Xbox One X game performance vs PC performance

Posted (edited)

So I've had just about every F1 game released.. i've played many many hours on most of them. Safe to say I'm a big fan.

I enjoyed F1 2018, despite its... issues... and eagerly awaited F1 2019. I pre-ordered it on both Xbox and PC (having two groups of friends that play it, on different platforms).

I have to say, the Xbox One X version (4k) does not play very nicely at all, when compared to the PC version (also in 4k). The framerate doesn't feel very smooth (I highly doubt it's anywhere near 60fps, inclined to think 30fps), the controls feel twitchy and sometimes laggy, yet on the PC, G-Sync @ 60fps in 4k (and actually recorded/logged @ a capped 60fps), the game feels buttery smooth, more responsive and generally a lot more fun to play.

This is... disappointing. I guess we can only hope for performance optimisations for the console version of the game! I am currently installing the game on my regular Xbox One, to see if it's a nicer gameplay experience in 1080p.

Has anyone else had opportunity to play the game on both PC/Xbox One X for comparison?

Edited by MurdoD
typo
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

You're embarrassingly wrong. The Xbox One X runs the game at 60fps 100% of the time. Confirmed by DF, and by literally everyone who has played it, including myself.

Edited by HDR10
  • Disagree 2

It largely depends on what kind of rig you have for the purposes of PC the better the tech you have in your PC the better any game will run not just F1 games. Consoles are basically budget based PC's designed to play games at  as cheap a way as they can get away with that's always been the case and likely always will be. It's not that consoles don't try anything innovative but they always do it on a budget using the cheapest method they can get away with because they're designed to be budget machines that's why they don't normally cost more than £500. To get a top of the line PC quite often you'll have to pay 3 to 4 times that. I've not played the game on my Xbox just my PC but these are already established well known facts.

I went from xbox one original to console to PC with F1 2017 was a ridicilous difference even though my set up is only 1080p gtx 1060 6gb ryzen 1500x. So glad I switched.

I only had a 1080p tv so figured the new xbox x would play simarly to a pc on high?

I have the Xbox One X and I have not been disappointed with performance. F1 2019 runs superbly on it at 4k 60fps and looks amazing when connected to a 4k HDR tv.

Last night I used the photo/replay mode and noticed the detail on my badly worn 70% intermediate tyres in a wet to dry race and even seen the worn rubber tread. Awesome.

6 hours ago, AdamFreeman said:

I only had a 1080p tv so figured the new xbox x would play simarly to a pc on high?

It does. Xbox One X runs F1 2019 in constant 60fps, as the video I posted confirms.

OP is either lying, or there are serious issues with his unit.

2 hours ago, Jajb said:

Yeah Xbox One X here too, game is awesome in 4k 60fps HDR. Either the OP has an issue with his console or he has been playing online in a very laggy glitchy race

The OP is just trolling. The Xbox One X runs this game flawlessly in 60fps. It was actually the PC that has had issues, with many users here and on reddit complaining about stuttering. Then you have the PS4 Pro and regular PS4, which both drop frames.

All of this is confirmed by Digital Foundry.

The Xbox One X actually runs this game better and more consistently than any other platform.

• Confused 1
  • Disagree 1

This thread is probably a good place for me to float this question.  I have both an XBox One X and a PC that's capable of running games at probably 90 to 95% of the performance level of the X.  I want to buy F1-2019, but I can't decide which version to go with for three reasons:

1.) Steam just put the PC version on sale for $41.99

2.) Every racing game that I've played that had XBox One and PC versions ALWAYS had better steering wheel and force feedback effects on the PC.

3.) Most of my friends who are racers, and do F1, are on the XBox One.

That being said, I can't decide which way to go.  I currently play F1-2018 on my XBox One X, thanks to Game Pass.  It's good, but the force feedback and steering wheel handling effects are just slightly more than functional.  Would I enjoy the game on the PC, with F1-2019 and what I *think* will be better and more subtle force feedback effects (based on history), especially at like 70% of the cost of the XBox One version, to make the PC version the obvious choice this year?

HDR10 you are a rude, ignorant human being.

I am not trolling.

There is NOTHING wrong with my One X, I am a BIG fan of the console. I couldn't care less what some random YouTube video supposedly "proves"...

I know for a fact, categorically, that the game does NOT run as smoothly on my One X as it does on my PC. So much so, that although I have never made a youtube video before, I am going to create one, showing the One X performance side by side with my PC Performance.

"F1 2019 runs superbly on it at 4k 60fps and looks amazing when connected to a 4k HDR tv."

Well, on my 4K HDR tv, in performance mode, I disagree. It looks superb, but it plays "nice". On the PC, it looks superb, it plays superb.

One question to the One X players, just curious... when you are sitting behind the steering wheel, in the pits, and you press X to bring up the Monitors where you edit your car setup etc, does that stutter for you? The animation when the screen comes into focus... genuine question here.

