Sign in to follow this  

Parc Ferme Race with Dry and Wet - Tire Pressure?

I realize you have to sacrifice somewhere in this situation, but what is a good rule of thumb to do with tire pressure?  2 PSI less than normal and try to manage the heat when it is dry? Or much less PSI or what? I'm completely lost with this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

I realize you have to sacrifice somewhere in this situation, but what is a good rule of thumb to do with tire pressure?  2 PSI less than normal and try to manage the heat when it is dry? Or much less PSI or what? I'm completely lost with this.

I tend to look at the weather predictions to see if its going to be dryer or wetter for longer and go off on that it's a tough one but that's how I come to my decision personally. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gtfclad82 said:

I tend to look at the weather predictions to see if its going to be dryer or wetter for longer and go off on that it's a tough one but that's how I come to my decision personally. 

If it is predominantly wet, how many PSI less do you go? (Assuming you dont adjust front wing downforce etc)

If I'm on a track like monza I go down 1 click for the straights mainly and 2 clicks if I'm at a track say like Spain. I make the same decision also based on front down force +1 monza +2 Spain.I Try also to drive off the racing line on the main straights when it's wet to cool my tyres which helps towards tyre wear and gain a few more laps out the wet or intermediate tyre.

1 hour ago, DaleRossi said:

If it is predominantly wet, how many PSI less do you go? (Assuming you dont adjust front wing downforce etc)

Edited by gtfclad82
Added content
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, gtfclad82 said:

If I'm on a track like monza I go down 1 click for the straights mainly and 2 clicks if I'm at a track say like Spain. I make the same decision also based on front down force +1 monza +2 Spain.I Try also to drive off the racing line on the main straights when it's wet to cool my tyres which helps towards tyre wear and gain a few more laps out the wet or intermediate tyre.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

• Like 1

I think that we should have separate tyre pressure settings for all compounds. It's acutally quite stupid to set pressure which is then used for all kinds of tyres.  Tyre temperatures are so important in this game and softs obviously need different pressure for optimal temperature than hards or wets.

• Agree 1

Interesting topic and input. For me it's track dependent on the extremities (very high downforce tracks & very low downforce tracks) while on the more balanced circuits I tend to have the front tire pressures set for dry and the rear has much less. The idea behind the approach is that usually the front tires heat up & wear more in the dry and vice versa in the wet. Also, in the wet rear-end grip is more important than front.

EDIT. Forgot to mention that I find managing rear tire temps easier than front tire temps.

Edited by janbonator

This is one of the few things I can't stand... The Parc Ferme rule doesn't actually exist if, let's say, you have wet qualifying and dry race or vice versa... Teams are allowed to change the car is different conditions effect the race (which makes absolute sense considering all they are doing for safety!). 

I keep my Parc Ferme rule option OFF and manage it myself. 

Dunno what you guys think...

Cars are still under Parc ferme rules in a wet dry qualy-race irl you can only change what you can change in game like the front wing aero / brake bias and on throttle diff. You just need to compromise and work out which way to go on your car setup before being under Parc ferme rules @Voznik

45 minutes ago, gtfclad82 said:

Cars are still under Parc ferme rules in a wet dry qualy-race irl you can only change what you can change in game like the front wing aero / brake bias and on throttle diff. You just need to compromise and work out which way to go on your car setup before being under Parc ferme rules @Voznik

I checked the regulations (!) and you are correct! Well, you are more correct than me at least...More changes than the usual are allowed when there is a "Change in Climatic Conditions" but I expected much more than what actually is allowed to be modified. 

Darn, I guess now I have to go back and switch on Parc Ferme rules on my career....

On a general note though, I think this is ridiculous considering all they (F1, FIA) are doing for safety (see Halo, new helmet specs, etc.), still letting people compromising on setup which is crucial for safety! I'm a bit shocked... Sorry for the Off topic

12 hours ago, Voznik said:

I checked the regulations (!) and you are correct! Well, you are more correct than me at least...More changes than the usual are allowed when there is a "Change in Climatic Conditions" but I expected much more than what actually is allowed to be modified. 

Darn, I guess now I have to go back and switch on Parc Ferme rules on my career....

On a general note though, I think this is ridiculous considering all they (F1, FIA) are doing for safety (see Halo, new helmet specs, etc.), still letting people compromising on setup which is crucial for safety! I'm a bit shocked... Sorry for the Off topic

All the FIA do for safety is visible. The teams do all they can to gain performance within the confines of legality (inside the regulations). They had to be told (ordered) to run the tyres in the correct rotation and mandated to maintain minimum recommended pressures.

There is no minimum or maximum wing setting for conditions, just the technical regulations that permit specific designs. How the teams operate is between them and the driver, ultimately. When drivers ask for more speed, what they generally want is confidence and predictability from the car.