New View, New Challenges, and New Enthusiasm

For 10+ years I've been the T-Bar (Camera) View, ABS Using, and TC (Medium) guy. I currently have a Logitech G29, setup in a Next Level GT-Ultimate seat. 

About a week ago I was inspired by others here (thank you people) to try Cockpit View, No ABS and No TC, ...and I have been pleasantly surprised.

No ABS: I thought that this would be my biggest challenge; locking up the wheels all over the place. However, after some Practice Sessions I quickly learnt to actually use the brake properly, and not just "jump" on the brakes, like I used to with ABS activated. I think that I now I actually stop better than when I had ABS. No ABS makes me drive the car now.

No TC: This has been my biggest challenge. No longer can I have the accelerator Flat-To-The-Floor while hopping over most of the kerbs (ala Arcade Style driving). I have be really disciplined on how I get power down to the rear tyres, especially after exiting the slower corners. And lets face it, you're simulated in a 600kg car with nearly 1,000hp, so it's certainly got to be a skill, a challenge, and not arcade-easy.  Practice-Discipline-Practice-Discipline. Having No TC makes me actually drive the car now.

Cockpit View: For me, this has been the easiest transition. I got used to Cockpit View quite quickly, and driving the car in this View has certainly enhanced (rejuvenated) my enjoyment of this game. It puts a totally different perspective on racing now; a much more challenging, and realistic version. The other cars appear much closer in this View, which certainly increases the heart-rate when fighting for position.

I did, however, delete the front-vertical bar (I forgot what its called) just below the Halo.

MISCELLANEOUS NOTES

Lowered AI Difficulty: I apologise if I made my transition to No Assists, and Cockpit View sound easy; ...because it isn't. It's certainly been a challenge and hence why I've had to lower the AI Difficulty from 90-Master (T-Bar Camera View, ABS & TC-Medium), to 60-Hard (Cockpit View, No ABS & No TC). For me this still allows for a very enjoyable and challenging racing experience. I'll increase the AI Difficulty as I improve my driving.

Mirrors?: I don't have any mirrors in Cockpit View, so I use Look-Back regularly.  Mirrors would be nice.

Safety Car: I'm about to race at Mexico (Race #18) of my first Season with Toro Rosso, and I am yet to see a Safety Car 😧 The last race, In Japan, the AI were bumping and ripping front wings off, but they experienced no "offs". It seems very difficult for the AI to spin, or venture into the gravel-traps; ...well I haven't seen it.

E-Sports Competitors: They should race in Cockpit View, and all E-Sport Races should be at 100%. Just my opinion 😊 

Enhanced (Renewed) Enthusiasm: Now I can't wait to race CodeMasters F1-2019 in Cockpit View and No Assists. Don't get me wrong, it is very challenging, but I don't want to race like an Arcade Gamer anymore; ...I want to experience the next best thing to actually driving a Formula One car. 

No I don't work for CodeMasters: I'm just a fan of F1, and I'm a fan of any Company that develops and promotes an F1 game for me to enjoy.

I'm now off to Mexico 👍 ☺️

FOV2.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 4

Hi Mate

Play around with your Camera Settings , whilst out on the track go into options and into the Camera Settings.

From there, you will see the effect of each setting on the view (greyed out a bit, but still visible)

You can get the Side Mirrors into your view with this, but its car dependant.

Meaning for example the View Settings that works for a Renault to get to see the mirrors, wont neccesarily work for a Torro Rosso etc.

I set mine up for the League Car that I will be Driving, but on other random Lobbies you might still have a problem then if selecting different vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Cockpit mode is so much more immersive and satisfying than t-cam view, when I first switched I couldn't come back to t-cam anymore. I might have lost some tenths a lap because of that but I regret nothing.

I agree too on Esports drivers should be forced to play in cockpit mode, I'm definitely not a fan of 100% race length though. 25% is more than enough

• Agree 4

I can recommend to increase Look To Apex angle to 15°, helps a bit to see the mirrors and the corners.

Also, if you got a very large monitor 40"+, you can use higher FOV's, making the mirrors even more visible.