HDR10 is clearly nothing more than an Xbox console fanboy. "The Xbox One X actually runs this game better and more consistently than any other platform." It categorically does NOT run better than on my i9, RTX2080ti PC. If you think a so-called "60fps" on the One X in 4k with LIMITED graphical engine settings is "better" than 100fps 4k in Ultra on my PC, you clearly have never played a game on a decent PC.

For those of you who think this is me targeting the One X, or trolling, or whatever else, you are wrong. I LOVE the console, have had it since day one (and every other xbox previously) and really enjoy being able to just switch on and play, without the hassle of booting up the pc blah blah blah. But the fact remains, I get smoother, faster, nicer gameplay in F1 2019 on my PC than on the xbox. F1 2018 on the other hand, very comparable performance on both the Xbox and the PC.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OnlookerDelay said:

This thread is probably a good place for me to float this question.  I have both an XBox One X and a PC that's capable of running games at probably 90 to 95% of the performance level of the X.  I want to buy F1-2019, but I can't decide which version to go with for three reasons:

1.) Steam just put the PC version on sale for $41.99

2.) Every racing game that I've played that had XBox One and PC versions ALWAYS had better steering wheel and force feedback effects on the PC.

3.) Most of my friends who are racers, and do F1, are on the XBox One.

That being said, I can't decide which way to go.  I currently play F1-2018 on my XBox One X, thanks to Game Pass.  It's good, but the force feedback and steering wheel handling effects are just slightly more than functional.  Would I enjoy the game on the PC, with F1-2019 and what I *think* will be better and more subtle force feedback effects (based on history), especially at like 70% of the cost of the XBox One version, to make the PC version the obvious choice this year?

Few things to consider here.

1. What steering wheel setup have you got?
2. What is your PC spec?
3. You mentioned your friends play on console.... will you not miss racing against them if you switch to PC this year? I had a similar dilema, in that the folks I usually race against are on PC, so I bought it for PC. Then a couple of other friends got it for xbox.. so I ended up getting it there too!

I did some further testing (after watching the video from Digital Foundry that HDR10 posted) because my experience is nothing like what was shown in that video... I found two things.

1. The entire video uses the "Chase" camera.. so I switched to this view and the game did feel/seem smoother.

2. I heard the guy mention the game uses adaptive vsync tech for the tearing... which got me thinking about the "Game mode" on my TV... so, I disabled Game Mode on the tv, as well as disabled HDR in the xbox settings ("lighten the load" kinda thinking).

This seems to have done the trick. The game does feel smoother, faster now, but I will say this.. in the "chase" view of the car, the game feels smoother than in any of the "in car" views. I guess this could be down to the POV shaking etc that happens in-car, despite turned that down to zero in the graphics settings.. so it's less performance issue, more just how it's designed.

All in all, "Game Mode" on my Samsung seems to be more to blame here than anything else, got me thinking if I'd enjoy other xbox games more with this disabled.. I'll need to have a try!

Depending on the model of TV game mode can mess with picture quality processing to bring overall lag down

I can confirm the performance of Xbox One X is flawless, there were a few graphical bugs in 1.03 but that was all fixed w/ 1.05. No lag, no screen tear.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MurdoD said:

HDR10 you are a rude, ignorant human being.

I am not trolling.

There is NOTHING wrong with my One X, I am a BIG fan of the console. I couldn't care less what some random YouTube video supposedly "proves"...

I know for a fact, categorically, that the game does NOT run as smoothly on my One X as it does on my PC. So much so, that although I have never made a youtube video before, I am going to create one, showing the One X performance side by side with my PC Performance.

"F1 2019 runs superbly on it at 4k 60fps and looks amazing when connected to a 4k HDR tv."

Well, on my 4K HDR tv, in performance mode, I disagree. It looks superb, but it plays "nice". On the PC, it looks superb, it plays superb.

One question to the One X players, just curious... when you are sitting behind the steering wheel, in the pits, and you press X to bring up the Monitors where you edit your car setup etc, does that stutter for you? The animation when the screen comes into focus... genuine question here.

HDR10 is clearly nothing more than an Xbox console fanboy. "The Xbox One X actually runs this game better and more consistently than any other platform." It categorically does NOT run better than on my i9, RTX2080ti PC. If you think a so-called "60fps" on the One X in 4k with LIMITED graphical engine settings is "better" than 100fps 4k in Ultra on my PC, you clearly have never played a game on a decent PC.

For those of you who think this is me targeting the One X, or trolling, or whatever else, you are wrong. I LOVE the console, have had it since day one (and every other xbox previously) and really enjoy being able to just switch on and play, without the hassle of booting up the pc blah blah blah. But the fact remains, I get smoother, faster, nicer gameplay in F1 2019 on my PC than on the xbox. F1 2018 on the other hand, very comparable performance on both the Xbox and the PC.

