New View, New Challenges, and New Enthusiasm

I saw this earlier and thought it was hilarious. These guys are sitting in a proper cockpit and still using a jacked up view. Lando wasn't having it lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, johnboy83 said:

I use a pad which is why I Think I struggle with the breaks and throttle. 

It's possible. I used a pad with Forza etc forever and no assists; it takes some getting used to. For brakes, you will have to experiment with the pressures that work for you. Remember the faster you are going, the harder you can brake without locking up. The first application of brakes should be the hardest and then trail off. 

Throttle is going to feel like you're in the rain for a bit and then you'll get it. 

Do any of you long time players sit further back from the screen? If so, do you have a FOV you like?

By necessity, I sit 13' back and at an angle, so FOV is never ideal. -45 seems to be what I landed on, but nothing ever feels great. 😕

15 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

Do any of you long time players sit further back from the screen? If so, do you have a FOV you like?

By necessity, I sit 13' back and at an angle, so FOV is never ideal. -45 seems to be what I landed on, but nothing ever feels great. 😕

Do you mean 13 feet back? You're using a wheel, right? If so it's pretty insane that you're able to drive at all... The FOV calculators I've found max out at half that distance. 

I guess in that case you should probably just put the FOV at the largest -/- setting.

• Agree 1

Just use fov calculator for correct fov but on single monitor is almost unusable

• Agree 1

I'm really enjoying the game more and more with each race!! Second season with McLaren alongside Sainz (Norris went to Renault after S1), and getting the car sorted out more now.....Hoping to make it a frontrunner for S3!

Wow, what a move from me! 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew210227 said:

Do you mean 13 feet back? You're using a wheel, right? If so it's pretty insane that you're able to drive at all... The FOV calculators I've found max out at half that distance. 

I guess in that case you should probably just put the FOV at the largest -/- setting.

Yeah, it sucks.lol  I tried that, but hole **** it was a messed up view.  Maybe I can temporarily move everything up for certain races, but it isn't a great experience and makes it difficult.  

Yes, wheel user. I can make Assetto work alright. PCARS 2 is even worse, and Dirt 2.0 works alright since there is no FOV adjustment.

I just figure so many use controllers from sofas that they have decent settings. It gets frustrating.lol

On 7/29/2019 at 8:57 PM, Marty_K_ said:

Hi @SturmDesTodes and @SIMRACER123, I appreciate the advice. I'm about to try it, and see what works for me 👍 I can't remember what Look to Apex is set at the moment. 

Might try it as well for myself. Out of curiosity is your real name Marty K? my name is marty k as well. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Might try it as well for myself. Out of curiosity is your real name Marty K? my name is marty k as well. 

Confirmed Marty K 😁

BTW, I tinkered with the Look to Apex, and I like it at 0. The settings the other way made me feel like I was swaying around on a moving Ship.

All the best, ….Marty, ...eer Chromatic 😊

Edited by Marty_K_
  • Agree 2

Look to Apex..if you dont use triple monitors, it can be useful. It had to be added in increments and 6 or 7 seems to work pretty well.  

Also without ABS you will be faster in Qualy laps, as a little lock-up on the inside wheel will help you rotate the car way better in <90 Degree corners

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Marty_K_ said:

Confirmed Marty K 😁

BTW, I tinkered with the Look to Apex, and I like it at 0. The settings the other way made me feel like I was swaying around on a moving Ship.

All the best, ….Marty, ...eer Chromatic 😊

Ahww No problem Martin :classic_wink: As long as a third Martin Kay doesn't turn up it could alter the space time continuum you know.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2019 at 4:42 AM, farjam1990 said:

Also without ABS you will be faster in Qualy laps, as a little lock-up on the inside wheel will help you rotate the car way better in <90 Degree corners

Yes, confirmed 👍 Suprisingly I've found that I brake more effectively, without ABS 😲

I've almost got used to no TCS, ...but the occasional loss in concentration sees my car aggressively SNAP sideways.

AFTER EIGHT (8) CAREER GRAND PRIX (Length 100%, @ 60 AI)

Cockpit View = Comfortable & enjoying the enhanced realism.

No ABS = Comfortable & enjoying more effective braking.  It is very satisfying using a bit of extra skill to out-brake an opponent when not using ABS 👍

No TCS = Still a Work-In-Progress. Just got to focus more on being patient, and disciplined with this.

Note: I have absolutely nothing against those who use assists.  My best friends use Assists, and I hold nothing against them. Whatever makes you enjoy the game 👍 However, personally, after 10+ years as an assisted (F1) Gamer, my F1 Gaming enjoyment has now increased greatly, and I will never go back to T-Cam, ABS, or TC. Now I've just got to convince / train my mates to do the same 😉

Edited by Marty_K_
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

Look to Apex..if you dont use triple monitors, it can be useful. It had to be added in increments and 6 or 7 seems to work pretty well.  

It depends.

It's can make what is a quick stable set up at zero degrees suddenly feel really loose because it is swaying more in the corner and then you end up chasing your tail trying to adapt a set up that was already decent. 

• Agree 1

On 7/29/2019 at 10:29 AM, D4rio said:

Cockpit mode is so much more immersive and satisfying than t-cam view, when I first switched I couldn't come back to t-cam anymore. I might have lost some tenths a lap because of that but I regret nothing.

Good decision m8! Funny, I became faster when switching from T-cam to cockpit. 

