Info Request - PS4 - Framerate issues

Question

Hi everyone,

We would like some further information from you in regards to the issue below. If you have experienced the issue, please respond with as much information as possible.

We have seen reports that some players are experiencing issues with the framerate on PS4s. If you have been experiencing this, please can you let us know the following things;

1. Are you on a base PS4 or PS4 Pro?
  2. Which game modes you are seeing the issue in?
  3. Roughly how long had you been playing for when you start seeing the issue?
  4. Are you using a headset? If so, what make/model?
  5. Are you using a wheel? If so, what make/model?
  6. Do you have any other peripherals plugged in?

Extra requests

1. If anyone could send us in any recent save games?
  2. A video from the booting of the game to seeing the issue

If you think there is any extra information that you think we should be aware of, please let us know in your post.

How to copy a save game from your PS4

1. Insert a USB drive in to your PS4.
  2. On the PS4 go to Settings, Application Saved Data Management, Saved Data In System Storage, Copy to USB Storage.
  3. Select your F1 save and copy it to the USB.
  4. Remove the USB and put it in to a PC.
  5. Compress the PS4 folder to a zip file.
  6. Send the file to us at community(AT)codemasters.com (replacing the (AT) with an @ )

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Max Sirman said:

For me the Issue goes after a flashback, and or changeable weather, it's just terrible to see the tearing from dry to wet... I think there is a common underlying symptom, any extra load ends with a huge impact on framerate and stability

Sounds like two different issues then. With UDP enabled, career mode genuinely looks like it's running at less than half the frame rate at all times, it makes the replays look incredibly fluid by comparison . When you turn it off it immediately returns to normal. You can actually flick back and forth to see the difference. 

Edited by Worntoathread

4 minutes ago, Worntoathread said:

Sounds like two different issues then. With UDP enabled, career mode genuinely looks like it's running at less than half the frame rate at all times, it makes the replays look incredibly fluid by comparison . When you turn it off it immediately returns to normal. You can actually flick back and forth to see the difference. 

If you can do me a favor, can you run a race with changeable weather (from dry to wet) in canada, (in the middle of the pack) 25%  or 50% will do, tell me if you see a lot of tearing in sector 1 and 2

Of course if you can

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Worntoathread said:

I found the cause of the issue; It's the UDP telemetry! As soon as I turn that off the frame rate returns to normal. Enable it again the problems comes back. 

@Faya I forgot go mention, this still goes for career mode only. UDP telemetry doesn't seem to effect the other modes, while its extremely obvious in career. 

@Max Sirman I'll see if I can give that a go later. But from what I've experienced in similar longer/crowded races with changeable weather etc, it never got anywhere near as bad as the career/UDP issue, in terms of frame rate at least.

Edited by Worntoathread

1 hour ago, Worntoathread said:

@Faya @RedDevilKT @Andrew210227 I found the cause of the issue; It's the UDP telemetry! As soon as I turn that off the frame rate returns to normal. Enable it again the problems comes back. 

Thanks @Worntoathread I'll check it right away when I get home today. Worst thing is I genuinely thought about testing this last week, but couldn't find the energy to boot up the game thinking it was probably a different issue anyway :classic_blink:

By the way, I always have the UDP telemetry on, so it's entirely possible that this is indeed the issue, it would also explain why some people have reported no issues.

Still needs to be fixed of course, as I use the UDP for dashboard purposes.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Worntoathread said:

@Faya @RedDevilKT @Andrew210227 I found the cause of the issue; It's the UDP telemetry! As soon as I turn that off the frame rate returns to normal. Enable it again the problems comes back. 

It worked for me! I want to kiss you:classic_love:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Worntoathread said:

Yup. Tried it and it’s a lot better. I do think it’s still not quite back to pre 1.06 levels though, but that might be because I’m now really paying attention to it where before I wasn’t. Do you have the feeling it’s as good as it was before?

Massive improvement though, thanks for checking and letting us know!