Thanks for confirming that you are indeed trolling. Probably a Sony fangirl who is bitter that the Xbox one X is thoroughly outperforming your cheap console once again.

The part about Digital Foundry being a "random YouTuber" was a dead giveaway. Digital Foundry is by far the most well known and respected group of game technology analysts on the planet. They've been doing this for two decades. They conducted a thorough analysis of the performance of the Xbox One X, and in their own words, they threw everything at it (rain, 19 cars ahead in the field) and it did not drop a single frame.

You've also got literally every Xbox One X owner in this thread telling you that the performance on it is a flawless 60fps.

Stop trolling.

Edited by HDR10

4 hours ago, MurdoD said:

I did some further testing (after watching the video from Digital Foundry that HDR10 posted) because my experience is nothing like what was shown in that video... I found two things.

1. The entire video uses the "Chase" camera.. so I switched to this view and the game did feel/seem smoother.

2. I heard the guy mention the game uses adaptive vsync tech for the tearing... which got me thinking about the "Game mode" on my TV... so, I disabled Game Mode on the tv, as well as disabled HDR in the xbox settings ("lighten the load" kinda thinking).

This seems to have done the trick. The game does feel smoother, faster now, but I will say this.. in the "chase" view of the car, the game feels smoother than in any of the "in car" views. I guess this could be down to the POV shaking etc that happens in-car, despite turned that down to zero in the graphics settings.. so it's less performance issue, more just how it's designed.

All in all, "Game Mode" on my Samsung seems to be more to blame here than anything else, got me thinking if I'd enjoy other xbox games more with this disabled.. I'll need to have a try!

The game runs equally as smooth in cockpit or T-cam. I've tested and confirmed. HDR doesn't make any difference on performance. Even the base Xbox One and PS4 support HDR with no hit to performance.

Samsung make incredibly bad TVs. Game mode should not be causing you any problems, but because it's a Samsung, who knows. Buy a better TV next time.

7 hours ago, MurdoD said:

Few things to consider here.

1. What steering wheel setup have you got?
2. What is your PC spec?
3. You mentioned your friends play on console.... will you not miss racing against them if you switch to PC this year? I had a similar dilema, in that the folks I usually race against are on PC, so I bought it for PC. Then a couple of other friends got it for xbox.. so I ended up getting it there too!

I have a Thrustmaster TX leather, with T3PA pedals.  My PC specs are as follows:

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

I use a TCL Series 6, 55" 4K Ultra HD TV for my display on both the XBox One X and the PC.

A couple of my friends are playing the game now on XBox One and One X.  They are discussing forming an online league, but the numbers to justify it aren't there yet, IMO.  I know that once F1 2019 goes on sale on XBox Live, there will be more of them who pick it up and raise the demand for a league.

I haven't read a whole lot about how these new online leagues are working out, but on paper it looks like a very attractive feature.  I can see spending a lot of time in Career mode, but if the online league mode works well, I can see the majority of my time spent with it.  I won't rule out the possibility of finding a PC online league that suits me either.  For some reason, I just don't game that much on my PC anymore, whereas prior to the XBox One and PS4, I spent 75% of my gaming time on the PC.

I just picked the game up Monday for the XBox One X.  I have not experienced any frame rate slowdown or pausing of any sort.  I just did two Grand Prix season (using the 1976 Ferrari 312 T2 ) races at 25%, with the AI set to 46%.  I qualified 13th in the first one and got off to a slow start and wound up 15th.  The second race I qualified 17th, climbed to 15th, fell back to 17th and raced in a pack of four cars (14th through 17th) for the majority of the race, managing only to temporarily pass the 16th place car, only to get squeezed out in the next turn.  I finally made a pass with a half lap to go when the 16th place car got too much kerb trying to pass the 15th place car.  He lost momentum and I managed to complete the pass and maintain it, although he had another go at me coming off the last turn!

I'm finding the AI in this game to be incredibly lifelike.  It was like the other drivers were playing a very calculated game of chicken with me, while not crossing the line and being unsporting.  This is easily the most captivating F1 game I've played, although I've probably only played maybe a third of those in this series.  For some reason, I sat them out from 15 to 17, picking up 18 only after it was placed on Game Pass.

I've been able to get distinctive feel on the Classic and F2 cars via the force-feedback, which I find more realistic than that of F1 2018.  I'll be tweaking the wheel settings for months to come probably before I get them dialed in, as the 1976 Ferrari 312 T2, the F2, and the F1 cars each call for unique adjustments to their force feedback and wheel calibration to make them feel right to me.  Overall, I'm very satisfied with this game and have no regrets about picking it up at $42! 😄

OTOH, I've yet to be able to get into an online race with a connection level of acceptable quality.  It sounds like that's where the force feedback issues are going to reveal themselves, but at least I've got a game that I know will get the job done in Grand Prix mode.