Curved widescreen monitors are the best for this effect, but nothing beats a triplescreen setup, except maybe VR which is the ultimate visual racing experience.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Marty_K_ said:

For 10+ years I've been the T-Bar (Camera) View, ABS Using, and TC (Medium) guy. I currently have a Logitech G29, setup in a Next Level GT-Ultimate seat. 

About a week ago I was inspired by others here (thank you people) to try Cockpit View, No ABS and No TC, ...and I have been pleasantly surprised.

Great stuff! Happy to see others joining in from the dark side. :classic_cool:

As alluded to by others, the mirrors are a nuisance for cockpit drivers. It's possible to get them in view with some cars, but with most setups / drivers I wouldn't suggest doing so. Usually you have to take the camera so far back you end up driving with a "fish-eye lens" view, causing a false sense of speed. I have a 50" screen fairly close to me and I use a FOV of -0.45. Fiddle around and see what you like best. The annoying thing is how each car has different camera setups and you can't save them for each vehicle individually.

Best of luck brother.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Marty_K_ said:

No ABS: I thought that this would be my biggest challenge; locking up the wheels all over the place. However, after some Practice Sessions I quickly learnt to actually use the brake properly, and not just "jump" on the brakes, like I used to with ABS activated. I think that I now I actually stop better than when I had ABS. No ABS makes me drive the car now.

No TC: This has been my biggest challenge. No longer can I have the accelerator Flat-To-The-Floor while hopping over most of the kerbs (ala Arcade Style driving). I have be really disciplined on how I get power down to the rear tyres, especially after exiting the slower corners. And lets face it, you're simulated in a 600kg car with nearly 1,000hp, so it's certainly got to be a skill, a challenge, and not arcade-easy.  Practice-Discipline-Practice-Discipline. Having No TC makes me actually drive the car now.

Cockpit View: For me, this has been the easiest transition. I got used to Cockpit View quite quickly, and driving the car in this View has certainly enhanced (rejuvenated) my enjoyment of this game. It puts a totally different perspective on racing now; a much more challenging, and realistic version. The other cars appear much closer in this View, which certainly increases the heart-rate when fighting for position.

I did, however, delete the front-vertical bar (I forgot what its called) just below the Halo.

MISCELLANEOUS NOTES

Lowered AI Difficulty: I apologise if I made my transition to No Assists, and Cockpit View sound easy; ...because it isn't. It's certainly been a challenge and hence why I've had to lower the AI Difficulty from 90-Master (T-Bar Camera View, ABS & TC-Medium), to 60-Hard (Cockpit View, No ABS & No TC). For me this still allows for a very enjoyable and challenging racing experience. I'll increase the AI Difficulty as I improve my driving.

Mirrors?: I don't have any mirrors in Cockpit View, so I use Look-Back regularly.  Mirrors would be nice.

Safety Car: I'm about to race at Mexico (Race #18) of my first Season with Toro Rosso, and I am yet to see a Safety Car 😧 The last race, In Japan, the AI were bumping and ripping front wings off, but they experienced no "offs". It seems very difficult for the AI to spin, or venture into the gravel-traps; ...well I haven't seen it.

E-Sports Competitors: They should race in Cockpit View, and all E-Sport Races should be at 100%. Just my opinion 😊 

Enhanced (Renewed) Enthusiasm: Now I can't wait to race CodeMasters F1-2019 in Cockpit View and No Assists. Don't get me wrong, it is very challenging, but I don't want to race like an Arcade Gamer anymore; ...I want to experience the next best thing to actually driving a Formula One car. 

No I don't work for CodeMasters: I'm just a fan of F1, and I'm a fan of any Company that develops and promotes an F1 game for me to enjoy.

I'm now off to Mexico 👍 ☺️

FOV2.JPG

I don't know if you used those assists for 10 years with a wheel but if so, what's the point of wheel and rig if you use those assists? I know people do it, just can't wrap my head around why. You pay big money for wheel and rig, and then you put trainingwheels on your rig. 

