.

CM need to make the cars at least  another 1 - 1,5 seconds faster to replicate real life performance based on telemetry more accurately.

Hope this will get fixed in one of the future updates.

This is interesting to hear as in beta, people were setting times similar to real life qualy times (particularly Baku) although they were also suggesting straight line speed was an issue with the AI being OP.

I had no issues, a good 3-5 seconds off the pace, but did not see this straight line speed issue. Was using 75 AI though which was my level in beta. Because of this I feel people may very well be playing on a higher difficulty than they should be which is causing them this issue but that's just what it seems as I had no issues. I could be wrong. 

Someone did say that each 1 of difficulty equated to roughly 0.2s in AI lap time so maybe if people are finding their lap times lower than AI and blaming straight line speed as the issue, they just need to knock difficulty down accordingly.

If lap times are similar to AI and yet still have this straight line speed issue then this means they are quicker in cornering than the AI so surely 1) knock some downforce off  to slow cornering and increase straight line speed or 2) surely you have ways of passing AI in corners to make up for straights and have good battles defending AI on straights? I'd also like to think that getting in DRS zones means you can make up the speed difference to either pass on straights or even set up a cornering pass.

Just speculating.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Voznik said:

I like the game... :classic_blink:

Yeah so am I whilst I find the AI in the wet a bit of an issue other than that I'm enjoying it.

38 minutes ago, martbloke said:

This is interesting to hear as in beta, people were setting times similar to real life qualy times (particularly Baku) although they were also suggesting straight line speed was an issue with the AI being OP.

I had no issues, a good 3-5 seconds off the pace, but did not see this straight line speed issue. Was using 75 AI though which was my level in beta. Because of this I feel people may very well be playing on a higher difficulty than they should be which is causing them this issue but that's just what it seems as I had no issues. I could be wrong. 

Someone did say that each 1 of difficulty equated to roughly 0.2s in AI lap time so maybe if people are finding their lap times lower than AI and blaming straight line speed as the issue, they just need to knock difficulty down accordingly.

If lap times are similar to AI and yet still have this straight line speed issue then this means they are quicker in cornering than the AI so surely 1) knock some downforce off  to slow cornering and increase straight line speed or 2) surely you have ways of passing AI in corners to make up for straights and have good battles defending AI on straights? I'd also like to think that getting in DRS zones means you can make up the speed difference to either pass on straights or even set up a cornering pass.

Just speculating.

I’m sure the testers had too much downforce than what the AI was coded for. 
I have long 140+ hours already, the AI are not OP with <7 levels of downforce. The only problem with levels like 3/3-6/6 downforce levels is that low downforce = less traction out of corners. 
And this is the problem with AI they have high downforce levels of traction out of corners. 

These downforce levels with Mercedes/ Ferrari gives good straight line speed. Although you loose distance out of corners because if low traction:

1: Melbourne 5/5

2 Bahrain 6/6

3 China 4/4

4 Baku: 4/4

5 Spain: 4/4

7 Canada: 5/5

8 France: 6/6

9 Austria: 5/5

10 Britain 4/4

11 Germany: 6/6

12 Hungary: 4/4

13 Spa: 3/3

14 Monza 4/4

15 Singapore 5/5

16 Russia: 5/5

17 Japan: 4/4

18 Mexico: 4/4

19 USA : 5/5

20 Brazil: 4/4

21 Abu Dhabi: 6/6

1 hour ago, KrazyLurt said:

I’m sure the testers had too much downforce than what the AI was coded for. 
I have long 140+ hours already, the AI are not OP with <7 levels of downforce. The only problem with levels like 3/3-6/6 downforce levels is that low downforce = less traction out of corners. 
And this is the problem with AI they have high downforce levels of traction out of corners. 

These downforce levels with Mercedes/ Ferrari gives good straight line speed. Although you loose distance out of corners because if low traction:

1: Melbourne 5/5

2 Bahrain 6/6

3 China 4/4

4 Baku: 4/4

5 Spain: 4/4

7 Canada: 5/5

8 France: 6/6

9 Austria: 5/5

10 Britain 4/4

11 Germany: 6/6

12 Hungary: 4/4

13 Spa: 3/3

14 Monza 4/4

15 Singapore 5/5

16 Russia: 5/5

17 Japan: 4/4

18 Mexico: 4/4

19 USA : 5/5

20 Brazil: 4/4

21 Abu Dhabi: 6/6

Sorry now but somebody please correct me if i am wrong, but its the mechanical grip that gives you traction out of corners not downforce! 

Edited by SimracerGysepy

6 hours ago, DYDit said:

You just need more practice and maybe lower AI difficulty.

Already lowered the AI difficulty to 100 now, if I set the difficulty any lower I would be too quick in qualifying. Maybe I should change AI difficulty betweel every quali and race then? 🤔

It seems as Codemasters think of corners as something you just have to get through to get to the straights. Last time I played I ran with 3-3 downforce in Baku, and then I could barely match the AI in straight line, but was loosing to them in the corners.

24 minutes ago, Uppern said:

Already lowered the AI difficulty to 100 now, if I set the difficulty any lower I would be too quick in qualifying. Maybe I should change AI difficulty betweel every quali and race then? 🤔

It seems as Codemasters think of corners as something you just have to get through to get to the straights. Last time I played I ran with 3-3 downforce in Baku, and then I could barely match the AI in straight line, but was loosing to them in the corners.

Sad but true, changing AI every session is the only way.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SimracerGysepy said:

Sorry now but somebody please correct me if i am wrong, but its the mechanical grip that gives you traction out of corners not downforce! 

