Headset Advice

Hi all, need a bit of advice please! My Turtle Beach P12’s have given up. The mic isn’t working and I have 2 questions that I can’t seem to find the answer to on tinternet. 

1. Can I use the inline usb connector that my Turtle Beaches use with ANY headset that connects via 3.5mm jack.

2. If not how do I use a headset that has a 3.5mm jack connector with my Thrustmaster T150 wheel as it doesn’t have a headphone socket like a controller. 

Use a PS4, and don’t really want to spend anymore than £30 on a new set. Any advice would be great please!

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kenuf said:

and don’t really want to spend anymore than £30 on a new set

There is your problem right there......   You aren't going to get good quality from something under that price.
I was in the same boat as you when it came to plugging in a headset so i just said forget that and went fully wireless.... No more problem...   You won't regret it if you invest in a fully wireless headset and they will last you a long time!

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Best sound and quality for the medium to high bucks can be achieved by buying yourself a proper Studio Mix Amp (USB + Optical connected), a External Studio Mic with a On / Off Switch and a Studio Headset.

I use...

...a Gaming Mix Amp from Astro and Creative and a Studio Mix Amp from SONY, make sure to get one that has the compatibility to consoles, meaning, it needs both a Optical and USB connection, but beware, if you use a PS4 Slim you can't use the Optical connection and might need a Optical to USB adapter / converter (don't know how it works on a PS4 Slim, i use the old original PS4 and the PS4 Pro and both have got a Optical output).

...five Studio Mics from ZaxSound, Audiotechnica, Marantz Professional, Sennheiser and SONY, make sure that your mic has got good noise cancellation and even better a switch to turn voice input on or off.

...two gaming headsets from Astro and Turtlebeach and three Studio headsets from Sennheiser, SONY and Audiotechnica.

For the MixAmp i can recommend the Astro A40 / Pro TR Gen4 (around 80 - 160 bucks) and or the Creative Soundblaster X G6 (around 90 - 250 bucks), you don't need anything from the Studio section here if your purpose is to get something for Gaming only imo.

For the Mics i can recommend ZaxSound and or Marantz Professional MPM1000, but you'll need a XLR to 3,5 mm adapter / converter for these to work (the adapter / converter can be bought really cheap), though ZaxSound is much cheaper at around 20 - 40 bucks.

For the headset i can recommend the SONY MDR7506, best audio you can get imo, very clear, no distortions, and i have been using this for my music and video productions for years and it never failed, always gave me the most accurate sound experience, even next to my Studio headsets from BOSE, Bayerdynamic, Audiotechnica and Sennheiser the SONY MDR7506 is my go to headset, costs around 60 - 120 bucks.

If you buy second hand you can go cheaper around 140 - 200, and first hand you will pay around 250 - 350 bucks.

If you were to buy a proper Studio MixAmp the price would increase massively up to minimum of 380 bucks second hand, but it is only recommended if you also want to do some Video / Music Productions.

Either way, once you go with this setup, you will never go back, sound and audio quality of both what you are hearing and how your mic will be heard by others is going to be phenomenal.

Of course, if you want to pay extremely small bucks you can go and grab a pair of Turtlebeach PX24's, very cheap, ok sound and mic quality but the ear cones are fragile and can hurt if you got bigger ears and or wear glasses especially as the padding is not very comfortable, next to that i can recommend another cheap gaming headset from Steelseries, Arctis 3 and Arctis 5, they bend quickly, but it has quite similar qualities and negatives to Turtlebeach, both companies are mass producing their products and hence they can be bought for even smaller bucks second hand.

Your choice, me personally, i'd go for quality over saving bucks, as it is on another level if you buy the correct hardware.

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Spelling error, format, new points of idea
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, kenuf said:

Hi all, need a bit of advice please! My Turtle Beach P12’s have given up. The mic isn’t working and I have 2 questions that I can’t seem to find the answer to on tinternet. 

1. Can I use the inline usb connector that my Turtle Beaches use with ANY headset that connects via 3.5mm jack.

2. If not how do I use a headset that has a 3.5mm jack connector with my Thrustmaster T150 wheel as it doesn’t have a headphone socket like a controller. 

Use a PS4, and don’t really want to spend anymore than £30 on a new set. Any advice would be great please!

Thanks!

10 hours ago, bluwaters said:

There is your problem right there......   You aren't going to get good quality from something under that price.
I was in the same boat as you when it came to plugging in a headset so i just said forget that and went fully wireless.... No more problem...   You won't regret it if you invest in a fully wireless headset and they will last you a long time!

