My full practice programme

Posted (edited)

Here's my career mode practice programme for career mode hope it helps got help last year myself off here so thought I'd share...

P1 
Use 2 set of mediums for track acclimatisation/ers programme (1st set of mediums) fuel programme/tyre wear programme (2nd set of medium)

P2
Race strategy (hard and soft) compound may also do a dummy qualy run and note the laptime.

P3
Race strategy (medium compound) 
Qualy run (soft).

Edited by gtfclad82

I only play championship mode. You can’t use 2 sets of mediums in FP1. Helpful though.

what does the race strategy entail in FP3? I’ve never played career mode

thanks

13 minutes ago, peanutt2000 said:

I only play championship mode. You can’t use 2 sets of mediums in FP1. Helpful though.

what does the race strategy entail in FP3? I’ve never played career mode

Race strategy in fp3 is the same weather you do them in P1 2 or 3..

Posted (edited)

I usually do this

FP1: I first do Race Strategy with Hards and then Mediums. Then I do Track Acclimatization with used Hards, then Tyre, Fuel & ERS Management with used Mediums

FP2: Quali Sim with Softs, then Race Strategy with another set of Softs

FP3: I just do 10 laps with the remaining Medium tires and with full fuel load just to get an idea on how the car will handle in the first part of the race.

Edited by AvengerGR35

I usually do track acclimatisation and race strategy with the same set of hards, then tyre wear on mediums in FP1. Race strategy on a set of mediums, then ers, and fuel management on another set of mediums in FP2. Then race strategy on softs, followed by quali sim on softs right at the end of FP3

Yea good variaty and different ways of completing practice sessions  The reason I leave the race strategy sessions to atleast fp2 is because you get a better reading of strategy come race day because the track is more rubbered in by then and that better replicates raceday.

• Agree 1

Does doing the race strategy in FP2 and FP3 give you more accurate fuel and tyre readings for raceday in Career is there enough variation?

19 minutes ago, TomAAA said:

Does doing the race strategy in FP2 and FP3 give you more accurate fuel and tyre readings for raceday in Career is there enough variation?

I'd say tyre reading would be more accurate yes because you won't be sliding as much as in a green FP1 session when doing your race strategy. I'm in a career with Williams so also I tend not to use DRS in practice programme's because I don't anticipate to be battling all that much with being a back marker team so I avoid it to again best replicate raceday.

P1 I like to do Track Acclimation, Tire Management, and Fuel Management (on the Mediums I used for the Tire Management test). Then P2 I do my Qualifying sim and Race Pace tests because P2 is at the same time of day as Qualifying and the Race. In P3 I do the ERS test and fine tune my setup.

I usually do this for my free practice

FP1

Track acclimitisation and tyre wear

FP2 quali and race pace (mostly because FP2 is at the same time as quali and race.)

FP3 fuel and a second race pace run on a different tyre compound.

Posted (edited)

These days, because the practice sessions are generally easier, I focus more on getting every single program out of the way as soon as possible so my race strategy programme runs are as accurate as possible.

FP1: Tyre wear, ERS, fuel and acclimatization (in that order specifically as the first 2 are by far the hardest practice programmes) on a single set of mediums, followed by 1 quali lap on a set of softs and 5 race strategy laps on the same set of softs to simulate starting in the top 10, even if I have no hope of making it into Q3.

FP2: Race strategy on the second set of mediums and the sole set of hards.

FP3: I have 10 free laps at my disposal (and if you want to get the absolute maximum number of resource points you need to do at least 10 laps in every practice session). If I've perfected every single programme on the first try as I usually do, I often just do 10 laps on maximum fuel with no DRS with either the softs or the mediums, depending on what felt more comfortable in the race strategy runs (usually the mediums). Ideally I'll want to get everything done before this session as the grip level rises a bit between FP2 and FP3, which can throw off some of my calculations. I can do fewer than 10 if I feel I understand the car enough on high fuel and may need to get in the groove before qualifying, but I never do fewer than 5 max fuel laps. The Williams badly needs those laps.

All this is assuming the entire weekend is dry, otherwise I switch things around depending on the forecast (like getting 10 laps with max fuel on inters/full wets if it's going to rain in the race and it rains in at least one practice session).

Edited by Coffer

FP1
Track aclimatisation - Hard (1-new)

Tyre wear - medium (1-new)

ERS - medium (1-used)

FP2

Race strategy - medium (2-new)

Race strategy - soft (1-new)

FP3

Quali sim - soft (2-new)

Fuel - medium (3-new)

what do you guys do with fuel and ERS, considering that we all have only 2-3 engine components and using Rich mix and High ERS has a negative effect on those engine parts...