Having said that, FINALLY! Welcome to the big boys😉 (i speak sarcasm fluently)

The rest of your points, agree, but hey, we've been shouting it for years

• Agree 2

@Marty_K_. Your methods mirror mine exactly. It was like I was reading my own post! Crucial part is yes I also lowered ai from 70 to 50 when I first turned off all assists. Then after first season I was back up to 70. After 2nd season I was up to 80. It's not that its actually easier to go faster without assists but that you have to learn how to driver better as well as know every turn and bump in more detail. Once you can't have brake and throttle just full on or full off anymore or throw the car around like a Mario kart it opens up a whole new world of detail. It really is like playing a different game and an exciting experience with depth, learning and improvement to look forward to.

When I used assists I couldn't do more than 25% length races as it just got too boring. Once I made the switch I went straight to full length as it gave me more time to practice plus make up for mistakes. I never would have imagined I could have driven for nearly 2 hours in a game before and been riveted to the screen so fully immersed before. Welcome to the real experience! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It makes a huge difference. When I come across a YT video and see it is in TV Pod, I can't watch even 2 seconds of it.  May as well be chase cam at that point.

Glad you were able to transition!

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, D4rio said:

Cockpit mode is so much more immersive and satisfying than t-cam view, when I first switched I couldn't come back to t-cam anymore. I might have lost some tenths a lap because of that but I regret nothing.

I agree too on Esports drivers should be forced to play in cockpit mode, I'm definitely not a fan of 100% race length though. 25% is more than enough

Esports not in cockpit is an abomination. Whoever decided that needs to have their card revoked. 

Tried my first 100% yesterday and made it to lap 30 or so at Hockenheim until I crashed out. lol. So, not too different than the actual race yesterday. Ha

25% is pretty good and what I race the most. Esports should be 100, though, IMO. Well. Unless it is 24H of Le Mans etc lol

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, DaleRossi said:

It makes a huge difference. When I come across a YT video and see it is in TV Pod, I can't watch even 2 seconds of it.  May as well be chase cam at that point.

Glad you were able to transition!

I watch some TV Pod users but it's just because I don't know any top-end drivers who have good content and use a cockpit view. Any advice?

1 hour ago, DaleRossi said:

Esports not in cockpit is an abomination. Whoever decided that needs to have their card revoked. 

Tried my first 100% yesterday and made it to lap 30 or so at Hockenheim until I crashed out. lol. So, not too different than the actual race yesterday. Ha

25% is pretty good and what I race the most. Esports should be 100, though, IMO. Well. Unless it is 24H of Le Mans etc lol

Talking about 24hr Le Mans... Iracing has 24 hour races which actually run full length. Driver swaps are involved of course which makes it possible. Lando Norris ran a 24hr Twitch stream last week as both he and Max Verstappen were racing for different teams in the same race. Highlight was Max braking his ridiculously expensive brake pedal during his stint to much mirth from Lando... Multiple memes followed.... Yes of course they were using cockpit cam too. 

:classic_cool:

• Agree 1

Max and lando were in the same team bro 😉

I keep trying this but I just cannot get to grips with it. Cockpit cam for me is a no brained, so much better. But yes the lack of mirrors is a pain. 

No matter how hard I practice with no assists I just can not string more than a couple of slow laps together without going off. 

Cockpit cam is only way for simracing but i feel like i have 30fps on cockpit. Playing on triple fov -0.75. All head moving and **** like this disabled but still feel something like micromoving on head

1 hour ago, janbonator said:

I watch some TV Pod users but it's just because I don't know any top-end drivers who have good content and use a cockpit view. Any 

Lando Norris and those guys all use it.  Usually you have to go to the sim channels and not channels specific to this game. Most of this game-specific channels only show TT setups anyway that are worthless in actual races. Or they may have an 10 minute 15 second Camera settings video in TV Pod. lol

Viperconcept has possibly the most useful all around sim channel I've found.  Simracing604 and Jimmy Broadbent are also good, as is EmptyBox.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

Highlight was Max braking his ridiculously expensive brake pedal during his stint to much mirth from Lando... Multiple memes followed.... Yes of course they were using cockpit cam too. 