On 7/29/2019 at 10:40 PM, DaleRossi said:

Default look to Apex us 4, iirc.

This is my first F1 game really since Sega Genesis. Lol Had 2013 or so, but never played it.  I do know, as with any "sim", your Diff settings will make or break a setup. Especially a no assist setup.

Can you go into this in a bit more detail. I am trying to master no assists but it’s just not happening. Maybe this can help me crack it. Tbh I generally just use the default set ups, and tweak the downforce to minimise over / understeer. I can’t really figure out what else to change. 

12 hours ago, SIMRACER123 said:

It depends.

It's can make what is a quick stable set up at zero degrees suddenly feel really loose because it is swaying more in the corner and then you end up chasing your tail trying to adapt a set up that was already decent. 

To be clear, this changes nothing on setup it's just getting used to the movement of the camera. Use 10° turn on your wheel to take a corner when look to apex = 0; use 10° turn on your wheel to take the same corner when look to apex = 8. No difference in stability or grip; just your mind/eyes believing the car is unstable as the camera turns a little. It's like this myth that playing in T-Cam gives you added grip over cockpit.

• Agree 3

On 7/29/2019 at 10:40 PM, DaleRossi said:

Default look to Apex us 4, iirc.

This is my first F1 game really since Sega Genesis. Lol Had 2013 or so, but never played it.  I do know, as with any "sim", your Diff settings will make or break a setup. Especially a no assist setup.

Can you go into this in a bit more detail. I am trying to master no assists but it’s just not happening. Maybe this can help me crack it. Tbh I generally just use the default set ups, and tweak the downforce to minimise over / understeer. I can’t really figure out what else to change. 

16 hours ago, Marty_K_ said:

Yes, confirmed 👍 Surprisingly I've found that I brake more effectively, without ABS 😲

I've almost got used to no TCS, ...but the occasional loss in concentration sees my car aggressively SNAP sideways.

AFTER EIGHT (8) CAREER GRAND PRIX (Length 100%, @ 60 AI)

Cockpit View = Comfortable & enjoying the enhanced realism.

No ABS = Comfortable & enjoying more effective braking.  It is very satisfying using a bit of extra skill to out-brake an opponent when not using ABS 👍

No TCS = Still a Work-In-Progress. Just got to focus more on being patient, and disciplined with this.

Note: I have absolutely nothing against those who use assists.  My best friends use Assists, and I hold nothing against them. Whatever makes you enjoy the game 👍 However, personally, after 10+ years as an assisted (F1) Gamer, my F1 Gaming enjoyment has now increased greatly, and I will never go back to T-Cam, ABS, or TC. Now I've just got to convince / train my mates to do the same 😉

It may have been mentioned before, but turning your On diff down to 50 will help a lot with traction. Particularly, coming out of hairpins.

Moving your throttle linearity to 15 to 25 helps, too.  Although, I'm on the fence about that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnboy83 said:

Sure. ON Diff set low (50 to 55) will help traction coming out of slow corners. Setting it High will help you accelerate.  

Off/Brake Diff..low settings will help the car turn in when off throttle. However, if you are over steering going into corners, turn the Off Diff up.

Brake bias helps, too. If you are trail brake focused, 50 to 54 are pretty standard. If you want our stopping power, 56 to 60.

You can adjust it during the lap, but that gets busy in anything but time trial.  IMO just leave it at 54 and that is a good balance. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

Sure. ON Diff set low (50 to 55) will help traction coming out of slow corners. Setting it High will help you accelerate.  

Off/Brake Diff..low settings will help the car turn in when off throttle. However, if you are over steering going into corners, turn the Off Diff up.

Brake bias helps, too. If you are trail brake focused, 50 to 54 are pretty standard. If you want our stopping power, 56 to 60.

You can adjust it during the lap, but that gets busy in anything but time trial.  IMO just leave it at 54 and that is a good balance. 

Thanks il give this a go!

• Agree 1

On 8/7/2019 at 3:36 PM, DaleRossi said:

It may have been mentioned before, but turning your On diff down to 50 will help a lot with traction. Particularly, coming out of hairpins.

Moving your throttle linearity to 15 to 25 helps, too.  Although, I'm on the fence about that.

I used to use 100 for linearity thinking the slower application of throttle would help with any sort of reduced TC. After seeing what some people on here have said, I’ve dropped linearity to 0 and am actually finding it easier to apply the throttle now as it’s more predict what the throttle will do. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, johnboy83 said:

I used to use 100 for linearity thinking the slower application of throttle would help with any sort of reduced TC. After seeing what some people on here have said, I’ve dropped linearity to 0 and am actually finding it easier to apply the throttle now as it’s more predict what the throttle will do. 

Upping the brake saturation can help if you're struggling to get the car stopped as quickly as you would like. With a wheel and pedals, it's almost impossible to brake as fast as someone with a controller. Brake saturation helps, though. I think I have it around 20, but it isnt perfect.

4 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

Upping the brake saturation can help if you're struggling to get the car stopped as quickly as you would like. With a wheel and pedals, it's almost impossible to brake as fast as someone with a controller. Brake saturation helps, though. I think I have it around 20, but it isnt perfect.

Is that with ABS?

I would have thought it would be harder to not to lock up increasing brake saturation 

2 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

I’m on a pad. Out of curiosity, any pad users out there, do you just use the bog standard Sony PS4 controller or do you have a different one?