I always try to keep mine at medium. I'd like to even switch to lean/low but I doubt I would complete most of the program.

• Disagree 1

Lots of variety with these Practice Sessions, which is a good thing; each to their own 👍

I'd just like to add that when I do any Fuel, Tyre, or Race Strategy Practice (Testing), I only use Normal Fuel Mix, and I don't use the DRS.

I do this because in an actual race I only get to occasionally use the Rich Fuel Mixture or DRS, so practicing without these seems to give me a better indication of my (Race) Fuel use, Tyre wear and actual Race Pace.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Coffer said:

These days, because the practice sessions are generally easier, I focus more on getting every single program out of the way as soon as possible so my race strategy programme runs are as accurate as possible.

FP1: Tyre wear, ERS, fuel and acclimatization (in that order specifically as the first 2 are by far the hardest practice programmes) on a single set of mediums, followed by 1 quali lap on a set of softs and 5 race strategy laps on the same set of softs to simulate starting in the top 10, even if I have no hope of making it into Q3.

FP2: Race strategy on the second set of mediums and the sole set of hards.

FP3: I have 10 free laps at my disposal (and if you want to get the absolute maximum number of resource points you need to do at least 10 laps in every practice session). If I've perfected every single programme on the first try as I usually do, I often just do 10 laps on maximum fuel with no DRS with either the softs or the mediums, depending on what felt more comfortable in the race strategy runs (usually the mediums). Ideally I'll want to get everything done before this session as the grip level rises a bit between FP2 and FP3, which can throw off some of my calculations. I can do fewer than 10 if I feel I understand the car enough on high fuel and may need to get in the groove before qualifying, but I never do fewer than 5 max fuel laps. The Williams badly needs those laps.

All this is assuming the entire weekend is dry, otherwise I switch things around depending on the forecast (like getting 10 laps with max fuel on inters/full wets if it's going to rain in the race and it rains in at least one practice session).

Yeah all mine aer based on if al sessions aer dry if they aren't then the order can and does sometimes change.

P1:

Track acclimatisation

Tyre wear

P2:

Fuel

Race strategy

P3:

Ers

Qualy

Fast and simple

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

wow, what a variety! I was still doing all I could in FP1, leaving only Race Pace for FP2 and Qualifying Sim for FP3. I do this mostly to preserve engine and gearbox (FP3 you have to use the race gearbox).

At best I was (sometimes) running Race Pace program twice, with two different compounds just to see if I could drive fast enough with the Hard and make a 1 stop strategy.

Could you guys please point out to me what are the flaws of my way of going through FP sessions? I mean what changes in splitting all the programs like you guys do, rather than doing all you can in FP1.

Also, does anything change if you successfully complete the programs or you fail them (other than getting R&D Points)??? Do the programs really have an effect on Projected/Personalized strategies?

Thanks

Edited by Voznik
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Voznik said:

Hi all,

wow, what a variety! I was still doing all I could in FP1, leaving only Race Pace for FP2 and Qualifying Sim for FP3. I do this mostly to preserve engine and gearbox (FP3 you have to use the race gearbox).

At best I was (sometimes) running Race Pace program twice, with two different compounds just to see if I could drive fast enough with the Hard and make a 1 stop strategy.

Could you guys please point out to me what are the flaws of my way of going through FP sessions? I mean what changes in splitting all the programs like you guys do, rather than doing all you can in FP1.

Also, does anything change if you successfully complete the programs or you fail them (other than getting R&D Points)??? Do the programs really have an effect on Projected/Personalized strategies?

Thanks

The race pace one does and I think the fuel one does as well because in some of the races  I've managed to get away with as much as half a lap less fuel in the tank so for example for a 14 lap race I've been cut back to 13.5 laps because I've been able to conserve fuel  whilst still going relatively quickly.

FP1 - Track Acclimatisation on Hards, Tyre wear and fuel management on same set of Mediums

FP2 - ERS on Mediums, Quali Sim on Softs

FP3 - Race Strategy on Mediums

When I finish with R&D I'll switch to

FP1 - Track Acclimitisation and Race Strategy on Hards, then little bit of running on Mediums

FP2 - Quali on Softs, Race Strategy on same set of Softs and Mediums

FP3 - Continual running on high fuel on Mediums and then a super low fuel hotlap on Softs followed by more laps on high fuel