Hi, went from wired to wireless. Best choice. I use the Sony Wireless Headset 2.0 for about three years now. Still happy with it.

goldhead-imageblock1-us-09sep14?$TwoColu

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I had the Turtle Beach Stealth and really like the wireless, but even with the amp etc they feel like $50 and not 3 to 4 times that.

If you use a headset often and especially if you primarily use one, Sennheiser GSP 500 are very good. At least with Xbox, you dont need an amp since you can run Atmos wireless through a controller.  These are extremely comfortably and sounds great. They also have an open back 600.

Downside with a wheel is I have to plug them into a separate controller. And F1 2019 is the only game where I have to keep the controller awake. YMMV

product_detail_x2_tablet_GSP600_03_1312x

Edited by DaleRossi
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! Really sound (get it?!) advice. Have to be honest if I spent over £50 on a headset I think my wife would divorce me...🤔 I don’t really play enough to warrant spending anymore than that, plus my kids sometimes get hold of them and use them with their iPad when they can’t be bothered to find their own headphones!! 

On 7/26/2019 at 8:39 AM, JackLane1982 said:

Hi, went from wired to wireless. Best choice. I use the Sony Wireless Headset 2.0 for about three years now. Still happy with it.

Had this one, found that jeff wasn't hearing me 90 out of 100 times. Mic is not so good.

i use Turtle Beach Elite 800 on PS Pro, love that thing. Noise cancellation is soooo good! My girl doesn't agree with that sometimes😇

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2019 at 4:39 PM, JackLane1982 said:

I have one of these too and it seems to work a treat.  The only thing I'd have different is the mic.  Not having a boom mic, this headset uses a condenser mic that pics up a wider array of sound from the room.  It does noise cancelling quite well, and seems to get rid of background noise........but if you're using a G29, it'll pick up the noise of your wheel for all to hear.

Can anyone confirm if using a headset with a boom mic reduces the nose from your wheel being picked up?  Going down the back straight of Suzuka my wheel sounds like a machine gun.

EDIT:  the post directly above mine pretty much answers my question.  Looks like I'm off to get a better headset with a better mic.

Edited by Ferrethead81
Info in post above

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, kenuf said:

Thanks guys! Really sound (get it?!) advice. Have to be honest if I spent over £50 on a headset I think my wife would divorce me...🤔 I don’t really play enough to warrant spending anymore than that, plus my kids sometimes get hold of them and use them with their iPad when they can’t be bothered to find their own headphones!! 

I can relate to that 😄 Well I cant personally recommend one of them, because I am not using any of them, but you could check out the Sharkoon Skiller SGH2, the Lioncast LX20 or the Nubwo N 2/7/11/12 series. All of them are pretty cheap and according to tests on Youtube the mic qualy is actually pretty good.

Edited by Jimmyslade

Turtle Beach 600 Stealth. Gets better reviews than the higher spec model, I compared all the leading headset in a store where I could demo them, this one came out on top for me. 

10 hours ago, Ferrethead81 said:

I have one of these too and it seems to work a treat.  The only thing I'd have different is the mic.  Not having a boom mic, this headset uses a condenser mic that pics up a wider array of sound from the room.  It does noise cancelling quite well, and seems to get rid of background noise........but if you're using a G29, it'll pick up the noise of your wheel for all to hear.

Can anyone confirm if using a headset with a boom mic reduces the nose from your wheel being picked up?  Going down the back straight of Suzuka my wheel sounds like a machine gun.

EDIT:  the post directly above mine pretty much answers my question.  Looks like I'm off to get a better headset with a better mic.

Go to your settings and adjust your mic sensitivity or bind a button for "Push to talk".. I can't stand it when people don't setup their mic properly and all you can hear is their engine noise and clicking / background noise. surely you can see your own name up the top right of the screen.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, kenuf said:

Get her something nice and it's always better to ask for forgiveness than permission. lol

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ryano12 said:

Go to your settings and adjust your mic sensitivity or bind a button for "Push to talk".. I can't stand it when people don't setup their mic properly and all you can hear is their engine noise and clicking / background noise. surely you can see your own name up the top right of the screen.

For sure I can see my name in the top right, that's why I've asked the question and seeking a solution.  Thanks for the heads up on mapping a button for voice, I wasn't aware I could do that.  Pretty sure I've got one button left spare so should work a treat.  FWIW - I mute myself on my headset until I need to talk.  But unfortunately when you mute yourself, you mute everyone else as well so you have no voice chat.

I use my qc35 and plug them into the handset while I use my wheel