:classic_cool:

I actually saw that! lmao 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnboy83 said:

I keep trying this but I just cannot get to grips with it. Cockpit cam for me is a no brained, so much better. But yes the lack of mirrors is a pain. 

No matter how hard I practice with no assists I just can not string more than a couple of slow laps together without going off. 

Which one gives you the most problems. With No TCS, be going straight OR make sure you are unwinding while applying throttle. You generally cannot mash the gas until you are at least half way through the RPMs of 3rd gear.

When turning and unwinding the wheel..the more you turn the wheel, the less throttle you have. It's like your shoelace is connected to the bottom of the wheel. Turn..foot comes up. Unwind, foot goes down.

It generally helps to start doing slow and deliberate laps forcing on using all the track and hitting the apexes. 

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

@Faya how does it feel to have more safety cars deploy in real-life than in your games? Four safety cars in one race. yet three games later some people cant get one in a whole season and still nothing is mentioned about a fix.

Disgrace    

Edited by Chromatic
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, SturmDesTodes said:

I can recommend to increase Look To Apex angle to 15°, helps a bit to see the mirrors and the corners.

I don't recommend this.

It can make what is actually a decent set up seem quite weird/floaty.

@Marty_K_ Same feeling I had last year with the assists and this year with the cockpit camera.

Happy you made "the step"! 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AlexTT said:

I don't know if you used those assists for 10 years with a wheel but if so, what's the point of wheel and rig if you use those assists? I know people do it, just can't wrap my head around why. You pay big money for wheel and rig, and then you put trainingwheels on your rig. 

Having said that, FINALLY! Welcome to the big boys😉 (i speak sarcasm fluently)

The rest of your points, agree, but hey, we've been shouting it for years

Ha!, simple answer @AlexTTwas because it was easy 🙂, ...and I was chasing that illusive 110% AI difficulty, which I knew that I'd never get without using any assists.

Now I don't care about the 110% AI Difficulty; ...I care about, and enjoy more, the racing experience 👍

PS: I'm upgrading to a Fanatec (F1) Wheel, Base & Pedals soon 🙂 

Edited by Marty_K_
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, SturmDesTodes said:

53 minutes ago, SIMRACER123 said:

I don't recommend this.

It can make what is actually a decent set up seem quite weird/floaty.

Hi @SturmDesTodes and @SIMRACER123, I appreciate the advice. I'm about to try it, and see what works for me 👍 I can't remember what Look to Apex is set at the moment. 

17 minutes ago, Marty_K_ said:

Hi @SturmDesTodes and @SIMRACER123, I appreciate the advice. I'm about to try it, and see what works for me 👍 I can't remember what Look to Apex is set at the moment. 

From what i recall its not actually set that high to start off with.

I changed mine down to zero degrees purely because i find it easier to hit the apex if the screen isn't moving an extra handful of degrees to look at the apex as i find i end up turning too much too early as the screen moves. ( This will make more sense when you play around with the setting )

The bonus to increasing the degrees isn't really to do with mirrors because by the time your turning its probably too late to see a lunge from behind.

Its more about making it easier to see more of the corner upon exit if your running a single monitor but its about finding a right balance for what you want.

Personally i would start off at Zero and increase by one degree at a time until you find what suits you.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

Which one gives you the most problems. With No TCS, be going straight OR make sure you are unwinding while applying throttle. You generally cannot mash the gas until you are at least half way through the RPMs of 3rd gear.

When turning and unwinding the wheel..the more you turn the wheel, the less throttle you have. It's like your shoelace is connected to the bottom of the wheel. Turn..foot comes up. Unwind, foot goes down.

It generally helps to start doing slow and deliberate laps forcing on using all the track and hitting the apexes. 

I use a pad which is why I Think I struggle with the breaks and throttle. 

Default look to Apex us 4, iirc.

This is my first F1 game really since Sega Genesis. Lol Had 2013 or so, but never played it.  I do know, as with any "sim", your Diff settings will make or break a setup. Especially a no assist setup.

• Thanks 1