AI qualify on the optimum tyre for a one-stop if you do not make Q2

Noticed in the game that if you fail to make Q2, the AI will start the race with the optimum tyre for a one-stop. Noticed it in China, the entire grid started on mediums despite no rain that weekend, which means the top 10 runners all made Q3 via mediums and not softs which is a glitch. Saw the same thing in Spain, the entire grid started the race open mediums as though the AI used mediums to qualify for Q3

What's the issue? The AI should start on optimum tyres for a one stop race even when you do make Q2 on most tracks. It would be far more realistic. I'm disappointed that they don't. 

• Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, HDR10 said:

What's the issue? The AI should start on optimum tyres for a one stop race even when you do make Q2 on most tracks. It would be far more realistic. I'm disappointed that they don't. 

No, they shouldn't start on optimum tyres. You never see such situation in real life. Most of top 10 drivers (at least 7-8) always start on a used set of soft tyres, as they were fighting to get into Q3 until the last seconds of Q2. The whole gird starting on mediums is what's not realistic.

1 hour ago, kubakw said:

No, they shouldn't start on optimum tyres. You never see such situation in real life. Most of top 10 drivers (at least 7-8) always start on a used set of soft tyres, as they were fighting to get into Q3 until the last seconds of Q2. The whole gird starting on mediums is what's not realistic.

Most of the field has started on mediums for the last few races in real life.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, HDR10 said:

Most of the field has started on mediums for the last few races in real life.

I chcecked the last 3 races: Great Britain 4 cars from top10 on medium tyres, Austria - 3, France - 8, but for example the first 3 races of the season: Australia - 0, Bahrain - 0, China - 5.

It's really track depentent, but from the races I checked, only a few top tier cars (Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull) managed to qualify to Q3 on medium tyres. France is an exception due to extreme tyre degradation and overheating. On most tracks it's simply impossible to qualify to Q3 on medium tyres due to very competitive midfield. All top10 cars starting on medium tyre is not realistic. I recently went through qualifying in China and Spain (which are the tracks the topic author mentioned) and not a single car qualified on mediums while I participated in all parts of qualifying. He was eliminated in Q1 and suddenly every driver decided to run on medium tyres in Q2? That's obviously some kind of bug.

Edited by kubakw

Had same happen to me in german gp got knocked out of q1 and every driver started on medium and HDR10 no it isnt realistic if you watched the real f1 you wouldent of even mentioned your first comment as its only top teams who go for medium tyre for start of race and thats only cause the have the pace advantage over midfield to do that . If the was an threag from the top teams getting knocked out of q2 on mediums the will run soft . But the midfield always run the softest to make it into q3 . If you followed f1 you would know this

11 hours ago, HDR10 said:

Wait what? Have you been drinking?

In real life the teams normally use the softest tyre available to try and get into Q3. Sometimes, the top teams may try the middle (Medium) tyre like today. That is normally only the top two teams. This bug had all the teams using the medium which NEVER happens EVER in a dry qualifying.

It is most definitely a glitch that occurs if you do not make Q2 as I just tested it again in new career for China, I made Q2 and all the teams used softs to try and make Q3 which meant the top 10 all started on softs with everyone else on Mediums. When I did it without making Q2.......it happens again, we are all on mediums

46 minutes ago, Nastra100 said:

Wait what? Have you been drinking?

In real life the teams normally use the softest tyre available to try and get into Q3. Sometimes, the top teams may try the middle (Medium) tyre like today. That is normally only the top two teams. This bug had all the teams using the medium which NEVER happens EVER in a dry qualifying.

It is most definitely a glitch that occurs if you do not make Q2 as I just tested it again in new career for China, I made Q2 and all the teams used softs to try and make Q3 which meant the top 10 all started on softs with everyone else on Mediums. When I did it without making Q2.......it happens again, we are all on mediums

No, all you have to do is go back and look at how many of the top 10 have started the race on medium tyres over the last several races.

Hell, for France it was 80% of the top 10.

Again, I would much rather prefer this over everyone starting on softs literally every race. And since I'm doing Championship mode in a Mercedes, I qualify near the top every race, and barely anyone ever starts on mediums, which is unrealistic and disappointing. 

No it’s not realistic. If a team think they reach Q3 on harder compounds than they try. But i cannot remember a Q2 where some teams didn’t reach Q3 without trying the faster compound. It doesn’t make any sense. If i want to reach Q3 i would try all i can and wouldn’t say „ok, i would be 1sec faster with softs, but i don’t want to use them“ and then i‘m out wit 0,3sec behind the tenth place. Never seen anything like this in F1. 

Maybe France could be a reason because the track is harsh on tyres. In China this year only the first five drivers started on medium. All other drivers used the soft tyres in Q2 to reach Q3. 

1 hour ago, Akkan74 said:

No it’s not realistic. If a team think they reach Q3 on harder compounds than they try. But i cannot remember a Q2 where some teams didn’t reach Q3 without trying the faster compound. It doesn’t make any sense. If i want to reach Q3 i would try all i can and wouldn’t say „ok, i would be 1sec faster with softs, but i don’t want to use them“ and then i‘m out wit 0,3sec behind the tenth place. Never seen anything like this in F1. 

Maybe France could be a reason because the track is harsh on tyres. In China this year only the first five drivers started on medium. All other drivers used the soft tyres in Q2 to reach Q3. 

Yes, France was an outlier. Normally the 4 guys who are not of the top 3 teams to make Q3 (+ Gasly at the moment) will have always used the soft in Q2.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Akkan74 said:

France wasn't the only place it happened. There were other races where about half of the top 10 started on mediums.

As I said, while it's not 100% accurate, I would still rather everyone start on mediums, than everyone start on soft tyres every race. This would be far better than what's currently happening in my championship mode, where everyone starts on softs every single race. 

Of course, the ideal situation would be to have the top teams starting on mediums and the lower tier teams starting on softs, but this is apparently too much to ask for in an official F1 game.

Edited by HDR10