Sign in to follow this  

Slow straight line speed

Hello,

I have the driver ai level on 70 and am driving for Williams in career mode. I regularly qualify between 14th-19th but in the race I've noticed that every other car including my teammates goes so much faster than me on the straights. It's basically impossible to stay Infront

Does anyone have any advice on why this is happening and how to stop it?

Thanks

have you checked the wing angle on the car? Are you turning the ERS up to high on the straights etc. The AI manage the ers really well this year and they usually have less wing on the car

1 hour ago, TCWorks said:

Hello,

I have the driver ai level on 70 and am driving for Williams in career mode. I regularly qualify between 14th-19th but in the race I've noticed that every other car including my teammates goes so much faster than me on the straights. It's basically impossible to stay Infront

Thanks

Also worth checking your acceleration input to make sure your getting 100% when pressing either your pedal or trigger if your using a controller.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, TomAAA said:

have you checked the wing angle on the car? Are you turning the ERS up to high on the straights etc. The AI manage the ers really well this year and they usually have less wing on the car

I don't really know what I'm doing with car setup so I tend to just choose from the standard ones the game gives.

I think you have a point with the ers as I normally just leave it on normal throughout the race

2 hours ago, TCWorks said:

Hello,

Thanks

Lando Norris said the same thing in one of his streams and he knows how to set up a car and use ers. It's poor AI programming. 

34 minutes ago, TCWorks said:

I don't really know what I'm doing with car setup so I tend to just choose from the standard ones the game gives.

I think you have a point with the ers as I normally just leave it on normal throughout the race

Try styx setup's on the car setup area on this site he does some nice tunes mainly for career mode but there's time trial setups aswell. Here's the link if you haven't already tried it out.

https://www.f1carsetup.com/index.php?/forum/407-f1-2019-setups/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TCWorks said:

Hello,

Thanks

In the loading screen theirs a option to lower your AI between sessions, make a note and adjust accordingly per circuit,

Shouldn't have to I agree, however only way I know around it, until its fixed / if its ever fixed.

Before I comment I do not yet own f1 2019 however, more of a point regarding real life setup application and straight line speed. 

From the setups in the links above everyone is running a higher rear wing. First this would cause mid corner understeer but also be very draggy? As in real life would a higher front wing not be a more preferable way to create a pointy car rather than using springs and anti roll? 

I see also many users have a stiffer rear roll and spring compared to the front. To aid acceleration and stability would it not be more suited to have the rear softer for the car to take its set quicker, plus anti roll bar in my understanding is mid corner balancing tool?

It just seems initially looking at it with experience of real life application, the majority of people are using aerodynamics and suspension in a similar trend. Is this by design or a work around to the current physics applied? 

Edited by atpMaverick

7 minutes ago, atpMaverick said:

Before I comment I do not yet own f1 2019 however, more of a point regarding real life setup application and straight line speed. 

From the setups in the links above everyone is running a higher rear wing. First this would cause mid corner understeer but also be very draggy? As in real life would a higher front wing not be a more preferable way to create a pointy car rather than using springs and anti roll? 

I see also many users have a stiffer rear roll and spring compared to the front. To aid acceleration and stability would it not be more suited to have the rear softer for the car to take its set quicker, plus anti roll bar in my understanding is mid corner balancing tool?

It just seems initially looking at it with experience of real life application, the majority of people are using aerodynamics and suspension in a similar trend. Is this by design or a work around to the current physics applied? 

Unfortunately F1 2019 setups have very little relation to reality. In the game front downforce creates more drag than rear. To be fair there could be a certain point to this, as the initial airflow to create desired vortices around the car is generated by the front wing - so perhaps they've thought of this in their simplification of aerodynamics. I suppose most players on power tracks prefer a car that is fast on the straights and understeery in corners.

What I've mostly seen is that the suspension stiffness is equal on both ends of the car, while roll-bar setting vary a lot. Me and I think many others try to overcome the inherit understeer in the handling model with suspension geometry, because there's not much else to fiddle around with. The camber settings for example are totally bizarre.

I think what describes the car setups pretty well is that if you lift the front ride height as high as possible and keep the rear low, your car will go faster on the straights.

• Like 1

Fair enough it did seem strange that the setups at first glance seemed totally counter intuitive to how me and many others would approach it. I agree from 2018 there are many settings that should be adjustable. 

Always known rear wings to be more draggy though. For thought at the front wing is direction of airflow, and the rear the release of drag through the end fences, slots and all manner of things across various racing disciplines. 

I worked more on the manufacture of engine covers and larger components so I could be wrong. 

Your point about ride height is kind of worrying, I get a flatter car is a faster car but not negatively by raising the front. 

• Agree 1

Most of my recent tuning experience comes from the 2 Project CARS games and I have to agree that some of the setups in F1 don't make sense to me and are against what I've learned about tuning cars. 

There's a lot of understeer in the handling model so I get the roll bar situation. It's all very simplified which is a shame but I guess they don't want people spending ages in the garage tuning.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, gtfclad82 said:

Also worth checking your acceleration input to make sure your getting 100% when pressing either your pedal or trigger if your using a controller.

Yep, if you're using a Logitech G29 Wheel set-up, this could be your problem. The Logitech G29 the Accelerator Pedal has been known to "spike", or "jump" between 60% - 100% at Full Throttle.

This has happened to me, after 12-months of use, with two (2) G29s. Simple fix is to clean the potentiometer with Contact Cleaner (spray). Long term fix (for me) was to replace the Accelerator potentiometer with the Clutch potentiometer. I never use the Clutch anyway.

My next wheel & pedals will definitely be a Fanatec.

6 hours ago, milook said:

Lando Norris said the same thing in one of his streams and he knows how to set up a car and use ers. It's poor AI programming. 

If its the video I'm thinking of he was running considerably more wing than what is considered the appropriate amount of wing for this game to be competitive.

I believe he was using a set up that in real life would be realistic however this is a game and as we know set ups in real life do not translate well to the game.

I guess in summary, i wouldn't read too much into that video.

As to the understeer comments of people of this years game, its actually pretty accurate. Sky F1 TV done a feature this weekend on car updates etc and they spoke to various drivers and one of the things that kept coming up is a driver complaint of understeer mid corner. Bottas and Grosjean complained quite a lot on the radio about it. 

Here is what Mercedes have been working on all year according to an engineer  "But once past that steering angle, the suspension leg forces the bracket to pivot downwards, effectively pulling the whole front of the car down. This will not only counteract the understeer inherent to an F1 car – and especially a long wheelbase F1 car – in slow corners by mechanical means "