4 hours ago, Max Sirman said:

For me the Issue goes after a flashback, and or changeable weather, it's just terrible to see the tearing from dry to wet... I think there is a common underlying symptom, any extra load ends with a huge impact on framerate and stability

I think this is a different issue, that Ive encountered before, where the screen just starts tearing and flickering with occasional frame drops at times. Had this in Bahrain and China in S1 of my career mode(about 3 weeks ago). Thought this had been patched as I havent seen it since, at least not as bad as before.

This thread’s issue is about constant frame rate issues in career, immediately when you hit the track.

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, Andrew210227 said:

I think this is a different issue, that Ive encountered before, where the screen just starts tearing and flickering with occasional frame drops at times. Had this in Bahrain and China in S1 of my career mode(about 3 weeks ago). Thought this had been patched as I havent seen it since, at least not as bad as before.

This thread’s issue is about constant frame rate issues in career, immediately when you hit the track.

If this is a separate Issue @Faya, should I create a different tread?

I cannot prove it but the tearing on weather transition was not there before, at least I didnt see it, Awaiting your comments

Edited by Max Sirman

3 hours ago, Max Sirman said:

If this is a separate Issue @Faya, should I create a different tread?

I cannot prove it but the tearing on weather transition was not there before, at least I didnt see it, Awaiting your comments

Separate issue, I don't use telemetry at all and have the issue.

And yes Bahrain and China are worst for me too, just raced Spain and it was totally smooth all race and it was a very hard fought one at that so definitely tested the limits of action on screen!! Not completed a season yet so can't give a full list but am working on it at 25% race in career mode but I do all programs too so will take some time!

PROBLEM SOLVED: To me, I did the thing they mentioned here in this topic, with the telemetry settings turned off, and it came back to normal. Although I believe it shouldn't bug the game to leave that setting on.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ChironTheseus said:

And yes Bahrain and China are worst for me too, just raced Spain and it was totally smooth all race and it was a very hard fought one at that so definitely tested the limits of action on screen!! Not completed a season yet so can't give a full list but am working on it at 25% race in career mode but I do all programs too so will take some time!

@Faya @if this in your investigation as well???? again, should I escalate another issue?

On 7/31/2019 at 7:03 PM, Andrew210227 said:

Yup. Tried it and it’s a lot better. I do think it’s still not quite back to pre 1.06 levels though, but that might be because I’m now really paying attention to it where before I wasn’t. Do you have the feeling it’s as good as it was before?

Massive improvement though, thanks for checking and letting us know!

I'm not too sure but I think it's pretty similar to GP mode when you turn telemetry off. The regular frame drops already annoyed me before 1.06 well so I imagine it's about the same as it was. Just hoping they can fix this soon so we can continue career while still using telemetry. 

• Agree 1

On 7/26/2019 at 12:19 PM, Faya said:

Hi everyone,

We would like some further information from you in regards to the issue below. If you have experienced the issue, please respond with as much information as possible.

We have seen reports that some players are experiencing issues with the framerate on PS4s. If you have been experiencing this, please can you let us know the following things;

1. Are you on a base PS4 or PS4 Pro?
  2. Which game modes you are seeing the issue in?
  3. Roughly how long had you been playing for when you start seeing the issue?
  4. Are you using a headset? If so, what make/model?
  5. Are you using a wheel? If so, what make/model?
  6. Do you have any other peripherals plugged in?

Extra requests

1. If anyone could send us in any recent save games?
  2. A video from the booting of the game to seeing the issue

If you think there is any extra information that you think we should be aware of, please let us know in your post.