No it’s downforce as well as mechanical grip. 
More downforce pushes the car to ground = more grip 

And sadly in F1 2019 there is no substantial setup change that increase speed out of corners more than increasing downforce. 

35 minutes ago, KrazyLurt said:

No it’s downforce as well as mechanical grip. 
More downforce pushes the car to ground = more grip 

Maybe a mix of both yes but for sure if you are losing the back end on throttle / corner exit then increasing the the rear wing angle will make not a blind bit of difference, if you cannot get the power down you are creating no downforce!!.... You would be much better off 

1: Softening the rear anti roll bar
2: Decreasing diff power lock
3: Softening the rear springs. 

Also not forgetting the PICNIC (Problem in chair, not in car)

Edited by SimracerGysepy

51 minutes ago, SimracerGysepy said:

Maybe a mix of both yes but for sure if you are losing the back end on throttle / corner exit then increasing the the rear wing angle will make not a blind bit of difference, if you cannot get the power down you are creating no downforce!!.... You would be much better off 

1: Softening the rear anti roll bar
2: Decreasing diff power lock
3: Softening the rear springs. 

Also not forgetting the PICNIC (Problem in chair, not in car)

Yeah basic setup changes I know, doesn’t work that well in Codemaster world 🥴

In their world downforce works, try for yourself, I’m not making stuff up. 

Im playing at 105 matching Ferrari/ Mercedes teammates so it’s okay, I’m just saying that traction out of corners is weird in this game. And this thing is what is the underlying issue of AI top speed, player downforce levels etc. 

Edited by KrazyLurt
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, KrazyLurt said:

Yeah basic setup changes I know, doesn’t work that well in Codemaster world 🥴

In their world downforce works, try for yourself, I’m not making stuff up. 

Im playing at 105 matching Ferrari/ Mercedes teammates so it’s okay, I’m just saying that traction out of corners is weird in this game. And this thing is what is the underlying issue of AI top speed, player downforce levels etc. 

You kinda hit the nail on the head there... The setup options are weird. The car HAS to work well by default because you can't do anything realistic in tuning. Project cars also has a lot of cars that drive like tug boats or drunken dogs out of the box but an hour or so tweaking in the garage and you can make them speed boats and cute puppies whatever you want. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, coming from Project CARS, the setup options in this game are quite limited, but also adjusting the sliders makes very little difference to the handling compared to that game. Or even AC. You can go fully soft with one roll bar and hard with the other and yet it seems the handling doesn't differ massively, or certainly not enough. Maybe it's just how F1 cars are. Perhaps there's hardly any difference with max/min on some of the setup options. 

This could be why it's harder to dial out understeer, for example, even with extreme values. 

Or it could just be a simplified handling/physics/tuning model used for this game. I have no idea. I just wish tinkering with the setup screens yielded more noticeable handling differences for the cars. 

But on the other hand I guess I get more time on the track as opposed to in the garage so there is that...

14 hours ago, bluwaters said:

Like you said.... IRL they make the setups based on driving style....   This is a game so maybe you need to change your driving style a bit to adapt to the game or find the middle ground.  I'm not saying the game is perfect, but it isn't as far off as you make it sound as many positive reviews are out there, including my own.   Like each iteration of the game that is released, you adapt to it.

The thing is with all the reviews is the were done before codes starts with the patches the game deffently feels like its been dilluted after 1st patch . The graphics dont seem like the did before patch it was the first thing that stood out to me when first played the game thought it was awsome the way you went threw the shadows and that it was like you were sat in the car . But now it feels more like 18 graphics . Then not to mention the AI been in same ERS mode as player all the time when the was nothing wrong with it before the patch people saying its just an graphics issue but it doesnt feel like that to me all I have to do is put my ers to high and no one cant over take is which wasent case before . This game is anything but perfect it was an pretty awsome game on release but after the first patch its ruined it for me . Mainly cause you have people calling things bugged like people were saying with the A1 ERS  but when I checked threw it a couple times all the drivers were in diffrent modes so didnt understand the problem there when you fix something that aint broke . It will break it which is what is happening with this game . Ps when the game got released early I was one of the ones who bought early copy and not 1 complaint about the game till the standard edition got released 

• Agree 1

Welcome to the limitations of artificial intelligence.

The AI's straight line speed is fine, even on 110. They just use simplified physics, like in basically every modern sim and simcade. Run a telemetry tool and monitor the data while watching a lap from their POV (for instance, via doing 5 laps in Bahrain with the video benchmark tool) and you'll immediately see what I mean. Their straight line speed is just a result of them having significantly more grip than the player. Even then, because of the way the AI line is calculated, there are many corners on many tracks where they won't beat you because they simply drive far below their potential, and while the extent to which they do so is heavily determined by the difficulty and the individual AI driver stats, even the highest statted AIs on the highest difficulty will still leave a fair few tenths on the table.

Fun fact: along with the simplified physics, every single year since 2014 they have run the same hidden traction assist that the gamepad has. This is a big reason for their extreme pace on tracks like Bahrain.

Having said all that, if even after reducing the difficulty by "a lot" from 2018 you're still losing time, then either you still need time to get used to the cars or something is wrong with your wheel and the settings you use. Even with the default settings with my G27 I have next to no issues feeling everything that I need to feel, so much so that I'm much faster and more comfortable than in 2018. From the sound of it, you're struggling massively with traction, so practice that more.

Edited by Coffer