Sign in to follow this  

AI Difficulty Settings, Track to Track

Posted (edited)

It seems like the AI is a fair amount stronger on some tracks than others and I know I've heard others say the same (I believe aarava has said as much on youtube).  I know this was the case last year--by the time I had completed a few seasons I had worked what AI settings I needed for each track to give me a race where it was neither easy nor impossible to compete with my teammate and comparably upgraded cars.  My 2018 settings wound up looking something like (IIRC):

• Most tracks at 103
  • Australia, Bahrain, Baku, Monaco 101
  • Canada, Abu Dhabi 102
  • Spa 104
  • China, Brazil 105
  • Austria 106

That wasn't perfect, Austria at 106 was still easier than Baku at 101, but perhaps only because I stink on city circuits.  

Anyway, I think if several different people would compile and post their handicapped AI difficulty settings, that could be and informative for ferreting out which tracks the AI is genuinely too strong (or weak) versus the player being relatively weak or strong on a given track. I'll certainly post my settings once I've had a chance to play through a proper career mode season or two.

Edited by stephen31416
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I agree. Maybe Bahrain is not in the same level as Baku IMO. For me another problem is that I always set qualy +2% than in the race.

Cheers

I'm currently going through season and writing down the AI levels that work well for me. So far I had to reduce AI level in Bahrain, Baku, USA (due to massive tyre overheating) and obviously Japan. I could bump AI up in Austria, Great Britain, Belgium and Russia. The differences however aren't big, I usually drive on 101-102 and go 1 up or down. I also sometimes reduce by 1 for qualy.

• Like 1

Use the qualifying practice program to set your ai difficulty.  For every .2 you beat or miss the purple score by, raise your difficulty by 1

• Agree 2

The biggest problem are the simulated quali fake times when you skip the q1/q2/q3 or use the time lapse

It's also be hard the balance as players can be different from the track as well. 

Australia. Q 80 R 80
Bahrain. Q 84 R 84
China. Q 82 R 82
Azerbaijan Q 82 R 82
Spain. Q 80 R 80
Monaco. Q 75 R 75
Canada. Q 82 R 82
France. Q 84 R 84
Austria. Q 91 R 91
Britain. Q 84 R 84
Germany. Q 82 R 82
Hungary. Q 90 R 82
Belgium. Q 90 R 84
Italy. Q 84 R 84
Singapore. Q 82 R 82
Russia. Q 88 R 84
Japan. Q 80 R 80
USA. Q 80 R 80
Mexico. Q 80 R 80
Brazil. Q 84 R 84
Abu Dhabi. Q 82 R 82

Hopefully they will patch the AI wet pace so I dont have to go through 21 tracks in the wet aswell 😂

1 hour ago, djparker79 said:

Australia. Q 80 R 80
Bahrain. Q 84 R 84
China. Q 82 R 82
Azerbaijan Q 82 R 82
Spain. Q 80 R 80
Monaco. Q 75 R 75
Canada. Q 82 R 82
France. Q 84 R 84
Austria. Q 91 R 91
Britain. Q 84 R 84
Germany. Q 82 R 82
Hungary. Q 90 R 82
Belgium. Q 90 R 84
Italy. Q 84 R 84
Singapore. Q 82 R 82
Russia. Q 88 R 84
Japan. Q 80 R 80
USA. Q 80 R 80
Mexico. Q 80 R 80
Brazil. Q 84 R 84
Abu Dhabi. Q 82 R 82

Awesome.  Once quite a few have posted these I'll compile and summarize in one post.

10 hours ago, Dunky1980 said:

It's also be hard the balance as players can be different from the track as well. 

This is one thing I'm hoping to figure out a bit -- I figure if one player after another rates a track as relatively hard, then that's a fair indication that the AI is over powered.  Alternatively if a track is rated as hard by some and easy by others, that's a fair indication it's the driver that's making the difference and not the AI.

2 hours ago, stephen31416 said:

Awesome.  Once quite a few have posted these I'll compile and summarize in one post.

I forgot to say, I try and keep the qualifying times to within a tenth or so either way of my teammate.

Posted (edited)

Australia: 106

China, Spain, Monaco, Canada, Austria, Silverstone, Hockeheim, Hungary, Spa, Monza, Singapore, Russia, Brazil: 105

Bahrain, Suzuka, Mexico, USA, Abu Dhabi: 104

Baku, Paul Ricard: 103

Majority of tracks I'm at 105 and then a few at 104 where I'm a little weaker. Baku and Paul Ricard are definitely the toughest tracks with the AI being very strong, especially sector 3 at Paul Ricard. 