How to copy a save game from your PS4

1. Insert a USB drive in to your PS4.
  2. On the PS4 go to Settings, Application Saved Data Management, Saved Data In System Storage, Copy to USB Storage.
  3. Select your F1 save and copy it to the USB.
  4. Remove the USB and put it in to a PC.
  5. Compress the PS4 folder to a zip file.
  6. Send the file to us at community(AT)codemasters.com (replacing the (AT) with an @ )

1. PS4 Slim

2. Career only (haven't actually played other modes)

3. I've had it crop up anywhere from 5 mins to an hour or two into playing. The framerate drops for maybe half a second accompanied by screen tearing and then sorts itself. Seems to be pretty random though street circuits with lots of building assets crowded around seem to be more common (though that might just be me noticing it more)

4. No headset 

5. No wheel

6. Only have an external HDD plugged in.

Posted (edited)

Hi all, 

Thank you to everyone that's responded and sent in your save games! We've made some changes that we hope will help with this issue. These changes are in the 1.07 patch. 

Edited by Faya
Edited to try to make it clearer
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Faya said:

Hi all, 

Thank you to everyone that's responded and sent in your save games! We've made some changes that we hope will help with this issue. These changes are in the 1.07 patch. 

Nice to also put this in the patch notes...

Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2019 at 6:27 PM, Faya said:

Hi all, 

Thank you, career mode seems fine now with UDP enabled 👍

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Agree 1

Hi all,

Can anyone that had the issue pre-patch 1.07 let me know if you're seeing an improvement with your framerate with patch 1.07, please? Thanks!

35 minutes ago, Faya said:

Hi all,

Can anyone that had the issue pre-patch 1.07 let me know if you're seeing an improvement with your framerate with patch 1.07, please? Thanks!

Hi @Faya, Initially the frame rate has definitely improved for me in career, with telemetry enabled it was now pretty much the same as having it turned off, while it would have been unplayable before. For me it felt smooth enough now.

However after 1 or 2 races (career weekends) the problem came back, only this time it also caused the telemetry apps to lag massively, along with the bad frame rate. If this happens again or consistently I'll let you know.. 

It happens with me and 2 friends who play on unranked doing championships, it happened on f1 2018 aswell. I haven't experienced it on Career Mode.

-We all have base PS4.

-I have steering wheel, they have controllers.

-All use headsets.

-Happens whenever the first car pits.

100% i can confirm that it only happens for us when cars are in the pits, it happens 100% of the time aswell without fail on f1 2018 and f1 2019. We have done 300+ races on 25% over the 2 games so we are very clear on the cause for us. (When cars pit! AI or Player).

Just now, Shutler said:

It happens with me and 2 friends who play on unranked doing championships, it happened on f1 2018 aswell. I haven't experienced it on Career Mode.

-We all have base PS4.

-I have steering wheel, they have controllers.

-All use headsets.

-Happens whenever the first car pits.

100% i can confirm that it only happens for us when cars are in the pits, it happens 100% of the time aswell without fail on f1 2018 and f1 2019. We have done 300+ races on 25% over the 2 games so we are very clear on the cause for us. (When cars pit! AI or Player).

I can also confirm no change for us on any patch in either F1 2018 or F1 2019. It happened yesterday as per usual when cars pit.

On 8/5/2019 at 6:27 PM, Faya said:

Hi all, 

Thank you to everyone that's responded and sent in your save games! We've made some changes that we hope will help with this issue. These changes are in the 1.07 patch

Hi @Faya

After doing multiple career weekends since the patch, I've noticed that with 1.07 the frame rate has improved during practice and qualifying but it's still very very bad in races. (even compared to other game modes).

This was consistent for different tracks. At times, it got so bad during the races I had to stop playing. I haven't tried to turn off UDP telemetry (which seemed to fix the issue during practice sessions before the patch). 

A couple of things seem to worsen the issue; AI making pit stops and the safety car seem to reduce the frame rate to an unplayable state. This is on top of the already constantly reduced frame rate, it's just these things make it even worse.

I hope you can find something to improve this, career was nowhere near as bad before the 1.06 patch and the problem doesn't appear to be there at all in GP/championship mode.

@Andrew210227 and others, are you experiencing the same with 1.07? 

For me, I think this problem is solved, at least for me.

you still notice it during the pit stops but not like before.

Maybe another issue.