Also find the AI balanced between qualifying and race. I run short qualifying and always drive out and drive back to pits to avoid any simulated lap times from the AI. That gives it more balance between quali and the race in my opinion as the AI don't end up with crazy fast laps in quali on the sim and then they could appear slower in the race.

Edited by Walsh89
  • Agree 2

I'm just getting started on my career, Australia and Bahrain so far, both with AI at 98.  Bahrain was just a bit tougher than Australia I thought.  

Posted (edited)

Have you ever considered that maybe it's not the AI that is inconsistent, but rather your performance varies due to your particular car not running well on certain tracks (which is realistic) or your setup for that particular track is not optimal? There's also the possibility that maybe you just don't perform well on some tracks.

Edited by HDR10
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, HDR10 said:

Have you ever considered that maybe it's not the AI that is inconsistent, but rather your performance varies due to your particular car not running well on certain tracks (which is realistic) or your setup for that particular track is not optimal? There's also the possibility that maybe you just don't perform well on some tracks.

That is absolutely true but I also think AI is not balanced as well. It's a mix of both. I'm saying this because there are tacks where it's noticeable some corners where the AI is slow. E.g. China.

Cheers

I'm surprised to see so many people struggling with Baku. I have the usual issues at Monaco that anyone using a controller seems to have, but for some reason I can just fly around Baku. I wish I could learn something from that fact that would make me less awful around Monaco and Singapore.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:21 PM, HDR10 said:

Have you ever considered...

I think it's very likely that I'm just not so great on some tracks.  For example, I got the impression that a lot of people thought Canada was pretty easy in 2018, I struggled horribly there.  Whether it's me or the AI is something I hope to sort out.  

I figure if 10 different players rate Baku as overpowered relative to China, then it's probably fair to say that the AI is tougher on Baku than China.

If 5 say that Australia is tougher than Britain, and 5 say Britain is tougher than Australia....that's probably a fair indication that it's coming down to driver skill and not AI.

• Agree 1

Had same issue for 2018

All tracks 106

Baku, Monaco, Suzuka, Brasil, 104

Bahrain 103

and for some reason first season williams i could run 110 ai every race.

103 most tracks

baku, monaco, suzuka, brasil, bahrain, abu dhabi  Dip up and down

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ThePeeks said:

Had same issue for 2018

All tracks 106

Baku, Monaco, Suzuka, Brasil, 104

Bahrain 103

and for some reason first season williams i could run 110 ai every race.

103 most tracks

baku, monaco, suzuka, brasil, bahrain, abu dhabi  Dip up and down

I think the reason why you played 110 first season is because it's easier to succeed in the back of the field (also in midfield). This also happens to me. I'm driving for Alfa Romeo and I can do well, but if I go to a top team (e.g. Ferrari in GP mode) it's too hard.

I'm finding China, Baku and especially France to be by far the hardest to be competitive, I went from qualifying 2nd in Canada to 20th in France (Ai 98, season 2).

Difficulty is all over the place this year. I have to tweak it for almost every race. Canada is always really easy and Monaco always way too hard but this year every track seems to vary massively. 

Posted (edited)
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:35 AM, 1henryw said:

I have to tweak it for almost every race. Canada is always really easy....

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:08 AM, Rinehart27 said:

I'm finding China, Baku and especially France to be by far the hardest to be competitive...

I'm just now a 3rd of the way through my first season.  I agree that the AI on Baku is way overpowered and haven't raced France, but I'm a 180 on China and Canada from above.   China was easy for me to outpace my teammate and comparable cars at 98, at Canada I had to cut the difficulty to 96 to be remotely competitive, albeit slightly slower.  

I'm tentatively starting to lean towards the idea that the player and not the AI explains quite a bit of the seeming disparity from track to track.  

Edited by stephen31416

Posted (edited)

I use 105 on almost all the tracks except Monaco(on 110, as i can get the Pole _by a margin_with a McLaren in season 1 on 105 difficulty) and Canada(110) so far like last year, i believe Singapore and Russia will be easy too, as it was the case in F1 2018.  also, i've made a mistake by doing Spanish GP on 105 and i have qualified on pole, so i had to equalize it by taking an engine penalty before the race to avoid an immersion killer situation, so the Spanish GP will be also a 110 for the next time.

*As a side note, i got faster and faster _specially at those 5 tracks above_ only because of stopping to use TC and ABS assist, now If i use TC i'll lose at least 0.6 to even 1 second in Canada/Monaco/Russia/Singapore/spain as it will kill my acceleration at corner exits, especially when i have an uphill straight after that exit (like after T1 at Monaco or the castle section and its following straight at Baku), also it gives me a little extra oversteer to play with (with a little over-revving) when i need it in tight corners or Chicanes.

Edited by farjam1990